Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Omar Kahn

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:00 pm    Post subject: Omar Kahn Reply with quote

What can you guys tell me about Omar Kahn? I know he has been with the Steelers since 2001 IIRC, but I am wondering what you guys think about him as a potential GM candidate? Kevin Colbert deserves alot of credit as the GM, how much credit do you think Kahn deserves for the overall roster and organizational stability?

Thanks to ryknowssd for the sig!

Trent Baalke for 2013 NFL executive of the year.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Khan is the capologist and contract guy. He basically just works to resign players he is told to do so with, so its hard to say how good he would be in a traditional GM role like Colbert.

Khan has done a nice job, but some give the guy a little too much love IMO. Now...in no way am I saying he has done a poor job, but some of the contracts we have given out, particularly the size for what certain players bring to the table (or more appropriately DONT bring), has been very head scratching....but thats definitely not all on him.

Bottom line, as our cap/contract guy, he has done a very respectable job, but its pretty much impossible to say how good he would be in terms of evaluating talent and building a team on his own.

Madden 25 Steelers Franchise
jebrick

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He sucks. No one would want Khan. Wink

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
Khan is the capologist and contract guy. He basically just works to resign players he is told to do so with, so its hard to say how good he would be in a traditional GM role like Colbert.

Khan has done a nice job, but some give the guy a little too much love IMO. Now...in no way am I saying he has done a poor job, but some of the contracts we have given out, particularly the size for what certain players bring to the table (or more appropriately DONT bring), has been very head scratching....but thats definitely not all on him.

Bottom line, as our cap/contract guy, he has done a very respectable job, but its pretty much impossible to say how good he would be in terms of evaluating talent and building a team on his own.

3-4,
Thanks for the response. The one thing I noticed is that the Steelers seem to be consistently up against the salary cap. Is this by design in that they are content to go to the max and aren't necessarily trying to squeeze exta money by not spending it like some other teams appear to do?

Thanks to ryknowssd for the sig!

Trent Baalke for 2013 NFL executive of the year.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicfre2011 wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:

3-4,
Thanks for the response. The one thing I noticed is that the Steelers seem to be consistently up against the salary cap. Is this by design in that they are content to go to the max and aren't necessarily trying to squeeze exta money by not spending it like some other teams appear to do?

The Steelers take care of their own.

There are actually quite a few teams that dont sign free agents and do business the same way the Steelers do. The Steelers have played this way for years.

The Steelers are always near the cap wall or over it, but they still manage to find ways to keep guys they WANT to keep around.

They do still give out questionable contracts, but nothing absurdly bad like the Raiders.

Cant argue results though. Not front office is absolutely perfect. Thats not excusing questionable moves, just saying that you have to take the good with the bad.

Madden 25 Steelers Franchise
Dook

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's by design. The goal is to be just under the cap by about $1m.

There is a minimum league salary and a maximum, mostly we all talk about the maximum but teams can spend somewhere around $20m less and still be within the salary cap rules. Some teams do that pretty consistantly, the only reason I can think of is so the owner makes more money.

If an NFL team spends up to the salary cap maximum an NFL owner should earn about $119m a year. The Rooney's figure that's enough.

As for moving Kahn to GM, I wouldn't want an accountant making decisions on football ability.
Gatoradus

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Omar Kahn isn't the "Moneyball" if that's what you are implying, sir Very Happy
JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebrick wrote:
He sucks. No one would want Khan. Wink

Agreed Wink

...you have a forum resume?
JDLefebvre

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks El ramster

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: