Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2013 Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 99, 100, 101  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
757-NINER

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kikuchiyo wrote:
rudyZ wrote:
757-NINER wrote:
SoCalNiner wrote:
757-NINER wrote:
SoCalNiner wrote:

I wouldn't mind if we used a 4th on him at all, we have 4 picks prior to that anyways. I understand all his red flags and everything, but there's no denying the talent is there. What intrigues me the most is that I think he could be that slot corner that we need so bad.

I'm curious as to why you feel we need a slot CB "so bad"? We improved to 4th against the pass this year, our highest ranking season in that category since the 90's. And were # 2 for the majority of the year before we gave up big days to Brady and Russell Wilson in weeks 15 and 16. I know a lot ppl feel like Rogers has lost a step from last year and he hasn't been as consistent. But I still think were better than most in that department. And I like the depth we have in a young guy like Cox, who I was high on when he played for Denver as a rookie.

I think we always need to draft for depth and talent in the secondary but I don't really see it as a 'need' at this point.

Rogers has been beaten by quicker receivers, and has lost a step from last year. Last year was a career year for him, so I didn't expect him to match it, but he wasn't close to the same guy imo. We need to start looking for a guy to take over, and a guy who can learn from Rogers. Rogers is a very smart player, but he's just not as quick as he used to be.

Aside from Amendola, I think Rogers has done a good job covering the slot this year. He's allowed some catches but there's only one true shutdown CB in this league. The rest will give up there fair share of completions, depending on the match-up. If covering the slot was all about quickness, Terrell Brown would be a great nickelback. But its more about technique, anticipation and experience, like knowing what side your help is coming from and things like that. And I probably like Cox a little bit more than most, so even if Rogers is a cap casulaty as some are speculating, I have no problem with the Cully, Brown, and Cox trio as 3 top CBs heading into next year. But depth is always paramount, so I expect us to draft one or two CBs this year. Especailly if they don't tender Brock.

He also had problems against... Randall Cobb..

He didnt cover Cobb in week 1. Parrish Cox did.

No, that's not correct either. The first game, they lined Cobb up in the backfield almost exclusively, so it was either Bowman or Willis responsibility, depending on the defense, to cover Cobb in man situations. Mainly Bowman though because he usually takes the RBs in man coverage, Willis takes the TEs. He was essentially a WR lining up as a RB. It was good scheme design by GB. They knew no LB could deal with Cobb in open space. And that was a way to force a LB to cover him...they knew what our responsibilities were when we go man.

But last night, Fangio adjusted. We brought Cox in and lined him up next to Bowman in our dime package. When they lined up Cobb in the backfield, Cox spied him and was responsible for him in coverage. And it worked.
big9erfan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:
big9erfan wrote:
oldman9er wrote:
We have been reading year after year how Franky G is breaking down... and yet his play continues to dismiss that notion. I think Gore has at least two good years left in him... especially if he's averaging 20 or less carries per game.

Also agree with adamq on Hunter and LMJ being an effective combo. With a pretty deep RB class and us having loads of later picks, I can see us drafting that late rounder that slips farther than expected... don't even think that we need to though.

i know what you mean. But you've got to wonder how AP or even a guy like Lynch would do behind the line we have now.

I'm not thinking of a high pick for a RB. But wouldn't mind a mid to low round pick of a guy that's quite a bit bigger than Hunter and James. It seems like every year there are a few good RBs picked late in the draft.

Jewel Hampton might be that guy.

Could be. We'll see if he can beat out Dix next year. I guess we'll also see what management thinks depending on whether they draft a RB or not.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
rudyZ wrote:
big9erfan wrote:
oldman9er wrote:
We have been reading year after year how Franky G is breaking down... and yet his play continues to dismiss that notion. I think Gore has at least two good years left in him... especially if he's averaging 20 or less carries per game.

Also agree with adamq on Hunter and LMJ being an effective combo. With a pretty deep RB class and us having loads of later picks, I can see us drafting that late rounder that slips farther than expected... don't even think that we need to though.

i know what you mean. But you've got to wonder how AP or even a guy like Lynch would do behind the line we have now.

I'm not thinking of a high pick for a RB. But wouldn't mind a mid to low round pick of a guy that's quite a bit bigger than Hunter and James. It seems like every year there are a few good RBs picked late in the draft.

Jewel Hampton might be that guy.

Could be. We'll see if he can beat out Dix next year. I guess we'll also see what management thinks depending on whether they draft a RB or not.

I think it was a pretty telling sign, when we signed him onto the roster. The FO seemed to be afraid some team would pick him, and prefered "wasting" a roster spot to make sure we keep him, even though we weren't going to play him.

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
big9erfan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heard Ted Robinson on the radio this morning saying the 9ers might put a priority on receivers with good hands. I believe one reason that Crabs gets targeted so much is because he's the only guy on the team with truly good hands, and the only guy who can consistently haul in some of those lasers Kap throws. Imagine if we had another WR with hands like Crabs. Imagine if we had a TE like Gonzales in his prime, or Gates, or Gronk or Graham these days. And I still think James is going to become a special threat swinging out of the backfield, or maybe even spread wide on occasion (anyone remember how we used to spread Hearst out wide?).

If Kap has to take something off his throws just so one of our guys can catch it then it increases the chance of a defender recovering against an open receiver and takes away the step the receiver might have that allows him to get some nice YAC.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mario, if he's back healthy, has pretty good hands. We miss him, really. We need a great hand-catching TE, that's for sure. Our #1 and #2 TEs are body-catchers, and not even some of the best. I still believe in AJ. I was thrown to once this year, and dropped it. Given more chances, he'll catch a few and his confidence will grow. He has very good hands. He just needs to work on his route-running (would be great if Crabtree took him under his wing, like Bruce did with him). With Crab, Rio and AJ, I think we're good. Add a good pass-catching TE to complement VD, and we're even better.

Was I the only one who was pleasantly surprised by the tough catches Moss made in the first half? There was one he caught and got tackled by two guys, I was sure he'd drop it, but he held on. That guy wants his superbowl ring. Let's give him one, along with Gore and Justin. I can't help wishing the veterans their ring. The young guys, they have many years to try to get it. But a guy like Gore who had to play through the bad years, terrible coaches, injuries (few RBs have ever had to deal through more injuries than Frank, if we include his college days), I really want him to win it.

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
757-NINER

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:
Mario, if he's back healthy, has pretty good hands. We miss him, really. We need a great hand-catching TE, that's for sure. Our #1 and #2 TEs are body-catchers, and not even some of the best. I still believe in AJ. I was thrown to once this year, and dropped it. Given more chances, he'll catch a few and his confidence will grow. He has very good hands. He just needs to work on his route-running (would be great if Crabtree took him under his wing, like Bruce did with him). With Crab, Rio and AJ, I think we're good. Add a good pass-catching TE to complement VD, and we're even better.

Was I the only one who was pleasantly surprised by the tough catches Moss made in the first half? There was one he caught and got tackled by two guys, I was sure he'd drop it, but he held on. That guy wants his superbowl ring. Let's give him one, along with Gore and Justin. I can't help wishing the veterans their ring. The young guys, they have many years to try to get it. But a guy like Gore who had to play through the bad years, terrible coaches, injuries (few RBs have ever had to deal through more injuries than Frank, if we include his college days), I really want him toUsuallt.

MM had his knee injury so late, its hard to see him ready for the 2013. Usually it takes humans who are not Adrian Peterson at least two years to return to form. So I defintely think WR is on our radar early. Some guys I like are Justin Hunter, Corradalle Patterson, Corey Fuller, and Deandre Hopkins if he decides to declare.
48 1/2ers

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:

Was I the only one who was pleasantly surprised by the tough catches Moss made in the first half? There was one he caught and got tackled by two guys, I was sure he'd drop it, but he held on. That guy wants his superbowl ring. Let's give him one, along with Gore and Justin. I can't help wishing the veterans their ring. The young guys, they have many years to try to get it. But a guy like Gore who had to play through the bad years, terrible coaches, injuries (few RBs have ever had to deal through more injuries than Frank, if we include his college days), I really want him to win it.

I was very impressed with Moss last sunday, I could see us bringing him back if we don't draft another receiver high.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know what the 49ers cap might look like this offseason?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NinerNation21 wrote:
Anyone know what the 49ers cap might look like this offseason?

Quote:
As of now, the 49ers have just over $120.594M in committed salaries for the 2013 season. If the cap is $121M,, credit of $1.643M, and carryover are added, they would have a little over $3.273M in cap room.

http://www.ninercaphell.com/salary

Not gonna have loads to throw around... but there are things we can do. We should look to restructure Justin's high 2013 salary... and then there's always the subtraction of Alex's that is inevitable. Akers will have to restructure or be released. I can see Haralson being released. We could save a couple mil more if we dump Carlos Rogers and his undeserving contract... but that dead money might make them decide to keep him around a little longer.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

757-NINER wrote:
Kikuchiyo wrote:
rudyZ wrote:
757-NINER wrote:
SoCalNiner wrote:
757-NINER wrote:
SoCalNiner wrote:

I wouldn't mind if we used a 4th on him at all, we have 4 picks prior to that anyways. I understand all his red flags and everything, but there's no denying the talent is there. What intrigues me the most is that I think he could be that slot corner that we need so bad.

I'm curious as to why you feel we need a slot CB "so bad"? We improved to 4th against the pass this year, our highest ranking season in that category since the 90's. And were # 2 for the majority of the year before we gave up big days to Brady and Russell Wilson in weeks 15 and 16. I know a lot ppl feel like Rogers has lost a step from last year and he hasn't been as consistent. But I still think were better than most in that department. And I like the depth we have in a young guy like Cox, who I was high on when he played for Denver as a rookie.

I think we always need to draft for depth and talent in the secondary but I don't really see it as a 'need' at this point.

Rogers has been beaten by quicker receivers, and has lost a step from last year. Last year was a career year for him, so I didn't expect him to match it, but he wasn't close to the same guy imo. We need to start looking for a guy to take over, and a guy who can learn from Rogers. Rogers is a very smart player, but he's just not as quick as he used to be.

Aside from Amendola, I think Rogers has done a good job covering the slot this year. He's allowed some catches but there's only one true shutdown CB in this league. The rest will give up there fair share of completions, depending on the match-up. If covering the slot was all about quickness, Terrell Brown would be a great nickelback. But its more about technique, anticipation and experience, like knowing what side your help is coming from and things like that. And I probably like Cox a little bit more than most, so even if Rogers is a cap casulaty as some are speculating, I have no problem with the Cully, Brown, and Cox trio as 3 top CBs heading into next year. But depth is always paramount, so I expect us to draft one or two CBs this year. Especailly if they don't tender Brock.

No, that's not correct either. The first game, they lined Cobb up in the backfield almost exclusively, so it was either Bowman or Willis responsibility, depending on the defense, to cover Cobb in man situations. Mainly Bowman though because he usually takes the RBs in man coverage, Willis takes the TEs. He was essentially a WR lining up as a RB. It was good scheme design by GB. They knew no LB could deal with Cobb in open space. And that was a way to force a LB to cover him...they knew what our responsibilities were when we go man.

But last night, Fangio adjusted. We brought Cox in and lined him up next to Bowman in our dime package. When they lined up Cobb in the backfield, Cox spied him and was responsible for him in coverage. And it worked.

Go back and watch it again. Cox was on Cobb almost all game. Bow and Pat split duty on Jermichael.

A Big Thanks To PatsDynasty21
NinerNation21

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anyone wondering our draft pick situation here's s break down by maiocco

http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/matt-maiocco/49ers-have-stock-piled-plenty-2013-draft-picks

He says we could get a compensatory 3rd rounder. Anyone know who this would be for?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

757-NINER wrote:
rudyZ wrote:

Was I the only one who was pleasantly surprised by the tough catches Moss made in the first half? There was one he caught and got tackled by two guys, I was sure he'd drop it, but he held on. That guy wants his superbowl ring. Let's give him one, along with Gore and Justin. I can't help wishing the veterans their ring. The young guys, they have many years to try to get it. But a guy like Gore who had to play through the bad years, terrible coaches, injuries (few RBs have ever had to deal through more injuries than Frank, if we include his college days), I really want him toUsuallt.

MM had his knee injury so late, its hard to see him ready for the 2013. Usually it takes humans who are not Adrian Peterson at least two years to return to form. So I defintely think WR is on our radar early. Some guys I like are Justin Hunter, Corradalle Patterson, Corey Fuller, and Deandre Hopkins if he decides to declare.
Deandre Hopkins is my favorite wr in this years draft. size speed, agility, jumping ability and hands.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kikuchiyo wrote:
757-NINER wrote:
Kikuchiyo wrote:
rudyZ wrote:
757-NINER wrote:
SoCalNiner wrote:
757-NINER wrote:
SoCalNiner wrote:

Go back and watch it again. Cox was on Cobb almost all game. Bow and Pat split duty on Jermichael.

I will, to be certain but if my memory serves me correc, Cox was on Cobb only when we were in dime. In base sets or nickel, with Cobb in the backfield, I remember him being covered by a LB.
Psychlone

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NinerNation21 wrote:

http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/matt-maiocco/49ers-have-stock-piled-plenty-2013-draft-picks

He says we could get a compensatory 3rd rounder. Anyone know who this would be for?
Snyder, given his contract and the fact that he "played" all year Laughing
Steal of the century if this works out and part of the reason why Rod Graves justifiably lost his job...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Psychlone wrote:
NinerNation21 wrote:

Snyder, given his contract and the fact that he "played" all year Laughing
Steal of the century if this works out and part of the reason why Rod Graves justifiably lost his job...

That's fantastic Laughing

So I'm assuming its the 33rd pick?

I'm starting to get into mock mode. I'm holding off until after the season ends but the thoughts are already creeping in my head.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 99, 100, 101  Next
Page 20 of 101

Jump to: