Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

How I believe the Lions season will play out.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moparguy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:11 am    Post subject: How I believe the Lions season will play out. Reply with quote

First off I believe there will be considerable turn over. The Lions simply cant sign a large portion of their free agents. Also many players will have to take cuts to stay with the team.

First off there are 3 player I think the Lions absolutely need to sign before the free agency period starts.

1-Louis Delmas- I know about the injuries. But he really is the only difference maker in the entire secondary. I see him as a point guard who makes others around him play better.

2) Sammie Lee Hill- Without him the Lions tackle rotation is toast. IMHO he is underrated and some tackle deprived team will throw money at him (Jags Raiders etc).

3) Joique Bell- I thought he was the best Rb on the team this year. If best comes back he offers valuable depth, if not we would absolutely need him for big minutes.

The 3 RFA's Fox,Spivey and Young will be back regardless and are all valuable at least for depth purposes.

The only other Lions FA's Im at all interested in are Avril and Houston who I think will get better offers and Jackson and Osgood who I believe may be brought back for the right prices. Hanson is either a Lion or retired I dont think there is an in between.

Its pretty hard to project draft picks this early. But if these players can be drafted I think they solve a whole host of problems for the team

1) Jarvis Jones LB- I think his medical issue will scare the first couple of teams off. And I think one Qb will find his way above us to help push him down. To me he solves a ton of problems. He not only would fill in the LB core but would also give the Lions a good Blitzer (they have none now) and would allow them to cover TE's with a LB more instead of a SS as they have had to do this year.

2)-Barrett Jones OL- He gives you alot of options on where to play him. C, RG, and RT. They will need that kind of versatility going forward as I think the OL is going to have a major overhaul due to age, and cap hits.

3) T.J. McDonald S- The Lions desperately need a starter opposite Delmas. I dont see any way they can pay for better CB's. Better S play can seriously help with that problem. Its a pretty good S class this year and the Lions need to take advantage of it.

The other 3 pics (or 4 of they get a comp pic) its basically BPA with emphasis on RB,TE ( Heller walks) and secondary depth.

If this came to pass the team can cut Peterman and Raiola and have some insurance if Backus retires also. If they cant work things out with Young I think they have no choice but to bring back Burleson. I think Best will be able to make a go at it. I heard the retirement talk but he doesnt seem like he is going to give it up. And I dont see how a medical staff could stop him after almost 2 years. I think unless he takes a massive paycut Vanden Bosch has to go also.

They wont have alot of room to look for FA's but I would look at someone like Turk McBride. A player who knows the system and offers both DE and DT depth.

I also think Stafford restructures and extends but Suh doesnt.

So where does that leave the starting units?

WR1 Calvin WR2 Burleson TE Pettigrew Rb Best and Qb Stafford. Which is what you expect. The OL however (if Backus retires) would be

LT-Reiff RG- Sims C-Nagy RG-Jones RT-Fox.

On defense this to me is the best case scenerio

Dl- LE-Avril DT Fairley Dt Suh , DE-Jackson
Rotation SLH,R.Lewis,W. Young and Mcbride

Lb's- MLB-Tulloch OLB T-Lewis OLB J.Jones

CB Houston Cb Bentley FS Delmas and SS McDonald.

If Houston and Avril leave I think W.Young and Greenwood move to start.

KR/PR M. Thomas
K -Hanson
Punter- FA

Its hard to say how that Lineup works out. The OL would be a mystery (probably better at RB but worse at PB)

The D I think end up better overall by shoring up a couple of weak areas but in exchange having to depend on a group of unproven DE's

I know its long...but if you read this I would appreciate the comments
iLovetheLions

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im personally done with delmas.

If we ended up drafting both of the jones id be thrilled, not sure on mcdonald though

Sllim Pickens wrote:
There should be a thread for UM fans and GB fans to sit and talk about how amazing their teams are with each other.
Nnivolcm

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iLovetheLions wrote:

If we ended up drafting both of the jones id be thrilled, not sure on mcdonald though

How can you be done with Delmas but be up for drafting Jarvis Jones? I'm assuming you're not a fan of Delmas because he can't get or remain healthy, but Jones has a bigger red flag in the injury concerns department imo.

Team Stylish
Thanks to Smack for the sig!
stylish313

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nnivolcm wrote:
iLovetheLions wrote:

How can you be done with Delmas but be up for drafting Jarvis Jones? I'm assuming you're not a fan of Delmas because he can't get or remain healthy, but Jones has a bigger red flag in the injury concerns department imo.
Yeah, I've heard several posters make this argument against injury-prone players, and then in the next breath politick for Jarvis. Makes no sense
WE-R-Lions

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: How I believe the Lions season will play out. Reply with quote

Moparguy wrote:
First off I believe there will be considerable turn over. The Lions simply cant sign a large portion of their free agents. Also many players will have to take cuts to stay with the team.

First off there are 3 player I think the Lions absolutely need to sign before the free agency period starts.

1-Louis Delmas- I know about the injuries. But he really is the only difference maker in the entire secondary. I see him as a point guard who makes others around him play better.

2) Sammie Lee Hill- Without him the Lions tackle rotation is toast. IMHO he is underrated and some tackle deprived team will throw money at him (Jags Raiders etc).

3) Joique Bell- I thought he was the best Rb on the team this year. If best comes back he offers valuable depth, if not we would absolutely need him for big minutes.

The 3 RFA's Fox,Spivey and Young will be back regardless and are all valuable at least for depth purposes.

The only other Lions FA's Im at all interested in are Avril and Houston who I think will get better offers and Jackson and Osgood who I believe may be brought back for the right prices. Hanson is either a Lion or retired I dont think there is an in between.

Its pretty hard to project draft picks this early. But if these players can be drafted I think they solve a whole host of problems for the team

1) Jarvis Jones LB- I think his medical issue will scare the first couple of teams off. And I think one Qb will find his way above us to help push him down. To me he solves a ton of problems. He not only would fill in the LB core but would also give the Lions a good Blitzer (they have none now) and would allow them to cover TE's with a LB more instead of a SS as they have had to do this year.

2)-Barrett Jones OL- He gives you alot of options on where to play him. C, RG, and RT. They will need that kind of versatility going forward as I think the OL is going to have a major overhaul due to age, and cap hits.

3) T.J. McDonald S- The Lions desperately need a starter opposite Delmas. I dont see any way they can pay for better CB's. Better S play can seriously help with that problem. Its a pretty good S class this year and the Lions need to take advantage of it.

The other 3 pics (or 4 of they get a comp pic) its basically BPA with emphasis on RB,TE ( Heller walks) and secondary depth.

If this came to pass the team can cut Peterman and Raiola and have some insurance if Backus retires also. If they cant work things out with Young I think they have no choice but to bring back Burleson. I think Best will be able to make a go at it. I heard the retirement talk but he doesnt seem like he is going to give it up. And I dont see how a medical staff could stop him after almost 2 years. I think unless he takes a massive paycut Vanden Bosch has to go also.

They wont have alot of room to look for FA's but I would look at someone like Turk McBride. A player who knows the system and offers both DE and DT depth.

I also think Stafford restructures and extends but Suh doesnt.

So where does that leave the starting units?

WR1 Calvin WR2 Burleson TE Pettigrew Rb Best and Qb Stafford. Which is what you expect. The OL however (if Backus retires) would be

LT-Reiff RG- Sims C-Nagy RG-Jones RT-Fox.

On defense this to me is the best case scenerio

Dl- LE-Avril DT Fairley Dt Suh , DE-Jackson
Rotation SLH,R.Lewis,W. Young and Mcbride

Lb's- MLB-Tulloch OLB T-Lewis OLB J.Jones

CB Houston Cb Bentley FS Delmas and SS McDonald.

If Houston and Avril leave I think W.Young and Greenwood move to start.

KR/PR M. Thomas
K -Hanson
Punter- FA

Its hard to say how that Lineup works out. The OL would be a mystery (probably better at RB but worse at PB)

The D I think end up better overall by shoring up a couple of weak areas but in exchange having to depend on a group of unproven DE's

I know its long...but if you read this I would appreciate the comments

That's the best overall game plan for the Lions that I've seen so far in this early part of the season.

If Jones doesn't check out medically, I would expect us to take one of the top pass rushing DE's
DrRay11

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: How I believe the Lions season will play out. Reply with quote

WE-R-Lions wrote:
If Jones doesn't check out medically, I would expect us to take one of the top pass rushing DE's

He already hasn't checked out medically. He's already been told to quit. How is this a question?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: How I believe the Lions season will play out. Reply with quote

DrRay11 wrote:
WE-R-Lions wrote:

He already hasn't checked out medically. He's already been told to quit. How is this a question?

Because he's already been checked out medically...
stylish313

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: How I believe the Lions season will play out. Reply with quote

TheROARisBACK wrote:
DrRay11 wrote:
WE-R-Lions wrote:

So did Bowers. So did Best.
TheROARisBACK

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: How I believe the Lions season will play out. Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:
TheROARisBACK wrote:
DrRay11 wrote:
WE-R-Lions wrote:

His question was "how is this a question?" as if he had no knowledge that Jones was already cleared multiple times. Being so, he has a chance to be medically cleared at the combine. That is all.

I don't get the reference to Bowers if your trying to allude that just because a player's cleared doesn't mean anything. He played in all 16 games as a rookie. Tore his achilles the following off-season, but got activated Week 8 and played since.
stylish313

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: How I believe the Lions season will play out. Reply with quote

TheROARisBACK wrote:
stylish313 wrote:
TheROARisBACK wrote:
DrRay11 wrote:
WE-R-Lions wrote:

His question was "how is this a question?" as if he had no knowledge that Jones was already cleared multiple times. Being so, he has a chance to be medically cleared at the combine. That is all.

I don't get the reference to Bowers if your trying to allude that just because a player's cleared doesn't mean anything. He played in all 16 games as a rookie. Tore his achilles the following off-season, but got activated Week 8 and played since.
He still dropped to the 2nd, because teams new that although he was cleared for action, his degenerative condition would shorten his NFL career tremendously. Jarvis is facing the same situation, except he's not going into the off-season with an injury.

From my perspective, players such as Bowers, Best, Marcus McNeil and Jarvis Jones should be off-limits on our draft board.
iLovetheLions

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:
Nnivolcm wrote:
iLovetheLions wrote:

Yeah, I've heard several posters make this argument against injury-prone players, and then in the next breath politick for Jarvis. Makes no sense

yep i am done with delmas cause he cant stay healthy, and im not politicking for jones(although i did make a mock with us taking him) i just think hes a special special player at a position of need, to my knowledge jarvis has never missed a game due to this condition(which is hard to get a read on till the combine as there are conflicting reports on it), while delmas despite not having a medical flag like jarvis has proven he cannot stay healthy

Sllim Pickens wrote:
There should be a thread for UM fans and GB fans to sit and talk about how amazing their teams are with each other.
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:48 am    Post subject: Re: How I believe the Lions season will play out. Reply with quote

TheROARisBACK wrote:
stylish313 wrote:
TheROARisBACK wrote:
DrRay11 wrote:
WE-R-Lions wrote:

The reason Jones transferred to Georgia was because the USC Doctors wouldn't even clear him to practice.

There are no guarantee's about this young man's medical clearance.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iLovetheLions wrote:
stylish313 wrote:
Nnivolcm wrote:
iLovetheLions wrote:

yep i am done with delmas cause he cant stay healthy, and im not politicking for jones(although i did make a mock with us taking him) i just think hes a special special player at a position of need, to my knowledge jarvis has never missed a game due to this condition(which is hard to get a read on till the combine as there are conflicting reports on it), while delmas despite not having a medical flag like jarvis has proven he cannot stay healthy

Jones has a medically diagnosed condition. The condition was discovered by USC medical staff when he played for the Trojans and missed time due to a neck injury.

The USC medical staff would not clear him to play football. In fact they wouldn't clear him to practice. It was the lack of clearance that lead to his transfer to Georgia.

While Georgia Doctors cleared him it doesn't take away the fact he has a spinal condition which dictates he should not play football.

He is one wrong hit from never playing again and for a rebuilding team that risk simply isn't justified.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
Moparguy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diehardlionfan wrote:
iLovetheLions wrote:
stylish313 wrote:
Nnivolcm wrote:
iLovetheLions wrote:

Jones has a medically diagnosed condition. The condition was discovered by USC medical staff when he played for the Trojans and missed time due to a neck injury.

The USC medical staff would not clear him to play football. In fact they wouldn't clear him to practice. It was the lack of clearance that lead to his transfer to Georgia.

While Georgia Doctors cleared him it doesn't take away the fact he has a spinal condition which dictates he should not play football.

He is one wrong hit from never playing again and for a rebuilding team that risk simply isn't justified.

Honestly there are multiple kinds of spinal stenosis. Depending on the variety it has a very large change in risk. I think he is clearly the best player in the draft and plays a position of need.

As for Delmas, I cant prove it but I get the impression some of his injury problems are coming from over extending himself to make up for the utter lack of talent around him. Similar to how Backus used to get ripped relentlessly for trying to over compensate for the lack of a guard playing next to him. Since Sims has been here he has looked much more consistent overall. He wont ever make a pro bowl but he doesn't seem like a total basket case anymore.
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moparguy wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:
iLovetheLions wrote:
stylish313 wrote:
Nnivolcm wrote:
iLovetheLions wrote:

Honestly there are multiple kinds of spinal stenosis. Depending on the variety it has a very large change in risk. I think he is clearly the best player in the draft and plays a position of need.

As for Delmas, I cant prove it but I get the impression some of his injury problems are coming from over extending himself to make up for the utter lack of talent around him. Similar to how Backus used to get ripped relentlessly for trying to over compensate for the lack of a guard playing next to him. Since Sims has been here he has looked much more consistent overall. He wont ever make a pro bowl but he doesn't seem like a total basket case anymore.

There are many types of spinal stenosis. Because of the initial neck injury that lead to diagnosis it's a safe assumption he has cervical stenosis.

Regardless of the Georgia Doctors clearing him I am very nervous by the fact USC Doctors wouldn't clear him for contact of any sort. That's a huge red flag given the calibre of medical excellence at USC.

I wouldn't touch Jones in the first round, period. Drafting talent is difficult enough without gambling on players that have proven medical conditions.

There is a very dismissive attitude about medical conditions and leaving it up to Doctors. We saw that with Best and I really don't think the Lions need to venture down that road again.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: