Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Rank our starting defensive players

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amazingandre

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Rank our starting defensive players Reply with quote

There is a debate going on in the comparisons forum about Aldon Smith and JJ Watt, but recently two of our own debated about who was the most important Texans defender right now, so it made me want to start a thread ranking our starters 1-11....what say you?

Ugh this is EXTREMELY tough for me, because ranking positions in general vs other positions is very tough, PLUS there are some pretty big role players on this team, but here is how I would rank them of importance, with one being the most important player on the defense

JJ Watt
J Joe
Brian Cushing
Connor Barwin
Antonio Smith
Daniel Manning
Brooks Reed
Glover Quin Jr
Kareem Jackson
Shaun Cody
Bradie James

First, if any of the top 4 players go down we're doomed, BUT the depth behind the first 3 make them that much more important. At least we have Mercilus behind Barwin. Next is Smith who is underrated nationally but great for our defense. A hard nosed player with no fears. Manning helped shore up the back end and again our depth behind him almost makes me want to make him higher on the list. Reed is solid, but with Mercilus we would be fine. Quin is a very good role player on this team, not special, but a guy every defense needs. Jackson is an average number 2 with signs of improvement. Cody needs to be replaced ASAP and James needs to find a new home. Both could be replaced by their back ups and we would not notice a change.
bunnyracin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joseph
Cushing
Watt
Smith
Barwin
Manning
Quin
Reed
Cody
Jackson
James

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Cushing- He runs our defense and does it all. Run defense, pass rush, coverage. He is our leader and most important player pretty easilly to me.
2. JJ Watt- Beast
3. Joseph- Really a given after these two
4. Manning- One of our few playmakers. Does it in pass and run.
5. Barwin- Great pass rush and improving run defense. Should be better in coverage than he is
6. Smith- Would be ahead of Barwin if it weren't for bonehead personal fouls that seem to happen every game
7. Quin- Brick hands, but sure tackle and normally in position to knock balls down
8. Brooks Reed- Good pass rush but I need to see more in the other areas
9. Cody- Nothing great but nothing bad. Actually stood up well last year in the run game. We saw how we got gashed in preseason when he was out
10. Jackson- surprise he isn't last. Still scares me on anything over 15 yards and overcompensates leaving the underneath wide open. But has kept improving so still a small glimmer of hope
11. Bradie James- Utter trash in absolutely everything.

#JDI
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Jonathan Joseph- One of the top cornerbacks in the league. (Top 10 to be exact), and we know the impact he makes if he was to miss a game.
2. JJ Watt- Mark it down, after this season he will be considered a top 3 3/4 DE.
3. Brian Cushing- Has made the transition to a 3/4 LB look easy.
4. Connor Barwin- Our best pass rusher on the team
5. Antonio Smith- A few seasons ago you could have made the case for him being higher than 5.
6. Daneal Manning- Best safety on the team who plays well against the pass and run.
7. Glover Quin- Has made the transition from CB to safety. Only knack is that he doesnt have good hands, but he does well in run support.
8. Brooks Reed- Nice pass rusher and could have an even bigger role if we let Barwin go.
9. Kareem Jackson-He made an improvement from his rookie year, but still hasn't become the player we expected when we selected him 20th overall in 2010.
10. Shaun Cody- Not a fan of Cody and especially not a fan of him as a nose tackle.
11. Bradie James- Not impressed with him at all ever since we signed him from Dallas.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joseph
Cushing
Watt
Manning
Smith
Barwin
Reed
Quin
Jackson
Cody
James

Last edited by kenney on Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:02 am; edited 2 times in total
mse326

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenney wrote:
Joseph
Cushing
Watt
Manning
Smith
Barwin
Quin
Jackson
Cody
James

You missed Reed.

#JDI
bunnyracin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mse326 wrote:
11. Bradie James- Utter trash in absolutely everything.

hahaha

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. JJ Watt - Most important and the best defensive player on our team, not even close IMO. The most recent example? Last week. He won the game for us.
2. Johnathan Joseph - If he's hurt? We're screwed. But then that brings me back to Watt and how he impacts the game. Our pass rush will always be elite as long as Watt is on the field and will buy our secondary without Joseph enough time.
3. Brian Cushing
4. Antonio Smith
5. Daniel Manning
6. Connor Barwin
7. Glover Quin
8. Brooks Reed
9. Shaun Cody
10. Kareem Jackson

11. Bradie James
Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

#1 - Joseph - He is our most important player on Defense, and perhaps he is our best. He was brought in to be a lock-Down corner and i think he may be the 2nd or 3rd best in the NFL

#2 - Cushing - Leader of the defense, makes all the calls and is a man child

#3 - Watt - Watt might be the best 3-4 DE in the league by the end of the season, he may end up being the best player on our D, but he is the 3rd most important

#4 - Barwin - Our leading sack guy from last year is clearly a vital piece of our roster

#5 - Manning - He is a big hitter in the secondary who helped turn around a horrible Defense

#6 - Smith - He isn't the best player ever, but he is a vocal leader and enforcer on this team

#7 - Jackson - He is a much improved player since his first year when we didn't have anything on D

#8 - Reed - Reed is going to have to step up this year or he will be replaced our a certain #1 pick

#9 - Quin - Quin moving to safety was one of the best things that happened for his career, as a corner he was a #3 or #4 but he can start safety for a super bowl team

#10 - Cody - Cody may be the worst player on our D, but since James is still new i give cody #10

#11 - James - who knows?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watt
Joseph
Cushing
Smith
Barwin
Quin- super underrated IMO
Reed
Jackson
Manning
Cody
James

LORK88
jargin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kareem Jackson, Bradie James and Shiloh Keo are the real stars on this defense. But let's be honest, the real king is Jesse Nading.

[quote="amazingandre"]Do me a favor and never quote me again[/quote]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: