Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

IBM Countdown Daily Analytics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:46 pm    Post subject: IBM Countdown Daily Analytics Reply with quote

Anyone catch some of the crazy Accuscore numbers they have?

Cowboys 67% favorite vs Seattle
But...
Seattle 59% favorite if Lynch gets 50yds rushing

Well we know he will, so that's basically saying Seattle is favored - right?

So why a 26pt swing over 50yds rushing? What did they think he'd rush for at 67%??

Sig courtesy of mack.

Last edited by MaddHatter on Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
nugpimpen

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: IBM Countdown Daily Analytics Reply with quote

MaddHatter wrote:

But...

I noticed you guys are 3 point favs only. After the way you played in NY, i'm betting big on you.

IDOG_det on the incredible sig!
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not really worried about who it is as much as the swing...

67% favorite for Boys but if Lynch gets 50yds 59% Hawks

That's a 26pt swing on something I almost guarantee will happen. If it was 150yds then sure, I see the swing but what did they have him rushing for at 67% Dallas?

Sig courtesy of mack.
El ramster

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seattle is very hard to beat at home.. Very Very hard.
Romo has Nightmares of that place.

BBL

mozwanted wrote:
I'm beginning to like the rg3 trade
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

El ramster wrote:

See my above post

Sig courtesy of mack.
nugpimpen

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

El ramster wrote:

Didn't think about that

IDOG_det on the incredible sig!
SWATcha

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

El ramster wrote:

So does the Saints D, especially Tracy Porter Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: IBM Countdown Daily Analytics Reply with quote

MaddHatter wrote:

But...

So why a 26pt swing over 50yds rushing? What did they think he'd rush for at 67%??

I'm not sure necessarily how they factor this in, but my thought about this analytic and citing of rushing stats in general is that you have a cause-effect issue. A lot of teams have very good records when they rush 25+ times, even better with 30+. It's not that many carries bode well (i.e. lets try to get as many carries as possible), moreso that it indicates that a team is running down clock (already winning) and also sustaining drives, whether that be running or passing for the majority of the yards. Just a little thing that gets me.

More specific to this question, there are 16 games in which Lynch has posted 50 rushing yards for Seattle. In those games, they are 9-7. So, maybe they are basing it on that?

The problem with datamining/analytics in football is that there are some very loose correlations between a lot of stats and victory. Much of the time, more passing yards mean a team is losing (just one of numerous examples). Some stats can be effective for prediction (i.e. in baseball, most teams that have 20 hits in a game win), but in general, especially in football it's very hard to do this sort of analysis.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: IBM Countdown Daily Analytics Reply with quote

sp6488 wrote:
MaddHatter wrote:

But...

I'm not sure necessarily how they factor this in, but my thought about this analytic and citing of rushing stats in general is that you have a cause-effect issue. A lot of teams have very good records when they rush 25+ times, even better with 30+. It's not that many carries bode well (i.e. lets try to get as many carries as possible), moreso that it indicates that a team is running down clock (already winning) and also sustaining drives, whether that be running or passing for the majority of the yards. Just a little thing that gets me.

More specific to this question, there are 16 games in which Lynch has posted 50 rushing yards for Seattle. In those games, they are 9-7. So, maybe they are basing it on that?

The problem with datamining/analytics in football is that there are some very loose correlations between a lot of stats and victory. Much of the time, more passing yards mean a team is losing (just one of numerous examples). Some stats can be effective for prediction (i.e. in baseball, most teams that have 20 hits in a game win), but in general, especially in football it's very hard to do this sort of analysis.

But rushing Attmps can be skewd though. It doesn't always indicate that a team has a power running game or a great one per say. When I see that I think one thing for certain teams.. Most teams run a lot more trying to milk the clock. They have a 10+ lead trying to grind it out.

BBL

mozwanted wrote:
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: IBM Countdown Daily Analytics Reply with quote

sp6488 wrote:
MaddHatter wrote:

But...

I agree - like the state that the Boys are 6-0 when Murray gets 20 carries but vs the Giants I think he had 3 carries for 10yds Q1 and 5 for 10yds in Q2. Another 2 carries in Q3 before adding The other 10 carries in our last two drives when trying to kill the clock.

Sig courtesy of mack.
sp6488

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: IBM Countdown Daily Analytics Reply with quote

El ramster wrote:
sp6488 wrote:
MaddHatter wrote:

But...

But rushing Attmps can be skewd though. It doesn't always indicate that a team has a power running game or a great one per say. When I see that I think one thing for certain teams.. Most teams run a lot more trying to milk the clock. They have a 10+ lead trying to grind it out.

How does that counter what I'm saying at all? I essentially say this in my post (see bolded)...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: IBM Countdown Daily Analytics Reply with quote

sp6488 wrote:
El ramster wrote:
sp6488 wrote:
MaddHatter wrote:

But...

How does that counter what I'm saying at all? I essentially say this in my post (see bolded)...

Laughing Well then cheers.

BBL

mozwanted wrote:
El ramster

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So was this right or wrong? too lazy to be looking at the #'s..

But I was right Cool

BBL

mozwanted wrote:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: