Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Report: Patriots setting up Wes Welker trade?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject: Report: Patriots setting up Wes Welker trade? Reply with quote

Quote:
Are the Patriots setting up Welker for a trade? League sources think so.

http://twitter.com/realfreemancbs/statuses/248443276816941057

CBS Mike Freeman is very reliable, it's not just some random twitter account.
Tom Brady Tribute
GoldenboyGB

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Making a big deal out of nothing.

Welker is going to be featured for the next month.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the trade deadline at Week 8 now, I suppose we could use WW until Hernandez is back and then hopefully get a 2nd Round Pick for him.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomRalph wrote:
With the trade deadline at Week 8 now, I suppose we could use WW until Hernandez is back and then hopefully get a 2nd Round Pick for him.

Unless Edelman totally dominates or the plan is to resign Gaffney after trading Welker do you really wish to trade him if were going to make a serious push at another super bowl bid?

Why not keep him and if he resigns after the year he does and if he doesn't he just walks? I rather go all cards in than trade one of our elders in the locker room mid year.

-Feature Wes as the slot guy
-Take the loss of having Hernandez line up everywhere for the next month or so
-When Hernandez comes back you have more separation for Wes and still a valuable piece to go to in the offense

Trading him would be a benefit for the future and next years squad with whatever player we choose but it wouldn't be worth the loss we would face this year.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who would want to trade for Wes and that 10million tag?
finn54

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's possible. I mean, i don't think the patriots would say "absolutely no way". It depends entirely on what other teams are willing to offer for him. If, say, someone like the Cowboys offered a decent draft pick, i could see it happening. However, i don't think there would be many teams in the market for Welker.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Report: Patriots setting up Wes Welker trade? Reply with quote

Billy Spikes wrote:
Quote:
Are the Patriots setting up Welker for a trade? League sources think so.

http://twitter.com/realfreemancbs/statuses/248443276816941057

CBS Mike Freeman is very reliable, it's not just some random twitter account.

While I think their could be a market for Welker, with him making just under $9.5m I think it'll be tough to get much out of him. First we're talking about a team needing a commitment from Welker to sign a more long term type of deal, then we're talking about a team that Welker could sort of "put over the top" to want to spend that kind of money on him, plus the Patriots are going to have expectations of what they'll want to get back in return.

That's a lot of component pieces for a deal. It likely wouldn't get done until the deadline- if it does at all. I'm thinking a 4th round pick would be Patriots best case scenario... and worst case might be a late 5th round pick. If not within that draft range a deal probably won't get done I'm guessing.

Just an outside guess.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There would either have to be another player coming back to the Pats or Welker would be going to a bad team. I don't think any of the real contenders have the cap room to take his salary without giving anything up.
NinjaZX6R

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kansas City?
Richter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciz wrote:
There would either have to be another player coming back to the Pats or Welker would be going to a bad team. I don't think any of the real contenders have the cap room to take his salary without giving anything up.

Not true at all. The Eagles have over 24 million in cap space. The Buccaneers (who could use a guy like Welker inside to go with Jackson and Williams) have over 13 million. Even the Broncos could take him on. It's not outside the realm of possibility.
Sciz

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richter wrote:
Sciz wrote:

Not true at all. The Eagles have over 24 million in cap space. The Buccaneers (who could use a guy like Welker inside to go with Jackson and Williams) have over 13 million. Even the Broncos could take him on. It's not outside the realm of possibility.

Well, I didn't consider those first two contenders last time I saw cap room numbers. Amazing how things change in two weeks Laughing
Grachuus

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see how this would work. Welker can't negotiate for a longer contract if he gets traded. So the team that gets him has to still woo him to stay longer.

Mark Twain wrote:
Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination.

QBvsDefensiveQuality
Richter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciz wrote:
Richter wrote:
Sciz wrote:

Well, I didn't consider those first two contenders last time I saw cap room numbers. Amazing how things change in two weeks :lol:

It's not whether you consider them contenders, it's whether they do. I don't think any of them truly contend, but I'm sure all three of those teams are still hopeful this early in the season, especially the 2-0 Eagles.
BradyFan12

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NinjaZX6R wrote:
Kansas City?

This is beyond wishful thinking but the amount of players/picks I would trade for Eric Berry is almost inconceivable.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BradyFan12 wrote:
NinjaZX6R wrote:
Kansas City?

This is beyond wishful thinking but the amount of players/picks I would trade for Eric Berry is almost unlimited.

Berry doesn't seem like the same player this season, not playing like he did before his injury from what i noticed.
Tom Brady Tribute

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: