Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ngata vs Smith vs Watt
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Comparisons
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who's the best?
Ngata
49%
 49%  [ 43 ]
Smith
39%
 39%  [ 34 ]
Watt
11%
 11%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 87

Author Message
RavensDefense3


Joined: 21 Apr 2011
Posts: 989
Location: Baltimore
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Ngata vs Smith vs Watt Reply with quote

Self-Explanatory. How would you rank them from 1 to 3?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Titans_31


Joined: 27 Apr 2012
Posts: 246
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same wayvu have them listed in the poll
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Falastine


Joined: 02 Sep 2008
Posts: 3601
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1- Smith
2- Ngata
3- Watt
_________________
IN THE BAY AREA WE SMOKE PHILLIES
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
reckless123


Joined: 02 Jun 2011
Posts: 11925
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ngata. Dominant at DT and as a 3-4 DE.
_________________


"I'm not in the danger, I AM the DANGER" - Heisenberg
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RavensTillIDie


Moderator
Joined: 14 Jan 2007
Posts: 13071
Location: N.W.O
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is Smith beating Ngata in this poll?

Please fellow posters, do explain. Don't be shrouded by the cloak of anonymity. Razz
_________________

Matts4313 wrote:
Speaking of attacking kids
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Poster4613


Joined: 27 Jul 2012
Posts: 259
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ngata #1 due to consistency
Smith #2 (REAL CLOSE)
Watt #3...amazing player but doesn't deserve to be here yet.

RavensTillIDie wrote:
How is Smith beating Ngata in this poll?

Please fellow posters, do explain. Don't be shrouded by the cloak of anonymity. Razz

Why would you need to defend this? In my opinion, Smith was better last year and him winning is by no means an upset.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RavensTillIDie


Moderator
Joined: 14 Jan 2007
Posts: 13071
Location: N.W.O
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poster4613 wrote:
In my opinion, Smith was better last year and him winning is by no means an upset.


For a portion of last year, following Ngata's injury, sure Smith was the better player.

Does that make him better than Ngata overall? Not in my opinion. And I don't mean to criticize Smith to the extent that I think he is a completely lesser player, but I do think that it's funny how Smith was this guy who was severely underrated for the past few years, then suddenly made this leap to the best DL in the NFL.
_________________

Matts4313 wrote:
Speaking of attacking kids
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
EliteTexan80


Most Valuable Poster
Joined: 30 Apr 2007
Posts: 38129
Location: Three time Mr. fanTASTic!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poster4613 wrote:
Ngata #1 due to consistency
Smith #2 (REAL CLOSE)
Watt #3...amazing player but doesn't deserve to be here yet.


I'm the biggest JJ Watt homer on the planet and I agree with this. Watt has been outstanding thus far in his career, and he's on the fast track to take on the #2 or #1 spot, but he's not quite there yet. If he can keep at the level he's been at for the first two games of the season, I can see him taking one of the top two spots (if not the #1 spot).

Still too early to tell, but guy is a monster.
_________________

iPwn, Kempes and Flaccomania: The official sig makers for THE ET80!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
TheVillain112


Moderator
Joined: 19 Feb 2010
Posts: 16555
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RavensTillIDie wrote:
How is Smith beating Ngata in this poll?

Please fellow posters, do explain. Don't be shrouded by the cloak of anonymity. Razz


I'm abstaining from this poll but why not? Smith is a machine that doesn't come off the field and never gets hurt. When you factor everything in, Smith has a legit case for the #1 spot...
_________________
skywindO2 wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:
Should see some Orlovsky vs Manziel this week in the battle of "who's less aware of their surroundings"

Orlovsky has too much experience here. Manziel doesn't stand a chance.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RavensTillIDie


Moderator
Joined: 14 Jan 2007
Posts: 13071
Location: N.W.O
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
I'm the biggest JJ Watt homer on the planet and I agree with this. Watt has been outstanding thus far in his career, and he's on the fast track to take on the #2 or #1 spot, but he's not quite there yet. If he can keep at the level he's been at for the first two games of the season, I can see him taking one of the top two spots (if not the #1 spot).

Still too early to tell, but guy is a monster.


Just curious, something I know they do with Ngata and I believe they do on occasion with Smith is rotate them along the defensive line, occasionally having them switch between NT/DT and DE. Is Watt used in much the same way or does he play exclusively at DE?
_________________

Matts4313 wrote:
Speaking of attacking kids
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mse326


Moderator
Joined: 19 Jan 2008
Posts: 16139
Location: mike23md on the sig
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
Poster4613 wrote:
Ngata #1 due to consistency
Smith #2 (REAL CLOSE)
Watt #3...amazing player but doesn't deserve to be here yet.


I'm the biggest JJ Watt homer on the planet and I agree with this. Watt has been outstanding thus far in his career, and he's on the fast track to take on the #2 or #1 spot, but he's not quite there yet. If he can keep at the level he's been at for the first two games of the season, I can see him taking one of the top two spots (if not the #1 spot).

Still too early to tell, but guy is a monster.


I don't know that I'd say he isn't there yet. I would say he doesn't have the track record to support it yet. I can't think of an area of the game where I say he needs to get better to be in a discussion over these two. But he certainly hasn't done it long enough to really argue it.
_________________

#JDI
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
chamilitary


Joined: 12 Feb 2008
Posts: 3110
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justin smith doesn't get injured ever. he goes 110% all game long. doesn't matter if we're getting blown out. also, who else can say they made the all pro team TWICE in one season?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RavensTillIDie


Moderator
Joined: 14 Jan 2007
Posts: 13071
Location: N.W.O
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheVillain112 wrote:
Smith is a machine that doesn't come off the field and never gets hurt. When you factor everything in, Smith has a legit case for the #1 spot...


Don't get what that has to do with anything. While Ngata was playing injured for a portion of last season, it's not like he missed any time and was only under-performing by his own standards, i.e. the best in the league.

For his career, I believe he has only missed 2 games in 6 years?

When you say "factor everything in", what is one supposed to factor that makes Smith superior?
_________________

Matts4313 wrote:
Speaking of attacking kids
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mse326


Moderator
Joined: 19 Jan 2008
Posts: 16139
Location: mike23md on the sig
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RavensTillIDie wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
I'm the biggest JJ Watt homer on the planet and I agree with this. Watt has been outstanding thus far in his career, and he's on the fast track to take on the #2 or #1 spot, but he's not quite there yet. If he can keep at the level he's been at for the first two games of the season, I can see him taking one of the top two spots (if not the #1 spot).

Still too early to tell, but guy is a monster.


Just curious, something I know they do with Ngata and I believe they do on occasion with Smith is rotate them along the defensive line, occasionally having them switch between NT/DT and DE. Is Watt used in much the same way or does he play exclusively at DE?


Sort of.

We play a bit of a hybrid. IIRC someone charted the first game and it was fairly even between playing LDE and RDE (played left a little more), but when we were in a 4-3 set he was pretty much exclusively the LDT and that number was fairly close to the DE spots as well. I don't believe he's ever played NT in the 3 man front.

I'd say it's about a 66% chance he'll be a DE instead of a DT and a 66% chance he'll be on the left as a DE or DT rather than the right.
_________________

#JDI
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TheVillain112


Moderator
Joined: 19 Feb 2010
Posts: 16555
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RavensTillIDie wrote:
TheVillain112 wrote:
Smith is a machine that doesn't come off the field and never gets hurt. When you factor everything in, Smith has a legit case for the #1 spot...


Don't get what that has to do with anything. While Ngata was playing injured for a portion of last season, it's not like he missed any time and was only under-performing by his own standards, i.e. the best in the league.

For his career, I believe he has only missed 2 games in 6 years?

When you say "factor everything in", what is one supposed to factor that makes Smith superior?


So last season:

Quote:
1. Jared Allen, Minnesota, 1004 of 1065 (94.27 percent)
2. Jeremy Mincey, Jacksonville, 949 of 1015 (93.5 percent)
3. Justin Smith, San Francisco, 924 of 1014 (91.12 percent)
24. Haloti Ngata, Baltimore, 805 of 1042 (77.26 percent)

http://www.comcastsportsnet.com/landing?blockID=722220&tagID=476


You don't think he should get credit for playing over 90% of the teams defensive snaps? Plus he was playing at a very high level for them, not just on the field...
_________________
skywindO2 wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:
Should see some Orlovsky vs Manziel this week in the battle of "who's less aware of their surroundings"

Orlovsky has too much experience here. Manziel doesn't stand a chance.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Comparisons All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group