Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Dean Pees = Greg Mattison?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Integrity

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BaltimoreTerp wrote:
The question isn't Jimmy Smith vs. Cary Williams. As it's already been said, both saw were pretty much on the field at the same time because New England operated with a base 3 wideout set. And in the 2nd half if my eyes weren't playing tricks on me I think Pees even did move Smith on to Lloyd on some plays, and Brady just went and looked for Cary anyways, now covering Branch.

The question would be Cary vs. Corey Graham. I don't know anything about Corey Graham as a corner so it's hard to say whether he would be an upgrade. But I hope the coaching staff is at least asking that question and trying to determine whether we might be better off with Webb/Smith/Graham out there.

I doubt we'll see a change against the Browns, but if Cary has another game like he did on Sunday the coaching staff would be crazy not to make a switch.

I miss Danny Gorrer.

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished watching 1 Winning Drive from this week... a couple of things that were interesting to me in terms of discussing our defensive scheme and overall play.

Arrow At one point Cary Williams is on the sideline with Jimmy Smith and Teryl Austin and they're talking about the fact that he's getting toasted on those intermediate out routes. He complains to the 2 of them that Lloyd is getting away with OPI on pretty much every pass route (not sure if I would go that far, but it was fairly evident that Lloyd was guilty of a lot of OPI that didn't get called, but obviously only Torrey Smith is capable of being guilty of that Rolling Eyes), and Jimmy got in Cary's face and tells him to just grab him back, because he felt like on Pats O/Ravens D the refs flat out weren't calling it either way, so might as well get yours as well. Coach Austin concurred. To me this gets back to another truism about these replacement refs, that teams have to figure out exactly how to play and what they can get away with with the RR's, and that is VERY much a part of the game now, so we might as well get used to it.

Arrow The other thing was that from Harbaugh's presser and also from some of the sideline comments, it was evident that the gameplan for this game was to keep it vanilla and keep your man in front of you for much of it. I'll quote Ray Lewis, talking to the other defenders on the sideline in the 1st half: "We don't have to get exotic when we start out. So all of that blitzing? We don't have to blitz right now. Sit there and watch them and make them methodically go down the field to beat us... because we're sitting there trying to get too many interchangeable blitzes, by the time we get a man broke in, the ref's not standing over the ball," and at that point he's sort of talking too fast for me to necessarily quote verbatim, but the gist of it was that Ray and the defense were talking about how the refs weren't giving our defenders enough time to sub different players in, which made it particularly difficult to blitz freely because our different blitz packages are premised in part on different packages and a bigger rotation on the defensive line. The emphasis in the coaching on the sideline had mostly to do with sticking with your assignment, avoiding miscommunications and keeping the ball and the guy in front of you. It's in many ways similar to the way I think we've played the Pats in the past. The fact that we were struggling to make our substitutions is ABSOLUTELY something Pees is going to have to work to improve, or else come up with different sorts of blitz contingencies when we do get certain guys stuck on the field.

Arrow Towards the end of the game, Pees let loose and started attacking New England when we couldn't afford to worry about giving up the big play and instead had to risk that in order to rattle Brady and get the ball back to our offense to try to win the game. In the 4th quarter, Jimmy Smith was sitting on the sideline and he tells Teryl Austin, "Coach, I'm comfortable pressing," to which Austin says, "Go ahead. At this time in the game, go ahead. That's what I told Cary. We were back before, but at this time, we gotta get up and play tight because they're going to get the ball out fast." Ngata said some things in the presser as well about showing some different blitzes at the end of the game that Brady wasn't familiar with that got him confused, and the press coverage made things difficult as well to get the completions.

I wonder if Pees didn't go into this game expecting it to be a bit of a shootout and thus planning on keeping some of his more exotic blitzes for the end of the game, so that he could get after Brady when we really needed to and confuse him rather than showing him our best cards too early and thus not really having the weapons to make the big 4th quarter stops that would be necessary to get the ball back in our offense's hands. It's a risky maneuver it that was his plan, but it makes a bit of sense as well. As far as the press coverage is concerned, I think that's something with the guys we've got we can afford to be doing more of throughout the game, though.

All in all, this sort of 'bend but don't break' approach is to me a reasonably acceptable philosophy playing against a top flight offense like New England (and is in line with the way Pagano played them last year too), but we can't afford to play that cautious against all of our opponents. Flat out, our corners are good enough to play press coverage against most teams for the entire game or at least big parts of it, and not every quarterback is Tom Brady and will be able to decipher a blitz scheme if he sees it once before.

Playing Weeden at home on Thursday makes me suspect we're going to throw a lot more looks out at him and try to get him confused. We're going to play a lot of good offenses this year, and I think at some point Pees is going to have trust his defense a little more than he does now and tighten up the coverage scheme in particular. Like I said, I think he followed a blueprint that we've always used against Brady and New England, but they are a very unique and different animal. We need a little more chaos out there against the rest of the NFL.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BaltimoreTerp wrote:
Just finished watching 1 Winning Drive from this week... a couple of things that were interesting to me in terms of discussing our defensive scheme and overall play.

Arrow At one point Cary Williams is on the sideline with Jimmy Smith and Teryl Austin and they're talking about the fact that he's getting toasted on those intermediate out routes. He complains to the 2 of them that Lloyd is getting away with OPI on pretty much every pass route (not sure if I would go that far, but it was fairly evident that Lloyd was guilty of a lot of OPI that didn't get called, but obviously only Torrey Smith is capable of being guilty of that Rolling Eyes), and Jimmy got in Cary's face and tells him to just grab him back, because he felt like on Pats O/Ravens D the refs flat out weren't calling it either way, so might as well get yours as well. Coach Austin concurred. To me this gets back to another truism about these replacement refs, that teams have to figure out exactly how to play and what they can get away with with the RR's, and that is VERY much a part of the game now, so we might as well get used to it.

Arrow The other thing was that from Harbaugh's presser and also from some of the sideline comments, it was evident that the gameplan for this game was to keep it vanilla and keep your man in front of you for much of it. I'll quote Ray Lewis, talking to the other defenders on the sideline in the 1st half: "We don't have to get exotic when we start out. So all of that blitzing? We don't have to blitz right now. Sit there and watch them and make them methodically go down the field to beat us... because we're sitting there trying to get too many interchangeable blitzes, by the time we get a man broke in, the ref's not standing over the ball," and at that point he's sort of talking too fast for me to necessarily quote verbatim, but the gist of it was that Ray and the defense were talking about how the refs weren't giving our defenders enough time to sub different players in, which made it particularly difficult to blitz freely because our different blitz packages are premised in part on different packages and a bigger rotation on the defensive line. The emphasis in the coaching on the sideline had mostly to do with sticking with your assignment, avoiding miscommunications and keeping the ball and the guy in front of you. It's in many ways similar to the way I think we've played the Pats in the past. The fact that we were struggling to make our substitutions is ABSOLUTELY something Pees is going to have to work to improve, or else come up with different sorts of blitz contingencies when we do get certain guys stuck on the field.

Arrow Towards the end of the game, Pees let loose and started attacking New England when we couldn't afford to worry about giving up the big play and instead had to risk that in order to rattle Brady and get the ball back to our offense to try to win the game. In the 4th quarter, Jimmy Smith was sitting on the sideline and he tells Teryl Austin, "Coach, I'm comfortable pressing," to which Austin says, "Go ahead. At this time in the game, go ahead. That's what I told Cary. We were back before, but at this time, we gotta get up and play tight because they're going to get the ball out fast." Ngata said some things in the presser as well about showing some different blitzes at the end of the game that Brady wasn't familiar with that got him confused, and the press coverage made things difficult as well to get the completions.

I wonder if Pees didn't go into this game expecting it to be a bit of a shootout and thus planning on keeping some of his more exotic blitzes for the end of the game, so that he could get after Brady when we really needed to and confuse him rather than showing him our best cards too early and thus not really having the weapons to make the big 4th quarter stops that would be necessary to get the ball back in our offense's hands. It's a risky maneuver it that was his plan, but it makes a bit of sense as well. As far as the press coverage is concerned, I think that's something with the guys we've got we can afford to be doing more of throughout the game, though.

All in all, this sort of 'bend but don't break' approach is to me a reasonably acceptable philosophy playing against a top flight offense like New England (and is in line with the way Pagano played them last year too), but we can't afford to play that cautious against all of our opponents. Flat out, our corners are good enough to play press coverage against most teams for the entire game or at least big parts of it, and not every quarterback is Tom Brady and will be able to decipher a blitz scheme if he sees it once before.

Playing Weeden at home on Thursday makes me suspect we're going to throw a lot more looks out at him and try to get him confused. We're going to play a lot of good offenses this year, and I think at some point Pees is going to have trust his defense a little more than he does now and tighten up the coverage scheme in particular. Like I said, I think he followed a blueprint that we've always used against Brady and New England, but they are a very unique and different animal. We need a little more chaos out there against the rest of the NFL.

This is the jist of what I was talking about in the last offensive series against the pats. We played press man, blitzed, and got Brady off his spot. The last series reminded me of last years steelers/pats game. They played press man the whole game and Brady couldn't do anything. Our corners are at their best in press man to man. The sooner Pees figures that out the better.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: