Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Cardinals @ Patriots - Week 2 Defensive Metrics
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
khodder

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:42 am    Post subject: Cardinals @ Patriots - Week 2 Defensive Metrics Reply with quote

I might have a look again to have a look more specifically at the coverages we were playing however from my initial look through we played a heck of a lot more zone coverage this week, it was close to 50/50 man or zone this week whereas against Seattle we played almost exclusively man coverage.

Daryl Washington's day look like a bit of a stinker, but in reality he was dealt some very tough matchups in man coverage which included at different periods of time him playing man coverage and allowing catches to Wes Welker, Rob Gronkowski and Julian Edelman.

Adrian Wilson along with Washington took most of the coverage responsibility on Gronkowski, with Lenon playing him in the fourth quarter, both of Lenon's targets and allowed catches were Gronkowski in man coverage.

Patrick Peterson through two weeks, 11 targets, 1 catch allowed.

Entering the fourth quarter Jamell Fleming had been targeted once and not allowed a catch. In the fourth quarter he allowed all four of his targets to be completed for 44 yards.

William Gay was repeatedly picked on in the slot where he was playing Edelman and Welker a lot. Welker is the cause of most of his damage.

The Patriots threw a lot of smoke routes (classified here as a screen) when the Cardinals were in off coverage. In fact most of the first quarter consistent of these plays.

Because of the fact we played nickel just about all day Acho, Schofield and Groves was almost always used to rush the passer and create a four man rush.

The pressure metrics could be a little bit off, but our pass rush was very sporadic, most of the game Brady had a clean pocket to operate from. Sam Acho was our only consistent pressure rushing the passer, Dockett was well contained, but had a big impact in the few rushing plays I watched. Campbell's two sacks were A] A coverage sack and B] A result of a hurry from Acho forcing Brady to step into the arms of Calais.

Any questions about specific plays, offensive or defensive, let me know and I will do my best to answer them.

***BONUS***

I watched Ryan Williams' late runs, the first, for five yards he missed a cutback lane that could have extended the play to a 10-15 yard gain. The 13 yard gain was a good run, found a cutback hole and hit it hard. The -4 yard loss he had nowhere to go, Brace was in him in a flash. The 1 yard run is a play that could have been a big gainer as the Patriots were fully committed to the run. The toss was well executed, Ryan needs to put two hands on the football in that situation, Spikes made a great play to (literally) put a helmet on the football and pop it loose.

***BONUS***

Conductor of the Keith Wenning bandwagon.
Zach Hodges is a 1st Round Pick in 2015.
stchamp98

Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"William Gay was repeatedly picked on in the slot where he was playing Edelman and Welker a lot. Welker is the cause of most of his damage."

I don't know....60 yards on 10 targets to Welker and Edelman? For Gay, I'll take that every day and twice on Sunday.

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stchamp98 wrote:
"William Gay was repeatedly picked on in the slot where he was playing Edelman and Welker a lot. Welker is the cause of most of his damage."

I don't know....60 yards on 10 targets to Welker and Edelman? For Gay, I'll take that every day and twice on Sunday.

Being picked on does not mean he was losing those battles. And it seems the Patriots learned later in the game. They threw his way a lot early and through the middle period and then began to attack Fleming late.

Was not saying Gay played badly, just that he was the player attacked most.

iRobot

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArizonaSports reported that Peterson was targeted 6 times in the game and allowed 2 receptions. Wonder what they consider Peterson in coverage or if they just think that since he was close enough to be considered.
khodder

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iRobot wrote:
ArizonaSports reported that Peterson was targeted 6 times in the game and allowed 2 receptions. Wonder what they consider Peterson in coverage or if they just think that since he was close enough to be considered.

Same numbers that PFF reported, I beleive that will be where there numbers are from.

1st-10, NE18 5:42 T. Brady passed to J. Edelman to the right for 9 yard gain

I beleive that is the play that they gave as Peterson's second allowed catch. It is a clear cover three. Gay is playing a short zone, Peterson a deep zone. The route is an out route by Edelman which ends up just behind Gay's zone, but in front of Peterson's. It is a well designed zone beater. I beleive I gave it to hole in zone in my metrics post, I can see how they would give it to Peterson or Gay, but I felt neither really had true responsibility for that area, and if I were to charge either with it it would be Gay who is more responsible for that area of the field.

That there is the other play in this game they would credit him with (1 target, 1 catch would bring me back to the 6-2 number)

PFF also credit him with two screen passes allowed to Baldwin in week one.

khodder

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Straight from Horton, vs Seattle we bought pressure on 80% of snaps, against New England we bought pressure on...ONE SNAP.

iRobot

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khodder wrote:
Straight from Horton, vs Seattle we bought pressure on 80% of snaps, against New England we bought pressure on...ONE SNAP.

I just heard it on the audio from Doug and Wolf too lol
stchamp98

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khodder wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:

Being picked on does not mean he was losing those battles. And it seems the Patriots learned later in the game. They threw his way a lot early and through the middle period and then began to attack Fleming late.

Was not saying Gay played badly, just that he was the player attacked most.

Oh ok, I gotcha now. I was just gonna say, 62 yards on that many targets against Tom Brady and Patriots is something I'm good with from William Gay.

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No questions? Nobody want to know anything extra?

younggun1273

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How was Adrian Wilson in man coverage overall? I see the graph says one target for 0 catches, but his man coverage has been one of his weakest areas in the pass. If he looked good against Gronk, you have to think he would look good against lesser TEs that we face later in the year like Jermichael Finley and Tony Gonzalez.

Justo on the sig
khodder

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

younggun1273 wrote:
How was Adrian Wilson in man coverage overall? I see the graph says one target for 0 catches, but his man coverage has been one of his weakest areas in the pass. If he looked good against Gronk, you have to think he would look good against lesser TEs that we face later in the year like Jermichael Finley and Tony Gonzalez.

I will have a look over a few more plays tonight to see how often he was matched up on Gronk, but overall I don't think that matchup happened all that often. Most of the time it was Lenon or Washington on Gronk. Wilson did some work, most of it over top top zones though, or as part of a double team on him.

So far this season his coverage has looked very good.

khodder

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Completely random has little to do with anything stat. William Gay and Lerry Rhodes both played in the same Louisville secondary in 2004.

stchamp98

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have one question, although I'm not sure if it can answered (Though if anyone could, it would be you Khodder), what is the league average YPC allowance on screen passes? Where do we stand league wide in that area?

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khodder wrote:

I beleive that is the play that they gave as Peterson's second allowed catch. It is a clear cover three. Gay is playing a short zone, Peterson a deep zone. The route is an out route by Edelman which ends up just behind Gay's zone, but in front of Peterson's. It is a well designed zone beater. I beleive I gave it to hole in zone in my metrics post, I can see how they would give it to Peterson or Gay, but I felt neither really had true responsibility for that area, and if I were to charge either with it it would be Gay who is more responsible for that area of the field.

I have successfully lobbied PFF to credit this as a catch allowed by Gay and not Peterson. #Winning?

Also week three should be up as soon as my Gamepass subscription comes through.

stchamp98

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khodder wrote:
khodder wrote:

I have successfully lobbied PFF to credit this as a catch allowed by Gay and not Peterson. #Winning?

Also week three should be up as soon as my Gamepass subscription comes through.

LOL, no kidding? Good for you man. About time they start taking the word of other knowledgable football minds.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: