Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OneBadCat

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: The Problem Reply with quote

So let's dedicate a thread to the Panthers struggles and why we keep losing.
You can't deny that despite our losses that our guys have hung in there, we just blow it at the end.

Every week there is a let up. If coaching improves one game, then execution suffers, vice versa , on and on.

I think the Panthers are a talented team. But I'm beginning to think that, despite coaching woes the Panthers ultimately need to acquire players that will just dominate. Maybe it will take an early 2013 draft pick. But we need talent, not even at a specific position, but a player that is just talented enough to win the match up every time despite scheme and opposing talent.

Have a WR like AJ Green, or a DT like Suh. The offensive line needs help too. I'm not sure we can afford to use the 1st on a LT but it needs to be addressed.
james.mcmurry13

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the field, I'd like some new impact players at:

RT: Move Bell back in to RG, healthy Kalil/progressing Silatolu and still solid Gross makes the line great again with a new RT. If this guy can eventually slide to LT, all the better.

DT: The Edwards wall has played better than expected, but with both of them in their early 30's and neither really a standout player, I think we definitely should look for someone here. If we pick inside the top 5, Star Lotulelei is a very likely pick.

CB: A lot depends on whether or not we keep Munnerlyn. The nickel corner usually doesn't change many decisions, but if we lose him that depletes any depth we had (can't count on Hogan at this point).

FS: This is probably the biggest need, but for now it looks like the value in the draft is from 20-50 for safeties. This makes a ton of sense as a 2nd round pick.

Unfortunately, we can only really address 2 of these spots through the draft this year. I think its important we try out a lot of combinations at these positions (throw in WR too) so that we can get a better idea of what we have and can move forward from there. I think we need to see David Gettis, Joe Adams, even Armanti Edwards get some action at WR, we need guys like Josh Thomas on the field at CB, a good rotation at DT too. If some young corners show promise, then we can hold off, but letting young guys play will help us understand where we need to do better.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good post James, but I don't think we will know who we will take in the top 5 with the new GM. We could be surprised at the podium as he may see our roster differently than us.

The HORNETS are back. Yes We Cam. Giancarlo <3.
Moody

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My top positions:

WR - I like who we have, but Cam needs a young receiver that busts coverages.

FS- it's been too long since we had a playmaker back there. Corner is a need too, but I like Norman and Josh Thomas is surprising me.

DT- I like the Edwards but they aren't a solution. Putting a stud in front of Kuechly could be the best possible move. This would probably be my choice for our first round pick. If there isn't a dominant DT worth a top five pick, I say trade down and take a WR and DT.

OT/OG - clearly an issue but I don't know if we can address it and the other more imperative positions. I'd rather get a good FA to fill in.

Also, I really think this team could look at another TE in the midrounds. I think Cam's game is at it's best out of the two TE formations.
TROJANPANTHER

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do question how much getting an elite DT prospect will truly help this team. I just can't envision a DT having enough of an impact to help this team turn the corner.

It's certainly a need, but I'd rather have another position with what's looking to be a top 5 pick.

Carolina Kitten - Sig God.

NFL - Panthers
College - USC, UNM
boondock

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TROJANPANTHER wrote:
I do question how much getting an elite DT prospect will truly help this team. I just can't envision a DT having enough of an impact to help this team turn the corner.

It's certainly a need, but I'd rather have another position with what's looking to be a top 5 pick.

It will be a piece that this team has needed for a long time, a big question mark. Getting an elite DT will allow our LBs to do other things like help in coverage or make plays in the backfield.

At this point, I think we can win with this team with the right coaching, finding coaching that adjusts the game plan as the game moves on and does not leave points on the field will go a long way. Today, Rivera got out coached in the 2nd half and left points on the field. Adding key players on top of the base that we have now, will allow this team to grow.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for the argument of having an impact DT, Dwan Edwards actually left the game in the middle somewhere. We didn't get pressure the same after he left. He isn't even a top DT.

If you can find a DT that can maintain his weight and avoid injuries, you should have a top defense.
DaveDX

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The renowned philosopher Busta Rhymes once said, "There's not a problem my squad can't fix." As great as his great mind was*, I fear he did not quite foresee this.

Panthers11 was right on both counts, it was a good post from James and we have no idea what the new GM will do. We have no idea what the seemingly more and more probable new regime will do. Right now all we can really do is hold out hope that whatever decision Richardson makes on the new GM is the best possible one.

*Pre-that shark jumping song with Janet Jackson

Turns out it was a dude.
OneBadCat

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moody wrote:
As for the argument of having an impact DT, Dwan Edwards actually left the game in the middle somewhere. We didn't get pressure the same after he left. He isn't even a top DT.

If you can find a DT that can maintain his weight and avoid injuries, you should have a top defense.

I noticed this too. If we can get our hands on an elite DT prospect we will have a solid DT core. Solid vets in Ron and Dwan and a talented guy for the future would be nice.

I don't think we have any problems at CB. Norman is going to be awesome, Gamble will be back, Munnerlyn can ball in the nickel. They will all look better with a pass rush.

Free Safety is a huge need. We haven't had a good player there since Deon Grant, and that was a hell of a long time ago.
Gang-Green!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problems are:

Rivera and the coaches are not dynamic.

Newton is not the answer to the team's QB needs. He seems apart from the team and appears to have lost them. It won't shock me if the Panthers draft a QB in the 1st round of the 2013 draft. In addition to the headcase part of the game, Newton is inaccurate and was throwing off his back foot every pass, even when there is not pressure.

The Panthers leaders aren't hungry. All the guys who were anywhere close to being up for contract, got theirs and mostly got way too much.
Panthers 24/7

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gang-Green! wrote:
The problems are:

Rivera and the coaches are not dynamic.

Newton is not the answer to the team's QB needs. He seems apart from the team and appears to have lost them. It won't shock me if the Panthers draft a QB in the 1st round of the 2013 draft. In addition to the headcase part of the game, Newton is inaccurate and was throwing off his back foot every pass, even when there is not pressure.

The Panthers leaders aren't hungry. All the guys who were anywhere close to being up for contract, got theirs and mostly got way too much.

dude youre a clown...seriously just stop....

just hearing you say that literally means you either:

a. are a cam hater

b. havent watched a panthers game all year...or ever for that matter

c. are just an idiot

im going with all 3... Rolling Eyes

Cam Newton

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: