Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Wow! Week 2 power rankings
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
matt79511

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Eagles are EIGHTH?!?!?! in PFT's rankings? That's just terrible. I don't get worked up about power rankings most of the time but come the - on

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's exactly what I meant. The redskins as of today should be ranked higher than the Saints but I don't give a crap about either team so I'm not going to start a thread about their rankings.
I know rankings don't mean anything but it's just another one of those fun things to see my team at the top of the list. Just like the stats we all check. We know having the #1 ranked offense or defense don't meant squat if they don't win the Super Bowl, but it does give us another thing to brag about and it's a good feeling to see your team up at the top in all the meaningless categories.
Every year I dream the Cowboys go 19-0 and have the #1 offense and defense in the league!
Romo throws 80 TD's, all receivers have 100 catches, 1500 yards and 20 TD's. Demarcus Ware has 40 sacks, and knocks out every QB he faces.
Desperado82

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5 Trophies wrote:
Just like the stats we all check. We know having the #1 ranked offense or defense don't meant squat if they don't win the Super Bowl, but it does give us another thing to brag about and it's a good feeling to see your team up at the top in all the meaningless categories.

The only stats that I'll feel good about seeing this year would be us finishing the season by winning the NFC East, and by making the trip to New Orleans at the end of this season and flying back to Dallas with the 6th Lombardi Trophy.

^^^Deadpulse
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desperado82 wrote:
5 Trophies wrote:
Just like the stats we all check. We know having the #1 ranked offense or defense don't meant squat if they don't win the Super Bowl, but it does give us another thing to brag about and it's a good feeling to see your team up at the top in all the meaningless categories.

The only stats that I'll feel good about seeing this year would be us finishing the season by winning the NFC East, and by making the trip to New Orleans at the end of this season and flying back to Dallas with the 6th Lombardi Trophy.

Damn Straight.

ALL ABOARD - CHAMPIONSHIP BOUND!

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
Rtnldave

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flyingmonkey30 wrote:
I wouldn't call a one possession win a "thorough whooping". And its only been one week, so I dont blame anyone for still having the defending Super Bowl champs rated higher than us. The Packers lost and the Vikings won. Should the Vikings be rated higher than the Packers now?

Uhm, if the Vikings beat the Packers....? YES! d'oh!

Also, being a fair man, I will post Brian Billick's rankings for week 2. Last week I ripped him, and justifibly so. But at least HE recognized his error and corrected it. I do believe he is in the ballpark with this line up:
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/powerRankings
flyingmonkey30

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rtnldave wrote:
flyingmonkey30 wrote:
I wouldn't call a one possession win a "thorough whooping". And its only been one week, so I dont blame anyone for still having the defending Super Bowl champs rated higher than us. The Packers lost and the Vikings won. Should the Vikings be rated higher than the Packers now?

Also, being a fair man, I will post Brian Billick's rankings for week 2. Last week I ripped him, and justifibly so. But at least HE recognized his error and corrected it. I do believe he is in the ballpark with this line up:

Yeah, point out where I said the Vikings beat the Packers. The Vikings won THEIR matchup and Green Bay lost THEIR matchup. For one team to win, and another to lose, they dont have to necessarily play each other

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flyingmonkey30 wrote:
Rtnldave wrote:
flyingmonkey30 wrote:

Yeah, point out where I said the Vikings beat the Packers. The Vikings won THEIR matchup and Green Bay lost THEIR matchup. For one team to win, and another to lose, they dont have to necessarily play each other

What kind of tree do you think I fell out of? Don't you think I realized that? I was referencing the Cowboys beating the Giants, 2 teams that DID play one another, and the Cowboys won. And according to the Power Rankings we were referencing, the Giants still had a higher ranking than Dallas! I was stating that HAD the Vikings and Packers played similar roles than, Yes I would think the Vikings would and should be ranked higher than the Packers. Agree or disagree?
So, why is it in the case of the Cowboys vs Giants, with the Cowboys being the victor, they are ranked lower?

Simply put, Sarcasim
flyingmonkey30

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rtnldave wrote:
flyingmonkey30 wrote:
Rtnldave wrote:
flyingmonkey30 wrote:

What kind of tree do you think I fell out of? Don't you think I realized that? I was referencing the Cowboys beating the Giants, 2 teams that DID play one another, and the Cowboys won. And according to the Power Rankings we were referencing, the Giants still had a higher ranking than Dallas! I was stating that HAD the Vikings and Packers played similar roles than, Yes I would think the Vikings would and should be ranked higher than the Packers. Agree or disagree?
So, why is it in the case of the Cowboys vs Giants, with the Cowboys being the victor, they are ranked lower?

Simply put, Sarcasim

Oh, see, I didn't see the word if. My bad on that one.

But then that would mean that you think the Redskins should be rated higher than the Saints, correct?

And I completely disagree that if the Vikings beat the Packers in week one that they should be ranked ahead of them. Not in the 2012 season at least

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flyingmonkey30 wrote:
Rtnldave wrote:
flyingmonkey30 wrote:
Rtnldave wrote:
flyingmonkey30 wrote:

Simply put, Sarcasim

But then that would mean that you think the Redskins should be rated higher than the Saints, correct?

And I completely disagree that if the Vikings beat the Packers in week one that they should be ranked ahead of them. Not in the 2012 season at least

Well sir, then we have arrived at an impass. I believe it is time to envoke that oldest and noblest of traditions by employing the democratic process and exercising our inalienable rights to settle this matter peacfully, rationally, ecumenically and gramitcally by arriving at the mutual understanding of pacifism for the greater good and engaging in the process of agreeing to disagree.

Good day to you sir. Wink
Desperado82

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rtnldave wrote:
flyingmonkey30 wrote:
Rtnldave wrote:
flyingmonkey30 wrote:
Rtnldave wrote:
flyingmonkey30 wrote:

Simply put, Sarcasim

Well sir, then we have arrived at an impass. I believe it is time to envoke that oldest and noblest of traditions by employing the democratic process and exercising our inalienable rights to settle this matter peacfully, rationally, ecumenically and gramitcally by arriving at the mutual understanding of pacifism for the greater good and engaging in the process of agreeing to disagree.

Pssh...I say you two go out and have a good ol' Texas quick draw to decide who wins the debate.

^^^Deadpulse
flyingmonkey30

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rtnldave wrote:
flyingmonkey30 wrote:
Rtnldave wrote:
flyingmonkey30 wrote:
Rtnldave wrote:
flyingmonkey30 wrote:

Simply put, Sarcasim

LOL, great debating with you Dave, as always. Looking forward to the next one Wink

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally like that were flying under the radar on this power ranking thing or anything for that matter. its a nice change from the past few years of hype we get from the media.

Adopt-A-Cowboy(Dez Bryant)
46 catches, 706 yards, 7 touchdown, 15.3 average
Rtnldave

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flyingmonkey30 wrote:
Rtnldave wrote:
flyingmonkey30 wrote:
Rtnldave wrote:
flyingmonkey30 wrote:
Rtnldave wrote:
flyingmonkey30 wrote:

Simply put, Sarcasim

LOL, great debating with you Dave, as always. Looking forward to the next one Wink

Likewise my friend! Very Happy
5 Trophies

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just read a very thorough article on ESPN that details how "most" of the people involved with these Power rankings make their determinations. Here is the best quote that sums things up for me at least;

"Overall Rankings put a small emphasis on how one team performs against another one on any given day and may not necessarily reflect the overall power rankings of that particular team"

Basically saying that if Arizona was to upset New England this weekend it does not mean the Cardinals will move ahead of the Patriots in the Power Rankings, but New England would fall in the rankings due to the loss to an inferior opponent.

Lets get on with the [inappropriate/removed] whipping of the Seahawks and while we are at it, lets have a little Pick em to see how high the Cowboys can get in the Power Rankings. just for fun, I say they crack the top 5 (4 overall) by week 4
Every year I dream the Cowboys go 19-0 and have the #1 offense and defense in the league!
Romo throws 80 TD's, all receivers have 100 catches, 1500 yards and 20 TD's. Demarcus Ware has 40 sacks, and knocks out every QB he faces.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: