Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Harris, Holmes, and Cromartie on Forbes NFL most overpaid...
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
ekill08x


Joined: 05 Oct 2005
Posts: 8528
Location: Patchogue, New York
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:33 pm    Post subject: Harris, Holmes, and Cromartie on Forbes NFL most overpaid... Reply with quote

http://www.silive.com/jets/index.ssf/2012/09/three_jets_make_forbes_list_as_nfls_most_overpaid_players.html

Tannenbaum hasnt really done a great job the past 2 offseasons. The contracts to every one of these players are down right ridiculous. That and the fact that Tannenbaum is one of the poorer drafting GMs doesn't sit well with me nor does it make me confident about this teams future. I hate to be pessimistic, but theres just no way in hell this team ever wins a championship the way its configured or the way it does business. We need someone in here that knows how to build a program the right way.
_________________

Props to JMG on the sig as usual
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
green24


Joined: 10 Apr 2010
Posts: 42958
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harris absolutely should not be on that list. Neither should Cromartie.
_________________
ANTHONY RECKER = LIFE
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Malik


Joined: 18 Dec 2011
Posts: 4136
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cro would get much more love if he wasn't on the same team as Revis.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Karmaloop


Joined: 01 Mar 2008
Posts: 30720
Location: Queens, NY
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cromartie is not overpaid. Harris is slightly, but doesn't deserve to be on the list.

I can agree with Holmes.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Davey


Moderator
Joined: 28 Jan 2006
Posts: 21268
Location: New Jersey
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's pretty misleading to take one specific year and trumpet it like it's the player's yearly average. All three players signed deals worth their values, more or less, outside of Holmes arguably.

Tannenbaum signing players in the prime of their careers to long term deals worth their market value doesn't mean he's doing a bad job. Quite the opposite in fact. Again, outside of Holmes.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
ekill08x


Joined: 05 Oct 2005
Posts: 8528
Location: Patchogue, New York
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

green24 wrote:
Harris absolutely should not be on that list. Neither should Cromartie.


Completely disagree. Harris makes 12 million a year and is as one dimensional of a LB as they come. The dude is great at stopping the run, but isnt fast and is a big liability in coverage regardless of the drop in weight. We could have had 4 different LBs in free agency for half of that. I like Harris a lot but that a bad contract.

Holmes is easily the one who deserves to be on this list the most. They guy has disappeared since 2010. We would have been a lot better off with Braylon Edwards who would have stayed here for pennies because he wanted to be here and wouldn't have caused the drama Holmes did last year.

Cro is borderline. Hes got talent but its tough to pay a guy 8 million a year when were going to have to pay Revis close to 15. Thats 23 million wrapped up in one position and we still struggle to stop good passing attacks due to no pass rushers, not a smart way to budget the money throughout the roster. I think we tend overate a lot of the moves Tannenbaum makes and fail to see the issues this team has. This is not a roster that can contend for a championship.
_________________

Props to JMG on the sig as usual
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
green24


Joined: 10 Apr 2010
Posts: 42958
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ekill08x wrote:
green24 wrote:
Harris absolutely should not be on that list. Neither should Cromartie.


Completely disagree. Harris makes 12 million a year and is as one dimensional of a LB as they come. The dude is great at stopping the run, but isnt fast and is a big liability in coverage regardless of the drop in weight. We could have had 4 different LBs in free agency for half of that. I like Harris a lot but that a bad contract.

Holmes is easily the one who deserves to be on this list the most. They guy has disappeared since 2010. We would have been a lot better off with Braylon Edwards who would have stayed here for pennies because he wanted to be here and wouldn't have caused the drama Holmes did last year.

Cro is borderline. Hes got talent but its tough to pay a guy 8 million a year when were going to have to pay Revis close to 15. Thats 23 million wrapped up in one position and we still struggle to stop good passing attacks due to no pass rushers, not a smart way to budget the money throughout the roster. I think we tend overate a lot of the moves Tannenbaum makes and fail to see the issues this team has. This is not a roster that can contend for a championship.


Harris only makes $9 million per year. His contract pays him $36M over 4 years. This happens to be the year where he's paid a lot of that money. Holmes should be #1 on this list. Cromartie may not deserve THAT much, but his contract is not that far off from what he's worth. He's not a bad CB.
_________________
ANTHONY RECKER = LIFE
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Karmaloop


Joined: 01 Mar 2008
Posts: 30720
Location: Queens, NY
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harris makes $9M per year on average. That's not drastically overpaid.

Cromartie is arguably the best #2 CB in the league -- and CBs are getting expensive. He's not overpaid.

Your (ekill08x) cynicism is reaching new heights.
_________________


Last edited by Karmaloop on Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rickyt31


Joined: 29 Dec 2008
Posts: 6626
Location: HEATlanta , GA
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Holmes is an overpaid slot WR.

Cromartie is debatable. But there isn't to many #2 CB's better than him.

Harris, its a tough one, but he is getting a lot of money. But I see why we gave him the contract at the time. I would like to see more 100+ tackle seasons from him.
_________________

Quote:
Life passes most people by while they're busy making grand plans for it. - Johnny Depp
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
teamorange


Joined: 15 Nov 2010
Posts: 11412
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forbes methodology is pretty flawed and outright lied. They took this year's cap hit and applied to on the field performances and award accolades. They said Harris was the 2nd highest payed defensive player (going by 2012 cap hit (the figure they are using), which is flawed in and of itself) they are wrong; he is the 7th highest player with a few other players sitting right there with him at 12 million.

With that being said, going by only the 2012 is severely flawed. As we all know Tanny has the philosophy of backloading contracts. Going by average salary per year he is some where in the top 20-25 (don't feel like looking it up) which overrates him a bit but he is no where near top 2 payed defensive player.

I think Cro is correctly payed, whether you feel as though we should be locking up 20 million dollars a year between two corners shouldn't matter. Gotta look at Cro's contract isolated. I would say he is around a top 15 corner which is what he is being payed. There are far worse corners than him, Brandon Carr is at 3, Chris Gamble is at 8.

Holmes is pretty overpayed. Although one could argue his ability matches his contract but he lacks the mental aspect of the game
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jetskid007


Joined: 09 Jan 2006
Posts: 7696
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I basically agree with the majority responses.

To say Cromartie and Harris are overpaid is a little unfair. I think Cromartie may be "slightly" overpaid, but this article is simply taking the cap hit and assume that's how much he's making. You need to look at the actual contract to figure that out...

Rewind back to 2011 when Cromartie signed his "4 year, $32 million deal". When the contract was agreed upon, Cromartie received a $5 million signing bonus along with a $1 million base salary, totaling $6 million in 2011. This year, Cromartie is receiving a $3.8 million base salary, $200K workout bonus, and $3 million roster bonus, totaling $7 million. Next season is when things get interesting. He's due to make $9.5 million, which may-or-may not be considered "overpaying" depending on how he plays as the season progresses.

Harris is definitely debatable, but I wouldn't say he's the #1 most overpaid NFL player in the NFL. He's technically making $10 million this year, and although Harris is one of the most valuable players on our defense, he shouldn't be the highest paid LB this year and next year. I can probably name 5 ILBs off the top of my head that I'd rank ahead of Harris, maybe more. I think Harris is a very good player, but he shouldn't be the highest paid LB in the NFL for 2012-2013.



As for Holmes, he's definitely overpaid. He's making $8 million this year and $11.25 million next year, meanwhile he's been the laughing stock of NFL "star" receivers since he was awarded a huge deal in 2011. I root for him, but if he doesn't turn things around I hope we get rid of him and just move on.
_________________

New York Sack Exchange Redux
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
green24


Joined: 10 Apr 2010
Posts: 42958
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetskid007 wrote:
As for Holmes, he's definitely overpaid. He's making $8 million this year and $11.25 million next year, meanwhile he's been the laughing stock of NFL "star" receivers since he was awarded a huge deal in 2011. I root for him, but if he doesn't turn things around I hope we get rid of him and just move on.


If Hill and Kerley can establish themselves as starting receivers this year and Holmes does not step up, I have no doubt that Holmes will not be a Jet next season. The only reason that we're putting up with all his garbage is that we would be extremely thin at WR without him.
_________________
ANTHONY RECKER = LIFE
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ekill08x


Joined: 05 Oct 2005
Posts: 8528
Location: Patchogue, New York
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karmaloop wrote:
Harris makes $9M per year on average. That's not drastically overpaid.

Cromartie is arguably the best #2 CB in the league -- and CBs are getting expensive. He's not overpaid.

Your (ekill08x) cynicism is reaching new heights.


Your clearly not understanding the problem with Cromartie making the money he makes.

Our philosophy is completely flawed. Instead of trying to add pass rushers to defend the pass we think that investing in the best cover corners that one team will be able to pass on us. When a QB has all the time in the world, I dont care if theres 4 Darrelle's out there. This defense would be 5 times as dominate if we didnt have a guy like Cromartie opposite Revis and that money was invested in someone that can rush the passer from the OLB spot.

Based on his athleticism and how well he covers (although he can't tackle) 8 mil isn't overly high for a player of Cromarties caliber but when his salary and Revis' new contract (assuming its in the 14-15mil range) make up almost 20% of our salary cap and we still not solving the actual problem on defense...THATS a problem.
_________________

Props to JMG on the sig as usual
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
Colt45fool


Joined: 28 Jul 2008
Posts: 5673
Location: New Haven, CT
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karmaloop wrote:
Cromartie is not overpaid. Harris is slightly, but doesn't deserve to be on the list.

I can agree with Holmes.
Agreed. Cromartie puts up #1 cornerback numbers in our system. He deserves every penny.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Colt45fool


Joined: 28 Jul 2008
Posts: 5673
Location: New Haven, CT
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ekill08x wrote:
Karmaloop wrote:
Harris makes $9M per year on average. That's not drastically overpaid.

Cromartie is arguably the best #2 CB in the league -- and CBs are getting expensive. He's not overpaid.

Your (ekill08x) cynicism is reaching new heights.


Your clearly not understanding the problem with Cromartie making the money he makes.

Our philosophy is completely flawed. Instead of trying to add pass rushers to defend the pass we think that investing in the best cover corners that one team will be able to pass on us. When a QB has all the time in the world, I dont care if theres 4 Darrelle's out there. This defense would be 5 times as dominate if we didnt have a guy like Cromartie opposite Revis and that money was invested in someone that can rush the passer from the OLB spot.

Based on his athleticism and how well he covers (although he can't tackle) 8 mil isn't overly high for a player of Cromarties caliber but when his salary and Revis' new contract (assuming its in the 14-15mil range) make up almost 20% of our salary cap and we still not solving the actual problem on defense...THATS a problem.
You realize we've invested in our DL to improve the pass rush and our corners...we've also fielded the #1 pass defense for the past two years.

So, yeah...I think investing that much money in our corners has worked for our pass defense. Considering pass rushers are expected to rush the passer and improve pass defense....
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group