Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

GDT Handshake Part II: San Francisco 49ers vs Detroit Lions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 53, 54, 55  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who Takes It?
Jim Harbaugh
80%
 80%  [ 38 ]
Jim Schwartz
19%
 19%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 47

Jeebs

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Psychlone wrote:
Jeebs wrote:
skatebeanz wrote:
mrscottso wrote:
Have you guys improved the OL at all?

Who is that? Is he any good? Is he starting/playing? I know that the saying is "a picture is worth 1,000 words" but in this case it doesn't help much.
Riley Reiff out of Iowa. I remember Mayock being real high on him.

Mayock is second only to Gruden in being high on just about everyone.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andjordand wrote:
Can't wait for sunday!

http://www.nfl.com/videos/movie-trailers/09000d5d8285a5c2/Detroit-Lions-vs-San-Francisco-49ers-movie-trailer

If Gore is going to get his yards, its going to have to be towards the sideline, our interior DL and LB's are playing the run as good as anyone in the NFL right now. Detroit's two backup DT's, Fairley and Hill, are run-stopping monsters and would be starters on any 4-3 defense in the league. Make no mistake, Alex Smith will have to pass deep in order to win this game, which might not be all that hard to do against our secondary, but regardless, the running game won't be bailing him out like last year's match-up.
Well, that should work then. I saw a stat saying that Gore ran like 78 yards outside against GB.

Thanks to IDOG_det on the sig!
2011 & 2012 NFC West Champs!!!
Xbox: Steadypimpin49
"Keep choppin' wood"
Ataal

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's not let the win against Green Bay go to our heads. Detroit has weapons and their defense is no slouch, either. I think we're a more balanced(and much heavier at many areas) team, but this one could get away from us.

On the bright side, we have home court advantage this time. Remember how many penalties we got hit with last year? It was insane. That stadium is disgusting loud. Welcome to Candlestick, Lions.

Stafford actually spreads the ball around very well, so we can't just concentrate on Megatron. He will still get catches that are just next to impossible to defend against, but we need to get the tackle immediately. Something we do well, for the most part. Three points, not seven.

While the Lions had some success keeping the Rams to only 78 yards rushing, they're going to be in for a rude awakening with Gore/Hunter. These guys are in another level and our run blocking is better this year and has been phenomenal outside of a couple plays. Expect another huge rushing attack Sunday from the Niners. Last year, teams were able to contain, to some extent, our rushing attack because we were so one-dimensional. That is not the case this year. Go ahead, Lions, stack the box. I dare you.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steadypimpin wrote:
Well, that should work then. I saw a stat saying that Gore ran like 78 yards outside against GB.

57 strongside wide and 23 weakside wide. Smile

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steadypimpin wrote:
This should be a big game for us. The home opener on Sunday night in front of all of America. Everything is on our side for Sunday's game. I see a similar game, stuffing the hell out of their run game and forcing them to be one dimensional on offense.

Their defense was good against the run on the Rams. We have a better run game than the Rams so hopefully Frank can get another 100 this week. I think Alex can get in a rhythm and shake up their pass defense. Run game plus quick dump offs and intermediate throws will open up for the big gains later in the game.

as a realist, I think the 9ers will win.

However, stopping the run to make us one dimensional? that's what happened all last year. we like to pass, so please focus on the run. you'd be better off trying to stop the pass, and making us beat you with the run.

Location: Buring the eternal flame Candlestick Park - you will always be in my heart
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing that really really worries me about this game is Calvin Johnson. Ive seen fitz give us fits because he is simply taller than whoever we have guarding him. I have a bad feeling that he will have a few really huge catches where we have plenty of guys in position and he just jumps over them and catches it.

Obviously getting to stafford is important, just like everyother game. I expect another big game out of aldon. brooks started to come on strong late in the GB game after a slow start and I expect him to build on his performance last week. I think we will cause stafford to fumble at least once. Stafford is very injury prone so if we can get in his head early I think that we will have success. A few early hits can really set the tone for the game, much like last week against GB when we sacked rodgers early and then from that point on you could tell he was feeling the rush moreso than he normally is.... I think this same thing happens to stafford this week, especially as they wont be able to run the ball very well - although I do like the way that kevin smith runs, hes very patient and shows good burst.

I think that we are under their skin already, and they have been known to lose their composure in the past so I think we will see some cheapshots or things of that nature, I just hope the refs do aswell.

They arent very disciplined up front and I think we will be able to expose them with misdirection plays like we did last year. teams have had success running traps right at suh and I think we use a few of those "toss it right then come back to the left" plays that only we run. I also think a reverse or two is in order (hopefully we get ginn back) to freeze their outside defenders and prevent them from chasing plays down from the backside/to hit them for big gains. I also think we will have some sort of play for them that we save until the end of the game, and that we might not even use if its not close. something they havent seen before.

I also think that this is the first team that will try and match our jumbo set. from what I remember from last year they have a very deep rotation on the DL so when we use 7 OLman I fully expect them to use 6 or more DLman. If this is the case then I think play action is in order.

I wonder how much attention they will give vernon. It seemed like GreenBay did a really good job of having coverage over the top of him and not letting him get into space. I wonder who the lions game plan will emphasize stopping, because you could tell GB was all over vernon and moss (rightly so) which left room for crabs and manningham. I wonder if the lions pop in the tape and are arrogant enough to leave vernon in single coverage. If thats the case then he will have a big day, or at least a few big catches.

Overall though, I think if we can just play our game, and keep the pace of the game slow, just like we did last week, that we win handily. If the pace of the game speeds up then this one will come down to the last play. I expect this to be a fight either way tho, they have talent and are hungry. That was one of the things I said last week that GB fans were all caught up in, I said we were more hungry than the packers and they didnt believe me, but it turned out to be the case as I didnt see the fire in the eyes of anyone on their team with the exception of clay mathews. I expect suh and co to be fired up and to match our intensity so this is going to be a good one.

If they win it will be because:
Calvin is just too tall
Stafford had too much time
Joe Staley stinks
they did a good job of shutting down the run game

If we win it will be because:
our run game was gashing them
our pass rush was unstoppable
our secondary played the ball extremely well in the air and either has a high number of PDs or INTs
timely passes, in the redzone especially

^a seahawks fan in reference to 2013

FOREVER FAITHFUL
the niners lost the superbowl
FOREVER HATEFUL

SaveourSonics wrote:
Some Seattle fans are really getting out of hand.
NINERFAN_4_LIFE

Location: Buring the eternal flame Candlestick Park - you will always be in my heart
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bdubs3316 wrote:
steadypimpin wrote:
This should be a big game for us. The home opener on Sunday night in front of all of America. Everything is on our side for Sunday's game. I see a similar game, stuffing the hell out of their run game and forcing them to be one dimensional on offense.

Their defense was good against the run on the Rams. We have a better run game than the Rams so hopefully Frank can get another 100 this week. I think Alex can get in a rhythm and shake up their pass defense. Run game plus quick dump offs and intermediate throws will open up for the big gains later in the game.

However, stopping the run to make us one dimensional? that's what happened all last year. we like to pass, so please focus on the run. you'd be better off trying to stop the pass, and making us beat you with the run.

as evidenced last week against greenbay, we can stop your run even when we are thinking pass. For example, I remember one play in particular where we had only 4 in the box (3 lineman and bowman) a loop called for aldon and justin (meaning justin lined up inside aldon and then at the snap when around the outside while aldon went inside) and the packers tried to run it and we stuffed them at the LOS. we can stop basically any run game in the league with only a few guys. its because we fight off blocks so well and RARELY miss tackles. Bowman and willis are some of the best pursuit LBs in the game and justin smith requires double teams on nearly every play which eats up blockers and allows other guys to make plays.

You will still try and run the ball, if for nothing else to "keep us honest". All of the good passing teams run the ball from time to time so that the other team cant just focus on the pass. it helps slow down pass rushes and keeps your qb from getting hit. it can be used as a change of pace and can be used to slow a game down when things are not going your way. last week you averaged over 5 yards per carry, which is good for a predominantly passing team, but when the niners shut down your run game it will be very frustrating for your coaching staff, especially if we are able to get to stafford more often than not. The run game is a security blanket that you will not have this weekend. The packers arent a running team either and you could tell the fact that we could shut down their run game so easily was bothering them. they would try and run and would get one to two yards, followed by an incomplete pass or a sack and all of a sudden its third and long. Not having a run game just puts that much more pressure on your QB, and more often than not it is a bad thing.

FOREVER FAITHFUL
FOREVER HATEFUL

SaveourSonics wrote:
NINERFAN_4_LIFE

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LionsFTW wrote:
49ers Finest wrote:
I think we dominate this game. And wind by a large margin. They have cj on offense an that's it. No run game I speak of. Stafford forces it to cj very play. And although it worked all last season. Even the rams got it this year.

We got this one.

Not one INT Stafford threw was to Calvin.

your right, all of the ints he threw were to the rams Laughing Laughing Laughing

I know what you mean but you are still wrong, what about the play at 1:03??
http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2012090905/2012/REG1/rams@lions#menu=highlights&tab=recap

that was clearly calvin running an out route Laughing Laughing

FOREVER FAITHFUL
FOREVER HATEFUL

SaveourSonics wrote:
bdubs3316

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NINERFAN_4_LIFE wrote:
bdubs3316 wrote:
steadypimpin wrote:

as evidenced last week against greenbay, we can stop your run even when we are thinking pass. For example, I remember one play in particular where we had only 4 in the box (3 lineman and bowman) a loop called for aldon and justin (meaning justin lined up inside aldon and then at the snap when around the outside while aldon went inside) and the packers tried to run it and we stuffed them at the LOS. we can stop basically any run game in the league with only a few guys. its because we fight off blocks so well and RARELY miss tackles. Bowman and willis are some of the best pursuit LBs in the game and justin smith requires double teams on nearly every play which eats up blockers and allows other guys to make plays.

You will still try and run the ball, if for nothing else to "keep us honest". All of the good passing teams run the ball from time to time so that the other team cant just focus on the pass. it helps slow down pass rushes and keeps your qb from getting hit. it can be used as a change of pace and can be used to slow a game down when things are not going your way. last week you averaged over 5 yards per carry, which is good for a predominantly passing team, but when the niners shut down your run game it will be very frustrating for your coaching staff, especially if we are able to get to stafford more often than not. The run game is a security blanket that you will not have this weekend. The packers arent a running team either and you could tell the fact that we could shut down their run game so easily was bothering them. they would try and run and would get one to two yards, followed by an incomplete pass or a sack and all of a sudden its third and long. Not having a run game just puts that much more pressure on your QB, and more often than not it is a bad thing.

thanks for the football lesson.

the easiest way to slow down a fierce pass rush is an effective screen game. with that said, we're missing our best weapon for screens (Jahvid).

We're not known for running the ball well, but we're known for being a very competent passing team. feel free to rush, and we'll dink and dunk our way down the field and hit you with screens. of course we'll mix in some runs "to keep you honest"...but that wont be the deciding factor.

regardless...the stars have to align just right for the Lions to win this game, IMO.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrscottso wrote:
Maverick12 wrote:
mrscottso wrote:
Maverick12 wrote:
49ers Finest wrote:
I think we dominate this game. And wind by a large margin. They have cj on offense an that's it. No run game I speak of. Stafford forces it to cj very play. And although it worked all last season. Even the rams got it this year.

We got this one.

Just giving you a heads up, Stafford only targeted Johnson 7 times against the Rams.

I actually don't think going after CJ is the key. If we can stop Stafford from being upright, I think we win.

IMO, that was the key to you guys winning last year. Stafford never had time to throw and as a result our offense stalled for multiple drives. I remember Justin Smith and Aldon were just dominating our Oline.

We drafted Reiff but he is not a starter yet. It will be the same Oline you guys faced last year plus a little more continuity.
LionsFTW

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NINERFAN_4_LIFE wrote:
LionsFTW wrote:
49ers Finest wrote:

We got this one.

Not one INT Stafford threw was to Calvin.

your right, all of the ints he threw were to the rams Laughing Laughing Laughing

I know what you mean but you are still wrong, what about the play at 1:03??
http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2012090905/2012/REG1/rams@lions#menu=highlights&tab=recap

that was clearly calvin running an out route Laughing Laughing

You're right. I forgot about that play. Still though, the only time Matt seems to force it to Calvin is when we're in trouble. Dallas, Minny, Oakland last year... and it got us out of trouble in all three.
Poster4613

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I think everyone is downplaying the Lions too much. We can stop the run but I don't think the Lions have much of a run game anyway. I have a lot more faith in our secondary after today and if we can get a consistent pass rush we should pull this one out. I'd look for Aldon or Justin to have a big game.

Offensively, I think that D-line is going to put a hurting on Smith. We should be able to run with a little bit of success, but this is going to be a big test for our oline. I expect Anthony Davis to get abused (because he sucks and I hate him). Overall, I see this one being a close game with Matthew Stafford playing much better than last week. Based on the quantity of throws by Stafford and the opportunistic nature of our defense, I predict we get a big turnover or two and that makes the difference in this game. Also, I see CJ toasting us really badly at least once.
neezy007

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After years of only hoping we would win we are finally getting to the point where we are confident in our team to win. It scares me! LOL It's like the last game where we were moving the ball well on offense. I was waiting for a catastrophic fail to occur any second and it didn't happen.

With that said I think this one will be close. We are playing the same exact kind of team. They may not be as good but their best weapon is better than anything GB has.
DirtyJersey9er

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's kinda odd that we get most of the NFC North part of our schedule out of the way in the first 3 weeks.

I have a new Sports Blog check it at:
http://buttfumblesports.wordpress.com/
SoCalNiner

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maverick12 wrote:
mrscottso wrote:
Maverick12 wrote:
mrscottso wrote:
Maverick12 wrote:
49ers Finest wrote:

We got this one.

Just giving you a heads up, Stafford only targeted Johnson 7 times against the Rams.

I actually don't think going after CJ is the key. If we can stop Stafford from being upright, I think we win.

IMO, that was the key to you guys winning last year. Stafford never had time to throw and as a result our offense stalled for multiple drives. I remember Justin Smith and Aldon were just dominating our Oline.

We drafted Reiff but he is not a starter yet. It will be the same Oline you guys faced last year plus a little more continuity.

Is he not living up to expectations, or Schwartz just wants to take it slow with him?

Regardless this won't be a cakewalk for either team. I think this game will be won/lost in the last few minutes of the game.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 53, 54, 55  Next
Page 3 of 55

Jump to: