Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Cut Morgan, bring back Cooley
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
turtle28

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slateman wrote:
Morgan has had, at best, a very mundane career. He's, at best, an average talent. He can easily be replaced in the offseason. Heck, we could have just kept Gaffney. Hankerson should be in his spot anyway. Only way Hank will develop now is if you let him play in real games.
Morgan is 4 years younger than Gaffney and is a more explosive player. Hankerson had a bad hip and they were unsure about him.

I agree we could have kept Gaffney and financially that would have made sense and Gaffney is serviceable but Gaffney, like Cooley felt he should start and he wasn't going to start after we signed Garçon, so he was let go.

Quote:
Morgan through a temper tantrum in the final two minutes of the game when the team was driving. It's pretty inexcusable. He's been in the league 4 seasons now. He's seen enough to know that it's always the guy who reacts who gets caught, not the one who initiates.

Cut him. Send a message to the rest of the team. Complete and utter stupidity will not be tolerated.
Gaffney has had similar outbursts in his career and its part of the reason he isnt in DC now. The players are human. I'm sure no one in the world feels worse than Morgan right now! Morgan is a smart guy, a life long redskins fan who grew up blocks from RFK. He knows he made a mistake, he will learn from it and be a better man in the future for it.

I say deactivate him next week like E proposed. hopefully Garçon can play and Briscoe can play also. I still don't want to see Morgan gone, it'd be a total over reaction and bad move to cut a player just because of one mistake.

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Thaiphoon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

e16bball wrote:
My sense is that you may have to deactivate Morgan for the next game as long as you have enough warm bodies to cover it (i.e., as long as Garcon is back).

It's one thing to make a physical error (bad throw, missed tackle, getting beat, etc.). It's another thing to make a mental error (not getting out of bounds, blowing a coverage, even a late hit), but those sort of mistakes do happen --- and it's not like you MEANT to do it. In this case, Joshua Morgan made a mental mistake because he was angry and acted selfishly. It's not like he was trying to do something to help the team and just screwed it up. He couldn't control his emotions and got baited by a notorious instigator in Cortland Finnegan... and as a result, the Redskins' last chance to stay in that game was frittered away in one second of childish anger.

There has to be some consequence for that. I don't see why you would cut a player you think has value for you (and he does), but the rest of the team needs to understand putting yourself before the team isn't tolerated. It's a little unfair because guys make selfish decisions like that often, and Morgan's punishment will probably be stiffer because it was at the end of the game. But my drink tonight is going to be stiffer because his mistake was at the end of the game too, so there's no question it's a little different to lose control in the end-game scenario.

This...

Deactivate him for the next game. Let Briscoe take his snaps.

Being Vague Is Almost As Much Fun As That Other Thing
Slateman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gaffney has produced far more than Morgan has or ever will. Morgan is not "explosive." He couldn't keep a starting job on the Browns. Morgan is fodder, plain and simple. He's not the future. He's filler and not even good filler at that.

None of Gaffney's outbursts were on the field at a crucial time. We don't even need to go outside the team to replace Morgan. Robinson & Fristoe more than deserve his playing time.

Cooley was cut for salary cap reasons, plain and simple. He was willing to play as a back up. He was willing to play fullback. He wanted to stay here. Instead, we're attempting to convert 6'1" slow receiver in to a tight end.
turtle28

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slateman wrote:
Gaffney has produced far more than Morgan has or ever will. Morgan is not "explosive." He couldn't keep a starting job on the Browns. Morgan is fodder, plain and simple. He's not the future. He's filler and not even good filler at that.

None of Gaffney's outbursts were on the field at a crucial time. We don't even need to go outside the team to replace Morgan. Robinson & Fristoe more than deserve his playing time.

Cooley was cut for salary cap reasons, plain and simple. He was willing to play as a back up. He was willing to play fullback. He wanted to stay here. Instead, we're attempting to convert 6'1" slow receiver in to a tight end.
Dude, Morgan played for the 49ers... I think you have the wrong guy. Morgan was a return man for the 49ers for years, he's been known to take short passes for big gains, he's more explosive than Gaffney.

Niles Paul is not slow, he runs a 4.5 40 yard dash. We just had a log jam at wr after signing Garcon and Morgan. We tried out Paul last year at TE, they liked what they saw and he blocked well. Shanahan called him personally and asked him if he would make the transition to TE right after the season and he said he would because he'd do anything for the team. He felt appreciated that Shanahan called him early on about what they were thinking of doing. They are trying to take advantage of his speed as a tight end and he is a good blocker he's always been a good blocker.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Slateman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Browns ... 49ers. It doesn't matter. Both have had meh talent at receiver. Morgan was a part of that.

Paul is slow, okay. If he wasn't, he'd still be a receiver. He's a slow, possession receiver. Except he's shorter than you want in a possession receiver, so they're moving him to TE. Which, so far, he stinks at. But at least Paul was willing to work and didn't throw tantrums

Cut Morgan. Or put him at the bottom and make him fight to get back on the field on anything but special teams.
lavar703

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slateman wrote:

My god, let it go already. Cooley is done. I love the guy but his career is over, it's been over. He can't stay healthy, it's time to move on.
lavar703

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean, while were at it, why don't we cut Aldrick Robinson for dropping a perfect pass?
ripsean21

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slateman wrote:
Browns ... 49ers. It doesn't matter. Both have had meh talent at receiver. Morgan was a part of that.

Paul is slow, okay. If he wasn't, he'd still be a receiver. He's a slow, possession receiver. Except he's shorter than you want in a possession receiver, so they're moving him to TE. Which, so far, he stinks at. But at least Paul was willing to work and didn't throw tantrums

Cut Morgan. Or put him at the bottom and make him fight to get back on the field on anything but special teams.

no disrespect but honestly if you can tell me you werent tripping at the refs at that point and wouldnt have done the same your tripping have no self respect. cause let some1 hit you in the face and just watch it happen to your teamates every play and get cheated over abd over again and getting assulted that you wouldnt have too you dont have a pulse! If some1 countinously hit you and your family/ teamates and kept getting away with it and you can honestly say you wouldnt have reacted is beyond comprehension! foreal im proud of him upset it cost us field position but honestly atleast some1 showed they werent gonna stand for the bs any more! foreal anybody that can say they would let anouther man hit them and family over and over and wouldnt react is on a highly illeagal substance and needs imeadiate help! i know you like every redskins fan is upset but morgan just watched the refs let the rams kill his qb and honestly im shocked it was morgan and not trent and honestly the fact trent didnt upsets me because trent needed to take a penalty and really do something during a few
of the shots that griff took! if you feel morgan should be cut your crazy because if you didnt feel the same way at that point at what you saw going on your not a skins fan! and i can say that because i couldbt even take it because alls i kept thinking about was how are these grown men taking this and not reacting. if your a man with any self respect then you woulda done same! hail redskins sorry every1 for i always try to be very respectful but i couldnt read about morgan being wrong for sticking up for himself when he was pushed way past the point where its understandable! love every1 here but those refs honestly let that go on and needed to get beat down for the blaten disregard for safty! and integrity of a game they should now be perminatly banned from forever!

Thanks Mike23md for the sig!!!
ripsean21

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slatman just to clarify none of thos coments questiong heart are directed to you personally and i want to clarify that up front but that game was heartless on behalf that no1 even attempted to step in and allowed such behavior! that wasnt football! the continous behavior that went on bye the rams and refs was heartless and has no place in this game! morgan is human and he had enough which honestly was beyond too much! people go to prison for some of the activitys on that field today and honestly it cost us a win but morgan isnt the blame! slateman you are a great fan and poster but to want to cut morgan for what he did isnt right because honestly some1 should have done that earlyier in the 4th gtr and it just happened when it did! congrats rams fans but that was classless football on behalf of some on yalls team but to the players that didnt looked great and deserve a win!

Thanks Mike23md for the sig!!!
Slateman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ripsean21 wrote:
Slateman wrote:

no disrespect but honestly if you can tell me you werent tripping at the refs at that point and wouldnt have done the same your tripping have no self respect. cause let some1 hit you in the face and just watch it happen to your teamates every play and get cheated over abd over again and getting assulted that you wouldnt have too you dont have a pulse! If some1 countinously hit you and your family/ teamates and kept getting away with it and you can honestly say you wouldnt have reacted is beyond comprehension! foreal im proud of him upset it cost us field position but honestly atleast some1 showed they werent gonna stand for the bs any more! foreal anybody that can say they would let anouther man hit them and family over and over and wouldnt react is on a highly illeagal substance and needs imeadiate help! i know you like every redskins fan is upset but morgan just watched the refs let the rams kill his qb and honestly im shocked it was morgan and not trent and honestly the fact trent didnt upsets me because trent needed to take a penalty and really do something during a few
of the shots that griff took! if you feel morgan should be cut your crazy because if you didnt feel the same way at that point at what you saw going on your not a skins fan! and i can say that because i couldbt even take it because alls i kept thinking about was how are these grown men taking this and not reacting. if your a man with any self respect then you woulda done same! hail redskins sorry every1 for i always try to be very respectful but i couldnt read about morgan being wrong for sticking up for himself when he was pushed way past the point where its understandable! love every1 here but those refs honestly let that go on and needed to get beat down for the blaten disregard for safty! and integrity of a game they should now be perminatly banned from forever!

Oh I was furious at the refs. All game long. But honestly, the only reason Griffin had a come back opportunity was because of the refs taking away two TDs, so, all in all, we benefited from terrible officiating.

There are three central issues surrounding Morgan:
1. He is not good. He's a journeyman at best. He's quite replaceable.

2. He's supposedly a veteran and that's why he's getting playing time ahead of Fristoe and Robinson. Clearly, he doesn't act like one. His physical and mental mistakes were not turning up field and getting the first down, thus giving us a chance to kill the clock. The tantrum he throws (literally) is far beyond a mental mistake. It's a complete and utter failure. He's 27, there's nothing for him to grow out of. He swallowed Finnegan's bait and completely lost control of himself in a game.

3. His salary is enough to bring back Cooley, who we could actually use. He can still catch. He'd provide a veteran presence and a safety valve for a rookie QB, knowledge of the offense, and he blocks pretty well. Paul can stay the third tight end/receiver/ special teams. I honestly don't believe he'll ever amount to anything and I think Shanahan trying to convert him is just Shanahan trying to prove that his system is better than the players.
footy_29

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First: I get that you're frustrated, but you need to take a few deep breaths.

Second: You need to stop with Cooley coming back - frankly there is zero rationale in it other than his past accomplishments. Cooley has not been signed by anyone and he is a poor blocker and ALWAYS has been. (The only jersey I own is a Cooley jersey, so I'm not biased here)

Third: Niles Paul is a tweener. Like his good friend BB, Shanahan understands that the best potential for individual mismatches is at TE/H-back. Niles Paul was used extensively/exclusively as a run blocker last season, now that he is at TE, he poses a lot of potential match-up problems and confusion as to whether it will be a pass or run.

Fourth: Morgan always flashed talent with the 49ers, and if you had watched the 9ers these last few years you would know that he could not stay healthy. Watching him so far this year, he's the physical possession receiver that they lacked last year. Perhaps he is expendable if Briscoe develops properly, but for now they need him. No questions.

Fifth: If you cut a player when they made a stupid play that cost the team the game (indirectly or directly), Sean Taylor would have been released long ago, as would Santana Moss, as would Darrel Young, as would Perry Riley. Why don't we throw in Aldrick Robinson for dropping a pass that could have won the game? No need for Maurice Hurt, he let RGIII get crushed a couple of times in a pre-season. DeJon Gomes has missed more than a few tackles that ended up in big plays.

Do you understand my point?

Honestly, no one on this board is with you on this one and that should tell you something.

Last edited by footy_29 on Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Woz

Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cutting Morgan has severe cap ramifications. Yes, he made a seriously bone-headed mistake and should be punished for it(*). That said, don't cut off your nose to spite your face.

(*) I suspect he's going to do a lot more punishing of himself for letting his teammates down than a loss of a start or being deactivated will do.
Brian23

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only question that needs to be ask is as such;

What on EARTH makes you think Cooley has anything to offer anymore when he hasn't offered us anything in the last 2 years?
turtle28

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't it more like one year. I guess 2 years removed from 2010 but still it wasn't too long ago. Cooley got injured 1 year ago in 2011.

In 2010 he had 77 catches, 849 yds and 3tds

I just saw where Cooley and his wife are getting divorced!! Ughh talk about a bad month Crying or Very sad

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/reliable-source/post/chris-cooley-and-wife-christy-divorcing-after-four-years/2012/09/12/bad827ca-fd21-11e1-8adc-499661afe377_blog.html

Dashing

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This makes me sick. I just took my nap come online so pissed off its not even funny.

Slate is right man Josh Morgan is a roster spot that is a waste . I dont agree on the Paul or Banks thing I think he is being sarcastic about them but the fact is Josh Morgan was never that good with the 49ers his career best was less than 500 yards and is just a slot or 4th string kind of guy.

He wont be released and sadly as angry as I am at him he is not the reason we lost he just got the team and fans to point fingers on him when our D was the reason we lost this game. You can have T.O all you want but if your defense allows a scoring drive in every possession you will lose . And the Only way you can win is if you have those 3 T.O like we did and score on them every time. We didnt we had one FF TD but fact is our D is not good.

Mike Shanahan is very overrated why hasn't any one brought this up? he got fired in Denver because of the fact he couldn't find the right man to become DC and doesnt let the GM make decisions that are right. He is the Vince Russo of wrestling he doesn't have a Vince Mcmahon to tell him if this idea is good or not.

Why would you hire a DC that shown he is very bad at defenses and transfer our D to the 3-4. These past 3 years been the worst defense ive seen in my life as a skins fan . And Shanny will never motivate your team to win why do you think the Rams won ? Because Jeff Fisher has given them hope to win games ...people say Jeff is overrated but the FO in Tenn didnt allow him to do anything ..just like he didnt want VY and etc but Jeff will motivate your team to death. We are losing because we lack heart and still cant be consistent on defense or offense. Our D was not that good last year either.

I like RG3 tho and its fine that we have him but Mikes gotta go. You guys wont agree with me but its true why do we need 5 years to rebuild when you have teams like the Rams-Saints-Jets-Lions-49ers-and even Arizona become much better teams in less than 2 years? our team has the talent to be like them but we dont have the "RIGHT" coach. Look at Bmore they brought in Harbough or whatever his names spelled and in a year boom playoff with Flacco in his rookie year.

We dont need 5 years we need a real coach. Mikes been shadowed by Elway and Davis in 99,2000 and since than hes done nothing but play in a lowely AFC division and now that hes in the NFCE he is confused. He will be fired by the end of this season if we go 6-10 or 5-11 and not show anything. Danny is friends with him but if I was the owner I would fire Shanny and get a coach that I believe will motivate your team in new ways and get a GM to pick the right players for you . Disgrace we will struggle like we have including the Zorn era in beating teams we should beat because we lack that coach.

Notice with Gibbs we beat the teams we should beat BARLEY and sometimes blow outs and maybe an upset but not like how it is now. EVen Martys team we looked motivated with a team that went 8-8 that year with big upsides. Shannys not the coach I was excited we got him because of his resume and two superbowls but I now see why he got fired and its because of what it is today. We have the talent to be 10-6 every year but we dont have the right man of this job our team and players still have that" LETS DRINK AND PARTY" BS and till we find out who trully wants to be here and is sick of losing we will always lose.

You need 3 things to be a SB contender . Winning spirit. A good FO. And a Franchise QB.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: