Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

What is going on with Wes Welker?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What's happening?
Punishment for something that's going on behind the scenes
13%
 13%  [ 3 ]
Trying to keep him fresh for later on the season
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Secret injury that we don't know about
40%
 40%  [ 9 ]
Giving a professional favor, keeping him healthy since he doesn't have a longterm contract
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Belichick wants to see how we'd fare if we let him walk
40%
 40%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 22

Author Message
tonyto3690


Joined: 29 Jan 2010
Posts: 5506
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:16 pm    Post subject: What is going on with Wes Welker? Reply with quote

The past few years we saw the offense run through him, to the point it seemed Brady was just force feeding Welker an unending stream of targets because he didn't like any other receiver.

Through two games the eye test says Welker is for some reason, getting significantly less looks. Before Hernandez went down today, it looked like Welker might not even get a catch. While he did end up with 95 yards and a pretty decent game, it's apparent that this is not a lack of ability to get open anymore. Instead, Lloyd is getting all of Welkers targets and even Edelman started over him. I might be able to buy that Lloyd is trusted more or fits the scheme better but Edelman??

So what gives?
_________________
C0LTSFAN4L1F3 wrote:

Drew Brees IS the most accurate qb ever

Brees that night:
28/50, 341 yards, 0 TD, 5 INT.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mcmurtry86


Joined: 02 Mar 2010
Posts: 23696
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2nd, 4th and 5th options in your poll are absolutely ridiculous given what we know of Belichick so, I'm going to go with injury we don't know about.

He reportedly had a family issue in the pre-season, perhaps his head isn't totally in the game (i.e. having bad practices).

Tough to speculate too much, but at this point there has to be something going on and IMO Reiss's "educated guess" of a concussion makes the most sense.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Canadian_Patriot


Moderator
Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 9016
Location: Halifax
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You didn't include, nothing, as an option. I select that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
patsfan06


Joined: 19 Nov 2010
Posts: 2836
Location: Chestnut Hill
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know but it seemed like every time Brady threw to Welker something good happened.

Seemingly, Every time Brady threw to anyone else before the last drive nothing good happened.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mcmurtry86


Joined: 02 Mar 2010
Posts: 23696
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canadian_Patriot wrote:
You didn't include, nothing, as an option. I select that.


You don't think there's anything going on? Really?

Julian Edelman played more snaps than Wes Welker today. If that's not a sign that something is going on, I don't know what to say.

If "nothing" is going on, Belichick and McDaniels have become totally incompetent overnight for keeping Welker on the bench in favor of Edelman. It makes no sense whatsoever for Welker to be getting less than 90% of the meaningful non-short yardage (i.e. "heavy personnel") snaps.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mcmurtry86


Joined: 02 Mar 2010
Posts: 23696
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patsfan06 wrote:
I don't know but it seemed like every time Brady threw to Welker something good happened.


Like when that fairly easy 3rd down pass went right through his hands? Wink
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Richter


Joined: 11 Feb 2010
Posts: 12114
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where's the option for "Josh McDaniels sucks"?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Canadian_Patriot


Moderator
Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 9016
Location: Halifax
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
Canadian_Patriot wrote:
You didn't include, nothing, as an option. I select that.


You don't think there's anything going on? Really?

Julian Edelman played more snaps than Wes Welker today. If that's not a sign that something is going on, I don't know what to say.

If "nothing" is going on, Belichick and McDaniels have become totally incompetent overnight for keeping Welker on the bench in favor of Edelman. It makes no sense whatsoever for Welker to be getting less than 90% of the meaningful non-short yardage (i.e. "heavy personnel") snaps.


Well, I mean it could be as simple as Welker didn't have a good week of practice. He was quoted post-game as saying the offense had a lot of mental mistakes in practice this week.

I think offensive play calling and the game plan were more to blame for the issues on offense through the first 3 quarters of the game.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mcmurtry86


Joined: 02 Mar 2010
Posts: 23696
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canadian_Patriot wrote:


Well, I mean it could be as simple as Welker didn't have a good week of practice. He was quoted post-game as saying the offense had a lot of mental mistakes in practice this week.


So in other words, SOMETHING is going on. But how does that explain last week? It seems both weeks have had a similar story with Welker's usage (or lack thereof)
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mcmurtry86


Joined: 02 Mar 2010
Posts: 23696
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richter wrote:
Where's the option for "Josh McDaniels sucks"?


But 2007! Randy Moss! Boy Genius!

I was happy to see McDaniels leave and now I remember why.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Richter


Joined: 11 Feb 2010
Posts: 12114
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
Richter wrote:
Where's the option for "Josh McDaniels sucks"?


But 2007! Randy Moss! Boy Genius!

I was happy to see McDaniels leave and now I remember why.

I can't believe he actually made me miss Bill O'Brien today.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
patsfan06


Joined: 19 Nov 2010
Posts: 2836
Location: Chestnut Hill
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
patsfan06 wrote:
I don't know but it seemed like every time Brady threw to Welker something good happened.


Like when that fairly easy 3rd down pass went right through his hands? Wink


I was at the game in the upper deck, so I didn't have the ability to recognized who was who on every single play.

That is why I said seems. Welker was or best offensive player today from my POV.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mcmurtry86


Joined: 02 Mar 2010
Posts: 23696
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richter wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
Richter wrote:
Where's the option for "Josh McDaniels sucks"?


But 2007! Randy Moss! Boy Genius!

I was happy to see McDaniels leave and now I remember why.

I can't believe he actually made me miss Bill O'Brien today.


I'm sure there will be plenty of other opportunities to miss O'Brien as the year progresses.

O'Brien, after the Moss trade, was a very good OC. He had his faults and his bad moments/games, but I'd definitely take him over McDaniels.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mcmurtry86


Joined: 02 Mar 2010
Posts: 23696
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patsfan06 wrote:
\

That is why I said seems. Welker was or best offensive player today from my POV.


In no way was he better than Gronkowski.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tzimisce


Most Valuable Poster
Joined: 13 Oct 2005
Posts: 46569
Location: Tuntmore Tower
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
Richter wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
Richter wrote:
Where's the option for "Josh McDaniels sucks"?


But 2007! Randy Moss! Boy Genius!

I was happy to see McDaniels leave and now I remember why.

I can't believe he actually made me miss Bill O'Brien today.


I'm sure there will be plenty of other opportunities to miss O'Brien as the year progresses.

O'Brien, after the Moss trade, was a very good OC. He had his faults and his bad moments/games, but I'd definitely take him over McDaniels.
Think he'd leave his PSU job to come back, given how everything there has gone to hell? I would if I were him.
_________________

BlaqOptic wrote:
I dont care that that little girl was adorable... I'll punch her in the face!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group