Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Around the league
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 31, 32, 33  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grasspike

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like I'm in an episode of First Take... not very many reasonable positions in here. Romo, like Schaub, is a very good QB who most NFL teams would kill to have. That's pretty much the end of the story. You can nitpick and try to find flaws here and there, but they're pretty equal as players--borderline Pro Bowlers who can win playoff games in the right situation. Thankfully, Schaub's contract is reasonable enough that he can be put in the right situation, whereas contracts for players of roughly the same calibre (like Romo and Flacco) or worse (Sanchez) will greatly hinder their teams' abilities to build around them.

Sig by matthouston91
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Walter signed with the Titans. It's going to be kinda weird seeing him in a Titan uniform.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texansfan713 wrote:
Kevin Walter signed with the Titans. It's going to be kinda weird seeing him in a Titan uniform.

Was just about to post this below (I was looking for the best place - either here or KW cut thread):

Quote:
Titans signed WR Kevin Walter, formerly of the Texans.
Walter, who turns 32 before the season, caught 41 balls for 518 yards (12.6 YPR) and two touchdowns last year across 16 games (14 starts). A reliable possession receiver and plus blocker, Walter lacks big-play ability and has never been much of a touchdown scorer. He'll add depth in Nashville with Nate Washington on his way out. Walter should not be a candidate to start.
per rotoworld

It will be different. I would tell our linebackers and safeties to keep their head on a swivel on run plays b/c KW may be coming in for a blindside block Anxious
jch1911

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DHB to Colts

Quote:
Colts agreed to terms with WR Darrius Heyward-Bey, formerly of the Raiders, on a one-year contract.
Heyward-Bey, 26, caught 41 passes for 606 yards and five touchdowns with Oakland last season. The former No. 7 overall pick will slide into the receiver spot vacated by Donnie Avery. Although Avery started 15 games for the Colts last season, we'd expect DHB to work in as a deep threat behind Reggie Wayne and second-year burner T.Y. Hilton. Heyward-Bey has averaged 14.8 YPC in his four seasons, compared to Avery's 12.8 career YPC. USA Today's Mike Garafolo reports the deal is worth up to $3 million and contains $1.5 million guaranteed.
per rotoworld
Ah well... had hoped he would go to Lions (or us for less). Ed Reed's going to earn that paycheck against Colts having to stop long pass plays to TY & DHB
AntiSuperstar

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

texans_uk wrote:
Roy Williams and Laurent Williams are you serious?
Felix Jones is not an NFL quality back.
Romo has outperformed Schaub in every statistical category there is, and at BEST they have similar supporting casts.

I don't know why you're editing your post so much later. Taking more sacks, fumbling more, and throwing more picks isn't "outperforming."

I also don't know why you're going back on your argument, claiming Romo never had all these different things at receiver, running back, etc. Now you're just saying this year the supporting cast was "similar" at best. Mentioning Roy Williams and Laurent Robinson and just ignoring the other talented receivers is a silly, not to mention Robinson was a #3 receiver(which isn't even counting HOF TE Witten) and I'm pretty sure Roy Williams was still better than Kevin Walter.

By the way the argument that Schaub is a product of the O-Line, Andre Johnson, or Arian Foster is a very tired one, and a particularly dumb one considering we've seen Schaub play without Andre Johnson, Arian Foster, Duane Brown, and even throw in Owen Daniels for good measure, as I said earlier one of those guys wasn't even playing much when Schaub had his best season. It's such an uninformed thing to say.

texans_uk wrote:
I love the Texans as much as anyone but there is nothing Schaub does superior to Romo.

Schaub is less of a physical talent than Romo but he's a better progression reader and decision maker. Romo is hilariously bad about locking onto Witten, always has been, especially under pressure, and of all the players that are accused of being "chokers," in Romo's case the label is actually deserved. He did it again last year against the Redskins, giving the game away when he was blitzed.
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntiSuperstar wrote:
He did it again last year against the Redskins, giving the game away when he was blitzed.

Not the same game, but to this point: If you watched the Lions/Cowboys game, you see the same thing happen. I don't think I have ever seen a QB single handedly throw away a 20+ point lead like Romo did in that game. Well, no...Rosencopter comes to mind. That's about it, Romo completely gaffed that game up, gifted three INTs to the Lions, one which was taken back for a TD. (EDIT: Rex Grossman tried to give the Cards/Bears game away in 2006, but that Bears D and Devin Hester kept that one out of the L column. Denny Green had the most epic meltdown that day, but Sexy Rexy was a very close 2nd).

Now, I'm not a guy who really has a stance on this. I honestly believe that (all things considered) Romo = Schaub. They are on completely opposite sides of the spectrum, but the end result is the same when you really take a 10,000 foot view at each. Romo is the more athletic QB, Schaub is the "smarter" QB. Romo is good at escaping pressure, Schaub isn't. Schaub is good at reading over his defense and going to his hot reads, Romo isn't. (Better said, Romo is prone to lock onto his hot read, not looking further into his progressions). Romo is a QB who can put a team on his back and throw 4-5 TDs, but he can just as easily turn the ball over 3-4 times. Schaub is only as good as the team around him, won't really put the team on his back and rally a comeback (save for 1-2 instances in which he did, relying on safe "small ball" to do so) but he will never cost you a game in such a dramatic fashion (again, save for that one game against Baltimore on MNF). Both have had moderate statistical success in the Regular Season, both only have one win in the playoffs, both have tested the patience of their respective fanbases - albiet for completely different reasons. Texans fans lament Schaub because he's too cautious, Cowboys fans lament Romo because he's too risky. These two guys are within spitting distance of one another, somewhere in that 9-15 range. You can make a case for either one over the other, but not by much. If you rank Romo as 9, you probably have a case for Schaub at 10, and vice versa. Both are considered fringe QBs, both could seriously elevate their stature among the public with one big postseason run a la Joe Flacco...but for now, they're not nearly as good as the top five, not quite on par with 6-8, but have a strong argument against guys like Phillip Rivers, Jay Cutler, Cam Newton, Josh Freeman, Matt Stafford, etc.

(I'd have Romo, Schaub and Matt Ryan all in the same area, TBH. Ryan is a blend of the two - not as athletic as Romo, but more athletic than Schaub, not as smart with the ball as Schaub, but not as "prone to lock" as Romo, not as risky as Romo, but not as conservative as Schaub, needs one big playoff push/SB win to cement his name with the elites...Matt Stafford COULD be in this discussion as well).

In regards to the level of assets around each QB - the only way you can say the Texans have had better assets is if you look at each team through Battle Red Glasses. By and large, Romo has had a much better set of weapons. Yes, AJ is the BEST weapon of them all (and one could make a serious argument that either Dez Bryant or Jason Witten could take that title) but remember that Romo has had the quartet of Terrell Owens/Miles Austin/Roy Williams/Jason Witten, followed by Austin/Dez Bryant/Roy Williams/Witten, which was then followed by Austin/Bryant/Witten/Laurent Robinson (who had 10 TDs in his lone year as a Cowboy - that would be a franchise best for any Texans WR/TE). This past season was Bryant/Witten/Austin/Kevin Ogletree - which is probably comparable (if not considerably better) than any of the combos the Texans have put together in the Matt Schaub era (which for the duration of his tenure, really hasn't deviated from Johnson/Walter/Jones/Daniels).

Yes, AJ is the best of that group (debatable, yes...I'll concede for discussions' sake) - but Walter is clearly behind EVERY WR the Cowboys have had in this time, save for the last season of Roy Williams in Dallas and Kevin Ogletree. Jacoby might have a season in there that could be somewhat viewed as a comparable season to Miles Austin - you know, seasons in which Austin missed more than 5+ games with injury. As far as OD vs Witten - heck, I don't think Owen Daniels HIMSELF would say that he's anywhere near the level of Witten, a guy who produces as if he was a very good #1 WR. Texans have a better OL, sure. The run game is better, yeah. But in terms of targets to throw to, Dallas has crushed the Texans year in and year out, and saying otherwise is just playing favorites to the home team.

iPwn, Kempes and Flaccomania: The official sig makers for THE ET80!
ServantofYHWH

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like DHB signing with the Colts is going to have us kicking ourselves.
Marco79

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ServantofYHWH wrote:

Agreed. 3 Million is a very affordable price and is exactly what we are looking for. Would he fulfill the WR need? No, but he would have added great depth and a would be great to have stretch the field. It's a shame.
ServantofYHWH

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marco79 wrote:
ServantofYHWH wrote:

Agreed. 3 Million is a very affordable price and is exactly what we are looking for. Would he fulfill the WR need? No, but he would have added great depth and a would be great to have stretch the field. It's a shame.

Even worse he's a colt.
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marco79 wrote:
ServantofYHWH wrote:

If you listen to what Raiders' fans are saying, he's not really reliable as a field stretcher; He can run by defenders, but can't adjust for the ball mid-flight and make a play on the ball. Think Ted Ginn - all the speed in the world, but if you can't track a ball while looking over your shoulder and sprinting, that speed will amount to nothing. Sure, he can split coverage based strictly on his in-line speed, but what good does that do if the QB throws his way and he can't finish the play? In this respect, he's a lot like Ginn. Ginn had speed - LOTS of it - but he couldn't adjust to the ball mid flight on passing plays, couldn't fight off defenders to make a play on the ball and couldn't ever make that speed work to his advantage on deep ball plays.

Folks say that his best asset was his blocking and his intermediate routes; He'd be "good" in the 5-10 yard routes (and by "good" I mean he'd be 50/50 to catch the ball in his chest). In that instance in which he caught the ball, IF he broke a tackle...well, look out: He had otherworldly speed and acceleration, just got to top speed in a hurry and ran with purpose.

I won't say we shouldn't have vetted him out; We should have. (Let alone at that price the Colts got him for). But, the expectation on the guy needs to be in line with what the guy does. If you're expecting DHB to be that guy who took the tops off of defenses and brought in an over-the-shoulder grab in stride for a TD, you'd be disappointed. Sorely disappointed at that, as this seems to be the biggest knock on the guy. If you wanted a hard worker, a good blocker, a guy who runs some solid routes in between the LOS and the first down marker and a guy who can take it to the house if he shakes a tackle, then this is your guy.

iPwn, Kempes and Flaccomania: The official sig makers for THE ET80!
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
Marco79 wrote:
ServantofYHWH wrote:

If you listen to what Raiders' fans are saying, he's not really reliable as a field stretcher; He can run by defenders, but can't adjust for the ball mid-flight and make a play on the ball. Think Ted Ginn - all the speed in the world, but if you can't track a ball while looking over your shoulder and sprinting, that speed will amount to nothing. Sure, he can split coverage based strictly on his in-line speed, but what good does that do if the QB throws his way and he can't finish the play? In this respect, he's a lot like Ginn. Ginn had speed - LOTS of it - but he couldn't adjust to the ball mid flight on passing plays, couldn't fight off defenders to make a play on the ball and couldn't ever make that speed work to his advantage on deep ball plays.

Folks say that his best asset was his blocking and his intermediate routes; He'd be "good" in the 5-10 yard routes (and by "good" I mean he'd be 50/50 to catch the ball in his chest). In that instance in which he caught the ball, IF he broke a tackle...well, look out: He had otherworldly speed and acceleration, just got to top speed in a hurry and ran with purpose.

I won't say we shouldn't have vetted him out; We should have. (Let alone at that price the Colts got him for). But, the expectation on the guy needs to be in line with what the guy does. If you're expecting DHB to be that guy who took the tops off of defenses and brought in an over-the-shoulder grab in stride for a TD, you'd be disappointed. Sorely disappointed at that, as this seems to be the biggest knock on the guy. If you wanted a hard worker, a good blocker, a guy who runs some solid routes in between the LOS and the first down marker and a guy who can take it to the house if he shakes a tackle, then this is your guy.

More importantly, this is yet another guy that our secondary simply doesn't have the speed to hang with and you're not bringing JJoe off Reggie Wayne to cover DHB or TY Hilton. We couldn't hang with Jacksonville's duo with Gabbert tossing the rock last year and we ought to be leery of a healthy Britt / Wright combo this year as well. Of course, the Super Bowl still goes thru Denver, NE, and Balt and Cinn is likely to add another burner opposite AJ. Sure Ed Reed should minimize some of damage from the jailbreaks but "seeing it coming" is only good for a step or two and he's losing a half-step per season at this point and even in his prime he couldn't cover both sidelines at the same time. Say what you will about DHB, he's better than Donnie Avery who Kareem couldn't cover without drawing PI's. Friggin Harris couldn't hang with Stallworth in his 1 NFL game last year. I don't care if it's at safety or CB, but the Texans had better be paying attention to the track meet heading their direction and cranking speed up on their shopping list,as teams clearly figured out last year that the way to beat Wade's defense was to spread us out, get the inferior components of the secondary on the field (McCain/Harris, Demps, Ball, Keo, Nolan), pick us apart in the slot, and choose a few moments to burn us deep. Saints showed it the year before, but GB, Indy, and NE provided plenty of tape to dissect, and we've all been warned about the waning success rate of Wade's defenses past the first few seasons.

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
texandominance

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
CB Nnamdi Asomugha is signing a 1-yr deal with 49ers worth $1.35 million in base salary, but get this: He didn't want ANY guaranteed money.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/319212475696435201

Why didn't we sign him!!!
Wolf6151

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

texandominance wrote:
Quote:
CB Nnamdi Asomugha is signing a 1-yr deal with 49ers worth $1.35 million in base salary, but get this: He didn't want ANY guaranteed money.

I'd like to have Aso, but he probably figured the 49ers were his best chance to get a ring, and rightfuly so.
Grasspike

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolf6151 wrote:
texandominance wrote:
Quote:

I'd like to have Aso, but he probably figured the 49ers were his best chance to get a ring, and rightfuly so.

He's also a Cali guy

Sig by matthouston91
AntiSuperstar

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
Now, I'm not a guy who really has a stance on this. I honestly believe that (all things considered) Romo = Schaub.

I'm not even arguing that Schaub is better than Romo(which I think he is btw, but it's besides the point). Like I said earlier, a reasonable argument can be made that Romo is better. What annoys me is when people use idiotic "supporting cast" arguments/excuses for Romo that don't even hold up. It particularly goads me when Arian Foster's name is brought up. Not only was Foster a non-factor in 2009, Schaub's best season, but if anyone on the Texans roster is a product of the people and the system around him, it's Arian Foster.

EliteTexan80 wrote:
Texans have a better OL, sure.

I don't even think this has always been true. I still say that the Texans O-Line outside of Duane Brown from 2010 onwards is basically full of guys who are good run blockers, and nothing special as pass blockers. Last year's right side couldn't block anyone.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Page 22 of 33

Jump to: