Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Get ready for disappointment, Texans consider keeping Schaub
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kanedafx

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:54 pm    Post subject: Get ready for disappointment, Texans consider keeping Schaub Reply with quote

The official Texans Facebook page posted an interview with Marshall Faulk where he defends the idea of keeping Matt Schaub on because he "gives us the best chance to win now".

Why would they post something like this? The only reason to put this out into the social media realm is to gauge just how bad the fan backlash will be if they keep Schaub on. Combine this with previous posts about possible drafting Clowney + the owner's comments, and I think there's a very real possibility that they draft a non-QB early or that they trade up and get a "bargain" QB like Mettenberger to "groom", and then start Schaub in 2014.

But here is where that idea is wrong. Schaub is NOT the best chance to win in 2014. He has NO chance to win. He is proven loser who can't win big games and breaks under pressure. The Texans best chance to win is to draft a dynamic, high-upside prospect like Manziel or Bridgewater and hope that they play lights out in 2014. It's a long shot, I realize, and I think it has a less than 5% chance of getting the Texans to the Superbowl with a rookie QB, but that's better than Schaub who gives them a 0% chance.
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This idea would have "legs" if the Texans didn't have such a financial disincentive to keeping Schaub. Keeping Schaub means a full $14.5 million cap hit in 2014 while retaining the possibility of $7 million more in 2015 if it doesn't work out - again. Cutting him now reduces the 2014 hit to $10.5 million if we take it all at once. Cutting him after June 1 reduces the hit to $3.5 in 2014 and $7 million in 2015 if we choose to split it (my preferred course). I don't care what you think of Schaub, there is no planet in which his value remains at $14.5 million and there are several better options out there even just using the $4 million in savings this year, not to mention the draft. Keeping Schaub around for 2014 would be a sign of disfunction even the Raiders, Jets, Browns, and Jags wouldn't even attempt. It's also one of the reasons I'm glad we have a smart progressive offensive mind like Bill O'Brien vs. someone like Lovie Smith who frittered away a Super Bowl quality team because he never grasped that they weren't winning one without someone better than Grossman, Orton, Griese, Hanie, etc.

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
kanedafx

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apollo Stallion wrote:
This idea would have "legs" if the Texans didn't have such a financial disincentive to keeping Schaub. Keeping Schaub means a full $14.5 million cap hit in 2014 while retaining the possibility of $7 million more in 2015 if it doesn't work out - again. Cutting him now reduces the 2014 hit to $10.5 million if we take it all at once. Cutting him after June 1 reduces the hit to $3.5 in 2014 and $7 million in 2015 if we choose to split it (my preferred course). I don't care what you think of Schaub, there is no planet in which his value remains at $14.5 million and there are several better options out there even just using the $4 million in savings this year, not to mention the draft. Keeping Schaub around for 2014 would be a sign of disfunction even the Raiders, Jets, Browns, and Jags wouldn't even attempt. It's also one of the reasons I'm glad we have a smart progressive offensive mind like Bill O'Brien vs. someone like Lovie Smith who frittered away a Super Bowl quality team because he never grasped that they weren't winning one without someone better than Grossman, Orton, Griese, Hanie, etc.

I agree.

But after they continued to play him after the 3rd pick six, nothing will shock me.
Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we take a QB at #1 the new CBA places a salary max that makes him very affordable and giving that person a year to sit behind Schuab isn't a terrible idea

However get rid of hin
Carrer marks:
992 catches 13,381 yards 63 TDs
mse326

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kanedafx wrote:
Apollo Stallion wrote:

I agree.

But after they continued to play him after the 3rd pick six, nothing will shock me.

So he beats the Titans with 2 big drives at the end, has a poor game against the Ravens, and tears apart the Seattle secondary until one horrible decision and that requires him to be benched? After the 49ers game I could give you, but not after the Seattle game.

#JDI
kanedafx

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mse326 wrote:
kanedafx wrote:
Apollo Stallion wrote:

I agree.

So he beats the Titans with 2 big drives at the end, has a poor game against the Ravens, and tears apart the Seattle secondary until one horrible decision and that requires him to be benched? After the 49ers game I could give you, but not after the Seattle game.

Dude. Three pick sixes in a row. He tied the record with that! This is not like benching Manning or Brady after three pick six games!

And then Kubiak got what he deserved when Matt served up pick six 4.
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kanedafx wrote:
mse326 wrote:
kanedafx wrote:
Apollo Stallion wrote:

I agree.

Dude. Three pick sixes in a row. He tied the record with that! This is not like benching Manning or Brady after three pick six games!

And then Kubiak got what he deserved when Matt served up pick six 4.

Lost in all the Schaub hate and Case as "savior" hype was that both QBs produced similar results:

Schaub: 2-6, 73.0 QBR, 2,310 yards, 61.2% comp, 10tds, 14 ints, 21 sacks, 162 sack yards, 1 lost fumble

Keenum: 0-8, 78.2 QBR, 1,760 yards, 54.2% comp, 9tds, 6 ints, 19 sacks, 201 sack yards, 2 lost fumbles

For all the arguments about "mobility" Keenum took as many sacks and lost far more yards on them due to his tendency to take drive killing deep sacks while scrambling. He rushed for a whopping 48 yards more than Schaub did, so we gained little in that area. Hindsight is 20/20 and I agreed with putting Schaub on the bench and using a lost season to see what we had in Keenum and at a certain point improving our draft position, but I suspect that Schaub would have actually won a few more games for us such as the Jags games. However, let's NOT make the mistake of continuing to put the entire offensive failure on Schaub as Foster was a shell of his former self (largely due to Kubiak's abuse in 2012), the offensive line crumbled into one of the worst in the league, and clearly the scheme and playcalling was amongst the most tired and predictable in the league regardless of which QB was running it. It's worth noting the Schaub played the must tougher schedule of the two with 6 of his 8 games against playoff teams.

Make no mistakes, Schaub can never play in a Texans jersey again, but he still has a skill set that can make him effective if given the right situation with a sturdy o-line and effective run game. The mental side will be a challenge to overcome as QBs need confidence and the confidence of teammates and coaches, but I suspect he will impress some team in camp next season and become a high end backup someplace. I'm still watching where Lil Shanny ends up (likely in a demoted QB coach role) as I suspect Schaub would like to be reunited with the guy that helped produce his finest seasons before the stale Kubiak playcalling returned.

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
texans_uk

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pastor Dillon wrote:
If we take a QB at #1 the new CBA places a salary max that makes him very affordable and giving that person a year to sit behind Schuab isn't a terrible idea

However get rid of hin

Lame duck $14m QB, great.

kenney

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

texans_uk wrote:
Pastor Dillon wrote:

However get rid of hin

Not that I want Schaub to stick around, but I'm not sure that term would apply. The problem with Schaub wouldn't be that he would deliberately suck out of protest, but rather that all evidence seems to point to him having a pretty fragile psyche in the face of roster competition.
PAtexansFAN99

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there's a decent chance we try and trade for Ryan Mallett. Bill O Brien was on staff in New England when they drafted him, and I think he's got just as much if not more arm talent than ANY quarterback in this draft.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenney wrote:
texans_uk wrote:
Pastor Dillon wrote:

However get rid of hin

Not that I want Schaub to stick around, but I'm not sure that term would apply. The problem with Schaub wouldn't be that he would deliberately suck out of protest, but rather that all evidence seems to point to him having a pretty fragile psyche in the face of roster competition.

My lame duck comment wasn't made in the context that I thought he would deliberately suck. I just don't see the value in keeping a 14m QB on the roster for 1 more season just so Teddy can sit. I'd rather cut Schaub and sign a FA QB to be a stop gap if we were going down that route.

kenney

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PAtexansFAN99 wrote:
I think there's a decent chance we try and trade for Ryan Mallett. Bill O Brien was on staff in New England when they drafted him, and I think he's got just as much if not more arm talent than ANY quarterback in this draft.

And less head talent than any of them as well. If people have a problem with Manziel's off the field extracurriculars, I can't imagine they're actually big on coke head Mallet.

And I will take the accuracy of Bridgewater and Manziel over Mallet's relatively useless cannon. People are GROSSLY underselling the QB talent in this draft.
kenney

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, if we are in the business of importing a former Patriots QB, I'm far more open to acquiring Hoyer from the Browns than Mallett from the Pats. Hoyer has actually started, shown some promise, and isn't an insufferable piece of excrement who I can't root for.
PAtexansFAN99

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OurYaWeYlQw

Hoyer is good, but Mallett could win a Superbowl with his arm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4owG2xrQws

^this is Mallett in BoBs NE offense

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PAtexansFAN99 wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OurYaWeYlQw

Hoyer is good, but Mallett could win a Superbowl with his arm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4owG2xrQws

^this is Mallett in BoBs NE offense

I'm glad you bolstered your baseless claim regarding Cokehead with preseason footage.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: