Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Around the league
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 31, 32, 33  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dsorc

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotrac just changed the contract numbers. It used to say that Winston's bonus was 8.4M instead of 4M. Don't think there is a solid report out there of what the signing bonus really was. The move makes a lot more sense with their revised numbers as it means significant cap savings for the Chiefs. But probably, the move paves the way for a LT at #1 in the draft and signals a move to a more pass-heavy offense like Reid likes. Kinda, dumb if you ask me, to go pass heavy when you have Charles but then again Reid didn't fully take advantage of Shady McCoy either.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

God I wish we could bring Winston back. I stand by my sentiments last season that he wasn't worth the money for what he was, but I will take him over Derek Newton every day of the week.
jch1911

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dsorc wrote:
Spotrac just changed the contract numbers. It used to say that Winston's bonus was 8.4M instead of 4M. Don't think there is a solid report out there of what the signing bonus really was. The move makes a lot more sense with their revised numbers as it means significant cap savings for the Chiefs. But probably, the move paves the way for a LT at #1 in the draft and signals a move to a more pass-heavy offense like Reid likes. Kinda, dumb if you ask me, to go pass heavy when you have Charles but then again Reid didn't fully take advantage of Shady McCoy either.

LOL... they must have literally changed the #'s! Thanks for the notice dsorc.... kuz they clearly didn't have those numbers when I looked 10 minutes ago. The page I saw had lines through his contracts in 2013 and on, but this one does not. Think
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenney wrote:
God I wish we could bring Winston back. I stand by my sentiments last season that he wasn't worth the money for what he was, but I will take him over Derek Newton every day of the week.

I want him back also. Maybe he can sign with us for the cheap. Newton would be nice depth.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jch1911 wrote:
dsorc wrote:

LOL... they must have literally changed the #'s! Thanks for the notice dsorc.... kuz they clearly didn't have those numbers when I looked 10 minutes ago. The page I saw had lines through his contracts in 2013 and on, but this one does not. Think

You saw the current page. My link in the previous post is a and old version of the page that I'm guessing was up until earlier today.

Last edited by dsorc on Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A question for you guys:

Who would you rather have back? Brisiel or Winston?

Obviously I would rather have Winston back because Brooks have more potential than Newton does.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easily Winston. Not only is he better than Brisiel but Brisiel's replacements (Brooks and Ben Jones) are better than Winston's replacement (Newton). If we got Winston back we would have a top 5 O-line again.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texansfan713 wrote:
kenney wrote:

I want him back also. Maybe he can sign with us for the cheap. Newton would be nice depth.

Was in the KC room, they are saying it was because KC is moving to a pass heavy ZBS whereas Winston is a run heavy ZBS RT.

I will welcome the man back with open arms! (I think the Dolphins & Redskins are going to be our primary competition, possibly Seattle & St. Louis)
jch1911

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dsorc wrote:
Easily Winston. Not only is he better than Brisiel but Brisiel's replacements (Brooks and Ben Jones) are better than Winston's replacement (Newton). If we got Winston back we would have a top 5 O-line again.

+1.

D.Brown - W. Smith - Myers - Brooks - Winston Shocked Dancing

To paraphrase the Blues Brothers: Let's get the band back together! Pray
kenney

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jch1911 wrote:
dsorc wrote:

+1.

D.Brown - W. Smith - Myers - Brooks - Winston Shocked Dancing

To paraphrase the Blues Brothers: Let's get the band back together! Pray

I'm feeling more of a Brown - Brooks - Myers - Jones - Winston line. Cutting Wade Smith seems like a viable option to alleviate the cap predicament we're in somewhat (at least far more palatable than cutting the Ninja and more sensible than cutting Walter).
Wolf6151

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd take Eric Winston back if he came cheap, but lets remember his faults for a bit here. He has short arms and slow feet, he doesn't do well against speed rushers, thus giving up way to many sacks. I'd leave Newton at RT where I think he'll improve with experience, and move Winston to RG where I think his size, strength, and experience would benifit the Texans and Newton. His toughness and attitude would benifit the youngsters as well.
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WINSTON!
WINSTON!
WINSTON!

All I want for Christmas and my birthday is #73 back for the Texans. Very Happy

I know guy has his flaws, and there are aspects of his game that need refining...but lest we forget, the guy is MUCH better than Derek Newton in the bread and butter of our offense, the run game. Sure, Newton can improve in that aspect (where he looked very unsure of his assignments last year) but given that the window for our offensive core is getting older (all but Arian Foster and Duane Brown are over 30, and Arian's 27 is almost like a 32 in RB years) and bringing in a guy who provides a mean streak in run blocking as well as overall team attitude would...well, it would be what we need.

Think back to last year, when Joe Mays decapitated Matt Schaub - you think Winston would let that go unpunished? Our offense missed that edge last year. That "edge" is the type of thing our offense needed, that vocal leader who would call everyone out in the midst of our late season slide, say "WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING, WE'RE BETTER THAN THIS, NOW LET'S GO MAKE SOMEONE PAY!" and then lead the charge to getting back to square one. The offense missed that last year, it was pretty apparent - the team is filled with quiet leaders such as Schaub, AJ, Myers or the quirky Arian Foster. Their leadership is their own style, but the team needed someone who plays that blue collar/William Wallace-esque warrior, that guy who had no issues imposing his will on folks and getting up in their face. Winston was that guy for the Texans, and nobody filled up that spot upon his release...maybe Ben Jones will be that guy one day, but right now? Don't think so.

I don't know what you have to do to make the numbers work - cut Kevin Walter, extend 31 year old Antonio Smith for two years to lessen the cap hit this year, cut Owen Daniels, cut Wade Smith and promote Brandon Brooks...whatever. This team really needs to investigate bringing back the intimidator on offense, Matt Schaub's personal protector and the road grader that made the run offense work on the right site.

I got...about $50 bucks on me. Maybe a few hundred in the bank. I'll take up a collection myself to get Winston back in Houston, where he belongs. Very Happy

vike daddy wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
I wanna be a mod.

vastly over rated.
jch1911

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RE: Philly Daily News

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/dneagles/Has-Andy-Given-Eagles-an-Assist.html?ref=twitter.com

Quote:
Word is, the Eagles were one of the first two teams to reach out to Drew Rosenhaus, who represents Winston, and so many other former Miami Hurricanes. The other team to express immediate interest apparently was the Texans, who drafted Winston in the third round in 2006.

Also, it appears he hasn't been "officially" released... just told that it was going to happen.
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jch1911 wrote:
RE: Philly Daily News

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/dneagles/Has-Andy-Given-Eagles-an-Assist.html?ref=twitter.com

Quote:
Word is, the Eagles were one of the first two teams to reach out to Drew Rosenhaus, who represents Winston, and so many other former Miami Hurricanes. The other team to express immediate interest apparently was the Texans, who drafted Winston in the third round in 2006.

Also, it appears he hasn't been "officially" released... just told that it was going to happen.

Here's the thing that makes me feel good about this: So many of us talk about "hometown discounts" that players suppoosedly give out; It's what gives breath to retaining Connor Barwin, it is what some hoped for in the case of Mario Williams, Joel Dreessen, Mike Breisel...evidence points to it never really happening.

Winston? Well, he actually might be in a place to give said discount, because he has seen what the other side of the coin is. He went to KC, played on a 2-14 team, was heavily criticized for speaking his mind over the fans in KC cheering when Matt Cassel went down with an injury - he's seen the grass on the other side in this past season, and he knows firsthand that it's not as green as he'd like it. Sure, he got a nice payday for 16+ weeks worth of work, but did the money really matter? Given what we know about him - passionate guy who plays hard, wears his emotions on his shoulder and really valued the friends he made in the city - do you think he'd give up a few million to play with guys he knows, guys that can get the job done and get him on a winning team?

Now, he's got two choices - he could go start up a new career in a rebuilding year in Philly (where the fans are notorious for turning on players) with a nice contract, new teammates...or he could take less money, come back to Houston where he knows everyone in the locker room, and is generally beloved by the fans and media (he still does his weekly spots with Josh and Rich on 610). Sure, he won't make as much money, but he's on a contender that could use his skillset, and doesn't need to acclimate himself to new surroundings.He's still got a house here, I believe...

We shall see how it plays out, but Winston to Houston makes a lot of sense for both sides. The FAN in me says this, but I know the business side makes this a bit of a pipe dream...

vike daddy wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
I wanna be a mod.

vastly over rated.

Last edited by EliteTexan80 on Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:58 am; edited 1 time in total
LORK 88

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would gladly give Winston the money that we were planning to give Barwin. He seems like he's already out the door anyways. We know what we're getting with Winston and he's definitely a fan favorite. Our offensive line would be amazing if we signed Winston, moved Newton to swing tackle, and had Brooks and Jones compete for the RG spot. With that said, I wouldn't over-pay for him.

ADOPT-A-TEXAN: CJ "Polish Hat" Fiedorowicz

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Page 16 of 33

Jump to: