Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Vikes defense under Alan Williams
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Vikefan79


Joined: 05 Apr 2005
Posts: 29761
Location: Atlanta
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
The defense, led by Alan Williams, is the backbone of this team. Clearly.


I just hope he isn't hired away like every other good coordinator we get.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Purple-Pride07


Joined: 08 Dec 2006
Posts: 17334
Location: Right Behind You
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
Anyone who watched the Vikings slog through the 2010 and 2011 seasons can see this group is playing with more confidence and aggressiveness, especially in contesting passes. Unofficially, the Vikings batted down or tipped away 9 of Matt Hasselbeck's 43 throws. They also sacked him twice and hit him five times, unofficially.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/47432/rapid-reaction-vikings-30-titans-7


Christian Ponder's improved efficiency (today may not have been the best example of it) and the pass defense have both equated to our hot start. The secondary has been beyond abysmal the past couple seasons and although we still lack the true playmakers capable of forcing turnovers, there is a base we've clearly established. Harrison Smith is an interesting player because he allows us to do things, based on his skillset, that we've been unable to do in the past. He's got the ability to play a center-field role, which allows us to spread out coverage a little better. Coverage is often a numbers game and in the Cover 2, if you execute assignments, you don't need to Ed Reed or Troy Polamalu to make plays.
_________________


"When a team outgrows individual performance and learns team confidence, excellence becomes a reality."
--Joe Paterno.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Klomp


Joined: 11 Aug 2011
Posts: 7208
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vikefan79 wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
The defense, led by Alan Williams, is the backbone of this team. Clearly.


I just hope he isn't hired away like every other good coordinator we get.


BTW he reminds me more of Tomlin than Frazier in terms of demeanor. Just something to take note of...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vike daddy


Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

Joined: 12 Mar 2005
Posts: 74862
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frazier: "I think Alan and the defensive staff deserve a lot of credit. But our players' willingness to say, 'OK, so this is how we're going to do this, this is what it's going to take for us to be successful' and buying into that. Just can't say enough about their effort and desire to be good. They want to be the best defense in the league."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_21721782/raising-bar-vikings-brimming-confidence-after-dominating-victory
_________________


Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
[UMN]


Joined: 13 Nov 2007
Posts: 13303
Location: Desolation Row
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the defense as a whole is playing so much faster and physical compared to last year. I think Alan Williams is doing a much better job of just letting players play, and putting them in positions to succeed. Definitely an improvement over the last few coordinators (including Leslie).
_________________
From the fool’s gold mouthpiece the hollow horn,
Plays wasted words, proves to warn,
That he not busy being born is busy dying.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kellerman


Joined: 16 May 2010
Posts: 3624
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[UMN] wrote:
the defense as a whole is playing so much faster and physical compared to last year. I think Alan Williams is doing a much better job of just letting players play, and putting them in positions to succeed. Definitely an improvement over the last few coordinators (including Leslie).


It's a different feel for sure. I don't want to undersell Frazier, we had some solid defences under him (particularly 2008/2009), but it's good to now have a real DC that can handle those day-to-day duties, and allow Frazier more of an oversight role.

It also seems the scheme is getting more diverse. No longer are we running that old tampa-2 every other play. More man-coverage, more diverse safety assignments, well-timed blitzes. I like it. Play-calling has been good as well, and an honourable mention goes out to the offense, dominating time of possession, getting us in good field position, and resting the D.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Klomp


Joined: 11 Aug 2011
Posts: 7208
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[UMN] wrote:
the defense as a whole is playing so much faster and physical compared to last year. I think Alan Williams is doing a much better job of just letting players play, and putting them in positions to succeed. Definitely an improvement over the last few coordinators (including Leslie).


Yeah, Williams is reminding me a lot of Tomlin, both in scheme and personality. Lock him up!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Klomp


Joined: 11 Aug 2011
Posts: 7208
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone notice the 46 defense yesterday?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Vikefan79


Joined: 05 Apr 2005
Posts: 29761
Location: Atlanta
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klomp wrote:
Anyone notice the 46 defense yesterday?


Yeah Frazier was in at corner too
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Klomp


Joined: 11 Aug 2011
Posts: 7208
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vikefan79 wrote:
Klomp wrote:
Anyone notice the 46 defense yesterday?


Yeah Frazier was in at corner too


???
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
disaacs


Joined: 13 Dec 2005
Posts: 23118
Location: Brownbackistan
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Williams, thus far, has surpassed my expectations for him.

I speculated he would have been hired as the Vikings' DC before last season (when Frazier was first hired as full-time HC), but still didn't expect a whole lot. He has really surprised me thus far.

Even so, I can't see him being hired away as HC somewhere else for awhile, unlike Tomlin. He does, however, have the potential, if he keeps it up.

Whoever knew that William & Mary produced such good coaches. They've already produced Williams, Tomlin, and Sean McDermott. Not to mention that their HC (whose been there for 32 years) also played QB under Marv Levy and Lou Holtz at W&M.
_________________


Thx to Uncle Buck!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Klomp


Joined: 11 Aug 2011
Posts: 7208
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

disaacs wrote:
Whoever knew that William & Mary produced such good coaches. They've already produced Williams, Tomlin, and Sean McDermott. Not to mention that their HC (whose been there for 32 years) also played QB under Marv Levy and Lou Holtz at W&M.


Didn't realize Williams was another WM alum...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
disaacs


Joined: 13 Dec 2005
Posts: 23118
Location: Brownbackistan
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klomp wrote:
disaacs wrote:
Whoever knew that William & Mary produced such good coaches. They've already produced Williams, Tomlin, and Sean McDermott. Not to mention that their HC (whose been there for 32 years) also played QB under Marv Levy and Lou Holtz at W&M.


Didn't realize Williams was another WM alum...


Yeah...Darren Sharper played there before him, but Williams was a senior RB when Tomlin was a freshman WR.

Other coaches with W&M experience:

SD OC Hal Hunter got his coaching start as OLB coach at W&M in '82

Chiefs OC Brian Daboll got his coaching start as something called a "restricted earnings" coach at W&M in '97

Redskins' ST coach was a W&M assistant from 1980-83
_________________


Thx to Uncle Buck!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
vikingshomer


Joined: 01 Jan 2009
Posts: 2243
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purple-Pride07 wrote:
vike daddy wrote:
Anyone who watched the Vikings slog through the 2010 and 2011 seasons can see this group is playing with more confidence and aggressiveness, especially in contesting passes. Unofficially, the Vikings batted down or tipped away 9 of Matt Hasselbeck's 43 throws. They also sacked him twice and hit him five times, unofficially.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/47432/rapid-reaction-vikings-30-titans-7


Christian Ponder's improved efficiency (today may not have been the best example of it) and the pass defense have both equated to our hot start. The secondary has been beyond abysmal the past couple seasons and although we still lack the true playmakers capable of forcing turnovers, there is a base we've clearly established. Harrison Smith is an interesting player because he allows us to do things, based on his skillset, that we've been unable to do in the past. He's got the ability to play a center-field role, which allows us to spread out coverage a little better. Coverage is often a numbers game and in the Cover 2, if you execute assignments, you don't need to Ed Reed or Troy Polamalu to make plays.

Just to put the improvement of our secondary into perspective, last year quarterbacks averaged a rating of 107.6 against us, this year that has dropped to 84.6.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vikingsrule


Moderator
Joined: 15 Nov 2005
Posts: 48296
Location: Land of 10,000 Lakes!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pass defense has been exceptionally better, but we shall see how long they can keep this level of play up. Still 6 games remaining against the likes of Stafford, Rodgers, Cutler and Schaub.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Page 5 of 28

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group