Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Finley's Agent Calls Out Rodgers. Finley is Done.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
greenmachine

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously, where would you guys rank Finley with today's TE's? I know he probably thinks hes already a HOF (prob not literally but maybe...) but where would you rank him with the current crop.

Here's how I have it.

Gronkowski
Graham
Vernon Davis
Finley
Aaron Hernandez
Antonio Gates
Tony Gonzalez
Witten

Then there are the young guys like Fleener, Kyle Rudolph, Dickson and Pitta from Baltimore. But seriously Finley is overall like a top 5 TE in the game today.
I Am Rodgers

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Packerraymond wrote:
I Am Rodgers wrote:
Packerraymond wrote:
Can play Sherrod at TE, about an equal receiving threat.

Wow. Seriously Ray? He had 4 targets. 4, but go ahead and continue to speak garbage.

In almost a full season, you play an eligible OT there Im sure he can get half as much. If were gonna keep two blocking TE's on the team, why not just run a heavy package? Q has provided little to nothing to our offense, where as Finley, even when he has zero targets, pulls the safeties out of the middle of the field and regularly faces double teams. To say we could replace J-Mike with Q is the garbage. Q is a fine niche player, Finley is much more than that.

Read what I've said about Q and Fin. I know Q isn't the receiving threat Finley is, but he's more than twice the blocker. I don't want him to replace Finley. I want him to spell Finley for blocking purposes.

stallyns wrote:
Good thing for talky-talk Harbaugh he has an outstanding citizen/player like Aldon Smith on his team and not a classless hooligan like Clay Matthews.
Packerraymond

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasnt talking about your comments, just the ones in the thread that want Finley gone because "Q is coming back" there is no comparison between the two, while they play the same position, they couldnt be more different.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Packerraymond wrote:
I wasnt talking about your comments, just the ones in the thread that want Finley gone because "Q is coming back" there is no comparison between the two, while they play the same position, they couldnt be more different.

Yeah, I understand. It's a bit much. I would like to see more DJ Williams until Q gets back, just to see what we have there, but none of the TEs on the roster are a Finley in receiving. At least not yet from what we've seen.

stallyns wrote:
Good thing for talky-talk Harbaugh he has an outstanding citizen/player like Aldon Smith on his team and not a classless hooligan like Clay Matthews.
Ketchup

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greenmachine wrote:
Seriously, where would you guys rank Finley with today's TE's? I know he probably thinks hes already a HOF (prob not literally but maybe...) but where would you rank him with the current crop.

Here's how I have it.

Gronkowski
Graham
Vernon Davis
Finley
Aaron Hernandez
Antonio Gates
Tony Gonzalez
Witten

Then there are the young guys like Fleener, Kyle Rudolph, Dickson and Pitta from Baltimore. But seriously Finley is overall like a top 5 TE in the game today.
Its hard for me to even put him into the top 10 right now.

Kempes on the custom sig!
GBPackers79

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greenmachine wrote:
Seriously, where would you guys rank Finley with today's TE's? I know he probably thinks hes already a HOF (prob not literally but maybe...).

NO. HE DOESN'T.
spilltray

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not saying dump him right now, mid season, with no real replacement available, unless some team is willing to pay a huge price for him.

However, I would look into finding a replacement in the offseason and look to get him on his way. At the very least, I wouldn't be too hot to offer him another contract after next season unless he does somewhat of a 180.

It's not the personality. I can live with the constant stupid comments and don't really care about this agent stuff, but I just don't see him as having his head on right to ever be the best he could be.

And that list of TEs that was posted, I'd take every single one of them over Finley. Maybe a couple of others as well.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
IrishGreen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ketchup wrote:
greenmachine wrote:

Here's how I have it.

Gronkowski
Graham
Vernon Davis
Finley
Aaron Hernandez
Antonio Gates
Tony Gonzalez
Witten

Its hard for me to even put him into the top 10 right now.

yea for real.

a couple years ago i wouldve laughed at not having him top 2. boy it seems like he's regressed since that injury Confused

El Ramster on the amazing work
WIsportsfan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, no way is Finley right up there with Hernandez. Patriots actually went out and got Winslow and Branch to fill in while Hernandez is down. I'd give anything by seasons end to be able to legitimately say Finley is up there with those guys, but he sure hasn't shown a trend in that direction through the first two games.

It would feel like a swift kick to the man parts if he left here, signed somewhere else and finally got over the drops and lived up to his immense potential for another team.
Sandybaby716

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tough to say where he ranks among tight ends. Not on potential but just on how good he is right now.

Gronk
Graham
Vernon

those are the obvious ones.

Gates
Gonzales
Pettigrew

when considering blocking as well it would be a disservice to not include these guys for their complete games. Is Finley better than any of these guys overall? Tough to say.

Hernandez

kind of in a group of his own, but it isn't fair to say Finley's better than him considering how reliable he has been for the Pats.

after that you have these guys:
Celek
Bennett
Pitta
Chandler
Heath Miller
Brandon Myers
Rudolph

Those guys are all outproducing Finley this season so far (it's only been two weeks). Many are much more able blockers. Some, like Rudolph, are young guys breaking out. Others, like Miller, are older guys in a new situation that they're taking advantage of. Most are probably behind Finley, but some may be genuinely better. Tough to say which ones actually are at this point.

Then you have these guys:

Owen Daniels
Cook
Gresham
Witten
Fred Davis

These guys are putting up similar numbers to Finley so far yet have a lot of talent. Each could start outproducing Finley at any time. They have the ability to breakout or return to former glory (depending on their background).

It is a very interesting season for the TE position. Rankings should be fluid all season long.

Right now my list would be
Gronk
Graham
Vernon
Gates
Hernandez
Gonzales
Finley
Pettigrew
Pitta
Bennett

palmy50

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Packerraymond wrote:

I'm not real sure I agree with this. Hell, I truly feel they drafted Q because of the Finley like. There are some different parts there but that's the case with all of them. I mean, have those boys stand side by side! Not like Q is an extra lineman. He just takes pride in his blocking and that's anything but the case with Finley. I can tell you first hand that Q is a MUCH better athlete than he gets credit for on here from time to time. He lacks Finley's short area movement skills and body control. But he might be a hair faster than Finley and fights a good bit more on all levels.

Just sayin. Finley clearly has about as much god given ability as any of them. But there was a reason why my boy Q was a 5* kid out of high school also. I don't think he was born with as much as Finley, but might be closer than some think.

The biggest difference is that Finley has some "special" parts. That's not to say the sum of all the parts are that much better though.

Look, I'm not saying to give up on Finley. I'll be the first one to tell ya that letting the special parts get away is a terrible idea more times than not. Just saying that given the balls I bet the stat line would be damn close come years end for both. Finley will just have a different affect on the game at first snap.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:
Packerraymond wrote:

I'm not real sure I agree with this. Hell, I truly feel they drafted Q because of the Finley like. There are some different parts there but that's the case with all of them. I mean, have those boys stand side by side! Not like Q is an extra lineman. He just takes pride in his blocking and that's anything but the case with Finley. I can tell you first hand that Q is a MUCH better athlete than he gets credit for on here from time to time. He lacks Finley's short area movement skills and body control. But he might be a hair faster than Finley and fights a good bit more on all levels.

Just sayin. Finley clearly has about as much god given ability as any of them. But there was a reason why my boy Q was a 5* kid out of high school also. I don't think he was born with as much as Finley, but might be closer than some think.

The biggest difference is that Finley has some "special" parts. That's not to say the sum of all the parts are that much better though.

Look, I'm not saying to give up on Finley. I'll be the first one to tell ya that letting the special parts get away is a terrible idea more times than not. Just saying that given the balls I bet the stat line would be damn close come years end for both. Finley will just have a different affect on the game at first snap.

I think I compared Quarless to Finely in much the same way two years ago and got driven off the board for it. What I see in Q is a lithe athlete that can play football. I think he has better hands and I think he is a better blocker. I think Finely is a flash in the pan and I think Q will be a much more steady player in the long run. Finely is a specimen, Q is a football player. I will take the latter for less money every time.
"How must I prepare myself? Should I jump off the tallest building in the world? Should I lie in the lawn and let it run over me with lawnmowers? Should I go to Africa and let it trample me with raging elephants?"-The Ultimate Warrior
Pugger

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if Q comes back later this season or next will he be the same as he was before that horrible injury?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattlock76 wrote:
I think I compared Quarless to Finely in much the same way two years ago and got driven off the board for it. What I see in Q is a lithe athlete that can play football. I think he has better hands and I think he is a better blocker. I think Finely is a flash in the pan and I think Q will be a much more steady player in the long run. Finely is a specimen, Q is a football player. I will take the latter for less money every time.

I'm surprised, I always felt they were similar too.

Main difference is, Finley wants to get the most attention. All the YOTTO crap, the talk he had a couple seasons ago about breaking records, the way he talks about himself, he wants to be a celebrity.

Quarless seems to want to be the best possible football player. He's not out here assuming it's going to come to him, he has worked at it. I didn't like Q at first, but he grew on me as he worked to become effective in all aspects of his game. I want my receiving TE to be willing to throw some blocks for the good of the team. I don't see Finley ever doing that.

ChaRisMa

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Finley and Quarless were both receiving TEs coming out. Only difference is Finley focused on receiving and Quarless focused on blocking. Which is pretty typical for first and second stringers.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10

Jump to: