Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Week 2: Texans vs. Jaguars GDT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who Wins It?
Houston by a lot (10+)
57%
 57%  [ 8 ]
Houston barely (1-9)
21%
 21%  [ 3 ]
Jackonsville barely (1-9)
14%
 14%  [ 2 ]
Jacksonville by a lot (10+)
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 14

lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CAS22 wrote:
amazingandre wrote:
James is TERRIBLE, not too happy we got rid of Ryans, but it is what it is, ILB may be a high priority next off season

We have to hope and pray for Manti Te'o in the draft. Him and Cushing in the middle would be ridiculous.

No way we get Te'o. Cause he'd be a 2 down linebacker and they arnt a 1st round value IBM the 3-4. I wish we would of drafted Kendricks from Cal oh well will grad a gay in the 3rd next year since we should have 2 3rd's
amazingandre

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacobys Homey wrote:
The complaining about the offense is ignorant. Especially lines pertaining to, "against elite offenses it won't work." As if the NFL allows for preseason-esque games in the season where every team has talent. We weren't playing an elite offense today, we didn't need to attempt passing downfield when they were giving us everything underneath. Did y'all see the time of possession differential? God, it was beautiful.

Also, even if we are playing elite offenses, if our defense plays the way it played today, we won't need to score that many points.

And one more final point to get this through, y'all act as if this "kind of offense" doesn't put up points. What was it, 34?! When playing elite offenses, it is much better to score on a 10 minute drive than a 3 minute drive. If they let you march down the field, do it. A few years ago it would be complaining over not being able to move the ball, not it is fans are unhappy the way we are scoring 34 points.

ugh here we go, the problem is not the fact that we did not call plays to throw it down field, because we did, the problem is we did not successfully complete a medium or deep ball. Their secondary is not that good, so to have no one open enough to even ATTEMPT a shot down field is something that is a negative, no one here is crying that we're doomed, so quit acting like it. Its a negative from the game simple as that, our run game was a negative last week but we had 2 rush tds and almost 100 yards, but it was still a negative
bunnyracin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumberjackchris wrote:
CAS22 wrote:
amazingandre wrote:
James is TERRIBLE, not too happy we got rid of Ryans, but it is what it is, ILB may be a high priority next off season

We have to hope and pray for Manti Te'o in the draft. Him and Cushing in the middle would be ridiculous.

No way we get Te'o. Cause he'd be a 2 down linebacker and they arnt a 1st round value IBM the 3-4. I wish we would of drafted Kendricks from Cal oh well will grad a gay in the 3rd next year since we should have 2 3rd's

Sharpton should be a lot better than James if fully healthy. So maybe by mid season we wont be complaining about this when James is replaced

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazingandre wrote:
Their secondary is not that good
I firmly disagree with this. That's a very good group, even if they were missing the star of the secondary. The Texans did the right thing and took the passes that picked on the problem area of the defense. It was a well designed, smart performance.

The road to success is always under construction - Gus Bradley
#JagsOnly
jargin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We ran the ball very effectively today. We didn't turn the ball over. We played historically good defense. We are 2-0. On to the next one. Gonna post the next GDT tomorrow at some point.

[quote="amazingandre"]Do me a favor and never quote me again[/quote]
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to say, good game fellas. You will hear some jags fans complain about not having Derek Cox and Daryl Smith(which would have HELPED), but there are a ton of other guys who need to learn how to tackle. Your running game is fierce and keeping those 2 guys fresh should be priority #1. Schaub can win you games, but you dont need him to. Plus your defense is the best in the AFC, maybe even the NFL.

Good luck later on guys

Victor Cruz Pun wrote:
BornToFly wrote:
Yes, I went to high school with Tony Romo

Did he do good on the homework and quizzes but choke on the tests?
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazingandre wrote:
Jacobys Homey wrote:
The complaining about the offense is ignorant. Especially lines pertaining to, "against elite offenses it won't work." As if the NFL allows for preseason-esque games in the season where every team has talent. We weren't playing an elite offense today, we didn't need to attempt passing downfield when they were giving us everything underneath. Did y'all see the time of possession differential? God, it was beautiful.

Also, even if we are playing elite offenses, if our defense plays the way it played today, we won't need to score that many points.

And one more final point to get this through, y'all act as if this "kind of offense" doesn't put up points. What was it, 34?! When playing elite offenses, it is much better to score on a 10 minute drive than a 3 minute drive. If they let you march down the field, do it. A few years ago it would be complaining over not being able to move the ball, not it is fans are unhappy the way we are scoring 34 points.

ugh here we go, the problem is not the fact that we did not call plays to throw it down field, because we did, the problem is we did not successfully complete a medium or deep ball. Their secondary is not that good, so to have no one open enough to even ATTEMPT a shot down field is something that is a negative, no one here is crying that we're doomed, so quit acting like it. Its a negative from the game simple as that, our run game was a negative last week but we had 2 rush tds and almost 100 yards, but it was still a negative

From what I heard today from Matt Schaub, the offensive gameplan as a whole was designed to keep it short and simple, and use the run game. Going into the game, we knew Daryl Smith wasn't available, and the Jags D is predicated on the two guys up front - Tyson Alualu and Terrance Knighton. If left unchecked, they can do some damage up front, so we countered by using a LOT of screens and counters - plays designed to get these two guys moving laterally, in an attempt to tire them out quickly. Once these two guys were winded, it was back to the ground and pound, just run right at the two when their legs felt like rubber and they were gasping for air.

Matt went on to say there was a play (It was a 3rd and 7, on the 18 play TD drive) where he did call a downfield shot, and was confident it would be there; He looked at the pre-read and practically saw AJ scoring on the play. However, the Jags jumped offside unabated, the Texans got a free five yards out of the call, and they went with Foster up the gut for two yards and the first down.

This game plan isn't exactly a recipie for exciting football - heck, our biggest playmaker wasn't really in this game for the most part. But if you have a gameplan that is very low risk and can take the teeth away of an opposing D such as our gameplan had, who really needs exciting football?

iPwn, Kempes and Flaccomania: The official sig makers for THE ET80!
kenney

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen anyone comment on the fact that Caldwell is already losing his job to Ben Jones. Jones made the right side viable yesterday.

On that note, as well, I have to say that I've disagreed with all of your first-two-game-assessments so far. I think Newton has been very solid. Caldwell's been abysmal. Newton has looked competent in pass pro and I think with a proper guard next to him, is fine in the running game.

Last week's run troubles were MUCH more attributable to Wade Smith and Antoine Caldwell.

Kenney>Everyone else on here
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenney wrote:
I haven't seen anyone comment on the fact that Caldwell is already losing his job to Ben Jones. Jones made the right side viable yesterday.

I heard them talking about it yesterday, and I wanna see one more week before I claim it as the best possible solution for our RG situation. As stated earlier, our gameplan rotated around getting the Jags big boys running from sideline to sideline, getting the DL to tire out, then plowing the road. Was Jones' performance yesterday an indication that he's that good at RG, or is it an indication that our gameplan went as planned and Alualu/Pot Roast were gassed?

Not sure, to be honest. Will wait and see next week against the Broncos.

lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
kenney wrote:

I heard them talking about it yesterday, and I wanna see one more week before I claim it as the best possible solution for our RG situation. As stated earlier, our gameplan rotated around getting the Jags big boys running from sideline to sideline, getting the DL to tire out, then plowing the road. Was Jones' performance yesterday an indication that he's that good at RG, or is it an indication that our gameplan went as planned and Alualu/Pot Roast were gassed?

I think it's more of a lets keep them both fresh and it obviously worked. I dont think Jones is big enough to be a full time guard so this is the best of both worlds.
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumberjackchris wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
kenney wrote:

I think it's more of a lets keep them both fresh and it obviously worked. I dont think Jones is big enough to be a full time guard so this is the best of both worlds.

I think there is more to it. The coaching staff has never been sold on Caldwell who's effort lags at times. Ben Jones played every 3rd series yesterday, and I bet it's up to 50/50 job share this week. Size is a non issue as he's only a few lbs lighter than Wade Smith and athleticism will matter even more against the Broncs than this week. Jones played the 17 play / 80 yard series that was our best of the season and sealed this game. Let's face it, Caldwell is a free agent this year as well and if continuity is key, we might as well get the line solidified for the future as it becomes clearer that Caldwell just isn't the guy long-term. Got the sense they really wanted Brandon Brooks to win this gig, but he's just not there physically or mentally while Jones is. Newton had a better game, but he did have a bad false start penalty and it's not like Dumervil or Miller were coming after him. I have been a bit surprised to see Andrew Gardner inactive the first two weeks, but clearly Ryan Harris stepped straight in as #3 T.

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
Marco79

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/09/17/refo-texans-jaguars-week-2/

Quote:
While they may have not been up against an elite quarterback and receiver combo, the Texans’ defensive backs had a solid outing in pass coverage. Allowing just nine receptions for 76 yards through the air as a group, they were always close to the Jaguars receivers. The team’s 2010 first-round draft pick Kareem Jackson (+1.3) was the most impressive of the bunch and while he never got his hands on a pass, he was still able to stay close enough to the receiver to force two of the three incompletions thrown into his coverage. Through the first two weeks of the season he has allowed just 60 yards through the air, looking like a much improved player from his first two years in the league.

I called it before the season that this was the year he was going to breakout and so far I am looking right. Yes he has faced lesser competition but he has still performed like he should against them. Manning this week will be a big test, but if he can keep up this level of play our defense will be scary good. If only we could get rid of Bradie James somehow. Hopefully Daryl Sharpton comes back 100% and plays like he did last year before he got injured.

Also JJ Watt is a monster.
Quote:
It’s only Week 2, and we’ve got an awful lot of football left to see, but you’ll struggle to find a better defensive player in the NFL right now than J.J. Watt (+8.Cool.

adopt-a-texan
ryan griffin, te: 2 receptions, 18 yards, 2 tackles
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marco79 wrote:
I called it before the season that this was the year he was going to breakout and so far I am looking right.

I called it around the Saints preseason game, when everyone was looking to crucify him for the TD to Lance Moore - Kareem does look better, he looks like he's a much faster player. There are still some awareness issues with him, and we have yet to play a QB who can exploit said awareness issues, but net/net...Kareem looks like a competent CB, someone who the team can rely on to be a solid contributor in the secondary.

Texans02

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
I called it around the Saints preseason game, when everyone was looking to crucify him for the TD to Lance Moore - Kareem does look better, he looks like he's a much faster player. There are still some awareness issues with him, and we have yet to play a QB who can exploit said awareness issues, but net/net...Kareem looks like a competent CB, someone who the team can rely on to be a solid contributor in the secondary.

If he becomes a reliable 2nd corner, I'd say we came out ahead drafting him. He was a pretty low pick in the 1st and a solid starter is a good return on that pick. CBs often take some time to adjust. So much for the "NFL ready" line we kept hearing when he was drafted though.

Yes please!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15
Page 15 of 15

Jump to: