Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ex- Lions WR Roy Williams Retires
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
X_Factor_40

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:23 am    Post subject: Ex- Lions WR Roy Williams Retires Reply with quote

Ex-Lions receiver Roy Williams announces retirement on Facebook

Quote:
Roy Williams, a wide receiver out of Texas who was selected 7th overall by the Detroit Lions in 2004, announced his retirement after nine NFL seasons.

Quote:
"My time in the NFL is over, had a great time, ups and downs, met soooo many ppl, fans, and friends," Williams wrote. "Played with some of the best athletes in the world, alot of ppl don't get that opportunity. But now it's time for me to have my family time that I've missed for the last 9yrs, spending it with Jordan and Dallas and the ppl who love me, so I will never strap it up again (even tho i can still play), but at the same time I'm ready to give that dream up.

Quote:
"Came into the league healthy, and im walking away healthy, with my head held high. Thank you all who've cheered for me, booed me, and loved me, y'all are still fans to me!"

*The article goes on to mention his stats with each team*

What do you think of Roy Williams?

How will you remember him?
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will remember him as an effective receiver during his time in Detroit. Not much more than that. I always felt a bit sorry for him. After CJ arrived he seemed a bit down.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll remember Roy's 1st down celebrations with the team getting blown out. I'll remember his big catches and easy drops.

And I'll remember that he was good enough to convince someone to give us a 1st, 3rd and 6th to take him from us.

Thanks Roy!

Team Stylish
SadLionFan00

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
I'll remember Roy's 1st down celebrations with the team getting blown out. I'll remember his big catches and easy drops.

And I'll remember that he was good enough to convince someone to give us a 1st, 3rd and 6th to take him from us.

Thanks Roy!

THIS.

Roy was one of my all-time favorite Lions while we were terrible. He was always a bright spot in otherwise hopeless seasons. And, he somehow netted us Brandon Pettigrew.
Get him to fling poo more accurately and make better decisions when flinging it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always liked Roy. Wish the best for him and his.

Remembered for naming CJ Megatron and for being a character without being a distraction at a time when so many WRs are.
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He crashed hard after we traded him, but overall, he was pretty good during his four seasons here. It was still a very smart move to trade him--even if he had moved on to be a solid receiver with Dallas, it was just time for him to go. Take issue with his silly first down celebrations all you want, but he was a bright spot on an otherwise really, really bad team for a long time.

Generally a good due. You could tell he wanted out toward the end of his stay here, but at least he took the high ground, said the right things, and didn't disparage the franchise after leaving, even though the Lions gave him plenty of reasons to do so by failing to build anything around him.

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Adopt-a-Lion: Don Muhlbach (for four years running!)
Irishmouse25

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHO?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We got Pettigrew, Levy, and preseason runner-up MVP (behind Stanton, of course) for Roy

Trade well spent, I would have traded him for Pett anyday, possible for Levy as well (this is hindsight, of course, but it's easy to see how well this trade worked out for us)

Cruz is one of best WR in the game

detfan782004 wrote:

(Eli) Manning has a new look offense and he has looked really good in it.

wut
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuhPLEX wrote:
We got Pettigrew, Levy, and preseason runner-up MVP (behind Stanton, of course) for Roy

Trade well spent, I would have traded him for Pett anyday, possible for Levy as well (this is hindsight, of course, but it's easy to see how well this trade worked out for us)

The trade worked for Detroit and its certainly a part of Williams legacy to Detroit.

I'm going to remember him as a player who came and contributed during the darkest days of the Lions franchise.

Can you imagine how bad the atmosphere around the Lions must have been?

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuhPLEX wrote:

For the record: it was Pettigrew, Derrick Williams and Aaron Brown.

Team Stylish
SuhPLEX

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diehardlionfan wrote:
SuhPLEX wrote:

The trade worked for Detroit and its certainly a part of Williams legacy to Detroit.

I'm going to remember him as a player who came and contributed during the darkest days of the Lions franchise.

Can you imagine how bad the atmosphere around the Lions must have been?

I'd imagine pretty horrible... I remember numerous blackouts, which means the fans weren't into it. I remember looking forward to away games because I could watch them. Embarrassing huh?

I don't mind his first down signs either. We needed that, I think he was trying to bring energy to the team. It's easy to make fun of that, because when you're down it just looks silly, but I think he had good intentions.

All in all, I don't have a problem with the guy. I wasn't as keen of the trade at the time, because I was a lot younger and so used to draft picks not panning out so I had a lower value of them... but I never had a problem with the guy. I wish him the best!

detfan782004 wrote:

wut
SuhPLEX

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
SuhPLEX wrote:

That's right, Levy was our other 3rd round pick. I was referring to Aaron Brown, though

detfan782004 wrote:

wut
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuhPLEX wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
SuhPLEX wrote:

That's right, Levy was our other 3rd round pick. I was referring to Aaron Brown, though

I thought you were, to be honest, but I wanted to make sure. (I almost bolded Derrick Williams to show that, but I didn't want it to come off as rude.)

Team Stylish
SuhPLEX

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
SuhPLEX wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
SuhPLEX wrote:

I thought you were, to be honest, but I wanted to make sure. (I almost bolded Derrick Williams to show that, but I didn't want it to come off as rude.)

Na man you're cool, I'm not easily offended. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong; doesn't matter if it's in terms of fact or logical analysis.

detfan782004 wrote:

wut
EnglishLion20

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always Liked Roy, Was a Glimmer of hope while we were Terrible, at least when Martz was OC, the Lions were entertaining and scored points.

Just never kicked on and once Calvin was drafted he never found his 2006 form again......anywhere...

Soccer Forums Most Underated Poster 2012 Award Winner.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: