Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Is it time to go to the RG3/Cam Newton offense?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Django

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:21 am    Post subject: Is it time to go to the RG3/Cam Newton offense? Reply with quote

Start running some option. Have Vick running the ball more. Start the play fakes that freeze the safety.

2 years ago I would have HATED that idea. I didnt want Vick to get hurt.

Well now Laughing

I honestly think they have to do something to run the ball better. They've been shot down 3 of the last 4 weeks.

Now Cam/RG3 have a combined 4 wins running that system so yea I know thats its not perfect.

But the Eagles have to get Vick out of this "pocket passer" mode. He's getting killed by the DLINE. Might as well take his chances against LBs/Safety's.

He's not a pocket passer. This frees up more running room for McCoy imo. Defenses will be worried about Vick keeping the ball.

Its a shame the Eagles have to resort to this, but I think they need to start running some option and some passing plays out of the option formation. It slows down the pass rush.

Lets be real. Vick isnt going last much longer as a pocket passer anyway with the punishment he takes. Might as well do something to limit the ints. And if Foles has to come in to run the traditional offense. So be it.

sidenote: I really wanted the Eagles to get RG3. I especially got happy when I heard Andy met him at the combine. I thought he would put the right amount of pressure on Vick. Lets be real as amazing as Foles looked in Preseason it took until August for Vick to feel pressure. RG3 would have provided pressure the day he was drafted. Again, there is no way the Eagles could have got him...but I'd like to have seen him an Eagle. I also see why Andy liked Russell Wilson so much. *sigh*
RainbowCarebear

Location: "Are you hungry, child?" Yes, she thought, but not for food.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would rather save Foles the punishment.

And it doesn't matter "What we should", Marty and Andy would never use the option, and you really want Vick who fumbles a ton in charge of having the option to keep it or pitch it?

"Do you imagine Whoresbane loves you any better? If you did not hold the ..., he would pull out your entrails and make you eat them"
"In return, we swore that we should always be their men"
Django

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Would rather save Foles the punishment.

And it doesn't matter "What we should", Marty and Andy would never use the option, and you really want Vick who fumbles a ton in charge of having the option to keep it or pitch it?

Lets look at Vick's lost fumbles.

1. Against the Ravens...which was more Bryce Brown's fault.

2. I'll give you the first against the Cardinals. He fumbled the ball while running.

3. Not him running. Its him holding the ball WAY too long.

4. Honestly I thought Ryan Clark layed a tremendous hit on Vick. Still shouldnt have fumbled though.

5. Eh. Pressure from the outside, stripped the ball away.

I think a slowed down pass rush will help Vick. He seems *focused* on not fumbling the football. Even though he did fumble a snap yesterday Laughing
RainbowCarebear

Location: "Are you hungry, child?" Yes, she thought, but not for food.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give Vick a chance, and he'll turn it over. But I doubt we would ever use the option like RG3 and Newton.

It's fine in college, but if you want a QB long term you shouldn't use him like that.

"Do you imagine Whoresbane loves you any better? If you did not hold the ..., he would pull out your entrails and make you eat them"
"In return, we swore that we should always be their men"
BLick12

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Give Vick a chance, and he'll turn it over. But I doubt we would ever use the option like RG3 and Newton.

It's fine in college, but if you want a QB long term you shouldn't use him like that.

Um, have you seen what happens to Vick each time he goes back to throw? AR and MM already apparently have a hit out for Vick what difference would it make if they just let him get hit running the option versus getting drilled each time in the pocket?

I posted this in the NFL Gen, and yes, I think they should run an offense that caters more to an elite running QB.

Another Ginger QB in the AFC North.

Looking forward to the "No Soul Bowl" twice a year
oland11

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if we run the option Mike Vick will get killed.
BLick12

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oland11 wrote:

See above post.

marky_b27

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oland11 wrote:

On that note, let's do it

Wink

The option had t really worked for cam this year. Why would it work for a beat up over 30 year old with a severe fumbling problem

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Marky > Foles
Phire

Location: #championchip #2012BirdsHoF #2012GoldStnd #YAKtoseIntolerant #Merica #TrollyRangers #Danes #BirdGang
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marky_b27 wrote:
oland11 wrote:

On that note, let's do it

Wink

The option had t really worked for cam this year. Why would it work for a beat up over 30 year old with a severe fumbling problem

This. And we can't even get roughing the passer because Vick would be a runner.

theuntouchable wrote:
Think about this phire. I am the real chow.

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Only for the quick and lucky.

Danish proverb 3:69
nlesthought

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We can't run option when we don't have the OL to block it. We don't have an OL full of maulers and road hogs who are strong @ the POA. I watched Washington and their read option. Its down hill hit the hole hard...then if they're crashing the QB is pulling it and either running option or getting outside.

Also from that they're running PA with WRs who make tough catches over the middle. The PA works because they pound it and make you react to that.

Add the fact that won't work all game, whats the point? I would love to see it incorporated but not the staple of the offense like Washington does.

psn: nlesthought l Peppers90 on the sig

Bird Watch '13 - Placekicker #6 - Alex 'the podiatrist' Henery.
22/27 LNG 51yds; 42 XPs; 1 KOR TD given up.
BLick12

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nlesthought wrote:
We can't run option when we don't have the OL to block it. We don't have an OL full of maulers and road hogs who are strong @ the POA. I watched Washington and their read option. Its down hill hit the hole hard...then if they're crashing the QB is pulling it and either running option or getting outside.

Also from that they're running PA with WRs who make tough catches over the middle. The PA works because they pound it and make you react to that.

Add the fact that won't work all game, whats the point? I would love to see it incorporated but not the staple of the offense like Washington does.

You don't need a terrific oline to run option. That is the beauty of it, at least two players go unblocked and have to make a conscious decision of who they are going to play (the ball carrier vs. the pitch man). I don't think anyone wants this to be the mainstay of our offense but when our running game is ineffective it could be a great change of pace.

nlesthought

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BLick12 wrote:
nlesthought wrote:

You don't need a terrific oline to run option. That is the beauty of it, at least two players go unblocked and have to make a conscious decision of who they are going to play (the ball carrier vs. the pitch man). I don't think anyone wants this to be the mainstay of our offense but when our running game is ineffective it could be a great change of pace.

at least two?...quite possible with this OL. All it does is increase the chance of McCoy or someone getting KO'd

psn: nlesthought l Peppers90 on the sig

Bird Watch '13 - Placekicker #6 - Alex 'the podiatrist' Henery.
22/27 LNG 51yds; 42 XPs; 1 KOR TD given up.
BLick12

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nlesthought wrote:
BLick12 wrote:
nlesthought wrote:

at least two?...quite possible with this OL. All it does is increase the chance of McCoy or someone getting KO'd

As opposed to now... where every play does the exact same thing.

NoHypeNeeded

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idk about straight running the option, but I don't understand why whatsoever has Vick pretty much stopped running. Outside of Sundays game against Detroit, he really hasn't run that much at all, which is something he needs to/should do.
BBIB

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not the running game they should model but the PASSING GAME.

RGIII is one of the most accurate QBs ever for a rookie, but a lot of his numbers in that department are helped by the type of passes they call. They get the ball out of his hands quickly into his receivers hands on bubble screens, crossing routes, etc.

THey don't always do 7 step drops even behind a better Oline.

And more than anything they RUN THE BALL.

Basically the gameplan the Eagles had vs the Giants, a team that looks more and more impressive as weeks go by.

The gamplan the Eagles had vs the Giants is the difference between 3-3 and 6-0 or 5-1 even with the blown leads by the defense.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: