Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Going East: Arizona Cardinals at New England Patriots
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stchamp98

Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khodder wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:
khodder wrote:
So you acknowledge you are going to punt it. You say you are playing the odds.

Would the odds not state that taking a knee is the best way to go there?

Nah, the punt comment is referring to the drive before.

I think this reads that he wants to get the first down. Otherwise, why consider a pass to Larry (Or, for that matter, a pass at all)?

Quote:
but I thought that would give them, with 30 seconds left, with a good punt, no time outs and that that would be tough against our defense.

Sorry Khodder, missed that one. Looking at the other one.

Well then in that case, Whiz sounds confused as to what to do. Try for the 1st down or keep the clock moving.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stchamp98 wrote:
#1CARDSFAN wrote:
11sanchez11 wrote:
Again only one sack given up, making it two in two games. I know the one sack doesn't truly represent the amount of pressure Kolb was under today but the o-line has played better than expected, at least in pass pro.

Like I said my friend in last weeks thread. These outside tackles will only get better. What happens to Levi Brown?

I highly doubt Batiste gets any better.

Still fair to wonder about Brown's future. He'e essentially on a 1 year deal and even though we've passed on them in previous drafts, a tackle can never be ruled out as a draft day target.

You guys see how well Cordy Glenn has played? Peter King even commented on it in his column - CJ Spiller has run wild - we'll see when they face a stiff run D though. Also way too early to judge Floyd, especially with how Whiz handles rookies - but so far that doesn't look like a great pick.

I like how Massie is coming along so far - would have really liked to see the line come together with Levi though.
Yibbyl

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

love2theOLINE wrote:
DJ_Fka wrote:
khodder wrote:
http://www.azcardinals.com/videos-photos/videos/Cardinals-postgame-press-conference/759ab5ed-cd8f-41d6-87df-746ddaf646d2

Post-Game Presser.

Whis mentions the fumble twice. Not once does he mention what an idiotic playcall it was.

Easier to pass blame than take it

Also he is a head coach and Williams is basically a rookie

While I agree on the call being bad but hindsight is 20/20.......
Williams needs to hang on to the ball.

This lack of taking responsibility can work both ways...If he had said that he should have had Kolb take the knee, he'd be backing his players, gaining their trust. On the other hand, by putting it all on Williams, it will probably encourage Williams to self-motivate to improve his ball security. Further, it sends a message to the rest of the team that they are expected to perform when called upon. So I can see value in not taking responsibility. Nevertheless, it still was colossally boneheaded playcalling.

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yibbyl wrote:
This lack of taking responsibility can work both ways...If he had said that he should have had Kolb take the knee, he'd be backing his players, gaining their trust. On the other hand, by putting it all on Williams, it will probably encourage Williams to self-motivate to improve his ball security. Further, it sends a message to the rest of the team that they are expected to perform when called upon. So I can see value in not taking responsibility. Nevertheless, it still was colossally boneheaded playcalling.

No problem with him coming out and saying yeah, I probably should have called for the knee and backed our defense the way they had played the entire game. And then in the lockerroom sit down with Ryan and tell him that his ball security is of huge importance, turnovers will kill this team with the way they are built.
Yibbyl

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khodder wrote:
Yibbyl wrote:

No problem with him coming out and saying yeah, I probably should have called for the knee and backed our defense the way they had played the entire game. And then in the lockerroom sit down with Ryan and tell him that his ball security is of huge importance, turnovers will kill this team with the way they are built.

I agree and that is how I would have done it (and have in many situations as a manager in the business world). However, there is more than one way to skin a cat. For some reason, Whiz, at least in this case, seems to put more value in demanding high expectations from his players than taking responsibility for calling a play that inherently had a higher risk of failure. - Simply for the fewer number of exchanges alone, the smart/safe play was for Kolb to take a knee. It was definitely the play I expected to see. - Anyway, maybe Whiz is thinking that if he admits a shortcoming in judgement, that his players might question his decisions later? I don't know. I was just pointing out that there was some value in sending the message that players need to deliver when their number is called. In Williams' case, given he had fumbled the week before, not coddling him makes it very clear what the expectations are, though the cost is possibly a loss of some respect.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperFlyTNT wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:
#1CARDSFAN wrote:
11sanchez11 wrote:
Again only one sack given up, making it two in two games. I know the one sack doesn't truly represent the amount of pressure Kolb was under today but the o-line has played better than expected, at least in pass pro.

Like I said my friend in last weeks thread. These outside tackles will only get better. What happens to Levi Brown?

I highly doubt Batiste gets any better.

Still fair to wonder about Brown's future. He'e essentially on a 1 year deal and even though we've passed on them in previous drafts, a tackle can never be ruled out as a draft day target.

You guys see how well Cordy Glenn has played? Peter King even commented on it in his column - CJ Spiller has run wild - we'll see when they face a stiff run D though. Also way too early to judge Floyd, especially with how Whiz handles rookies - but so far that doesn't look like a great pick.

I like how Massie is coming along so far - would have really liked to see the line come together with Levi though.

I'm guessing you mentioned Glenn because you'd rather have had him than Floyd. The jury was still out at draft time as to whether Glenn was going to have to stay inside or could switch to OT. Personally, I wasn't happy with the pick as I felt he was destined to be a LG (and we Bills already had LG Andy Levitre) with a slight chance of moving to RT in the future. We are very fortunate that Glenn has performed so well at LT...player analysis is certainly not an exact science, else there would never be any busts! (And FYI, though Spiller has had some good runs behind Glenn, the real strength of our running game actually comes from the push we get from our interior OL.)

I agree that it is too early to judge Floyd, so I won't. It wouldn't even matter if Whiz wasn't coaching this team...WR's, even early selections, rarely impress their rookie year. The position's duties are just too complex compared to what most are asked to do in college. That's why you see so many WR's blossom in their 2nd or 3rd year in the league. Give it some more time. Performances like Green's rookie season with the Bengals last year, for example, are the exception, not the rule.

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the record, 5:24 left in the 3rd quarter, Brandon Lloyd makes a diving catch on a low thrown ball. Patrick Peterson allows his first catch of the season.
DRC29 INT

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

khodder wrote:
For the record, 5:24 left in the 3rd quarter, Brandon Lloyd makes a diving catch on a low thrown ball. Patrick Peterson allows his first catch of the season.

Thought so, I was gonna ask when I rewatched last night. Wasn't sure if it was maybe a hole in the zone or what. Don't have the coaches film to see.
khodder

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DRC29 INT wrote:
khodder wrote:

Thought so, I was gonna ask when I rewatched last night. Wasn't sure if it was maybe a hole in the zone or what. Don't have the coaches film to see.

It was clear enough to me that it was Man Coverage. It was the only catch he has allowed so far this season.
DRC29 INT

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

khodder wrote:
DRC29 INT wrote:
khodder wrote:

It was clear enough to me that it was Man Coverage. It was the only catch he has allowed so far this season.

PFF has him giving up two receptions on their "ReFocused" article.
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/09/18/refo-cardinals-patriots-week-2/
Quote:
Near Perfect Patrick

He may have gotten away with a little tug on the jersey of Brandon Lloyd in the third quarter, but this was the kind of performance that makes you think of Patrick Peterson (+3.5) as a cornerback, and not just one of the most electrifying returners in the game. In coverage he allowed just 2-of-6 balls thrown his way to be complete as he continued his impressive start to the year.

I rewatched the game and only saw that one to Lloyd..
khodder

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1st-10, NE18 5:42 T. Brady passed to J. Edelman to the right for 9 yard gain

I beleive that is the play that they gave as Peterson's second allowed catch. It is a clear cover three. Gay is playing a short zone, Peterson a deep zone. The route is an out route by Edelman which ends up just behind Gay's zone, but in front of Peterson's. It is a well designed zone beater. I beleive I gave it to hole in zone in my metrics post, I can see how they would give it to Peterson or Gay, but I felt neither really had true responsibility for that area, and if I were to charge either with it it would be Gay who is more responsible for that area of the field.
DRC29 INT

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The whole interview is a great listen, but the first half of it is must-listen:
http://arizonasports.com/templates/audio_player.php?a=20010&type=s
If that doesn't work, it'll be here: http://arizonasports.com/category/doug-&-wolf

Ray Horton interview on Doug and Wolf. Basically explained how predictable NE's offense was in good detail.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45
Page 45 of 45

Jump to: