Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

GDT Week 2: Broncos [1-0] @ Falcons [1-0] MNF!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 28, 29, 30  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lomaxgr

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got all-22 now. Will post thoughts later ...

MUFC OK
lomaxgr

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manning's 1st INT - Manning never finds William Moore, and it is actually a result of the no huddle. At the snap, Moore is at the same depth as his LB's trying to communicate and then when he realises the ball has been snapped, he gets his depth. I actually think it is a Cover 4 Defense, hence Moore getting his depth so quickly and Manning not finding him at all. You could say it was well disguised by the Falcons, but I genuinely don't think that is the case because Moore is interacting with the LB's at the snap of the ball.

This INT was actually quite unlucky for us. I said pre game we would target the seams of the Defense and it looked like Tamme was open in the seam, but it turns out Moore was just out of sight.

Manning's 2nd INT - yet again the Falcons are in Cover 4 but this time, they are aligned presnap. Dunta Robinson does a nice job acting like he is in man coverage, but just as Robinson vacates Eric Decker to stay in his zone, Manning stares down Stokley in the seem whilst Decker is wideeeeee open for a 15-20 gain. I have no idea what Manning saw here. Stokley gets past the SS (Moore) but even if the ball goes over the top of Moore, the LCB is there to make a play on the ball. Because he is in zone all the way from such depth, the FS (Decoud) stares at Manning all the way and has the easiest pick of his life. It looks like Manning was anticipating Stokley to run back more towards the QB with his route, but it is irrelevant anyway. That throw wasn't there; bad, bad decision. Manny Ramirez getting beat like a drum (again) didn't help.

On Gonzo's 1st big play of the game, I have no why Von Miller doesn't chip him off the LOS. We don't know whether he has been told to or not, but Miller is aligned right over the top of him as a SLB. Gonzo isn't touched once until he catches a ball 15 yards downfield. Mike Adams is in man coverage but he doesn't have a chance when the TE gets a release like that is running across the field from Adams.

On that dropped Julio Jones play in the endzone, Rahim Moore read it really well from his Cover 1 Safety spot. If he had found the Football rather than running a terrible angle, he would have had a play on the ball (to at least deflect it). Tough to ask from a Cover 1 Safety, but he has to have more faith in his instincts if he wants to make plays on the Football.

Willis McGahee got away with such a blatant hold on that 3rd and 1 conversion to Stokley when Manning was off balance.

On the 3rd INT - you can watch the perfect breakdown of this play here, which is ex player Matt Bowen breaking it down. Basically the Falcons are in Cover 3, and the LCB does a great job in splitting the two WR's that running through his zone. Bowen mentions that the FS (Moore) getting his depth is the key to the play which is fair enough, but I think Manning's read presnap is more important. I think that Manning thought the Falcons were in Cover 2 and that Stokley had beaten Moore deep, and once you beat the FS in Cover 2 you are home and dry. However, because the LCB is part of the deep Cover 3, he is reading Manning's eyes whilst splitting the two WR's in his zone, hence him being able to come over and make the play.

The throw is actually a fantastic one in terms of ball location against a Cover 2. However, the read and then the decision to throw to Stokley vs a Cover 3 was a bad one. Again, Manning had men open underneath. Lack of patience evident here. One thing is for sure - pass pro hasn't been an issue so far and neither has run blocking. That 18 yard McGahee run was an absolute beauty. I will watch some more later.

MUFC OK
AKRNA

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lomax, if you wouild, give us a take on why our DL looks so active. It can be pretty yough to see a DL slant from a sideline cam. Thanx
broncosfan07

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AKRNA wrote:
lomax, if you wouild, give us a take on why our DL looks so active. It can be pretty yough to see a DL slant from a sideline cam. Thanx
Coaching has a lot to do with it. JDR has always had his DLs playing pretty active.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some more notes from all 22/endzone view :-

* Joel Dreesen is blocking his butt off. For the 20+ McGahee run in the 1st quarter, he blocks Ray Edwards 1 on 1 and McGahee runs right by him into the hole. Another beautifully blocked play.

* The very next play sees potential for another big gainer, but on a zone slant left both Zane Beadles and H-Back Jacob Tamme ignore Stephen Nicholas who bursts into make the play. If one of them got a helmet on him, Moreno had a 7+ guaranteed (yes, even Knowshon).

* I know he's our leading receiver, but in critical situations I am sure Manning still doesn't trust Bay Bay. On 3rd and 8 he has Thomas in clear 1v1 man coverage against Dunta Robinson on the outside. Thomas beats Robinson with ease on the slant route back to the QB. Manning instead looks right to Tamme and the play comes up 1 yard short. I may be being over critical, but Manning has to look Thomas' way there.

* The play Moreno fumbled on was actually the same call as the play we ran the snap before, which went for about 10 yards. Manny Ramirez completely whiffs this time and Moreno is forced to bounce it outside. Why on earth he didn't feel the defender behind him, I will never know.

* What a BS call that was on 3rd down when Joe Mays fell on a sliding Matt Ryan. Mays was clearly already committed, and there was barely any contact at all. Interestingly, we played Mike Adams as a Nickel LB (was 3rd and 7), with him and Quentin Carter (SS) doubling Tony Gonzalez. Rahim Moore played the single high Safety in Cover 1, and did a fine job in rolling over to help Tony Carter who was beaten by Julio Jones.

* Von still needs worth on contain from Play Action and misdirection running plays. He is so eager to get his nose into the action that he doesn't smell trickery out well enough yet. That said, on this 3rd down play that Roddy White caught for a 1st, Von had Mike Adams outside him who should definitely have gone for the QB.

* On 1st and 15 we had Ayers at LE, Dumervil and Unrein at DT and Malik Jackson at RE. Unrein lines up in the 0 technique over the Center, and for some reason the Center goes to help double Dumervil, expecting his LG to get over and block Unrein 1v1. Unrein is too quick and ends up hitting Matt Ryan (who throws an incomplete pass). Great man coverage from WW to help with the incompletion.

* Falcons target Von's contain ability again with a Play Action slant with a naked boot, and it is the exact same play as before. This time it is Harry Douglas who comes under the OL and we lose him in coverage. Play goes for 9 yards on 1st down. That is the 2nd time we have struggled with that play and it is a STAPLE of the Texans Offense. Got to get better and fast.

* Kevin Vickerson is too powerful to block 1v1 in the running game. Very impressed with him so far in this (midway through the 2nd). That said, I have no idea why JDR decided to put him in coverage for 2 plays out of 3 in our own half ...

* If we are being critical, I think Manning led Bay Bay too much for the dropped TD pass. Bay Bay ran a beautiful post route with a double move and beat Dunta Robinson with ease. Stokley made the SS come up which freed up the deep left middle, but Manning led Thomas straight into William Moore. Fair play to Moore for showing the range to get over, but you could tell Manning was scared of throwing pick #4 (even though Robinson would never have caught Thomas). Manning was rolling left though, and I didn't see any velocity issues with the throw.

* Great catch by Demaryius for the TD, but how about the ball location? Perfect.

To be honest, we played a good half of Football outside of the turnovers. I was impressed with our DB's the most on Defense. Watching all 22 really opens your eyes to our coverage schemes. Our CB's played man coverage on at least 90% of passing plays with two deep Safeties normally being the coverage behind them. All 22 shows just how much Rahim Moore covers the RCB with Mike Adams playing mostly in the intermediate left seam. Champ Bailey gets such little help over the top; he really is incredible. The only time I saw him get beat all half was a perfect back shoulder throw to Roddy White. No CB in the NFL would have covered it.

AKRNA - to be honest, I didn't see a great deal special about our DL other than sound, disciplined Football. It seemed to me that in the running game the Falcons thought they could single up inside on our DT's with the spare Interior Lineman trying to get straight to the 2nd level. Needless to say, it didn't work. Kevin Vickerson and Mitch Unrein can't be consistently blocked in the run game by an average run blocking OL like the Falcons. Derek Wolfe is still learning, and he should really be making a few more splash plays because he isn't being double teamed.

I think the key to our Front 7 looking active as you put it, is that they are very well disciplined in the power running game. Joe Mays and Keith Brooking (who played a lot in the 2nd quarter) are both willing to stick their nose in the face of a pulling Guard/FB, and I think both did a very nice job of it in the 1st half. Some of you may remember, but I voiced my concern during the preseason about our ability to defend zone runs and zone Play Action. It slows down guys like Von Miller who like to commit to speed rushes, and are too inexperienced to see bootlegs developing. Our Interior DL need to stay on their feet and stay in their gaps this Sunday, because the Texans will be cutting non stop.

Will try to watch the 2nd half soon.

MUFC OK
BroncoinGermany

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff as always. Thanks lomaxgr. Perhaps next season I won't purchase Madden and instead go with the All 22 package on top of my GamePass...

Chasing Lombardi and Stanley!
WELTMEISTER 2014 * * * *
by Joe_is_the_best
lomaxgr

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BroncoinGermany wrote:
Good stuff as always. Thanks lomaxgr. Perhaps next season I won't purchase Madden and instead go with the All 22 package on top of my GamePass...

Do you have gamepass? You get it free with it if you do.

MUFC OK
AKRNA

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx lomax. Just seemed to me we may be running a lot of slants for gap control. real hard to tell from a sideline view though.

We definitely seem to attack the los alot.

Also, it appears WW is making a lot more plays at or near the los than in the past. How's that look from a top view?
BroncoinGermany

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lomaxgr wrote:
BroncoinGermany wrote:

Do you have gamepass? You get it free with it if you do.

Wow. You are right. Shocked

Chasing Lombardi and Stanley!
WELTMEISTER 2014 * * * *
by Joe_is_the_best
roar2014

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another really good breakdown of Manning's three INT's is here:

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/broncos/entry/second-helping-of-peyton-mannings-three-interceptions-atlanta
lomaxgr

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roar2014 wrote:
Another really good breakdown of Manning's three INT's is here:

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/broncos/entry/second-helping-of-peyton-mannings-three-interceptions-atlanta

Wow, pretty much identical to my breakdown. Cool read, cheers for posting.

MUFC OK
dbronx42

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Demaryius has put any questions about his route running to shame. I give a ton of credit to Manning for that. The practices i went to this summer Peyton would stop practice, walk over to Demaryius and let him know what exactly he was doing wrong. Which was quite a few times.

If you re-watch the 2 games so far this year he has been running a variety of routes, and runs them very crisply with amazing speed. As long as he stays healthy there is a big future ahead for Thomas.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dbronx42 wrote:
Demaryius has put any questions about his route running to shame. I give a ton of credit to Manning for that. The practices i went to this summer Peyton would stop practice, walk over to Demaryius and let him know what exactly he was doing wrong. Which was quite a few times.

If you re-watch the 2 games so far this year he has been running a variety of routes, and runs them very crisply with amazing speed. As long as he stays healthy there is a big future ahead for Thomas.
I couldn't agree more. Thomas is going to have ridiculous numbers this year if he stays healthy. I know it is early, but he is on pace for 104 catches for 1504 yards and 16 TD's. So much for Decker being the "go to guy". Thomas is a star in the making. Everything we wanted and had in B-marsh without the off field problems.
JerseysFinest27

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lomaxgr, I remember seeing Nate Irving in on the 1st-team goal line package. Do you remember seeing him get any PT, outside of ST?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerseysFinest27 wrote:
lomaxgr, I remember seeing Nate Irving in on the 1st-team goal line package. Do you remember seeing him get any PT, outside of ST?

I was actually happy to see Mays go off the field injured for a couple plays. Irving is progressing really nicely. I saw him make a great tackle on ST and I hope he can bring that sure tackling technique to our MLB position very soon in the future.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 29 of 30

Jump to: