Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Mock Trial: A Phire Mock (v1.0)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phire

Location: #FSU #championchip #2012BirdsHoF #2012GoldStnd #YAKtoseIntolerant #TrollyRangers #Danes #CAVALRY
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:35 pm    Post subject: Mock Trial: A Phire Mock (v1.0) Reply with quote

*disclaimer - I do not watch college football, all prospects were chosen from available data and self-research. Your criticism will make me more knowledgeable of the players.

Mock Trial
*Mock off-season + draft

2012 season - The Eagles finish strong down the stretch with Andy Reid taking full control of the offense, ending their season 10-6, the division crown, and winning a wild-card playoff game against the Giants. They would lose in the divisional round, however, against Chicago.

*The performance was good enough for Lurie to give Reid a 2-year extension.
*Michael Vick is retained, but his contract is restructured.
*With Marty Mornhinweg useless and a clipboard holder down the stretch, he is relieved of his job.
*The Eagles hold pick #18 in the first round.

2013 off-season

With Marty Mornhinweg fired, Andy Reid promotes Ted Williams, current running backs coach to offensive coordinator.

Credentials
-18th year with the Eagles, 16th as RB coach.
-Scouted and recommended drafting Duce Staley, coached Westbrook, McCoy, Buckhalter, etc.
-Coached at UCLA, Arizona, and Washington State (offensive coordinator) prior to joining Eagles.

Why this move makes sense:
Andy was forced to oust his dysfunctional buddy, Marty Mornhinweg because of his ineffective offensive strategy.
Ted Williams is one of the longest tenured coaches on the team, and has always had a good relationship with Andy Reid.
Due to his experiences with coaching some excellent Eagles running backs, and a call by Jeffery Lurie to establish an offense focused on LeSean McCoy, as well as pressure from Eagles fans to have a balanced attack, Andy Reid promotes the RB coach to offensive coordinator.

Cuts/not resigned:
Darryl Tapp - too many bodies at DE, Tapp is only a modest contributor and is not retained.
King Dunlap - fragile and a failed project. Is not re-signed.
Derek Landri - opts to taste free agency and is picked up for a bigger contract with the Cleveland Browns.
Adrian Moten is cut.
Mardy Gilyard is cut.

Re-signed:
Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie - signs a 5 year contract, and serves as a cornerstone in the secondary.
Colt Anderson - for the love of special teams.
Jon Dorenbos - coveted by 31 other teams but decides to stay where his heart is: in Philadelphia.
Akeem Jordan - kept on a 1 year deal to play WILL.

Free Agent acquisitions:
Sebastian Vollmer (NE, RT) - brought in to play right tackle on a 4 year deal.
Jairus Byrd (BUF, S) - leaves Buffalo for bigger opportunities. A safety-starved Eagles team outbids other teams for his services.
Bernard Scott (CIN, RB) - brought in as veteran competition for the backfield. If he can stay healthy, can probably secure a back-up position.
Israel Idonije (CHI, DT/DE) - brought in as a replacement to Landri, a good pass rusher who can play inside, good fit for the wide-9.

2013 DRAFT
Picks
R1
R2
R3
R4
R5
R6
R6*Denver (Bunkley trade)
R7

Round 1, pick 18, the Philadelphia Eagles select:
Alex Okafor, DE, Texas 6'5, 260

Good frame, can get stronger. Good pass rusher and project for Washburn's wide-9. The Eagles go DE in the first because of age concerns with Babin and Cole. The luxury here is that Cole and Babin will have a majority of snaps in this defense. Mix in competition with Hunt, Graham, and Curry, there isn't much pressure for immediate success but there will be opportunities to make an impact in the wide-9 rotation.

Round 2, the Philadelphia Eagles select:
Sean Porter, OLB, Texas A&M 6'2, 230

Will contend with Akeem Jordan for the WILL position. The Eagles lack impact at WILL. Jordan is serviceable, and is usually off the field with a heavy dose of nickle packages. An athletic OLB who can hold his own will make the WILL relevant again and Todd Bowles will be able to throw more blitzing packages and create disguises.

Round 3, WARNING: R3 WTF PICK INCOMING, the Philadelphia Eagles select:
Oscar Johnson, OT, Louisiana Tech 6'6, 330

Annual reach pick in the 3rd round by the Eagles. They pick up a project they "liked" early, and look at that angry face. The Eagles, dumping Dunlap, need another project to work on.

Round 4, the Philadelphia Eagles select:
Rod Sweeting, CB, Georgia Tech 6'0, 180

The Eagles add depth at corner, with the position locked down between Cromartie and Asomugha, the Eagles are preparing young talent in the case one gets injured or Asomugha starts to rapidly decline due to age. With the uncertainty over Hughes and Marsh, the Eagles snag a corner in the 4th round for competition and for depth. Boykin will still be the slot corner and immediate back-up.

Round 5, the Philadelphia Eagles select:
Tyrone Goard, WR, Eastern Kentucky 6'3, 196

Round 6, the Philadelphia Eagles select:
Chris Barker, OG, Nevada 6'4, 305

Round 6 (DEN), the Philadelphia Eagles select:
Phillip Thomas, S, Fresno State 6'1, 215

Round 7, the Philadelphia Eagles select:
Mike James, RB, Miami 5'11, 222

Depth Chart

Offense (25):

WR - Maclin, Johnson, Cooper
LT - Peters, Bell
LG - Mathis, Barker
C - Kelce, Reynolds
RG - Herremens, Watkins
RT - Vollmer, Johnson
TE - Celek, Harbor
WR - Jackson, Avant, Goard
FB - Havili
RB - McCoy, Scott, Brown
QB - Vick, Foles

Defense (25):

LDE - Babin, Graham, Hunt
DT - Jenkins, Thorton
DT - Cox, Idonije
RDE - Cole, Okafor, Curry
WLB - Jordan, Porter
MLB - Ryans, Matthews
SLB - Kendricks, Chaney
LCB - Rodgers-Cromartie, Marsh
RCB - Asomugha, Sweeting, Hughes
SCB - Boykin
SS - Allen, Anderson
FS - Byrd, Coleman

Special Teams (unique 3):
KR - Boykin
PR - Johnson
P - McBriar
K - Henery
LS - Dorenbos

theuntouchable wrote:
Think about this phire. I am the real chow.

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Only for the quick and lucky.
ninjapirate

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By nfl rules a team that loses in the divisional round can pick no earlier than 24th.

other than that it was pretty awful. this is like a worst case scenario.

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Small d = pastry

Last edited by ninjapirate on Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
baconrad3

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the signings of Byrd and Vollmer.

Actually I love them Very Happy

But hate that we keep Reid AND Vick. Are you trying to kill us all?

Don't like the draft tooooo much. I don't like Okafor in the first round for us, I'd rather go WR, CB, or G there. Sean Porter is nice, but he projects more as a 3-4 outside backer. However I do like Rod Sweeting a bit.

And just wanted to point out that it's not possible for us to be picking at #18 if we make the divisional round of the playoffs unless we traded up. Just nitpicking, but ya know Wink

#OfficialBlakeBortlesHypeTrain
Remixxxxxxx

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only brightside of this mock is that we fire Marty and we draft Sean Porter.

There's no way that we need a first round defensive end, we have two young ends in Graham and Curry we don't need a third in the first round.

You want a developmental left tackle? Look no further then Brian Winters, OT, Kent State, good size, good footwork, great athlete, could use some technique work, but he's the ideal developmental prospect.

I think that's a reach on Sweating, he hasn't looked all that impressive; actually I think every pick is a reach at this point.

Quote:
but he projects more as a 3-4 outside backer.

I think Porter can make the move to a 4-3 WLB, he does have the ability to play both in a 3-4 and 4-3, though.
baconrad3

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remixxxxxxx wrote:

Quote:

I think Porter can make the move to a 4-3 WLB, he does have the ability to play both in a 3-4 and 4-3, though.

If we're going OLB in the 2nd, I'd prefer Gerald Hodges either way.

#OfficialBlakeBortlesHypeTrain
Remixxxxxxx

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baconrad3 wrote:
Remixxxxxxx wrote:

Quote:

If we're going OLB in the 2nd, I'd prefer Gerald Hodges either way.

I should've clarified that I think Porter is a 3rd rounder right now - second round WLBs would be Hodges, Brown, and Greene.
Phire

Location: #FSU #championchip #2012BirdsHoF #2012GoldStnd #YAKtoseIntolerant #TrollyRangers #Danes #CAVALRY
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had the Eagles finishing worse at first, then I was hit with a burst of optimism (thanks to Taylor) and I changed the record Laughing

Decided to keep Reid and Vick, given that they win a playoff game.

I think this defense can play at a high level for a few more years, and as long as the offensive line is sturdy enough, that our offense can score enough points to beat any team.

theuntouchable wrote:

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Phire

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

baconrad3 wrote:
I like the signings of Byrd and Vollmer.

Actually I love them Very Happy

But hate that we keep Reid AND Vick. Are you trying to kill us all?

Don't like the draft tooooo much. I don't like Okafor in the first round for us, I'd rather go WR, CB, or G there. Sean Porter is nice, but he projects more as a 3-4 outside backer. However I do like Rod Sweeting a bit.

And just wanted to point out that it's not possible for us to be picking at #18 if we make the divisional round of the playoffs unless we traded up. Just nitpicking, but ya know Wink

I like to play things conservative, don't like big changes Laughing

I was surprised to see that Byrd was listed as a potential free agent after this year. I think he's one of those dark-horses that develop in Buffalo then escape after their first contract is up.

I would love a Byrd-Allen defensive backfield.

theuntouchable wrote:

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Phire

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remixxxxxxx wrote:
The only brightside of this mock is that we fire Marty and we draft Sean Porter.

There's no way that we need a first round defensive end, we have two young ends in Graham and Curry we don't need a third in the first round.

You want a developmental left tackle? Look no further then Brian Winters, OT, Kent State, good size, good footwork, great athlete, could use some technique work, but he's the ideal developmental prospect.

I think that's a reach on Sweating, he hasn't looked all that impressive; actually I think every pick is a reach at this point.

Quote:

Thanks for the input, yeah I don't know much about college prospects so I was just trying to go easy on their positioning.

I did come across Winters when I was going through potential project linemen, but not much was written on him so I went with the other guy. I was going for shock value in the 3rd, much like what we would actually get in an Eagles draft Laughing

theuntouchable wrote:

RainbowCarebear wrote:
EaglesFan5-36-81

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off I doubt we go 10-6, I understand you're optimistic, but it isn't as if even if Andy takes the playcalling duties things won't change. Andy was never a run heavy guy, and he still scripts the first 15 plays, which usually look like this

Playction Pass
Pass
Playaction Pass
-Punt-
Pass
Pass
Pass
-Punt-
Run
Playaction Pass
Run
-1st down-
Pass
Playaction Pass
Pass
-Punt-
Run
Pass
Playaction Pass
-Interception-

I highly doubt he changes his arrogant ways.

Also, Vick doesn't deserve to be back and have his contract restructured considering we can cut him with zero cap implications.

As ninja said since we made the postseason we have to have a pick 24 or higher.

I think the next coach to get the OC gig is David Culley, but Williams wouldn't be a shock. Also since you retained Andy don't be shocked if its Washburn.

You didn't cut Bell, and you chose to not retain Dunlap? Bell is much worse than Dunlap, and has a HUGE roster bonus in the offseason that I'm almost positive he won't see.

Moten was cut last week.

Free agency is solid, no qualms there, although I doubt NE lets Vollmer leave without tagging him.

With the addition of Idonije, DE is the least of our needs, especially with Babin, Graham, Hunt, Cole, and Curry in the fold as well. Also, Idonije is a DE, not a DT. We could go with literally 6 other positions before I even look at DE.

Porter is a solid pick.

I literally said who at your 3rd rounder. Pretty turrible.

The rest of the draft looks pretty standard I guess.

I'm personally not a fan of a lot of the moves made, then again if Reid is retained its realistic and I would likely disagree with it so if thats what you were going for, then success I guess.
ninjapirate

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone is so quick to switch to Andy calling plays like that will switch things at one point in time we were trying to get Andy to give up that duty to his O Coordinators. It's completely broken there are no fixes in this case.

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Small d = pastry
marky_b27

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Phire, don't like, don't like it at all.

Another DE he's just going to ride the bench like Curry is doing all year

Location: "Are you hungry, child?" Yes, she thought, but not for food.
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idonje isn't a very good fit as a DE in the wide 9.

Both Vollmer and Byrd is doubtful to leave, but anything can happen.

No way Andy fires Marty.

Hammertime52 wrote:
I laughed way too hard at this Laughing they talked about the Dane like Robert Downey Jr talked about The Hulk in The Avengers

"We have the Dallas forum"
"We have a Dane"
marky_b27

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing to point out. If Marty does get fired and Andy stays. then I would bet that Andy would pursue James Urban (current WR coach of Cincinnati). He was with us for a number of years getting up to QB coach.

He was promoted to assistant offensive coordinator (one expects this was to prepare him if/when Marty got another HC job), but then decided to move onto Cincinnati as WR coach instead (maybe he felt that was the better option to become an OC)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would legitly hate this off season

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: