Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Brandon Spikes
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tzimisce

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:04 pm    Post subject: Brandon Spikes Reply with quote

Does anyone else here think he's become one of the better MLBs in the league since about the middle of last year? He's really developed a nose for the football, and a propensity for blowing up plays when he's allowed to attack the LOS. He's not a sideline-to-sideline guy like Mayo is, or like Urlacher, Lewis and Beason were at their peak, but I think he compares favorably to most of the starting interior backers in the NFL.

I adopted some kid named Malcolm Butler
If anyone sees him, let me know.
NextBigThing

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instincts; he graded out as a top 3 LB against the run last year and has been just as good this season. He is clutch.
A sunny disposition is worth more than fortune. Young people should know that it can be cultivated; that the mind like the body can be moved from the shade into sunshine. Thine own reproach alone do fear
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Patriots win a Super Bowl while Spikes is in town, he will be a very big part of it. The guy has quietly (insofar as national media attention) become a really impressive player and he's one of the few guys I'd say is capable of delivering the type of timely plays that the great 2001-2004 defenders did.

He was excellent down the stretch and in the playoffs and IMO is even better this year. There are very few inside linebackers I'd take over him - especially if you consider his age.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without being accused of ridiculous overreaction, how long before Mayo is the third best LB on the Pats?
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciz wrote:
Without being accused of ridiculous overreaction, how long before Mayo is the third best LB on the Pats?

He'll never be the 3rd best by any measure except perhaps splash plays.

As good as Spikes is, Mayo is equally talented but more versatile and (as of now) a bit more reliable.

Spikes is becoming extremely good at what he does, but what he does is becoming a bit outdated in the NFL. Mayo and Hightower should - either this year or down the road - end up logging a lot more snaps than Spikes

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
Sciz wrote:

As good as Spikes is, Mayo is equally talented but more versatile and (as of now) a bit more reliable.

Spikes is becoming extremely good at what he does, but what he does is becoming a bit outdated in the NFL. Mayo and Hightower should - either this year or down the road - end up logging a lot more snaps than Spikes

I wouldnt say a lot. Spikes' snap count is widely and vastly underrated. Last year, if you take out the game he was forced to leave and the game he didnt play much in to end the season due to his return from injury and the meaningless nature of the game, he played 483 snaps out of 636 which is 75.9% of his snaps and a whopping 86.8% in the SB.

So far this season out of 129 snaps he played 84 to Mayo's versatile 128 and Hightowers 79

Sigs
Patriots Red Sox Celtics
finn54

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Spikes. He's absolutely nuts, but he shows up in big games and has a pretty unique skill set. The pats are gonna need him versus the likes of the Ravens (with Ray Rice) and the Texans (with Arian Foster).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#PoWwWwWwWwW

Iggles wrote:
This guy gets it. Seriously, the ideas being espoused here need to get to 88 mph so they can go back to the 1950's.

I'm a cold-blooded dickens.
treat88

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great young player.

Love the ferocity with which he plays the game.

Hope the kid stays healthy and makes multiple All-Pro selections. The tools are certainly there.

"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself."
FakingInjuries

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FF in last minute of the game.

INT in Ravens playoff game last year.

INT in big game against the Jets 2 years ago.

Spikes is very clutch. Love the ENERGY he brings to the defense too. Good at blitzing. He is a big part of the defense.

and if the Pats won yesterday, you can bet Spikes wouldve gotten a lot of national media attention for forcing that fumble.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deadpulse wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
Sciz wrote:

I wouldnt say a lot. Spikes' snap count is widely and vastly underrated. Last year, if you take out the game he was forced to leave and the game he didnt play much in to end the season due to his return from injury and the meaningless nature of the game, he played 483 snaps out of 636 which is 75.9% of his snaps and a whopping 86.8% in the SB.

So far this season out of 129 snaps he played 84 to Mayo's versatile 128 and Hightowers 79

Yes, last year he stayed on in a lot of sub packages. I don't see that continuing as Hightower develops unless Hightower starts getting a good number of snaps at DE.

As for his snaps this year, he's played 84 snaps. The Pats have played 72 sub snaps and 57 base and short yardage snaps. Assuming Spikes has played 100% (or 95%+) of the non-sub snaps, he has played 27 of 72 sub snaps. That seems about right to me, though I expect it to drop to about 1/3 or just under. Right now the Pats' sub packages have been almost all 2 LB sets. As they start playing teams that spread the field more, you'll see more 1 LB sets and Spikes' share of sub snaps will drop.

By the end of the year, I'd expect Mayo to be at 85-90%, Hightower at ~65% and Spikes at ~55% - assuming Hightower develops the way we all hope and everyone stays healthy.

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
Deadpulse wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
Sciz wrote:

Yes, last year he stayed on in a lot of sub packages. I don't see that continuing as Hightower develops unless Hightower starts getting a good number of snaps at DE.

As for his snaps this year, he's played 84 snaps. The Pats have played 72 sub snaps and 57 base and short yardage snaps. Assuming Spikes has played 100% (or 95%+) of the non-sub snaps, he has played 27 of 72 sub snaps. That seems about right to me, though I expect it to drop to about 1/3 or just under. Right now the Pats' sub packages have been almost all 2 LB sets. As they start playing teams that spread the field more, you'll see more 1 LB sets and Spikes' share of sub snaps will drop.

By the end of the year, I'd expect Mayo to be at 85-90%, Hightower at ~65% and Spikes at ~55% - assuming Hightower develops the way we all hope and everyone stays healthy.
So which of the three starting LBs would you favor taking off the field in a 4-2-5 package? Or would Hightower simply move to a 3-point stance in that situation?

I adopted some kid named Malcolm Butler
If anyone sees him, let me know.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tzimisce wrote:
So which of the three starting LBs would you favor taking off the field in a 4-2-5 package? Or would Hightower simply move to a 3-point stance in that situation?

I thought it was obvious that Spikes is the guy I would take off the field and expect to be taken off in a 4-2-5 alignment most of the time.

Hightower is IMO a better sub package LB and will only get better in that role.

I wouldn't say Spikes is a classic "2 down" LB, but to maximize his strengths and minimize his weaknesses, I'd take him out of most obvious passing situations. That's not to say all 4-2-5 (And similar) formation snaps are in obvious pass situations, which is why Spikes has gotten and will continue to get about 30-40% of sub snaps but I wouldn't expect more than that.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mayo or Spikes on nickel downs?
rabbisson

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PFF said Spikes had seven stops last game.

Seems like many of them came toward the end of the game (at least for me) but it's still nice to see.

This young defense could be so good in a couple of years. Really will help ease the Patriots out of the Brady era: just as many of the O weapons and the defense reach the midpoint of their careers, a new QB should be ready to take the reins. We just need some young WRs to truly seal it: I think we hit the position moderately hard next year, especially with a fairly deep class.

Iggles wrote:
This guy gets it. Seriously, the ideas being espoused here need to get to 88 mph so they can go back to the 1950's.

I'm a cold-blooded dickens.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: