Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Game 1 Observations
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
WillParks


Joined: 24 Feb 2009
Posts: 391
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Game 1 Observations Reply with quote

I just finished watching the game and figured I would share my observations and see how other people saw things:

1. Our run defense was pretty good. Steven Jackson usually burns the Lions but we kept their running game bottle up. They were pretty good on screens also. Suh's one-armed tackle on Jackson was ridiculous (in a good way).

2. The passing game was completely disjointed until the last 10 minutes of the game today. Where was the Titus Young that everyone said was poised for a breakout season? I think St. Louis has more talent on defense than they are generally given credit for but are they really that good?

3. Jonte Green; loaded with potential but is definitely going through some growing pains. He had good position on the touchdown he gave up but never turned his head around. Still, that was a pass that would be tough for a a lot of CBs to defend.

4. Brandon Pettigrew; why are we still dealing with his inconsistent hands? He had some good catches today but dropped a TD pass. Granted the pass was high but it was a catch he should have made. I think it is time to just say that he is a solid all-around TE but in terms of pass-catching just solid but not spectacular.

5. Lions secondary; they did pretty well against a group of Rams receivers that isn't that great. We got by today but I am curious to what will happen against a stronger group of receivers.

6. Erik Coleman John Wendling; They had a really solid game. Good run support, good open field tackling and kept most everything in front of them.

7. Bill Bentley; solid game even though he left with an injury. I suspect that during the second half of our season Bill Bentley and Jonte Green will be settled into their roles. There will be some growing pains between now and then though.

What does everyone else think?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Louis Friend


Joined: 07 Apr 2010
Posts: 8045
Location: Detroit, MI
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this belongs in the game thread.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lions on top


Joined: 12 Mar 2007
Posts: 1503
Location: Washington
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some other things I noticed...

1. Everyone was talking about the Rams D-line, well our offensive line shut that up quickly. This group of five had a very solid game, only one sacked allowed and some really good holes for the running game.

2. We need Bentley, it is scary the way they said "shaken up", I hope it's not another concussion, it's ridiculous how many injuries we have to go through year in and year out exclusively in our secondary. Jonte... just is not ready to play in the NFL, wouldn't be surprised at all if we sign Alphonso Smith this week.

Also why didn't Barnes play? If Florence was out there without really knowing the system why not Barnes? I guarantee he is better than Green at this point, I was sweating when I saw Jonte was on the field, he doesn't even look for the ball.

3. Kevin Smith had a nice game running, catching and blocking for Stafford, I am comfortable with him as a starter.

4. Defense overall played very well, not sure if the Ram's O is just that bad or if things are finally starting to turn around after that terrible stretch last year.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
detroitroar


Joined: 24 Jan 2011
Posts: 4338
Location: USA
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get the bad out of the way:

-I was very disappointed with how long it took for our Offense to adjust to what they were doing. I thought it was obvious after the first INT that we were going to need to take shots deep to stretch the field; we didnt do so until the third INT.

-Also thought we should of run the ball more. It was a tight game, our D was playing well, passing game struggling, we were running well, yet we chose to be arrogant, IMO.

The good:

-Good ST's play.

-LB's played very well.

-Limited the penalties.

-Great overall Oline play.

-Dline dominated.

-Secondary held their own.

-Stafford proves yet again he has the clutch gene. He needs time often to get going, but he without a doubt has the resolve to finish games, no matter the situation.


I am neither encouraged nor discouraged overall with this team. I rather have a wait-and-see approach. I said before the game I expect the Rams to be one of the most improved teams in the league, and looking back later, this may prove to be a solid win, rather than a near gaffe.

We will learn a ton more about this team come next Sunday night.
_________________
Team Stylish

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
studdogs


Joined: 02 Feb 2007
Posts: 844
Location: Linden, Mi
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

detroitroar wrote:
Get the bad out of the way:

-I was very disappointed with how long it took for our Offense to adjust to what they were doing. I thought it was obvious after the first INT that we were going to need to take shots deep to stretch the field; we didnt do so until the third INT.

-Also thought we should of run the ball more. It was a tight game, our D was playing well, passing game struggling, we were running well, yet we chose to be arrogant, IMO.

The good:

-Good ST's play.

-LB's played very well.

-Limited the penalties.

-Great overall Oline play.

-Dline dominated.

-Secondary held their own.

-Stafford proves yet again he has the clutch gene. He needs time often to get going, but he without a doubt has the resolve to finish games, no matter the situation.


I am neither encouraged nor discouraged overall with this team. I rather have a wait-and-see approach. I said before the game I expect the Rams to be one of the most improved teams in the league, and looking back later, this may prove to be a solid win, rather than a near gaffe.

We will learn a ton more about this team come next Sunday night.

49'ers 10 - GB 0... heading into the halftime...wow...we sure will learn a lot more?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Jrugges


Joined: 26 Mar 2007
Posts: 9016
Location: White Lake, Mi.
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 things.

Lions can't cover very well. Please draft some coverage talent!

Stafford is looking erry similiar to Jay Cutler in the early days of Denver. Just saying. Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
detfan782004


Joined: 01 Apr 2005
Posts: 48892
Location: Montana
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louis Friend wrote:
I think this belongs in the game thread.


There is always an observation thread.

My observations


-- Det needs to stick to the run game. They had 55 yards in first half then went away from it.

-- Fairley looked really good

-- Was disappointed to see Broyles inactive

-- Logan was pretty good on PR
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
diehardlionfan


Joined: 12 Mar 2007
Posts: 25174
Location: Ottawa
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Game 1 Observations Reply with quote

WillParks wrote:
I just finished watching the game and figured I would share my observations and see how other people saw things:

1. Our run defense was pretty good. Steven Jackson usually burns the Lions but we kept their running game bottle up. They were pretty good on screens also. Suh's one-armed tackle on Jackson was ridiculous (in a good way).

The Rams have some injury concerns on the oline and last year gave up the most sacks in the league I believe.

2. The passing game was completely disjointed until the last 10 minutes of the game today. Where was the Titus Young that everyone said was poised for a breakout season? I think St. Louis has more talent on defense than they are generally given credit for but are they really that good?

Yes, I think they are. Had they not had DT's out the may have pressured Stafford into more errant throws.

3. Jonte Green; loaded with potential but is definitely going through some growing pains. He had good position on the touchdown he gave up but never turned his head around. Still, that was a pass that would be tough for a a lot of CBs to defend.

Agreed

4. Brandon Pettigrew; why are we still dealing with his inconsistent hands? He had some good catches today but dropped a TD pass. Granted the pass was high but it was a catch he should have made. I think it is time to just say that he is a solid all-around TE but in terms of pass-catching just solid but not spectacular.

I somewhat disagree. The dropped TD Stafford didn't do him any favors with ball placement. Fully extended, falling backwards about to be hit is amongst the most difficult passes to reel in. Everyone seems to notice a drop but fails to notice the tough catches he makes or his second effort after contact.

5. Lions secondary; they did pretty well against a group of Rams receivers that isn't that great. We got by today but I am curious to what will happen against a stronger group of receivers.

Agreed. They held their own today.

6. Erik Coleman John Wendling; They had a really solid game. Good run support, good open field tackling and kept most everything in front of them.

Agreed

7. Bill Bentley; solid game even though he left with an injury. I suspect that during the second half of our season Bill Bentley and Jonte Green will be settled into their roles. There will be some growing pains between now and then though.

What does everyone else think?

_________________


Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TL-TwoWinsAway


Joined: 19 Feb 2008
Posts: 25771
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jrugges wrote:
Lions can't cover very well. Please draft some coverage talent!

We were missing Houston. That's a pretty big part of the equation: when your weakness is missing its strength, it's not going to be pretty.

I don't blame Pettigrew for dropping the TD: that was an extremely difficult catch, and one he almost had.

The OLine deserves a lot of credit: Gosder had a tough match-up, and played a great game.
_________________


Team Stylish
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sllim Pickens


Moderator
Joined: 02 Jan 2007
Posts: 19035
Location: Middle of the Mitten
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
Jrugges wrote:
Lions can't cover very well. Please draft some coverage talent!

We were missing Houston. That's a pretty big part of the equation: when your weakness is missing its strength, it's not going to be pretty.

I don't blame Pettigrew for dropping the TD: that was an extremely difficult catch, and one he almost had.

The OLine deserves a lot of credit: Gosder had a tough match-up, and played a great game.


We were also missing Delmas, and I think we covered pretty well all day. Florence would have been beat if Bradford didn't under throw Quick but he did recover and make a play. I thought Green had great position on the TD but Gibson made a great catch on a great throw. Some complain about him not getting his head around but I'm just glad he was in position. A lot of CBs don't get their head around on that play.

I don't blame Grew for the dropped TD completely but he should have had it. He also should have had a couple other balls thrown his way. He did come up big the last couple drives but he needs to cut out the early mistakes. It definitely was not one of his best games.

The O line did play pretty well. Kevin Smith also was solid in pass protection. Both tackles struggled on some plays but they were pretty solid for the most part. I'll take this performance from our line any day.
_________________


Adopt-A-Lion - Riley Reiff, OT/TE/FB
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
TL-TwoWinsAway


Joined: 19 Feb 2008
Posts: 25771
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sllim Pickens wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
Jrugges wrote:
Lions can't cover very well. Please draft some coverage talent!

We were missing Houston. That's a pretty big part of the equation: when your weakness is missing its strength, it's not going to be pretty.

I don't blame Pettigrew for dropping the TD: that was an extremely difficult catch, and one he almost had.

The OLine deserves a lot of credit: Gosder had a tough match-up, and played a great game.


We were also missing Delmas, and I think we covered pretty well all day. Florence would have been beat if Bradford didn't under throw Quick but he did recover and make a play. I thought Green had great position on the TD but Gibson made a great catch on a great throw. Some complain about him not getting his head around but I'm just glad he was in position. A lot of CBs don't get their head around on that play.

I don't blame Grew for the dropped TD completely but he should have had it. He also should have had a couple other balls thrown his way. He did come up big the last couple drives but he needs to cut out the early mistakes. It definitely was not one of his best games.

The O line did play pretty well. Kevin Smith also was solid in pass protection. Both tackles struggled on some plays but they were pretty solid for the most part. I'll take this performance from our line any day.

I agree.

(Long beat Gosder once, but he had an incredible jump off the snap. It's one of those unique plays where the DE times it perfectly, and there's not much the line can do to react.)
_________________


Team Stylish
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
usedaschwartz


Joined: 10 Feb 2009
Posts: 326
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the words of Cleveland Brown, Jonte Green is "turrible". Please practice squad this guy, no one is going to put in a waiver for him.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Big Cat


Joined: 13 Jan 2007
Posts: 2688
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
Sllim Pickens wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
Jrugges wrote:
Lions can't cover very well. Please draft some coverage talent!

We were missing Houston. That's a pretty big part of the equation: when your weakness is missing its strength, it's not going to be pretty.

I don't blame Pettigrew for dropping the TD: that was an extremely difficult catch, and one he almost had.

The OLine deserves a lot of credit: Gosder had a tough match-up, and played a great game.


We were also missing Delmas, and I think we covered pretty well all day. Florence would have been beat if Bradford didn't under throw Quick but he did
recover and make a play. I thought Green had great position on the TD but
Gibson made a great catch on a great throw. Some complain about him not getting his head around but I'm just glad he was in position. A lot of CBs don't get their head around on that play.

I don't blame Grew for the dropped TD completely but he should have had it.
He also should have had a couple other balls thrown his way. He did come up big the last couple drives but he needs to cut out the early mistakes. It
definitely was not one of his best games.

The O line did play pretty well. Kevin Smith also was solid in pass protection. Both tackles struggled on some plays but they were pretty solid for the most part. I'll take this performance from our line any day.

I agree.

(Long beat Gosder once, but he had an incredible jump off the snap. It's one of those unique plays where the DE times it perfectly, and there's not
much the line can do to react.)


Long was offsides when he beat GC. Even the announcers saw it. Our OL played great especiallly when you consider everyone knows we"re going to pass all day. With RR and Fox in the hole this unit is looking good.


Last edited by Big Cat on Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
IDOG_det


Joined: 02 Mar 2009
Posts: 22935
Location: Ron Paul 2012 #JDI
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We really need Delmas. Can't wait for Leshoure. Hope Bentleys alright. I also want to know what happened to Barnes?
_________________


R.I.P. Stylish
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sllim Pickens


Moderator
Joined: 02 Jan 2007
Posts: 19035
Location: Middle of the Mitten
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I read Bentley had a conclusion. I hope it's not too bad of one if true.
_________________


Adopt-A-Lion - Riley Reiff, OT/TE/FB
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group