Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Introducing Todd Bowles
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phire

Location: #FSU #championchip #2012BirdsHoF #2012GoldStnd #YAKtoseIntolerant #Merica #TrollyRangers #Danes
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:53 pm    Post subject: Introducing Todd Bowles Reply with quote

The other thread was more for the firing of Juan Castillo.

Let's use this thread to discuss/analyze our NEW defensive coordinator, Todd Bowles.

3rd Philly DC since 2009

Quote:
He was hired in January by Reid as a defensive backs coach, a job he seemed over-qualified for since he had been an assistant head coach/secondary coach for the Dolphins since 2008 and last year became the interim head coach for the final three games after Tony Sparano was fired.

Quote:
Bowles coached under Bill Parcells, first with the Cowboys from 2005-07, then, when Parcells took over in Miami, he brought Bowles with him. He started his coaching career with the Jets in 2000 before moving on to Cleveland from 2001-04.

How did it all go down??

Quote:
It was a normal morning for Todd Bowles. Got to the NovaCare Complex around 5:30 a.m., hit the gym for a workout with coaching colleagues Mike Caldwell and Duce Staley, then walked down the hallway to the cafeteria for some breakfast.

That’s when Eagles head coach Andy Reid called him upstairs to his second-floor office, and suddenly it wasn’t a normal morning anymore.

“He said obviously we’re going to go with a change,” Bowles said. “He’s going to go with his gut. He felt it was the right thing to do.”

Quote:
Bowles, a North Jersey native, a safety at Temple in the 1980s, an eight-year NFL veteran and long-time NFL assistant, becomes the Eagles’ third defensive coordinator since 2009.

More on Bowles

Quote:
"We wanted another communicator for Juan," Reid said. "Someone he could talk to who has experience. That's why I brought [Bowles] here."

Quote:
"The 4-3 has been around a long time, and this is not a new system," Bowles said. "They put the ends a yard wider, and everyone thinks this is a new system. It's been around for a long time."

What will be new for Bowles are his day-to-day duties and the amount of players he oversees. As the secondary coach, Bowles needed to worry about only the cornerbacks and safeties and did not spend much time preparing for running plays. Bowles said he's familiar with the entire defense and has been in meetings with the players throughout the season.

When Bowles started working for Parcells, Parcells instructed Bowles to learn the entire system and all the players, not just the group he oversees. That way, he'd always be prepared if a change is made. Bowles heeded that advice, and now he's again in the spotlight after a change was made.

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Only for the quick and lucky.
Eagles_808

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I for one am excited to see what he brings to the table, even though the structure of this defense is already set in stone. From the minor tweaks, to sticking with a game plan that is working, to having the respect of the players. Looking forward to Bowles' new tenure as our DC.
Eagles_808

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted this in the other thread:

Eagles_808 wrote:
https://twitter.com/EaglesInsider/

Quote:
TB: We put the game plan together as a staff, I'll rely on them as I call the games.
Quote:
TB: Wide nine will stay in tact, that's what we do
Quote:
TB: Having been a player helps relate to guys
Quote:
TB: We have to finish at the end of games
Quote:
TB: Haven't decided yet whether I'll be in booth or on field

Kiltman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eagles_808 wrote:
I for one am excited to see what he brings to the table, even though the structure of this defense is already set in stone. From the minor tweaks, to sticking with a game plan that is working, to having the respect of the players. Looking forward to Bowles' new tenure as our DC.

Same. I get a sense that Nnamdi really likes and respects him. I hope that means he'll finally be put in the correct position for the entirety of the game. Will be interesting after the next six games to compare what Bowles has done to what Juan did. Bowles has his work cut out for him with the Falcons, Saints, Cowboys twice, Rg3, and maybe Cam Newton (if he gets his act together) to go up against.

2013 Gold Standard Baldy Winner | The Final(?) ENBD Champion | other stuff too
Phire

Location: #FSU #championchip #2012BirdsHoF #2012GoldStnd #YAKtoseIntolerant #Merica #TrollyRangers #Danes
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been noted numerous times already, but I think the fact that Bowles has never been a DC will prove to have some growing pains.

He's a rookie DC.

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Kiltman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phire wrote:
It's been noted numerous times already, but I think the fact that Bowles has never been a DC will prove to have some growing pains.

He's a rookie DC.

True...but he has more experience on the defensive side of the ball than both McDermott and Castillo coming into it, and I think his stint as interim head coach will be a big advantage going into it that the last two didn't have. And then he played in the league for 8 years which is another benefit he has that Juan and McDermott didn't, I gotta think that a guy who played and even started/won a Super Bowl has an xfactor he's bringing to the table.

There will be some lapses though of course.

2013 Gold Standard Baldy Winner | The Final(?) ENBD Champion | other stuff too

Last edited by Kiltman on Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
nlesthought

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So doing nothing but coaching DBs he went to Miami and became a secondary coach/asst HC? Confused

psn: nlesthought l Peppers90 on the sig

Bird Watch '13 - Placekicker #6 - Alex 'the podiatrist' Henery.
22/27 LNG 51yds; 42 XPs; 1 KOR TD given up.
Eagles_808

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nlesthought wrote:
So doing nothing but coaching DBs he went to Miami and became a secondary coach/asst HC? Confused

John Harbaugh went from coaching our Special Teams/DBs to having one of the best records of a Head Coache in their first 4 years ever in NFL history. One has nothing to do with the other IMO.
nlesthought

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eagles_808 wrote:
nlesthought wrote:

John Harbaugh went from coaching our Special Teams/DBs to having one of the best records of a Head Coache in their first 4 years ever in NFL history. One has nothing to do with the other IMO.

JH comes from a family of coaches somewhat different IMO. I was merely asking how do you become an asst HC when you never had any experience coaching anything but DBs. Was that how Miami lured him from Dallas? I know Saprano was there with him during that time.

EDIT: Maybe I just answered my own question.

psn: nlesthought l Peppers90 on the sig

Bird Watch '13 - Placekicker #6 - Alex 'the podiatrist' Henery.
22/27 LNG 51yds; 42 XPs; 1 KOR TD given up.
Eagles_808

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nlesthought wrote:
I was merely asking how do you become an asst HC when you never had any experience coaching anything but DBs.

I would think having the respect of players and coaches go a long way, along with being a bright mind who is a former player also played into that equation.
marky_b27

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last time he was a DC was 1999 at Grambling State, however, he has had a good 10 years on the defensive side in the NFL

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Marky > Foles
Eagles_808

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marky_b27 wrote:
Last time he was a DC was 1999 at Grambling State, however, he has had a good 10 years on the defensive side in the NFL

Much better expirience than Castillo, who's last work on the defensive side of the ball was a Texas High School in the late 80's.
RainbowCarebear

Location: "Are you hungry, child?" Yes, she thought, but not for food.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He got a scary face. I like that in a DC.

"Do you imagine Whoresbane loves you any better? If you did not hold the ..., he would pull out your entrails and make you eat them"
"In return, we swore that we should always be their men"
Phire

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over/Under

2 weeks before someone calls him "Todd Bowels" Wink

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Eagles_808

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phire wrote:
Over/Under

2 weeks before someone calls him "Todd Bowels" Wink

Under. I called him that in the offseason before realizing the "l" came before the "e". Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: