Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Howie Roseman
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:16 pm    Post subject: Howie Roseman Reply with quote

Eagles fans, what is your impression of Howie Roseman as a GM? It seems like the Eagles are consistently in a very good situation when it comes to the salary cap and acquiring talent. How much credit does Roseman deserve since joining the Eagles in 2000 and being promoted to GM in 2010?

Do you see any scenario where Roseman is interested in a GM job that might give him a little more control over coach/player personnel decisions?

Thanks to ryknowssd for the sig!

Trent Baalke for 2013 NFL executive of the year.
Blahman88

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Howie Roseman Reply with quote

nicfre2011 wrote:
Eagles fans, what is your impression of Howie Roseman as a GM? It seems like the Eagles are consistently in a very good situation when it comes to the salary cap and acquiring talent. How much credit does Roseman deserve since joining the Eagles in 2000 and being promoted to GM in 2010?

Do you see any scenario where Roseman is interested in a GM job that might give him a little more control over coach/player personnel decisions?

Just look at his last name.......

he loves money....

oland11

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Howie Roseman Reply with quote

nicfre2011 wrote:

Howie is a god among men. A magician among another(The Bos). He is a mastermind and money managing. He seems quite happy here I don't think he'd want to leave here any time soon.
RainbowCarebear

Location: "Are you hungry, child?" Yes, she thought, but not for food.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he's good with numbers and able to sign guys below market value, but we should also credit Andy with that. Players want to be come here.

2010 draft: So so draft. Allen have been up and down, but I think he's on the uprise. I don't think Graham will ever be a dominate DE, but hopefully he can still be a good DE. Chaney and Coleman have started which is good for 7th round picks.

2011: Watkins is old, and haven't been playing like excepted. Jarrett got cut, rest of the draft have been so so. Marsh could be a starting CB down the stretch.

2012: Looks like he killed it, Cox could be a special player at UT. Kendricks is a little short, but otherwise a perfect LB'er that can do everything. Curry don't play, because we're extremely deep at DE. Foles looked good in preseason. Boykin was good in Preseason, and continued that in the season. They took a chance on a super talented guy in Bryce Brown, who fumbled yesterday, but the coaches are high on him. And they brought in some talented UDFA this year.

I like Howie. Hopefully he can continue what looks like a great draft in '12. He stayed put a lot more this year in the draft than previous years, and just went BPA and it seems to pay off.

"Do you imagine Whoresbane loves you any better? If you did not hold the ..., he would pull out your entrails and make you eat them"
"In return, we swore that we should always be their men"
McNabbMcFadden

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't honestly get a read on him, sometimes it's good, sometimes it's bad.
Eagles_808

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as managing the salary cap goes, there seems to be no better GM in the league. As for proof, we currently have $22.6 Million in cap space with this talent rich roster.

As for personnel decisions, Roseman is a major part of the process, but the final say does lean on Andy Reid's shoulders. I honestly think Howie is ok with his current position and level of power it entitles him, seeing as how young he is (37 years old) in comparison to other GMs around the NFL.

Last edited by Eagles_808 on Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
oland11

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RainbowCarebear wrote:
And they brought in some talented UDFA this year.

What UDFA even made the squad besides Damaris and Polk? Exactly. I was high on Polk, Damaris, Cliff Harris and Phillip Thomas who all imo could of made the roster over players at their postions(David Sims and Brandon Hughes or Trevard Lindley)
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RainbowCarebear wrote:
I think he's good with numbers and able to sign guys below market value, but we should also credit Andy with that. Players want to be come here.

2010 draft: So so draft. Allen have been up and down, but I think he's on the uprise. I don't think Graham will ever be a dominate DE, but hopefully he can still be a good DE. Chaney and Coleman have started which is good for 7th round picks.

2011: Watkins is old, and haven't been playing like excepted. Jarrett got cut, rest of the draft have been so so. Marsh could be a starting CB down the stretch.

2012: Looks like he killed it, Cox could be a special player at UT. Kendricks is a little short, but otherwise a perfect LB'er that can do everything. Curry don't play, because we're extremely deep at DE. Foles looked good in preseason. Boykin was good in Preseason, and continued that in the season. They took a chance on a super talented guy in Bryce Brown, who fumbled yesterday, but the coaches are high on him. And they brought in some talented UDFA this year.

I like Howie. Hopefully he can continue what looks like a great draft in '12. He stayed put a lot more this year in the draft than previous years, and just went BPA and it seems to pay off.

Good comments. I am trying to get an idea as far as the draft goes how the Roseman/Reid dynamic works out. How much credit or blame can each get for how a draft turns out? IMO that is the tricky thing when trying to evaluate a GM in a situation where the head coach has as much influence as Andy Reid does.

A point in case IMO is Scott Pioli. As my sig suggests, I am not a Pioli fan and I believe Pioli's overall performance as a GM indicates that Bill Belichick obviously had alot more influence on coaching/personnel decisions than Pioli ever did. And because of this Belichick obviously deserves most of the credit. Pioli's track record on his own leads me to believe during his time with New England he was firmly grasping Belichick's coattails.

Thanks to ryknowssd for the sig!

Trent Baalke for 2013 NFL executive of the year.

Last edited by nicfre2011 on Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eagles_808

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicfre2011 wrote:
I am trying to get an idea as far as the draft goes how the Roseman/Reid dynamic works out. How much credit or blame can each get for how a draft turns out? IMO that is the tricky thing when trying to evaluate a GM in a situation where the head coach has as much influence as Andy Reid does.

Andy Reid has all of the final say on every single draft pick. Hits and misses in the draft fall on Reid's shoulders, not Roseman.

Now free agents, that has weight on Roseman's shoulders.

Just wanted to clear that up for everyone.
eaglesfan10

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oland11 wrote:
RainbowCarebear wrote:

What UDFA even made the squad besides Damaris and Polk? Exactly. I was high on Polk, Damaris, Cliff Harris and Phillip Thomas who all imo could of made the roster over players at their postions(David Sims and Brandon Hughes or Trevard Lindley)

Do you really think more than two UDFA's making the team is a good thing?
oland11

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eaglesfan10 wrote:
oland11 wrote:
RainbowCarebear wrote:

Do you really think more than two UDFA's making the team is a good thing?

Yes. When its Phillip Thomas and Cliff Harris who were raw but had a lot of potential and more potential than other players at their positions.
ninjapirate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roseman more or less runs the show while all decisions get made by AR.

He is kind of a secretary of sorts. I wouldn't trust him as a stand alone GM.

Thanks Kilty
RainbowCarebear wrote:
Was the dog eating the child?
oland11

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ninjapirate wrote:

If he was a stand alone GM with a younger less experienced coach i'd be worried. But the fact that our head coach is AR...Yea...
ninjapirate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oland11 wrote:
ninjapirate wrote:

If he was a stand alone GM with a younger less experienced coach i'd be worried. But the fact that our head coach is AR...Yea...

he is a chiefs fan asking about him becoming the chiefs gm.

Thanks Kilty
RainbowCarebear wrote:
Was the dog eating the child?
oland11

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ninjapirate wrote:
oland11 wrote:
ninjapirate wrote:

he is a chiefs fan asking about him becoming the chiefs gm.

LOL. They have a lot of talent on their roster (Tamba Hali, Eric Berry, Etc.) But just because their coach beat the Packers last year(They had a horrible defense) Doesn't really mean he is a good coach. xD

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: