Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Vikes defense under Alan Williams
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 25, 26, 27  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Klomp

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kellerman wrote:
Klomp wrote:
True, but I think the run defense yesterday looked better than it did all last year.

I think it's a case of where you get on the upswing, and suddenly everything starts rolling your way. Kevin Williams not hampered by nagging injuries, Brinkley, Erin Henderson with a year under his belt, Guys like Raymond tackling better, the DB's more confident in coverage. It's a team process after all.

Alan Williams plays his part, but to me the most credit has to be to the players on the field.

You have a point. However, it's not like Williams has no impact.
PurpleMugen

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klomp wrote:
Kellerman wrote:
Klomp wrote:
True, but I think the run defense yesterday looked better than it did all last year.

I think it's a case of where you get on the upswing, and suddenly everything starts rolling your way. Kevin Williams not hampered by nagging injuries, Brinkley, Erin Henderson with a year under his belt, Guys like Raymond tackling better, the DB's more confident in coverage. It's a team process after all.

Alan Williams plays his part, but to me the most credit has to be to the players on the field.

You have a point. However, it's not like Williams has no impact.

I think he has stated that.

Peppers90 on the sig.
Klomp

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I was wrong. Frazier basically said in his press conference Wednesday that the different looks were due to simply having better players back there.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klomp wrote:
Well I was wrong. Frazier basically said in his press conference Wednesday that the different looks were due to simply having better players back there.

Right, the more talent you have in the back four, the less you have to have four guys back in coverage. Running Cover 3 has its benefits, but against any elite passing team or elite QB, the Vikes better be in Cover 2 and sell out to stop the pass. For a team like the Jags, it makes perfect sense to go Cover 3 and get an extra guy in there (Harrison Smith) for the running game.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Breaking_down_the_tape_from_the_Vikings_loss_to_the_Colts091812

Jared Allen had 65 snaps, Robison had 61 snaps and Griffen had 36 snaps. Griffen got much more playing time against Indy than he did against Jax, and got a sack for his record. Conclusion. Play Griffen more! Let him be the nickel LE and move Robison inside to DT.

For those who knock Letroy Guion, he only played 31 snaps. Evans had 8 and Ballard had 13. Kevin williams had 49 snaps. There was a greater amount of rotation amongst the DTs, but still, very little pressure up front.

For all those who harp on MLB play, specifically Jasper Brinkley, he only played 27 snaps. Erin Henderson was a beast in run support and had himself a sack.

Same issue as last week with the secondary and LBs they are simply unable to create turnovers in the form of Ints. One plus from the LB play is that Greenway had 3 pressures and Henderson had a sack. It seems MN is blitzing its LBs at a moderate rate.

Breakdown of nickel CB vs third LB:

Josh Robinson 40 snaps
Jasper Brinkley 27 snaps

Interesting note:

Quote:
Smith or Raymond was down on 32 snaps (47.8%) as the Vikings continued to mix in single-high looks liberally.

A little bit more Cover 2 than last week, but still, the Vikes have been showing a lot of single deep safety looks.

Quote:
FS Harrison Smith (67) hesitated on Wayne's touchdown, too, but it's Henderson's play to make and SS Mistral Raymond (63) probably was closer anyway.

First real costly mistake of the season from the Safetys, giving up that TD to Wayne.

So far, the Vikes are really a Cover 2 team 50-70% of the time so far based upon how the Safetys have been played.
The Gnat

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ And that first real costly mistake by the safeties was more on Erin Henderson than the safeties. Henderson continues to get depth like he should, Luck has to put the pass higher over him, giving the safeties more time to converge, or Henderson gets back deep enough and obstructs Reggie Wayne's view.

PrplChilPill

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a fan of starting 8 yard off the line and backpedaling on the snap. Until that stops, it will not matter how good the players are.
Sloppy28

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrplChilPill wrote:
Not a fan of starting 8 yard off the line and backpedaling on the snap. Until that stops, it will not matter how good the players are.

Agreed. While I am not a fan of playing cover 2 as much as we do because it can be picked apart so easily at times it seems, it can be effective. Look at Atlanta last night when they played cover 2.. they SHOWED blitz and disguised their coverage and it was very effective. Our coaches are too dull and soft with the plays..

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have noticed that the Vikes are blitzing its OLBs more.

I mean look at Erin Henderson's stat lines after two games: 22 tackles and 2 sacks. That is phenomenal. He hasnt been great in coverage, but the guy has been used quite well as a blitzer.

Even Chad Greenway has a number of hurries.

I wonder if MN is bltizing its LBs more because the pass rush by the front 4 has not been sufficient or are we witnessing more of a scheme change. I mean, the team is running a lot more Cover 3 than in years past and is blitzing noticeably more.
Vikefan79

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
I have noticed that the Vikes are blitzing its OLBs more.

I mean look at Erin Henderson's stat lines after two games: 22 tackles and 2 sacks. That is phenomenal. He hasnt been great in coverage, but the guy has been used quite well as a blitzer.

Even Chad Greenway has a number of hurries.

I wonder if MN is bltizing its LBs more because the pass rush by the front 4 has not been sufficient or are we witnessing more of a scheme change. I mean, the team is running a lot more Cover 3 than in years past and is blitzing noticeably more.

Erin is playing himself right into a multi year contract.
PrplChilPill

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small blitzes tend to give up more big plays than they prevent, statistically. If they cannot get pressure with four, these dbs are not good enough to stop completions.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrplChilPill wrote:
Small blitzes tend to give up more big plays than they prevent, statistically. If they cannot get pressure with four, these dbs are not good enough to stop completions.

Its not just the Vikes DBs. Its across the league. There is no secondary currently in the NFL that can stop a passing offense if there is no pressure by the front 4 or an extra blitzer.

If you give a QB time in the pocket, they will pick apart any secondary.
Purple-Pride07

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It must be said - while we do have key pieces sprayed all around the front 7, our overall defense is a shell of what it was in the 2007, 2008, or even 2009 years in terms of execution and being accountable for defensive assignments. There's talent, but it's not as tight nit as it used to be. If Alan Williams were to have any sort of team-defense success this year I'd say it was not fluke. Sure we still have Chad Greenway and Kevin Williams up front, but the run defense is still suspect at times; we're not all really accustomed to that. The pass defense speaks for itself - the proof is in the pudding how inconsistent and weak we can be against strong aerial teams.

"When a team outgrows individual performance and learns team confidence, excellence becomes a reality."
--Joe Paterno.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, several players have atleast 2 sacks:

Allen, Henderson, Greenway, Guion, and Griffen.

The Vikes arent solely relying on Allen for pressure. Robison has yet to record a sack Confused

Quote:
Determined to prevent the big play, the Vikings played deep zones most of the day and rushed four an incredible 54 times in QB Matthew Stafford's 59 dropbacks (91.5%).

As suspected, the Vikes rarely blitzed but still got adequate pressure.

Quote:
If MLB Jasper Brinkley (76 snaps) keeps playing like this, the Vikings may have a decision to make about the nickel mike once Erin Henderson is healthy. Granted, Brinkley was in deep drops most of the day as part of the Vikings' plan for making the Lions throw underneath.

I made the observation that Brinkley seemed like a better nickel MLB than Henderson, maybe the Vikings will stick with Brinkley as a three down LB rather than Henderson.

Breakdown of third LB vs third CB

Marvin Mitchell (10 snaps)
Josh Robinson (58 snaps)

Clearly, the Vikes basically ran nickel package all game long and it worked. Nickel should be the new base defense. Frankly, in this league, I have no clue why nickel isnt the base package for most teams, you just have to find a reliable nickel CB who can stuff out the run and MN has that in Winfield.

Quote:
The tone was set. Smith also played a post to Johnson perfectly for another break-up and slammed into the line with his blitz to set up Griffen's red-zone sack. He was in the box on the first play when SS Jamarca Sanford (7Cool got flagged for a 56-yard interference penalty. DC Alan Williams didn't press his luck again, playing tons of two- and three-deep coverages rolled Johnson's way.

Sanford had that costly penalty early but he seemed to play better in deep halves.

Quote:
Stafford connected with him (Calvin Johnson) only five times in 12 targets for 54 yards, none longer than 19.

The Vikes roughed Johnson up a lot, and played physical with him. It was a bold move that worked wonderfully.

Quote:
The Vikings kept dropping Cook into a deep third as an extra safety in longer passing situations, but he held up fine covering off the line, too -- smothering WR Titus Young in man coverage on third-and-5 and carrying Burleson deep on a "go" ball late.

Cook as an extra Safety? There is some scheme diversity we've been looking for.
milanb

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another interesting stat: the Vikings are 9th in the NFL in defence and 7th in scoring defence.

Which is impressive given that the bulk of the money and premium draft choices are on the other side of the ball, where the Vikings are 21st in offence and 17th in scoring.

At a certain point you have to start giving credit to Leslie Frazier and Alan Williams for getting this defence to play at this level.

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong. — Ecclesiastes 9:11

But that’s the way to bet. — Jimmy The Greek

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 2 of 27

Jump to: