Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Vikes defense under Alan Williams
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 26, 27, 28  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GoneWithTheWind

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The defense was terrific yesterday. They maintained gaps and finished, Made plays to help the offense stay in good situations. The defense certainly had it's part in establishing momentum early in the game, they need to play this way vs the Bears

Shoutout to JTagg7754 on the sig!

Bring Melvin Gordon to Minnesota.
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greenway leads the NFL in tackles with 100. Winfield leads all cornerbacks in tackles with 74.

http://min.scout.com/2/1240575.html

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
Krauser

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a really interesting thread to read from beginning to end. Too bad it petered out.

Summarize the Vikings pass D in 2012:

Games 1-5: huge improvement from 2011's disaster. Gabbert and Luck did OK (and both had huge last minute drives), Alex Smith and Hasselbeck got shut down, Stafford couldn't get the ball downfield

Game 6: Cook has a terrible game, play-action to in-breaking routes kills us on 3rd down, RG3 runs wild

Game 7: back on track at home against Arizona. Skelton's numbers are OK but inflated by an 80 yard TD drive in garbage time.

Game 8: Cook gets injured just after halftime (not that things were going well at that point already). Next play is a 64 yard TD. Freeman torches us at home.

Games 9-14: AJ Jefferson has to start, and the wheels fall off. Wilson throws for 3 TDs. Stafford throws for 3 TDs (and Calvin gets 204 yards receiving, vs 54 the first game). Rodgers goes 27/34. Bradford throws for 377.

Game 15: Cook's back. Winfield breaks his hand but plays most of the game. Schaub gets only 178 yards on 32 attempts, no TDs.

Game 16: Cook plays, hardly challenged. Winfield plays the first half, as Rodgers and co get only a handful of first downs and 10 points. Pain and swelling force Winfield to the sideline at halftime: Packers score 24 in the 2nd half.

Sum that up:

-- Cook and Winfield together: Several great games (Texans, Niners, first Lions game, Titans, first half of the home win against the Packers), a couple of decent games (Cards, Jags), one mediocre game (Colts) and one terrible game (Redskins)

-- Cook out. Jefferson overmatched. Only half-decent game was @Bears, because Cutler didn't have to throw to win. Everything else was from bad to worse.

--Winfield out. 2nd half of Packers game, night and day compared to the first. Sherels clearly didn't belong on the field. Cook played but Rodgers hardly ever threw at him (made only 1 tackle)

This is why Cook & Winfield were ranked as the 2nd best CB pairing in the league last year, by PFF.

Stats from the year as a whole:

opponents passer rating against: 92.9 (26th in the league).
compare to 2011: 107.6 (worst)
benchmark 10th best in the league: Cincinnati 80.8 (10th)

I'd estimate they went from 80-85 in the first half of the year, definitely top half in the league, to >100 when Cook or Winfield were out.

Reviewing this, there's a strong case to make that Chris Cook was our defensive MVP last year, even without an INT.

There's also a case to be made that losing Winfield was a big deal. The mitigating factor was that we didn't get to see what would happen if he was replaced on purpose by someone who belongs in the league (like JRob) instead of Sherels. I'd point out that Winfield absolutely wasn't enough to hold the ship above water with Cook out of the lineup.

And you can see why, once Winfield signed with the Seahawks, the Vikings absolutely had to draft Xavier Rhodes, who would've been their first pick if Floyd hadn't dropped.
Purplexing

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job with the stats and details ^, Krauser! Applause

The stats on QB passer rating for the QBs the Vikings faced in each game could be assembled and simple avgs could be calculated to see the impacts of losing Cook and Winfield to injuries last year.

The impact of the DL on the QBs the Vikings faced is also part of the opposing QBs' passer ratings.

The point is not lost, however, that the absence of Cook has a greater negative impact on the Vikings pass D than Winfield. So, we can see why Winfield was let go and Rhodes was drafted.

Now that the secondary is (close to being) solid/ good, with the addition of Rhodes and a few LBs who have good cover skills, Spielman should focus on DL in the 2014 off season.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ the focus on defense should still be at LB, until proven otherwise.

I dont have any faith that Erin Henderson or Michael Mauti emerge as a viable long-term MLB.

I like Hodges upside at WLB, or possibly MLB if they consider moving.

We frankly dont know how this group will perform, but i am thinking that MLB, DE, or DT are probably the top defensive needs.

i do like the Cook, Robinson and Rhodes trio and Smith and Sanford are a good enough safety tandem until more needs are addressed.
CriminalMind

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:

i do like the Cook, Robinson and Rhodes trio and Smith and Sanford are a good enough safety tandem until more needs are addressed.

I very much like these 5 players. With Robinson being slot CB & Jefferson being dime.
Rhodes/Cook starting & Smith/Sanford is a good pairing.

I dont think Marcus Sherels has a spot on the 53 if Patterson can carry the KO/PR duties. I certaintly dont want to see Sherels on defense.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

id prefer Jacob Lacey over Sherels at this point.

He kinds of reminds me of when Tim Jennings signed with the Bears. Both Lacey and Jennings were zone CBs from Indy, werent valued highly but both had a lot of starting experience. Both teams got these players for bargains. I think Lacey could emerge as the #5 CB.
Krauser

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.dailynorseman.com/2013/5/16/4316146/should-the-vikings-switch-to-the-wide-9

^^ super-long, very interesting analysis of the possibilities of switching up the DT gap responsibilities in order to maximize the value of playing 2 UTs (Floyd and KWill, later Floyd and Dawkins maybe) at once. Argues for a half-wide-9 formation with KWill at 3, Floyd at 2 playing one gap, Robison / Griffen at wide 9 DE and Allen at his usual 5 position on the other side. Supports the plan with changes to back 7 coverage responsibilities against run and pass, including changing LB responsibilities, using CBs for press coverage, bringing Sanford/SS up to make 4-4 and 5-2 formations, and letting Harrison Smith play a deep freelancing role at FS

Worth a skim at least.
CriminalMind

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many things I agree with this article.

-Guion was terrible, ranked at the bottom, and indirectly allowed the QB to have more time then he should have had.
-Floyd + K-Williams will likely be our best DTs combination
-Dawkins I felt should have been selected earlier in the draft, and is a good future talent (which is why I want him on the 53)
-I have always been on board with 2 pass attacking DTs in a 4-3.
-Quicker time to get to the QB, and you can even play Griffen even more.
-LBs would attack to add support to stop runs up the middle

Coles Notes -- he proposes this Front 4 Formation
Keep Allen a bit closer, to maximize his outside and inside moves ability.
Have Robison split out wide to maximize his speed.
Floyd positions himself as 2-Tech but goes either gap to confuse blockers and add additional run support.
Based on where Floyd / Allen go, the LBs need to read it, and support the other gap.
Call for instincitive LBs (Chad/Erin) over combine speed warriors LBs
CBs (Cook/Rhodes) switch to press/man coverage.

How does a team Beat this?
Simple answer a) pass less and run the ball more, which puts more pressure on our LBs. Question is would teams do this? Its a pass happy league, so I think team will stick to that. b) Be successful throwing over the top +20 yards vs Cook/Rhodes. But does time expire (sack/throw away/etc) before a jab at the line by Cook/Rhodes coupled with a WR running 15-20 yards flanked by the CBs?

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhodes profiles as a press corner, thanks to his size (6-1, 210) and 33-inch arms, and defensive backs coach Joe Woods said last month he believes the addition could allow the Vikings to become more aggressive with mixing in man coverage.

"I definitely know we're going to play a lot more press coverage, because we have two big guys on the outside now," Cook said. "Coach (Leslie) Frazier likes those type of guys on the outside. Everybody seems to like bigger guys on the outside now, and it's because of the big receivers now."

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Chris_Cooks_advice_to_rookie_on_top_wideouts_Let_me_handle_them051913

People were initially skeptical about the Williams hire because we thought we were tied to the Cover 2. Maybe not...
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could see some elements of the Cover or Tampa 2 being applied, such as playing two deep Safetys, which almost always means you have to have a MLB trailing in between the field to cover that exposes zone.

You can run press-man and still run heavy two deep Safetys look, which is what I expect.
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be nice to run a base 2-man.
JDBrocks

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not necessarily about Williams, but this Defense has 6 starters that were drafted in the first 2 rounds, and all but one of the projected starters were drafted by the Vikings.

By my count, 18 of the 22 starters were drafted by the Vikings, plus Walsh and Locke. It's great to see the team building schemes around home grown talent.

Josh Ritter wrote:
I became a thin blue wire, that held the world above the fire
Krauser

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
By my count, 18 of the 22 starters were drafted by the Vikings, plus Walsh and Locke. It's great to see the team building schemes around home grown talent.

Yes, absolutely. Jennings, Allen, Felton and CJohnson are the only starters who've played on other teams (Erin Henderson was UDFA, technically not drafted), assuming Patterson starts ahead of Simpson, and Floyd or someone else starts ahead of Evans. We might see a FA MLB added yet, but I'd bet against that.

I've got a half-written post about the huge difference between the current team and the last improving Vikings team, the 2006-09 edition, which was built around major free agent signings (and the trade for Jared Allen) and consequently had a narrow "window" that closed abruptly in 2010. I think many fans are finding it hard to wait for the current team to improve because it's been so long since the Vikings took such a patient approach to team building. But that's the way the best organizations remain competitive year after year.
Vikefan79

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love reading your posts Krauser! I hope you're here to stay.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Page 8 of 28

Jump to: