Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2013 Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 99, 100, 101  Next
 
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
big9erfan


Joined: 26 Feb 2007
Posts: 14689
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldman9er wrote:
Should be a fun rematch game on tonight between UCLA and Stanford. Lots of prospects that we could be interested in.

Stanford's Chase Thomas.. Zach Ertz.. Levine Toilolo... Shane Skov...

UCLA's Joe Fauria.. Datone Jones.. Cassius Marsh.. Sheldon Price..

Stanford's power-run game and costly turnovers overwhelmed UCLA in their last meeting. Gonna enjoy seeing how they fair tonight. Smile


Skov is great, but we don't need any more LBs. I'm interested in getting another look in Ertz. Given Walker's hands this year and his contract situation TE might be on our list of wants for this draft.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FG21_PW52


Joined: 06 Feb 2008
Posts: 4383
Location: 831, CA.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I really know about the 2013 draft is that I want Stepfan Taylor. Incredibly bad.
_________________
INSERT COOL IMAGE HERE
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cali2Wisco


Joined: 29 Jan 2006
Posts: 2363
Location: 1st Round Bye
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think we need to take a chance on the Honey Badger in the 5th - 6th round. Harbaugh should be able to clean up his act.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SFaithful97


Joined: 08 Mar 2007
Posts: 2975
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going through our roster and looking at upcoming free agents as well as those I see as likely to be cut due to salary, and I am starting to see a few different areas we will have to address either through FA or the draft, as well as a few we could (even though we might not need to). These are not in order.

CB- Rogers is making too much money to be our 3rd best corner, and at this point that is what he is. We will need to get a corner who can play the nickle position in the slot, or decide if we feel comfortable with Cully or Brown in that spot and have the newcomer play outside. Either way I don't think Cox is much better than a solid 4th CB, and in todays NFL you need a solid third CB to compete with the best passing attacks. Even if you like Cox there, I don't want Brock playing corner.

OLB- We are very strong at the top of the depth chart, but extremely thin. This team really would like to find a quality rotational guy to give Brooks and Smith a breather from time to time. A 3rd talented OLB would allow us to rotate guys in and out and keep our pass rushers fresh all game (and all season) long. While I agree it would be a luxury pick, it will not be a position we would avoid if the value is there when we pick.

DE- Justin Smith is getting older but he still has enough left in the tank to be one of the very best in the league for a couple years. This gives our FO an opportunity to go for a high potential guy that may not be ready from a physical standpoint to dominate the NFL. With a great DL coach in Tomsula, and a culture that has been great a maximizing the potential of our players recently, NFL readiness may not be so important in this spot.

NT- Either we resign Sopoaga (who may stay at a modest salary to finish his career here) or we need his replacement. I don't see anyone on our current roster who could provide what Sopoaga does, or really be effective in a starting role for that matter. There is a lot of quality NT talent in the top of the draft, so it will be interesting to see if that is where we go in the 1st. (can't go wrong with strengthening the trenches)

FS- I expect that Goldson is going to stick around, and that the FO is going to find the money to give him a deal. Until that is in writing though it is worth discussing, especially when our backup safety is CJ Spillman. I like Robinson, but at this point he isn't ready to start.

C- Goodwin has been playing much better this season, but even if you like him a lot as a player age is a factor here. We need to have somebody ready to step in who is capable of calling the protections for the line. Maybe one of our backups could be ready by next year, but I think we all want improvement at the C position.

TE- Delanie Walker figures to be let go, and his replacement could be found in the first few rounds of the draft. I personally would like to see a little bit more of a traditional TE in our system as the #2. Zach Ertz or Tyler Eifert come to mind as very solid options.

K- Akers is old.... I don't know what else I have to say to explain this one.

Drafting for Depth
These are the positions I would like to see us address for depth, but it will be hard for any drafted here to see the field (at least early on).

QB- Smith figures to be gone, and it wouldn't hurt to add somebody talented to the practice squad with a late round pick.

WR- Ginn contributes nothing, and Moss was never a long term solution there. I like the line-up of Crabtree, Manningham, Williams, and Jenkins and look forward to seeing them in the coming year(s). Most teams do carry at least 5 WRs, and you never know if Crabtree or Manningham will be resigned when their contracts are up in the next couple years. Not having a replacement ready for at least one would be a mistake. I think after the departure of Moss and Ginn, there will be a lot of opportunity for a young WR to make a case for playing time.

OT- Our back-up tackle on both sides is our starting right guard. Enough said.

SS- Whitner is awesome, but I don't trust our backups to come in and play at a high level if we ever had injury problems at either safety spot. (knock on wood)
_________________

MAC DRE wrote:
I'd rather have young Wagner and Wright going forward than Willis and Bowman.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rudyZ


Joined: 12 Mar 2007
Posts: 13454
Location: Québec
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SFaithful97 wrote:
Going through our roster and looking at upcoming free agents as well as those I see as likely to be cut due to salary, and I am starting to see a few different areas we will have to address either through FA or the draft, as well as a few we could (even though we might not need to). These are not in order.

CB- Rogers is making too much money to be our 3rd best corner, and at this point that is what he is. We will need to get a corner who can play the nickle position in the slot, or decide if we feel comfortable with Cully or Brown in that spot and have the newcomer play outside. Either way I don't think Cox is much better than a solid 4th CB, and in todays NFL you need a solid third CB to compete with the best passing attacks. Even if you like Cox there, I don't want Brock playing corner.

OLB- We are very strong at the top of the depth chart, but extremely thin. This team really would like to find a quality rotational guy to give Brooks and Smith a breather from time to time. A 3rd talented OLB would allow us to rotate guys in and out and keep our pass rushers fresh all game (and all season) long. While I agree it would be a luxury pick, it will not be a position we would avoid if the value is there when we pick.

DE- Justin Smith is getting older but he still has enough left in the tank to be one of the very best in the league for a couple years. This gives our FO an opportunity to go for a high potential guy that may not be ready from a physical standpoint to dominate the NFL. With a great DL coach in Tomsula, and a culture that has been great a maximizing the potential of our players recently, NFL readiness may not be so important in this spot.

NT- Either we resign Sopoaga (who may stay at a modest salary to finish his career here) or we need his replacement. I don't see anyone on our current roster who could provide what Sopoaga does, or really be effective in a starting role for that matter. There is a lot of quality NT talent in the top of the draft, so it will be interesting to see if that is where we go in the 1st. (can't go wrong with strengthening the trenches)

FS- I expect that Goldson is going to stick around, and that the FO is going to find the money to give him a deal. Until that is in writing though it is worth discussing, especially when our backup safety is CJ Spillman. I like Robinson, but at this point he isn't ready to start.

C- Goodwin has been playing much better this season, but even if you like him a lot as a player age is a factor here. We need to have somebody ready to step in who is capable of calling the protections for the line. Maybe one of our backups could be ready by next year, but I think we all want improvement at the C position.

TE- Delanie Walker figures to be let go, and his replacement could be found in the first few rounds of the draft. I personally would like to see a little bit more of a traditional TE in our system as the #2. Zach Ertz or Tyler Eifert come to mind as very solid options.

K- Akers is old.... I don't know what else I have to say to explain this one.

Drafting for Depth
These are the positions I would like to see us address for depth, but it will be hard for any drafted here to see the field (at least early on).

QB- Smith figures to be gone, and it wouldn't hurt to add somebody talented to the practice squad with a late round pick.

WR- Ginn contributes nothing, and Moss was never a long term solution there. I like the line-up of Crabtree, Manningham, Williams, and Jenkins and look forward to seeing them in the coming year(s). Most teams do carry at least 5 WRs, and you never know if Crabtree or Manningham will be resigned when their contracts are up in the next couple years. Not having a replacement ready for at least one would be a mistake. I think after the departure of Moss and Ginn, there will be a lot of opportunity for a young WR to make a case for playing time.

OT- Our back-up tackle on both sides is our starting right guard. Enough said.

SS- Whitner is awesome, but I don't trust our backups to come in and play at a high level if we ever had injury problems at either safety spot. (knock on wood)



I like your assessment, overall. But don't forget that we get Fleming back from injury, at OLB. He should be in the mix, with Cam Johnson too. I don't know that we would invest a high pick at that position. Probably much like last year, with Fleming, a mid to late rounder.

I think the obvious early round picks are on the DL, perhaps C and maybe a CB. The last few days of february will probably dictate how we draft. If we can't get Goldson under contract, we should keep Rogers (who is much more easily cuttable after 2013 than after this year), and look to draft a S early. If we can get Goldson locked up, then cutting Rogers (in spite of some dead money on the cap) could be a possibility.

Packaging draft picks together to move up in the first would be great, though. Imagine if we could get up to 15 and get a shot at Bjoern Werner...
_________________


RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
FG21_PW52


Joined: 06 Feb 2008
Posts: 4383
Location: 831, CA.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our top 3 picks SHOULD be DE, CB, C (or a G who can move over) but I know Stepfan will be had by a team in the top 2 rounds so I'd go

DE
Taylor
C
CB
S
LB
WR

Idk, its hard to think of what we may need because we are already very deep... but to the guy that said he would want the Honey Badger, do you honestly believe he would still be available in the 5th? I mean I like his potential a lot but I think he would go earlier just because of what he did at LSU...
_________________
INSERT COOL IMAGE HERE
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SFaithful97


Joined: 08 Mar 2007
Posts: 2975
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think Cam Johnson is going to amount to much in the NFL, but I did disregard Fleming. Even so, Haggans is likely gone. Do you really think that (or want) the FO would pass on a great OLB prospect if they felt he was BPA? I sure don't. Depending on how Kaep plays the rest of the season, here are the positions I see a 0% chance of us taking a first round prospect.

QB
RB
FB
OT
OG
ILB
K
P

Anything else is possible providing that the staff sees them as the BPA as far as I am concerned. I agree that OLB is the most debatable of the positions I left off the list, but you really can't have too many quality pass rushers.
_________________

MAC DRE wrote:
I'd rather have young Wagner and Wright going forward than Willis and Bowman.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rudyZ


Joined: 12 Mar 2007
Posts: 13454
Location: Québec
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SFaithful97 wrote:
I don't think Cam Johnson is going to amount to much in the NFL, but I did disregard Fleming. Even so, Haggans is likely gone. Do you really think that (or want) the FO would pass on a great OLB prospect if they felt he was BPA? I sure don't. Depending on how Kaep plays the rest of the season, here are the positions I see a 0% chance of us taking a first round prospect.

QB
RB
FB
OT
OG
ILB
K
P

Anything else is possible providing that the staff sees them as the BPA as far as I am concerned. I agree that OLB is the most debatable of the positions I left off the list, but you really can't have too many quality pass rushers.



I don't really think Cam Johnson will make it either, but since we've been rolling with only 3 OLBs the past 2 years, I guess a roster spot will be fought between Fleming and Johnson, and I expect Fleming to win. Oh, and don't forget that Haralson guy. He, too, will be back from injury.

Baalke's M.O. so far hasn't been to sit and take the BPA. He prefers to target players he want, and move up and done accordingly. This is a method that is perfect, considering the strength of our roster. It's also what makes our draft so difficult to predict. I believe we will eventually trade pick #32. Whether it's to move up or down remains to be seen.


Quote:
I believe we will eventually trade pick #32.



Yep, you see what I did there. Wink
_________________


RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
oldman9er


Joined: 24 Oct 2006
Posts: 40253
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there, struby3... still around? What ya think?


Via trade with the NYG..
With the #119 overall pick in the 2013 NFL Draft...
The San Francisco 49ers select....




C.J. Fiedorowicz shocks many as he declares a year early, and the Niners are all too happy to trade up and select him while they can. C.J. is the best blocking TE in this draft class, and has unusual athleticism for a man of his size. He will be well utilized in our run heavy scheme. He has the size, speed, and hands to be a receiving threat on top of that. C.J. is a threat for jump-balls, and is also good at finding the soft spots in coverage. He will frequently be on the field with Vernon Davis, and help cause problems for opposing defenses.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rudyZ


Joined: 12 Mar 2007
Posts: 13454
Location: Québec
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldman9er wrote:
Hey there, struby3... still around? What ya think?


Via trade with the NYG..
With the #119 overall pick in the 2013 NFL Draft...
The San Francisco 49ers select....




C.J. Fiedorowicz shocks many as he declares a year early, and the Niners are all too happy to trade up and select him while they can. C.J. is the best blocking TE in this draft class, and has unusual athleticism for a man of his size. He will be well utilized in our run heavy scheme. He has the size, speed, and hands to be a receiving threat on top of that. C.J. is a threat for jump-balls, and is also good at finding the soft spots in coverage. He will frequently be on the field with Vernon Davis, and help cause problems for opposing defenses.



OMie, if you want that guy on the team, don't make him your draft crush... or else he'll end up in the CFL.
_________________


RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
oldman9er


Joined: 24 Oct 2006
Posts: 40253
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:



OMie, if you want that guy on the team, don't make him your draft crush... or else he'll end up in the CFL.


LOLz, you iz probably right. Kinda doubt he declares anyway. Sounds like them Iowa boys stay for their Sr. years. He's not my draft crush anyway.. I am far more fond of Eifert or perhaps even Ertz. They iz doomed.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
y2lamanaki


Moderator
FF Fanatic
Joined: 03 Jan 2006
Posts: 10587
Location: Lancaster, PA
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldman9er wrote:
rudyZ wrote:



OMie, if you want that guy on the team, don't make him your draft crush... or else he'll end up in the CFL.


LOLz, you iz probably right. Kinda doubt he declares anyway. Sounds like them Iowa boys stay for their Sr. years. He's not my draft crush anyway.. I am far more fond of Eifert or perhaps even Ertz. They iz doomed.


I'm with you on the Eiffert train...though, the last time we both agreed on the top pick was Bowman, I think. Not lookin' good for him post-college Sad
_________________


Frank Gore Career Rushing List Tracker:

*Currently Ranked 22nd All-Time
*Yards needed to pass #21, Ricky Watters: 29
*Yards needed to enter Top 20: 354
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
oldman9er


Joined: 24 Oct 2006
Posts: 40253
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

y2lamanaki wrote:
oldman9er wrote:


I'm with you on the Eiffert train...though, the last time we both agreed on the top pick was Bowman, I think. Not lookin' good for him post-college Sad


... oh man... disaster awaits poor Tyler for certain now. He'll probably run a 5.7 and then get arrested for prostitution as a cracked out cross-dresser by April.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SoCalNiner


Moderator
Joined: 13 Nov 2007
Posts: 23278
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of good big TE prospects coming out. I'd be happy with Eifert or one of the Stanford guys.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
big9erfan


Joined: 26 Feb 2007
Posts: 14689
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
oldman9er wrote:
Should be a fun rematch game on tonight between UCLA and Stanford. Lots of prospects that we could be interested in.

Stanford's Chase Thomas.. Zach Ertz.. Levine Toilolo... Shane Skov...

UCLA's Joe Fauria.. Datone Jones.. Cassius Marsh.. Sheldon Price..

Stanford's power-run game and costly turnovers overwhelmed UCLA in their last meeting. Gonna enjoy seeing how they fair tonight. Smile


Skov is great, but we don't need any more LBs. I'm interested in getting another look in Ertz. Given Walker's hands this year and his contract situation TE might be on our list of wants for this draft.


Prophetic as his drop last week cost us the game. TE definitely on my list!
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 99, 100, 101  Next
Page 7 of 101

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group