Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2013 Team Needs Thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Its A Sabotage

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: 2013 Team Needs Thread Reply with quote

Week Three: September 18th, 2012

Team Needs:
RT
RG
C
SLB
DE
CB
WR
RB
S

What do you think?

Thought process: Eben is never healthy and is going to be facing a new contract sooner rather than later, we have two others in Baldridge and Bradfield, but if neither are an option, we are stuck with Guy Whimper. In a similar spot, we have Uche, Rackley, Brewster and Meester, along with Nowalk stashed on I.R.. I expect Nowalk will be the considered a starter (more than likely Rackley as well) after a year to sit, get bigger/stronger, while learning the NFL game. Realistically the Offensive should look like Monroe-Uche-Brewster-Rackley-Eben, but this hasn't worked and will look more muddled/patchworked if it isn't addressed. Sticking with the Offensive side, we need either another piece, wheather it is at TE, WR, or RB to take the pressure off of Maurice (one year left), Jennings (contract is up), Marcedes (inconsistent), Blackmon (rookie), Thomas/Robinson (inconsistent), and Shorts (don't know what he is yet).

Moving to the Defense, we are going to be a pinch, with Derek coming up on a new contract, but is good when healthy, which is never. Ross hasn't looked the best, Mathis is on a 1 year deal, and the rest is pretty average. This could be the first spot to look at in the first round of the draft, but who knows. Defensive End has been an issue for a while and 2 games into Branch's time on the line, he has been up and down, with he and Mincey both not getting to the quarterback enough to be effective or disrupt the passing game, end looks a place that will be looked in the offseason. The linebacking core is a mess. Yes, Daryl is out with injury and we are down Session, but they can't tackle, and includes Paul Pos as well.

#JDI
KhanYouDigIt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't read the tiny print, so your reasoning might be in there but why is RG a need?

TEDDY TEDDY TEDDY

Props to JMG on the sig
KhanYouDigIt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our main need is talent.

Position of needs IMO:

RT- Bradfield is an unknown right now, he could be the future at RT. Until then, it's a need.
C- Successor to Meester. I'm not fond of Estes like the team is.
WLB- I'd love it if Session came back to full strength but with concussions, you never know. Allen is decent but he's not anything special.
CB- Cox injury prone and is FA after this season. Mathis is on 1 year deal to prove himself. Ross sucks.
DE- After Branch and Mincey, we have meh. Can't have enough good pass rushers.

SLB won't be a need because I think we will, and we better, resign Daryl.

TEDDY TEDDY TEDDY

Props to JMG on the sig
iPwn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QB - Gabbert has gotten better, but after last week, it may not be enough better. It's an area that'll have to be watched as the year goes on, but it needs to get better. Whether that's via Gabbert or someone else, I don't know.

WR - We seem to have a good group that is missing a #1 still.

OL - We need help everywhere here to the right of Monroe, whether it be depth or a starter.

DE - We need more depth here, possibly a starter.

WLB - Not sure if Session will come back, and it'd be nice to actually have someone who can blitz effectively and consistently from the LB position. Another good spot starter would be really great as well.

CB - If Cox can't stay healthy, we need someone to come in and be the #1. We also need a #2 for the future.

Some of these might be on the roster now, and just need time to develop, but that's the general vibe I get.

- Best since day one -
The road to success is always under construction - Gus Bradley
MoJo122-b-21

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Needs in September are usually a bit different than the needs in March.

"We're not trying to win the AFC South, we're trying to own the AFC South."
- Gus Bradley
DjBuddaH

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that Brewster will be this teams OC after Meester retires. He's getting a lot of playing time in right now and I think allowing him to play these games and letting him settle into the speed of the NFL will only help him in the future. He can solve alot for this team if he can progress well...so far so good.

CB is our biggest need imo. This league is a passing league and we have a horrible pass D. We can't stay healthy and the best way to combat that problem is to put as many quality players at the position so there isn't a huge drop off. We may resign Cox, but he may be asking for too much money for too much of the hassle of keeping an injury prone player at a position we need more consistency at. Rashean is on his last leg. And Ross hasn't been stellar so far. I like Middelton, but he's been inconsistent as well.

Session being out from concussions is one of the biggest punches in the gut. He is a phenomenal player but can't stay on the field. Allen is a great back-up. He seems to have Rob Meier sickness. Great when he plays spot duty....sub-par when starting. And with Daryl getting older we need some youth at the position....especially pass0rushing youth.

Those are my main positions that should be addressed along with RT being up there. Other than that, I would love more weapons for Blaine (10 completions a game won't win us many games....let alone doubling your pass yardage on 1 play with a minute left), and last but not least.....please get rid of Guy Whimper.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=7978242#7978242
Esteban wrote:
If people would listen to my advice I would give it but until then I wont
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoJo122-b-21 wrote:
Needs in September are usually a bit different than the needs in March.

true but its never too early to think about where we can improve

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you draft a QB in the first round I think its around a 50% chance that QB will be a success. I'm sure I will get flamed for this but if Gabbert continues playing like he did in week 2-3 it's time to roll the dice again. Frankly without a franchise QB all other needs pale in comparison.

I haven't seen much talk about this but what the heck is up with Gabby? He has his best game ever in week 1 and then follows it up with the worst offensive performance in jags history! You could chock it up too a fantastic Texans D but week 3 (minus 1 big play) was just as bad.

Obviously he needs to be given at least the rest of the season before decisions are made.I think as a fanbase we are so used to defending Gabbert that pointing out how awful he is playing is taboo. There are a litany of reasons of why last year went horribly wrong but there comes a time when Gabbert simply must play CONSISTENTLY better or it is time too move on. When exactly that time is I'm sure will vary between all of us, in my opinion I can't see the wisdom in entering the 2013 season with a Gabbert that can string together two games like the ones in week 2 and 3.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

its still way too early to talk about replacing him

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
Is it still too early at the end of the season?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this thread, it's pretty evident...this team has a LOT of needs still. I really think that after a couple straight years of moving up to get 'our guy', this is a year where we could make out well for ourselves finding a partner to move back and pick up something extra. With the number of needs we have at the top end of things, coming away from the draft with THREE 1st/early 2nd grade players instead of just two, seems like a very good idea.

Obviously it depends where we end up, and if there's a player you just can't say no to available...but for the most part, this looks like a prime trade-back year, where we can hopefully fill 3 needs with high end picks.

As it stands right now, i'd rank our needs as:

1.O-Line. Top end starter types, particularly a RT would be swell. Probably a very solid G as well, depending on how the situation plays out with Britton. Maybe more.

2.LB. We badly need an infusion of youth there, with Sessions...damaged, and Smith battling his own age/injury issues. The difference between this defense with solid linebackers (last year) and so far this year, without...is night and day. Time to shore up this important element.

3.DE. Branch has room to grow and Mincey is good, but i think bringing in a top-tier pass-rusher who can come away with the sacks that we seem to lack, would be huge.

4.CB. Mathis and Cox are a solid duo right now when healthy, but Mathis isn't young, with maybe a year left of top end play, and Cox is enigmatic to say the least. His inability to stay healthy makes CB an important upgrade for us.

Those are the 4 biggest ones that really need to be addressed. It would also be nice to add more weapons for the offense. We could really use a quick outside guy with size+speed at the WR position to do what Robinson was 'supposed' to do (unless he breaks out this season, or Shorts III starts turning up with those sort of catches with some regularity).

Addressing the RB position for the future wouldn't be a bad idea either, and is something we should be able to do in the mid-later rounds. MJD+Jennings is as good a tandem as any right now, but MJD is wearing down, and Jennings might be a capable feature back, but he'll need solid support from a very good complementary back if that's going to happen.

Realistically, there aren't many positions at all on this football team where we couldn't really use an upgrade or more top-end depth. This team needs a good shot of fresh talent, and ultimately, adding dynamic talent to this roster probably trumps specific 'need' in most circumstances for us right now.
Tugboat

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sadjag wrote:
When you draft a QB in the first round I think its around a 50% chance that QB will be a success. I'm sure I will get flamed for this but if Gabbert continues playing like he did in week 2-3 it's time to roll the dice again. Frankly without a franchise QB all other needs pale in comparison.

I haven't seen much talk about this but what the heck is up with Gabby? He has his best game ever in week 1 and then follows it up with the worst offensive performance in jags history! You could chock it up too a fantastic Texans D but week 3 (minus 1 big play) was just as bad.

Obviously he needs to be given at least the rest of the season before decisions are made.I think as a fanbase we are so used to defending Gabbert that pointing out how awful he is playing is taboo. There are a litany of reasons of why last year went horribly wrong but there comes a time when Gabbert simply must play CONSISTENTLY better or it is time too move on. When exactly that time is I'm sure will vary between all of us, in my opinion I can't see the wisdom in entering the 2013 season with a Gabbert that can string together two games like the ones in week 2 and 3.

If Gabbert is looking like he needs replacement by the end of the season, i suppose you could start looking at someone. But even if he doesn't put together the season we're all hoping for (and there's still plenty of time to do so), i think he still has another year grace period to establish himself. On the one hand, sticking with a bust QB for too long can be devastating to a franchise...but as it stands, i don't think 3 years (with the first of those being a terrible situation that shouldn't have happened) is too long at all. We can't really afford to have a miss there, and we owe it to Blaine, Gene, and ourselves as fans to let this thing play out and see where we're at after year 3.

I'd also add, that i'm not at all enamoured with this year's QB prospect crop, particularly at the top end. A lot of guys with some big questionmarks for me, including the headliner Barkley.

However, that said...if Gabbert is still looking 'shaky' come seasons end, i wouldn't be opposed to taking a mid-round QB project as a 'hope and a prayer' sort of pick. A guy with some upside/tools who we can sit for a year and try to develop. Gives Gabbert his 3rd year to step up. If Gabbert proves himself capable, fine, we have a 3rd/4th round pick invested in a backup QB project. If not, we have a guy who might be able to step in after a year on the bench...and we're not necessarily backed into a corner, forced to spend a 1st round pick on a QB. Investing another 1st round pick in a QB would set this franchise back quite a bit...but hitting on a starting with a 3rd or 4th rounder, would recoup the loss of a bust. Hedging our bets sort of strategy i guess.

The two guys i've had my eye on in this regard, are Landry Jones and Aaron Murray. Yes, they've both got serious questionmarks, but for a 3rd/4th round pick, i'm willing to live with that and roll the dice on it. Jones has plenty of work to do in transitioning to a pro offense and his decision making, etc. etc., but there are raw physical tools there that i like a lot. Murray obviously a bit the opposite. The 'size' question obviously the first thing to mind, but he seems a smart QB with a ton of other things going for him, and we have seen 'shorter' QBs having some success these days.

That's basically where i stand on the whole 'QB thing'. Very opposed to a 1st round QB basically no matter what happens with Gabbert this year. But also very open to a mid-round project QB selection this year. If Gabbert takes that as a warning shot across the bow...that's probably because that's what it would be. We do have a ton of other needs, but as mentioned in the quoted post, QB is a need that essentially trumps all others in today's NFL.
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sadjag wrote:
JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
Is it still too early at the end of the season?

no but there is a lot of football left to play, if he plays like he did in week 1 for pretty much the rest of the season, should he be replaced if we go 4-12?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lack of talent and depth on this team is staggering, outside of MJD their are no game breakers on this offense the o-line is in shambles it's just disheartening to under go year after year of expectations being so optimistic in the off season and then the season kicks off and there is not much in a change from last year. I would be in a better place if I can view a game and feel as if hey we hung in there tough and we just couldn't pull it out at the end but we are getting whooped in every aspect of the game week in and week out and to think this is the easy part of our schedule after the bye we are going to be brutalized.
jagman777

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

QB

TE

WR

OT

C

DE

LB

CB

Crying or Very sad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: