Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2013 Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 42, 43, 44 ... 99, 100, 101  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rudyZ

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
rudyZ wrote:
big9erfan wrote:
49ers Finest wrote:
SoCalNiner wrote:
A lot of "expert" mocks have us picking Tavon Austin, WR, WVU in the 1st. What do you guys think about this pick? We just picked Jenkins last year, but I absolutely love what Austin can bring. I'm not sure I want him in the 1st though.

i would rather have a bigger receiver. we have so many smaller receiving options already.

+1. I've been saying this in a few forum threads. Size-wise KW, Jenkins, even Manningham are all in the same ballpark - and Austin is smaller than all of them. I think we need a big, tall, strong receiver to complement the guys we already have.

We need a tall TE. Even our TEs have little verticality. VD jumped a near 40" vertical jump at the combine, but with his hands never getting higher than his chin, it doesn't really count. Delanie is short too. The only receiver we had this year with any kind of jumping and extending ability was Crabtree. I think a TE with length and hops (and hands, for god's sake!) would bring more to our team than just a big receiver.

I agree with almost all of this. Would love a TE like that. But I still want a WR more. My reasoning is that VD is just so good that if we got a TE he'd be fighting with Delanie for playing time, and it seems our coaches lke Walker. So I just don't know that our team would be that much better. But rookie WRs often get to play. And with Moss and Ginn likely (in my mind) to be moving on, and Manningham and KW maybe slow to come bakc from their injuries, a very good new WR could make us better.

For me, drafting this year and next will be all about how we can make the team better and win that next SB, or two. While I certainly care about a few years from now, this opportunity is just too good, and too rare to do anything other than go all out to improve ourselves now.

My entire commentary was based on the premise of Delanie not re-signing with us. So yeah, if we re-sign Delanie, I don't see us drafting a TE. I think Celek should be in our plans for the next few years. I like what we have in him. My point is that a TE athletic enough becomes an extra receiver. The point we all have is to add a receiving option to the team. Does it really matter what position he plays, whether it's TE or WR? The point is to get the best possible option. If we lose Delanie, the best possible option we can add to our team would be a TE, as he would serve two purposes: 1) to play TE; 2) to be a receiving option. There are 4 or 5 TEs I feel would bring more to our team, as TE and receiving option, than most prospects at receiver. Why? Because you're far more likely to find an impact TE past the top half of the first than it is to find an impact WR. I just don't see a high impact receiver in this draft. Sure, all we need is a #2 WR. But if Manningham rehabs well and AJ progresses well, I don't see it as that big of a need. I don't want to draft a WR in the first just to end up with 3 #2s. I'm fine with drafting a WR later to round out the roster. But WR isn't a huge priority for me.

By letting go of Moss (presumably) and Ted Ginn, I feel we can get a decent second-tier FA WR. Not someone explosive or game-changing, but someone at least more reliable than Chad Hall, Joe Hastings and Brett Swain. And someone who is actually more of a receiver than Ginn. Is it too much to ask?

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
48 1/2ers

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are your guys thoughts on the NT hole we might have if Soap leaves? Is it gonna be RJF? who's on your radar for that spot?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

48 1/2ers wrote:
What are your guys thoughts on the NT hole we might have if Soap leaves? Is it gonna be RJF? who's on your radar for that spot?

Impending free agent NT Isaac Sopoaga's status with the 49ers may hinge on what happens with fellow free agent DT Ricky Jean-Francois.
Sopoaga has spent his entire nine-year career with the Niners. However, in 2012, he was phased out of the defense and only started nine games, making 27 tackles. Sopoaga would have to take a drastic pay cut from his 2012 salary of $3.8 million to return. Jean-Francois is younger and more versatile, and the team wants bring him back. He just isn't a realistic starting option on the nose.

roto.

I think if he is let go, NT is our number one priority imo. the 34 defense lives on having a good NT.

Does anyone here believe Sheldon Richardson can play the Nose?

edit: After doing tape study on Missouri DT Sheldon Richardson, NFL Network's Daniel Jeremiah compared Richardson's playing style to Bills NT Kyle Williams'.
Per ex-NFL scout Jeremiah, Richardson was "fun to watch" on film because he is "very quick" and "plays with a relentless motor." Williams was originally a fifth-round pick out of LSU, but has developed into one of the game's better 4-3 nose tackles. Richardson is more athletic than Williams and, of course, will be drafted much earlier. He's a shoo-in for the draft's first round.

roto.

culliver wrote:
14-2.

Losses @DEN @SEA

#1 seed

Superbowl
oldman9er

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

48 1/2ers wrote:

I think RJF can handle the job fine. I'd like us to re-sign him and have him focus completely on that NT spot. If we feel we can burn a pick on NT and like someone available? Someone to battle RJF and Ian W? Fine with me... maybe someone like Brandon Williams in the early 3rd.. or even a later rd pick.

I don't see Sheldon Richardson as a NT.

___
48 1/2ers

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldman9er wrote:
48 1/2ers wrote:

I think RJF can handle the job fine. I'd like us to re-sign him and have him focus completely on that NT spot. If we feel we can burn a pick on NT and like someone available? Someone to battle RJF and Ian W? Fine with me... maybe someone like Brandon Williams in the early 3rd.. or even a later rd pick.

I don't see Sheldon Richardson as a NT.

I was gonna mention him too he's a big dude...6'4 350! Shocked and 27 sacks in 4 seasons is beast too for a guy that big.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this Brandon Williams. I wouldn't mind it if we took him with our second round pick since we are at the bottom.

culliver wrote:
14-2.

Losses @DEN @SEA

#1 seed

Superbowl
49ers Finest

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i keep having this dream/thought that we trade with the colts to get right in front of seattle and grab datone jones

they screwed balke last year by taking irvin. and he doesnt give them a chance this year. i think its a good pick for them too with there lack of pass rush and clemons getting hurt so late. and its a great pick for us too

new sig... sorry alex
SoCalNiner

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you guys think of Harvin? Now that he's on the block, I'd like to make a move for him. It would cost a 2nd and a late pick, but I think it's worth it. He's an incredible talent, and one that I think Harbaugh could use in the pistol.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoCalNiner wrote:
What do you guys think of Harvin? Now that he's on the block, I'd like to make a move for him. It would cost a 2nd and a late pick, but I think it's worth it. He's an incredible talent, and one that I think Harbaugh could use in the pistol.

At first i was like hell yea, but recently i've been hearing alot about how Harvin is a diva always throwing fits in the locker room. I think we have the veterans with Vernon, Crabs, PWilly that can keep him under control but its still risky.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoCalNiner wrote:

I've heard the same things about his attitude. And if it's one thing we know, this team cares about how a guy is in the lockerroom, and what kind of team mate he is - as Brandon Jacobs found out. To me, as far as talent goes, he would be the perfect replacement for Ginn. Same kind of skills only probably better. So at a reasonable price, I'd love him - if he's got the right kind of makeup to fit this team's personality.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:
big9erfan wrote:
rudyZ wrote:
big9erfan wrote:
49ers Finest wrote:
SoCalNiner wrote:
A lot of "expert" mocks have us picking Tavon Austin, WR, WVU in the 1st. What do you guys think about this pick? We just picked Jenkins last year, but I absolutely love what Austin can bring. I'm not sure I want him in the 1st though.

i would rather have a bigger receiver. we have so many smaller receiving options already.

+1. I've been saying this in a few forum threads. Size-wise KW, Jenkins, even Manningham are all in the same ballpark - and Austin is smaller than all of them. I think we need a big, tall, strong receiver to complement the guys we already have.

We need a tall TE. Even our TEs have little verticality. VD jumped a near 40" vertical jump at the combine, but with his hands never getting higher than his chin, it doesn't really count. Delanie is short too. The only receiver we had this year with any kind of jumping and extending ability was Crabtree. I think a TE with length and hops (and hands, for god's sake!) would bring more to our team than just a big receiver.

I agree with almost all of this. Would love a TE like that. But I still want a WR more. My reasoning is that VD is just so good that if we got a TE he'd be fighting with Delanie for playing time, and it seems our coaches lke Walker. So I just don't know that our team would be that much better. But rookie WRs often get to play. And with Moss and Ginn likely (in my mind) to be moving on, and Manningham and KW maybe slow to come bakc from their injuries, a very good new WR could make us better.

For me, drafting this year and next will be all about how we can make the team better and win that next SB, or two. While I certainly care about a few years from now, this opportunity is just too good, and too rare to do anything other than go all out to improve ourselves now.

My entire commentary was based on the premise of Delanie not re-signing with us. So yeah, if we re-sign Delanie, I don't see us drafting a TE. I think Celek should be in our plans for the next few years. I like what we have in him. My point is that a TE athletic enough becomes an extra receiver. The point we all have is to add a receiving option to the team. Does it really matter what position he plays, whether it's TE or WR? The point is to get the best possible option. If we lose Delanie, the best possible option we can add to our team would be a TE, as he would serve two purposes: 1) to play TE; 2) to be a receiving option. There are 4 or 5 TEs I feel would bring more to our team, as TE and receiving option, than most prospects at receiver. Why? Because you're far more likely to find an impact TE past the top half of the first than it is to find an impact WR. I just don't see a high impact receiver in this draft. Sure, all we need is a #2 WR. But if Manningham rehabs well and AJ progresses well, I don't see it as that big of a need. I don't want to draft a WR in the first just to end up with 3 #2s. I'm fine with drafting a WR later to round out the roster. But WR isn't a huge priority for me.

By letting go of Moss (presumably) and Ted Ginn, I feel we can get a decent second-tier FA WR. Not someone explosive or game-changing, but someone at least more reliable than Chad Hall, Joe Hastings and Brett Swain. And someone who is actually more of a receiver than Ginn. Is it too much to ask?

Can't really argue with that. I was on the Fleener bandwagon last year for all the reasons you mentioned. But the only guy I see this year with that kind of talent is Eifert.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that big on Ertz Big9erFan?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frisco$finest wrote:
J-ALL-DAY wrote:
Quote:
Daniel Jeremiah ‏@MoveTheSticks
49ers would seem like a good landing spot for Harvin…He would be a weapon in that offense and the 49ers have a zillion draft picks.

Would rather have Percy than drafting Austin considering we would probably have to use our 1st for Austin. We would prob get Harvin for our 2nd.

Nah, I would rather have a DL or TE or even OLB or S in the 1st. Drafting yet ANOTHER WR in the 1st would make me feel a little bit like Matt Millen was picking... Evil or Very Mad (Did that already in '09 and '12!) Also, I think Harvin is much too fragile. Migraines combined with some of the injuries he has had? No thanks.
Chrissooner49er

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AT49ers wrote:
my kinda mock draft

1. Matt Elam, S, Flordia/ Xavier Rhodes, CB, Florida State University - I really liked both of these dude, and im betting that only one of them will fall to us. if they are both their at 31 then we go with Elam because he is a hard hitting ball hawking beast and i love the way he plays. that said Rhodes is an instant shutdown corner who i believe could lock down some of the best WR in the league.

2. Jordan Poyer, CB- assuming we take Matt in the first then we should take poyer here. He's not as lengthy as the other CB in this draft but he is a play maker, something i feel we lack in our secondary. he could match up against the Randall Cobb and Percy Harvin's of this world.

3. Aaron Dobson, WR, Marshall- ripping this pick straight from WalterFootball. He's big he's bad and he can catch (as we all know) sounds like a deal to me!

3. Joe Kruger, DE, Utah- Justin Smith's secret bastard child, He is a STEAL, give him a year or two and watch, i am seriously excited about this kid. please, please bring him to San Fran.

I might update this more later.

One of my favs in this draft, but I don't think he will be there in the 3rd. If not taken in the late 1st, I believe he will be gone by the mid 2nd round.
Chrissooner49er

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:
big9erfan wrote:
49ers Finest wrote:
SoCalNiner wrote:

I prefer Zach Ertz over Toilolo. More consistent, dependable and tough.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 42, 43, 44 ... 99, 100, 101  Next
Page 43 of 101

Jump to: