Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

My thoughts on the greatness we just witnessed
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RavensTillIDie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ceejay wrote:
Yup now I'm convinced

2012 is real! It's all over

Laughing

Man, this sucks. The world is going to end before the Ravens even get a chance to win the Super Bowl lol.

Matts4313 wrote:
Speaking of attacking kids
GaTechRavens

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RavensTillIDie wrote:
ceejay wrote:
Yup now I'm convinced

Laughing

Man, this sucks. The world is going to end before the Ravens even get a chance to win the Super Bowl lol.

Oh please, that's nothing. It would take something like the Ori-

I think the ground just shook.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll get in line and offer my thoughts on the game as well.

Pass Rush
I agree with the opinions that our pass rush is still an issue. Pernell McPhee has underwhelmed from the preseason to now. He hasn't made any sort of "leap". I started to notice that he was cooling off last year towards the end where, after Ngata's leg injury, he became far less impactful then he was at the start of the year. This game against the Bengals hasn't done anything to calm my fears about whether or not he can be the pass rushing 5-tech that we were hoping he could become. Obviously it's still early and he can still see much improvement, but color me not impressed with him at the moment.

I think our 5-tech spot is somewhat missing Cory Redding's ability to be consistently firm at the POA. Jones looks like he has the ability to continue to develop his base and improve, but as of now I thought that spot was part of the problem with our run defense.

In terms of Upshaw, I loved the half sack, he flashed some of his college swagger there... that said, I thought he looked better as a pass rusher when he was being used creatively- via stunts, etc. When he was just going 1on1 with a tackle, I wasn't as impressed... he still has a lot of work to get to the level that I hope (and believe) that he can get to. He needs to continue to see plenty of playing time to develop those skills... as long as our offense can keep playing at such a high level, it should allow us to develop our younger defenders (Smith and Upshaw in particular IMO).

Secondary
Onto the secondary, Webb of course played like he usually does- perhaps not at quite as high a level, but he was still very active and making plays. I thought our safety play was incredible. Bernard Pollard was laying the hammer on anyone within his path and his coverage was nice to boot. And while Ed Reed's interception will probably be the major focus on what's taken out of that game, I thought his physicality was particularly noticeable. In past years he came out playing a little bit soft. Not looking to tackle so much as hold onto a jersey... but he was balling yesterday. He looked like "playoff Ed Reed" more than "regular season Ed". It was exciting to see.

But on a more sour note. Cary Williams was a big disappointment for the entire first half. He did better in the second half when our pass rushing picked up with the stunts and creative blitz calls... but in man2man he was abused far too many times for my liking... and all of his "talk" to start I felt was very unnecessary. He was losing his head, yet nothing really happened IMO to really justify it. And in terms of Jimmy, it's no secret that his strongest suite is in press man and that he hasn't yet developed his off-man technique to the level that we'd want, but that particular technique of his was raw coming out of college, so I think much of his coverage flaws were correctable as they were technique issue. He needs to continue to see game action to correct his flaws.. hopefully sooner than later.

ILB Play
Our LBer play I thought was okay. Lewis, while I thought his speed was evident... as he was making plays that I haven't seen him make in the past 4-5 years or so, but that being said his lack of bulk I also thought was evident. I thought Ray got pushed around much more than usual in run defense. It probably wouldn't be so bad if our front 7 would be able to play like they did in the past few years with Suggs/JJ/veteran 5-tech... but without those players holding the point at a very high level (keeping blockers off of him), Lewis' weaker frame up front is noticeable as well. And aside from Lewis, McClain looked average out there... possible even below. He was our biggest flaw in the run defense as far as I'm concerned.

Coming into the season, I figured the pass rush could be a problem but as long as we were able to hold teams in rushing as per usual... we'd force teams into difficult 3rd down situations and capitalize more often than not through the talent of our secondary. That was not the case against the Bengals. We were pushed around far too much for a Ravens defense... something needs to be done about this ASAP. Hopefully this area improves against the Eagles next week.

Offense
Offensively, I saw what I wanted to see... so there's not much more I can say that hasn't already been said. I suppose, I do wish that Joe would've thrown for a few more yards... say 320 yards and another touchdown... just to trump what Ryan did with Atlanta statistically speaking.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BaltimoreTerp wrote:

Offensive line was spotty but got the job done. Most important question for me going forward is how they hold up over the season running the no huddle. It's going to cause some heavy legs, so conditionining will be paramount. If they can do that, we're in good shape.

Also, Harbaugh using a timeout just to scream at the refs was pretty hilarious.

Fantastic start.

I agree that how the offensive line holds up will be big, but I think the concerns about the heavy legs may not be too big of a deal as our OL is pretty young FTMP... and more importantly... our no-huddle isn't really the most fast paced type. Like you saw how the Bengals when they went no-huddle were getting to the line quick... and constantly trying to hurry, etc... I think that style is what really tires the legs so much more. It's the high tempo that wares you down, whereas I think our no-huddle offense tends to share the personality of our QB- Flacco. It's more medium temp and less tiresome. It's sort of a... "yeah, we're slow jogging to the line... maybe we'll go a little faster if we feel like it, but we're just chilling... Oh and we're still going to shred you... just so you know." Cool

So I'm not too worried about the line wearing down.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GaTechRavens wrote:
RavensTillIDie wrote:
ceejay wrote:
Yup now I'm convinced

Laughing

Shocked
When you go in the lion's den, you don't tippy toe in you carry a spear, you go in screaming like a banshee, you kick whatever doors in, and say, 'Where's the SOB?' If you go in any other way you're gonna lose.
Integrity

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-In regards to the ILB play, I think Ellerbe may be our best run stuffing ILB. He didn't get a whole lot of plays, but when he was on the field he met BJGE at the line of scrimmage with authority. Its too bad he's a liability in coverage, otherwise he could challenge McClain for the starting spot.

-Birk's value presnap can't be understated. If he was a guard, there's no question that he would be joining McKinnie and Bobbie Williams on the bench. He just doesn't physically have it anymore. The sooner Gradkowski gets up to speed the better.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GaTechRavens wrote:
RavensTillIDie wrote:
ceejay wrote:
Yup now I'm convinced

Laughing

I felt outta my chair here. Laughing

Our boys looked good yesterday!

Ray Lewis wrote:
This it! This it, man! This is it! We goin' for a ring man!

Wise Old Man wrote:
Joe Flacco doesn't believe in miracles; miracles believe in Joe Flacco
ravens_rool28

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it me, or has Flacco's play-action gotten better each year? He looked like Peyton with his fakes last night..Might be a stretch there, but you get what I'm saying.

BaltimoreTerp wrote:
Muy Oheribble

coordinator0

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Integrity wrote:
-In regards to the ILB play, I think Ellerbe may be our best run stuffing ILB. He didn't get a whole lot of plays, but when he was on the field he met BJGE at the line of scrimmage with authority. Its too bad he's a liability in coverage, otherwise he could challenge McClain for the starting spot.

-Birk's value presnap can't be understated. If he was a guard, there's no question that he would be joining McKinnie and Bobbie Williams on the bench. He just doesn't physically have it anymore. The sooner Gradkowski gets up to speed the better.

I agree on both counts. For all of Ellerbe's struggles in coverage he has the best straight-line explosiveness out of all the ILBs and he's a fairly good tackler in the box too. Obviously Lewis is still the best tackler on the team but I think Ellerbe is the best option in short-yardage situations. McClain just isn't explosive, powerful, or instinctive enough to ever be anything more than average in any facet of the game. Yes I'm still on this rant.

Birk didn't necessarily play bad last night but you're right in that you can tell he's breaking down physically. I wouldn't be surprised to see Gradkowski starting later in the season.

ravens_rool28 wrote:
Is it me, or has Flacco's play-action gotten better each year? He looked like Peyton with his fakes last night..Might be a stretch there, but you get what I'm saying.

Yeah Flacco looks far better now using play-action than earlier in his career. The offense is the best it's ever been for this kind of play-calling too.
RAVINGMADD

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ravens_rool28 wrote:

Yeah totally agree. I feel like last year he made a bigger improvement on it, but now he's starting to really perfect it.
RAVINGMADD

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't really comment on the game as much as everyone else because I was there and all the specifics kind of got lost in the shuffle of all the excitement. One thing I have to say though is that the ovation the Orioles players got was amazing. I'm still a bit hoarse from last night and I'm going to the O's game tomorrow. This is quite a special time for Baltimore sports.

One thing I do have to say about the game is that I totally called the blowout Everyone was telling me it was going to come down to a field goal, but I felt more and more confident in this offense as the game got closer. Joe Flacco is a really good QB and the rest of the league is just going to have to get used to it.
Goon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First we need to sign off every Texans free agent - Leach,Pollard and now Jones . Wow, amazing fits

Second of all, thank you Caldwell for the amazing play action. That's all on him working it out with Joe.

Props to NS922!
spiritoftruth

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't agree with the love for Cameron. This just makes me more Mad because it means we could've been playing like this 2 years ago.

NextBigThing wrote:
I am a Patriots fan, I know all about excellence.
coordinator0

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiritoftruth wrote:
I don't agree with the love for Cameron. This just makes me more Mad because it means we could've been playing like this 2 years ago.

Maybe but I doubt it. Two years ago the top 3 WRs were still Boldin, Mason, and Housmanzadeh. That's a vastly different type of receiving corp than the one they have now and I doubt you could run an offense (effectively) the same way. Flacco wasn't as good then as he is now either. There are a lot of reasons to be upset with Cameron but changing up the offense to something that looks to be effective and suited to the personnel isn't one of them.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: