Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Raider Watch Mock Draft (Sept.) V.2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baggabonez

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:46 pm    Post subject: Raider Watch Mock Draft (Sept.) V.2 Reply with quote

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 2013 Oakland Raiders ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Free Agency

• AZ NT Dan Williams 6’3” 327lbs 40:5.19 (26)

This former 1st rounder has not endeared himself with fitness obsessed HC Whisenhunt. So far Whisenhunt has chased heavy weighters NT Gabe Watson, NT Alan Branch & OG Duece Lutui out of town. Some of these girthy guys have gone on to find success with other teams that view their solid base as an asset. Because of his “fitness issues” Williams has yet to crack the starting lineup, although he is expected to assume the starting role this season. However, Whisenhunt seems to prefer the more fit former UCLA DT David Carter. Due $910K in 2013, Williams could be jettisoned for the more chiseled, less expensive Carter.

ProFootballFocus on Whisenhunt wrote:
In other respects, however, you can’t help but feel they were trying too hard to make a point. The end result being: they kept one of their best players off the field.

ProFootballFocus on Dan Williams wrote:

True Nose Tackle
Being honest about Williams, he’s not great at getting up field. He had 149 opportunities to rush the quarterback that resulted in only one hit and two hurries. That’s woeful (though the slightest hair better than Bryan Robinson’s lone QB hit on 151 pass rushes.)
Taking the above and seeing that he earned a cumulative positive grade from us will give a sense of how good he was in run defense. So good, in fact, that he ended with the 11th-highest run-stopping grade of all defensive tackles, and fourth-best among 3-4 nose tackles. Quite remarkable, especially given he only played 387 snaps.
So, just what is it that makes him as impressive as he is in run defense? He has a fantastic ability to beat centers en route to making plays on the ball carrier. That skill earned him 22 defensive stops–only Oakland’s John Henderson finished with more while playing fewer snaps. But it isn’t just the numbers that were impressive, it was also who he was doing it against.

• PHI OT King Dunlap 6’8” 330lbs (27)

Dunlap is an imposing figure who has worked his way up the depth chart to beat out free agent acquisition Demetrius Bell for the LT position. In 2013 Dunlap becomes a free agent and the historically frugal Eagles may choose to let Dunlap walk.

• JAX QB Jordan Palmer 6’6” 231lbs (29)

Jordan Palmer was signed in Cincinnati as a FA as a celebratory gift to Carson and was unceremoniously jettisoned after the trade. Last season Jordan was able to catch on in Jacksonville as the 3rd string QB on a one-year contract. I predict Leinart will either be traded during the season or will generate enough interest after the season to garner a starting position. Next season the Raiders will be looking for another veteran backup that can Palmer can bounce ideas and concepts off of rather than promote a raw prospect and Jordan, who has assumed that role for his brother before, will be looking for work.

• CIN LB Manny Lawson 6’5” 240lbs (29)

Manny Lawson will be a FA OLB who experienced his best statistical years in SF with Traver as his LB coach. At somepoint Traver will want to install the system he is most familiar with. After playing in a 4-3 system not suited to his strengths he should present a value buy opportunity.

NFL Draft
NFL Draft Overview:
The Raiders need to get younger, clear space under the cap & acquire draft picks. McKenzie will accomplish all this by cleaning up the roster. In addition, I expect Mckenzie to take a long-term, value approach to the draft.

Round One, #17th Overall
• Dee Milliner l CB l Alabama l ht: 6’1” l wt: 198lbs l 40: 4.36

HC Dennis Allen is a secondary guru and defensive minded leader and cornerback is one of the most pressing weaknesses of the roster. With an aging, fragile secondary all on one-year contracts it’s an area that must be addressed. Hopefully the Raiders will decide to build the secondary around a young physical talent as there will be a number of options in 2013. Amerson, Milliner, Rhodes, Banks or Byndom are all excellent options. With opponents like Manning, Rivers and possibly Barkley all in conference the Raiders would be wise to make the secondary a strength if they wish to compete in the long-term.

Positives:
• Extensive Man Experience
• Performance against elite competition
• Athleticism
Negatives:
• Zone
• Ball Skills
Reminiscent of: Buffalo CB Stephon Gilmore
2013 Outlook: Starting RCB

Round Two, #49th Overall
• Traded to Cincinnati as part of the 2012 Carson Palmer trade

Round Three, #81st Overall
• Aaron Dobson l WR l Marshall l ht: 6’2” l wt: 204lbs l 40: 4.49

Many will be surprised as the Raiders go BPA and continue to surround Palmer with weapons as the organization continues its transition into a new WR corps. Ford and Moore have yet to display durability and seem miscast in a WCO. Dobson has excellent hands as well as size/speed ratio. Dobson is the taller WR that Palmer prefers that has a large reception wheelhouse and makes ridiculous acrobatic cacthes.

Strengths:
• Agility
• Athleticism
• Size/Speed Ratio
• Acrobatic Catches
Weaknesses:
• Competition Level?
• Production
Reminiscent of: TEN WR Kenny Britt
2013 Outlook: WR3

Round 4, #113th Overall
• Cornelius Washington l OLB/DE l Georgia l ht: 6’4” l wt: 268lbs l 40: 4.68

Imo, eventually Traver will want to install the 34 front that he is most familiar with. The acquisition of FA Manny Lawson, who has his best statistical seasons under Traver, and rookie Washington will set the edges. Washington is a 4th rounder because despite his prototypical stats have failed to translate into elite production. However, Washington has the upside to be a much better pro than collegian, on the low side Washington becomes a solid contributor. Washington uses his hands well and is stout at the point of attack.

Strengths:
• Athleticism
• Speed
Weaknesses:
• Lack of Production
• Coverage
2012 Outlook: Starting SOLB

Round 5, #145th Overall
• Gabe Jackson l OG l Miss St. l ht: 6’4” l wt: 320lbs l 40: 5.14

Excellent highly underrated ZBS LG! Nuff said! Bergstrom played RT in college and may be struggling to make the switch to the left after struggling to beat out journeyman Carlisle. By adding Jackson the loser of this competition becomes a quality addition to the depth of the OL as the swing OG.

Positives:
• Athleticism
• Performance against elite competition
Negatives:
• Aggression & Physicality
• Explosion
2013 Outlook: OG Depth

Round 6, #177th Overall
• Jake Stoneburner l TE l OSU l ht: 6’5” l wt: 245lbs l 40: 4.78

Pressed against the cap and limited with few draft picks, new GM McKenzie could not realistically address every area of weakness on the roster. TE is a sore spot that we reveal itself as the season progresses and I fully expect McKenzie to address it similar to the way he addressed the gaping hole at NT. Razz

Entering 2012 Stoneburner was a highly rated TE. However, soon after acquiring HC Urban Meyer, fresh off of criticisms of being lax on discipline, Meyer revoked Stoneburner’s scholarship for the summer for being arrested for public urination. In addition to being suspended, Meyer went out and recruited a much heralded freshman crop that included a blue chip TE forcing Stoneburner to return as a WR. My guess is that Stoneburner knows the writing is on the wall for him to be phased out and he will turn pro while his stock is still draft worthy.

Positives:
• Athleticism
• Converted WR
• Route Running
• Frame to Carry More Weight
Negatives:
• Blocking
Reminiscent of: GB TE JerMichael Finley
2013 Outlook: TE depth

Round 7, #199th Overall (via Carolina)
• Marcus Coker l RB/FB l Stone Brook (via Iowa) l ht: 5’11” l wt: 230lbs l 40: 4.59

Coker is a bruising runner who transferred to Stony Brook from Iowa amid sexual assault accusations that were later dropped. Feeling abandon during the investigation Coker decided to leave the program and transfer to a program much closer to home to get the support he needed as he finishes out his career. It should be noted that this bulldozer has a history of fumbling problems.

Positives:
• Stiff Arm
• Yardage after contact
Negatives:
• Fumbling
Reminiscent of: Former TB RB Mike Alstott
2013 Outlook: RB Depth

Round 7, #209th Overall
• Spencer Benton l K/P l Clemson l ht: 6’1” l wt:195lbs l 40: 4.76

Recently broke an ACC record for the longest FG with a 61 yd boot vs. Ball State.

Positives:
• Distance
• Kicks & Punts
Negatives:
• Experience
2013 Outlook: Kicking Depth

UDFA

• Devon Kennard l DE/OLB l Southern Cal l ht: 6’3” l wt: 250lbs l 40: 4.72

Kennard has been the victim of misfortune. In 2011, Kennard under performed as he played out of position at MLB. This season Kennard seemed primed to break out as he was switched back to his more natural position of DE when he tore a pectoral muscle in the weightroom. Having an unspectacular collegiate resume, Kennard could very likely go undrafted in 2013.

• Jordan Rodgers l QB l Vanderbuilt l ht: 6’1” l wt:212lbs l 40: 4.62

McKenzie maintains ties with the Rodgers family by bringing in Aaron’s younger brother.

• Rodney Smith l WR l Florida State l ht: 6’5” l wt: 219lbs l 40: 4.67

Smith is a long distance threat who currently boasts a 27 game catch streak.
lilcrazycat1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

please no WR round 3. WR really isnt a huge need
NickButera

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, our 5th round pick in 2013 was apart of the Aaron Curry trade. However I believe it was partly conditional. It should be effected somehow by his lack of playing half the season.

Regardless, you should probably include some mention of it in your mock drafts as it could effect who we pick/don't pick earlier or later on.

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be.
Rolni

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1st, It way too early for this stuff IMO

2nd, We probably won't have a 5th rounder, because of Curry

3rd, You say nothing about our own FA's...who you bring back etc...with huge amount of FA's it's crucial IMO

4th, I don't like your FA signings at all...
Right now our run D looks solid, so we don't need to give big bucks to a not too shiny NT.
If Dunlap leaves Philly it will be for a big deal and since we have our LT this makes very little sense to me.
J. Palmer is nothing but a 3rd QB. Keep Leinart instead.
Lawson...I would keep Wheeler around instead of him as of right now. Burris seems like a good WLB for the future. If McClain get's suspended or\and jail time we will need MLB not OLB anyway...

5th, draft
I like the first pick...right now CB is the biggest issue IMO.
In the 3rd I wouldn't touch WR with Moore, DHB, Ford, Streater and Criner. I would go for pass rush. DE or OLB.
4th-UDFA is impossible to call right now IMO, since we don't know how our back up RB's, OL, how our TE's play...
TiberiusRising

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am kind of liking Barrett Jones with our first pick. Can play OC/OG/OT. Good run blocker and pass protector. Solidify this OL. It will help whoever is under center. I think W. Smith will push Barnes for starting job at RT. So Jones, Wiz, Bergstrom can all compete for interior line jobs and we have solid backups.
ZoomWaffle

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You think Leinart will get interest as a starter after this season???

Silver&Black88 on the sig

La_Vader wrote:
I wouldn't trade Pryor for any prospect in this years draft. Quote me on that
TiberiusRising

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZoomWaffle wrote:

I do not. But just saying whether Carson is in, a backup, or even Pryor eventually down the line solidifying the OL will always be a priority. This guy gives great flexability all across the line and gives us an extra roster spot to use somewhere else.
ZoomWaffle

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TiberiusRising wrote:
ZoomWaffle wrote:

I do not. But just saying whether Carson is in, a backup, or even Pryor eventually down the line solidifying the OL will always be a priority. This guy gives great flexability all across the line and gives us an extra roster spot to use somewhere else.

Oh, I wasnt replying to you... Baggabones said that we should sign Jordan Palmer because he can see Leinart generating enough interest to garner consideration as a starter elsewhere.

For the record I completely agree with you. Offensive and defensive lines always have room for improvement and you can never have enough depth. Protecting the QB and pressuring the QB are the two most important things in my opinion.

Silver&Black88 on the sig

La_Vader wrote:
I wouldn't trade Pryor for any prospect in this years draft. Quote me on that
TiberiusRising

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZoomWaffle wrote:
TiberiusRising wrote:
ZoomWaffle wrote:

Oh, I wasnt replying to you... Baggabones said that we should sign Jordan Palmer because he can see Leinart generating enough interest to garner consideration as a starter elsewhere.

For the record I completely agree with you. Offensive and defensive lines always have room for improvement and you can never have enough depth. Protecting the QB and pressuring the QB are the two most important things in my opinion.

I gotcha.
silver_surfer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lets see here

This is what I would do rough draft Shocked

I'll just focus in on starters and key reserves since it's so early

Let these FAs walk
Mike Mitchell
Giodarno
Barnes
Spencer
Cooper
Barnes

Bring Back
Wheeler
Bartell
Shaugnessy
Bryant
Reece
Possibly cut these two big names for cap space
Carson Palmer and Richard Seymour and Tommy Kelly if he keeps making dumb penalties

I would also convert Lamar Houston to UT
More then likely Palmer will be back so starters going into the year
Palmer, McFadden, Reece, Moore, Heyward Bey, Valdheer, Bergstorm, Wiz, Brisel

that leaves holes at TE, RT
I expect Bergstorm to emerge at some point

Defense Starters
Shaugnessy ? ? Houston Wheeler Burris/Curry McClain Bartell Branch Huff

That will leave us with holes at CB, NT, DE
We could keep Kelly or bring in Dan Williams to solve our NT void

so that leaves us with TE, RT, CB, DE(edge rusher)

FA
DE Michael Johnson Cincy - is a beast against the run, explosive first step.. Bengals have alot of quality DE so he might walk

RT- Sam Baker or Ryan Clady both in the primes in their career, would be our big FA pick up. I'm ready to give up on Barksdale, we should try him at guard

DT
Tommy Kelly or Alan Branch or Ron Brace, more likely bring Kelly back as the vet

Draft
I really like the German from Florida State, if he is on the board I might get him at DE or Jarvis Jones , dt star,

however this is the year of the corner, alot of big good corners
anyone of these guys would be great
Milliner, Amerson bad guy but i still like him, Banks, Byndom, Rhodes

My choice
Banks CB - has been great in the SEC, size and speed

rest of the draft
3-7 4 picks
probably lose one with curry and gain one with Bush

Look for Impact TE in the 3rd
Josh Boyett in the 4th- Safety depth, qb on the field!
just get depth rest of the draft

7th Phillip Thomas SS- is a gem, could be a starter from a small school
Picks 5-6
OL, RB, CB, LB
Baggabonez

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolni wrote:
1st, It way too early for this stuff IMO

2nd, We probably won't have a 5th rounder, because of Curry

3rd, You say nothing about our own FA's...who you bring back etc...with huge amount of FA's it's crucial IMO

4th, I don't like your FA signings at all...
Right now our run D looks solid, so we don't need to give big bucks to a not too shiny NT.
If Dunlap leaves Philly it will be for a big deal and since we have our LT this makes very little sense to me.
J. Palmer is nothing but a 3rd QB. Keep Leinart instead.
Lawson...I would keep Wheeler around instead of him as of right now. Burris seems like a good WLB for the future. If McClain get's suspended or\and jail time we will need MLB not OLB anyway...

5th, draft
I like the first pick...right now CB is the biggest issue IMO.
In the 3rd I wouldn't touch WR with Moore, DHB, Ford, Streater and Criner. I would go for pass rush. DE or OLB.
4th-UDFA is impossible to call right now IMO, since we don't know how our back up RB's, OL, how our TE's play...

Thanks for the responses! You're right it is WAY too early for mock drafts. However, 1) As I am always researching college players it drives me nuts if I don't periodically don't just post it and get it out of my system. 2) I love to be turned on to players that I might not be aware of and I hope that somehow I accomplish the same.

I believe the Raiders will have a 5th ( because of Curry).

You got me. i tried to sneak by not mentioning who I would cut. People get caught up in that and it takes away from the mock. Either Seymour OR TK must go imo if for no other reason it's too much $ tied up in the same player, but I'm so tired of getting my head beat in over TK. Maybe not so much now after Monday night.

OFFENSE
WR – Moore, Dobson , Ford
TE – Stoneburner , Meyer, Gordon
RT – Dunlap , Barnes
RG – Brisiel, Nix
OC – Wisniewski
LG –Bergstrom, Jackson
LT – Veldheer, Smith
WR – DHB, Streater, Criner
RB – DMC, Coker , Jones
FB – Reece
QB – Palmer, Palmer , Pryor

DEFENSE
RCB – Milliner , Adams, Chekwa
SOLB –Jenkins, Kennard, Burnett
RDE - Seymour, Bilukidi
NT - Williams
LDE - Houston, Bryant
WOLB - Lawson, Ihenacho, Tollefson
LCB - Bartell, Lee, Hanson
ILB – Wheeler, Goethel
ILB - McClain, Burris
SS – Branch, Mitchell
FS – Huff, Giordano

SPECIAL TEAMS
K – Janikowski
P – King
LS – Condo

Free Agency: I like McKenzie's value approach to free agency. NT Dan Williams played VERY well last week. I watched every snap via NFL Game Rewind. He's just a pass rusher. After seeing how the LBs performed when the DL actually does it job (and when it doesn't) I would think we'd have a greater appreciation of a true NT.

Phi ain't gunna pay Dunlap. They always have so many draft picks they will replace him. Imo, Dunlap won't garner elite LT $ on the free market basically he's been a career swing tackle. At the end of the day I think he'll take starters money at RT. In addition, by addressing the pressing need of RT in FA it frees up a draft pick.

Jordan P, Leinart. Leinart, JP. I'll give you that one but I think McKenzie isn't going to give Leinart a raise and he could be better compensated elsewhere as QB2.

By nature I'm a proponent of the 43, however I think Traver will find success this season and build up enough trust with the FO to completely install the front he is most familiar with. Although Burris had one good game and we are all ready to anoint him the next Cushing, ultimately I would retain Wheeler and kick him inside. Burris & Goethel would form rock solid depth inside.

Draft: Honestly ask yourself are Moore and Ford physically and mentally suited for the WCO. Neither has shown the ability to stay healthy in their short careers. If similiar injuries were to occur next season you'd feel very fortunate that Dobson was on the roster.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: