Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

A question about NT.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oland11

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject: A question about NT. Reply with quote

So i'm an Eagles fan and i'm just wondering whats the consensus on NT from a Steelers fan. I know Casey Hampton came back from PUP and he will probably be starting this season but whats going on with T'Amu Alameda? I think thats the guys name. You drafted him in the 3rd or 4th and he is likea behemoth. Whats going on with him? And What happened to David DeCastro and when is he coming back. I heard of was an MCL sprain and he will most likely miss 4 weeks.

Thanks guy.
at23steelers

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: A question about NT. Reply with quote

oland11 wrote:
So i'm an Eagles fan and i'm just wondering whats the consensus on NT from a Steelers fan. I know Casey Hampton came back from PUP and he will probably be starting this season but whats going on with T'Amu Alameda? I think thats the guys name. You drafted him in the 3rd or 4th and he is likea behemoth. Whats going on with him? And What happened to David DeCastro and when is he coming back. I heard of was an MCL sprain and he will most likely miss 4 weeks.

Thanks guy.

Yep, Decastro on IR, but player we can get back from IR when healthy because of new rule. Ta'amu has great potential but is so raw currently, that he is not gameday ready.
Dook

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have an UDFA named McClendon that's impressed the coach's enough to be our #2 NT. We're probably not going to see Ta'amu much this season unless Hampton or McLendon get injured.

Hampton played in the Bronco's game but I didn't watch him enough to say whether he's playing well or not but I think all Steeler fans pretty much feel he's in his last season with us.

DeCastro is on the short IR list, I personally hope they don't try to bring him back this season and let him heal completely.
oland11

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dook wrote:
Hampton played in the Bronco's game but I didn't watch him enough to say whether he's playing well or not but I think all Steeler fans pretty much feel he's in his last season with us.

I really hope he retires after this season. He has been a top 5 NT for the past decade and he wouldn't look good in any other uniform. He should retire after this season.
3rivers

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: A question about NT. Reply with quote

oland11 wrote:

Thanks guy.

My point of view is that the classic 3-4 NT like hampton 2 gapper 0 tech etc, is not of the same importance in the game that is played these days. Hampton is starting, but AL let down the coaches with conditioning and is raw in this scheme. NT was so key at one time, stuffing the run etc. Now it takes on a different role, still important, just not the same way. As much as I liked 3-4 all these years and great NT play in the old NFL, the game has changed and I actually would prefer a 4-3 if James Harrison is not playing , since he makes the 3-4 what it is supposed to be.

Decastro (DD over here) ripped his knee up in the bills game, and it was serious. Even if he heals at a fast pace, his strength will have to be rediscovered and that is no guarantee. We want him in the line up, but that will have to wait another year Embarassed
stillersenat

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: A question about NT. Reply with quote

3rivers wrote:
Decastro (DD over here) ripped his knee up in the bills game, and it was serious. Even if he heals at a fast pace, his strength will have to be rediscovered and that is no guarantee. We want him in the line up, but that will have to wait another year Embarassed

We'll see, but I pretty much agree with this idea. By the time DD would get off the IR, we will know if someone can hold down his spot for the rest of the year or not. If Foster is doing at least adequately, then keep DD on the IR.

Rookies usually need a year in the weight room to begin with. Let him bulk up and heal up for a year. Then we'll get to see the real DD next year.

CaptainParker wrote:

Bubby outplayed Elway in everything....
jebrick

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO, the new rules for chop blocking will end the days of the classic NT like Casey Hampton. 2-gap can not be played if the linemen must always be watching their knees for a chop.

The Steelers have the pieces in place on the dline ( Hood, Heyward, McLendon) to do a 1-gap style ( A'la Houston) but they need Mitchell to retire so we can move on. They would need to change their ILB to complete the change.

No matter what 3rivers keeps blathering, they are not switching to a 4-3 as a base defense anytime in the next decade or so. roughly 30 years of playing the 3-4 has it down to a nice system for the scouts to judge players.

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
kethnaab

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebrick wrote:
IMHO, the new rules for chop blocking will end the days of the classic NT like Casey Hampton. 2-gap can not be played if the linemen must always be watching their knees for a chop.

The Steelers have the pieces in place on the dline ( Hood, Heyward, McLendon) to do a 1-gap style ( A'la Houston) but they need Mitchell to retire so we can move on. They would need to change their ILB to complete the change.

No matter what 3rivers keeps blathering, they are not switching to a 4-3 as a base defense anytime in the next decade or so. roughly 30 years of playing the 3-4 has it down to a nice system for the scouts to judge players.

yup. agreed on all early points, although I wouldn't be surprised to see some 4-3 looks if we brought in a different DC. Obviously it in't happening with LeBeau though, then again, a 1-gap isn't either. They'll need to move LeBeau and Mitchell for a 1-gap to happen.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: