You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Eagles Cut Mike Patterson's Salary In Half
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iPwn

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Eagles Cut Mike Patterson's Salary In Half Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
iPwn wrote:
Nabbs4u wrote:
Sums it up nicely.

vikingsrule wrote:
Under the old CBA, a team isnt under obligation to pay anything in this situation. So the Eagles very well could have chosen to pay nothing if they wanted to. They opted to atleast pay him $1M so that was a respectable move. It sounds bad, that they reduced his salary, but in reality, they werent obligated to pay him a penny. I dont know if the new CBA has different rules pertaining to this situation so maybe its different now than it was in 2008 with Udeze's situation.

That doesn't really answer the question. I know they are fully within their legal right to do this. I'm not asking why they can, buy why, after everything he did last year, they should.

Its not about what he did last year, its about what he can do THIS year. Patterson cant do anything for the Eagles, therefore the Eagles dont have to do anything for him. The Eagles dont have to pay his salary, but they chose to pay him $1M of his $2.5M salary. Its still a good deal for Patterson. I can see why some would not like the Eagles for this, but it would be much worse if the Eagles followed the CBA and opted to pay him nothing.

They can't pay him nothing like the Vikings did in 2008. He is eligible to come back, so they have to keep his contract on the books. It appears that they let go of all the money they could, while still retaining the ability to play him this year. And it's not a "good deal" for him. He could play 10 games this season, and he will make less than he would have per game unless he plays 5 games or less.

He didn't have to play last year, and he probably shouldn't have. But he did. He gave 100% of himself when he didn't have to give anything. While they can do anything they want within the rules, the right thing to do sure seems like it should be that they reciprocate his efforts for the team.

Live like you're down 3-1
snkhd09

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Keleth wrote:
Why do we think sports stars should be treated differently

Sports stars should be treated differently. They are a rare breed, and have a demanding profession that doesnt last long. You cant compare everyday professionals to professional sports stars. It doesnt work and its near delusional if you do.

Very true. Ever since I graduated and got a good job, I'm expecting to remain in the same profession and gradually increase my earning potential over 40+ years. NFL players on average experience single digit year career path with uncertainty after that.
Fender

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

snkhd09 wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
Keleth wrote:
Why do we think sports stars should be treated differently

Sports stars should be treated differently. They are a rare breed, and have a demanding profession that doesnt last long. You cant compare everyday professionals to professional sports stars. It doesnt work and its near delusional if you do.

Very true. Ever since I graduated and got a good job, I'm expecting to remain in the same profession and gradually increase my earning potential over 40+ years. NFL players on average experience single digit year career path with uncertainty after that.

Eh, if they fall flat on their face after that thats their problem - and they should be considered lucky that their physical gifts were enough to overcome their low scholastic aptitude.

If you cant turn a multi-million dollar nest-egg (received from playing a game for a few years) into a comfortable, well above-average existence post-football then why should I cry for you?
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if its in a contract he signed, can you fault them?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope the Eagles are helping him out with his medical bills. I wouldn't have done this if I owned a football team but I can see where the Eagles are coming from.

Courtesy of an online joke search.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tom cody wrote:
Hope the Eagles are helping him out with his medical bills. I wouldn't have done this if I owned a football team but I can see where the Eagles are coming from.

Im sure he has the best medical coverage a person can get.
incognito_man

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Eagles Cut Mike Patterson's Salary In Half Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:

That doesn't really answer the question. I know they are fully within their legal right to do this. I'm not asking why they can, buy why, after everything he did last year, they should.

Why should they?

Because he's not giving them more value than what they are paying him in their opinion. It's really as simple as that.
iPwn

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Eagles Cut Mike Patterson's Salary In Half Reply with quote

incognito_man wrote:
iPwn wrote:

Why should they?

Because he's not giving them more value than what they are paying him in their opinion. It's really as simple as that.
And what he gave to them last year far exceeds what they paid for it.

incognito_man

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Eagles Cut Mike Patterson's Salary In Half Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
incognito_man wrote:
iPwn wrote:

Why should they?

And what he gave to them last year far exceeds what they paid for it.

Not according to Mike Patterson.

He's the one who agreed he was worth that much.
iPwn

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Eagles Cut Mike Patterson's Salary In Half Reply with quote

incognito_man wrote:
Not according to Mike Patterson.

He's the one who agreed he was worth that much.

Missed the point.

Quote:
He didn't have to play last year, and he probably shouldn't have. But he did. He gave 100% of himself when he didn't have to give anything. While they can do anything they want within the rules, the right thing to do sure seems like it should be that they reciprocate his efforts for the team.

incognito_man

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Eagles Cut Mike Patterson's Salary In Half Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:

Quote:

You missed the point.

Did he play for free last year? Just outta the goodness of his heart? Did he return his paychecks to the team?

Otherwise, there is no point to the above.
iPwn

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Eagles Cut Mike Patterson's Salary In Half Reply with quote

incognito_man wrote:
iPwn wrote:

Quote:

You missed the point.

Did he play for free last year? Just outta the goodness of his heart? Did he return his paychecks to the team?

Otherwise, there is no point to the above.

Did he have to play last year?

incognito_man

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Eagles Cut Mike Patterson's Salary In Half Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:

Nope.

In fact, he never had to ever play in the NFL if he didn't want to.

But he chose to and is very well compensated.
iPwn

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Eagles Cut Mike Patterson's Salary In Half Reply with quote

incognito_man wrote:
iPwn wrote:

Nope.

In fact, he never had to ever play in the NFL if he didn't want to.

But he chose to and is very well compensated.

Did he play despite having a significantly higher "disaster risk than any other player last year?

incognito_man

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Eagles Cut Mike Patterson's Salary In Half Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:

Did he play despite having a significantly higher "disaster risk than any other player last year?

Maybe.

His choice. He took the money to play. End of story.

If you're finished asking silly questions I assume we're done?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: