Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Would you be okay if Emery got aggressive?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WindyCity

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:52 am    Post subject: Would you be okay if Emery got aggressive? Reply with quote

The Bears have 2 glaring needs on defence that will impact the 2014 season before he ball is snapped week 1, and that is S and DT.

These positions are still serious weaknesses after free agency. So I ask the question would you be upset if Emery moved aggressively to fill those 2 needs to with top talent?

An example

1[14] S Calvin Pryor [Louisville]

The Bears get a versatile safety with a ton if upside who starts week 1 of the season.

The Bears could trade 2[51], 4[117] and 2[2015] to move up as high as 29 if one of the top 4 DTs falls.

1[29] DT Louis Nix [[Notre Dame]

The Bears 2 biggest needs are filled by top talents that should start and provide immediate upgrades week 1 at their biggest positions of need.
IronMike84

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I maintain that the Bears could roll out a starting defensive line of Allen / Paea / Ratliff / Houston with Collins and Young in the mix if they absolutely had to.

Sending out a safety combo of Mundy/Steltz, Mundy/Jennings, or Mundy/Conte would be a disaster.

I don't know which pick will come when, but on paper there's more potential for disaster with a healthy safety depth chart than there is with an injury or two on the defensive line.
Sugashane

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be fine with it. I don't relish the idea of any of our current safeties being our starters, but with Pryor and Mundy I would feel better, and with Houston, Nix (NT), Ratliff (3T), and Allen we will be vastly improved against the run. Then with us kicking Houston in, pulling Nix, and throwing Young at DE for obvious passing situations we will do far better with pressures and sacks than last year too.
The march for 2,000 All Purpose Yards
IronMike84

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding getting aggressive, I think the fact that the starting lineup on offense is already set gives Emery an opportunity to get aggressive if he so chooses. This is a draft where as long as he lands quality players, it might be okay to try to move around a bit and end the draft with only five total selections.
DaMike

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldnt get aggressive for that.

Donald at 14 and moving up a bit for Pryor I could understand.
KG1187

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trading a future 2nd is too much of a win now move for a team who isn't quite ready for Super Bowl contention. Trading this years 3rd to move up in the second wouldn't be a bad idea for the right player. Pick Dix at 14 and say a Hagman, Tuitt, or Jernigan fell into the second round and you might have something.
GOGRIESE

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaMike wrote:
I couldnt get aggressive for that.

Donald at 14 and moving up a bit for Pryor I could understand.

That would be a better scenario

^^ props to Ty on the sig Smile

2013-Adopt A Bear- CB Tim Jennings #26
MonserinNC

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IronMike84 wrote:
I maintain that the Bears could roll out a starting defensive line of Allen / Paea / Ratliff / Houston with Collins and Young in the mix if they absolutely had to.

Sending out a safety combo of Mundy/Steltz, Mundy/Jennings, or Mundy/Conte would be a disaster.

I don't know which pick will come when, but on paper there's more potential for disaster with a healthy safety depth chart than there is with an injury or two on the defensive line.

I hear you but I dont get how Mundy/Rookie isnt less of a disaster unless he is an absolute homerun

BrotherlyLove wrote:
Cutler isn't sexy enough to be compared to sexy rexy, let's get real

Darrelle Revis wrote:
TEBOWSANITYMANIA
AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MonserinNC wrote:
IronMike84 wrote:

I hear you but I dont get how Mundy/Rookie isnt less of a disaster unless he is an absolute homerun

If the issue is that we have zero starting safeties in your eyes (or anyone else's for that matter) in a draft with probably only 3-4 safeties reasonably likely to be ready to start in week 1, then how do we NOT take a safety in the first round? We don't have an ideal situation at DT and can use additional talent there, but we are 3 deep in actual NFL players at DT (or 2 if you're in the crowd that thinks Collins should be a ball boy), and most mid-round DTs should at least be rotation players as rookies. Comparing that with the safety situation and that we'd be starting the season with no guys we are comfortable starting, which at safety means playing every single down, then how can you justify not taking a safety if there is even reasonably comparable value on the board? DT depth is always a concern but depth is never a bigger concern than starting players, especially when the starters are every down players.

GRRLacher wrote:
I told you guys AZ was awesome...he in fact makes triple the pay I get for moderating here.
DaMike

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MonserinNC wrote:
IronMike84 wrote:

This is such a deep S class. I think we can come away with two starters from this class with only day 3 picks. I love Haha in the first but I would pass on him because of how great the depth in this class is.
bearsfan323

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaMike wrote:
MonserinNC wrote:
IronMike84 wrote:

This is such a deep S class. I think we can come away with two starters from this class with only day 3 picks. I love Haha in the first but I would pass on him because of how great the depth in this class is.

I like both Pryor and Clinton-Dix. If HHCD is there, I hope he's the pick unless Emery trades down 3-6 spots and can still land him or Pryor.
AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaMike wrote:
MonserinNC wrote:
IronMike84 wrote:

Are you talking 2014 week 1 starters from day 3 guys? Who are your guys?

GRRLacher wrote:
I told you guys AZ was awesome...he in fact makes triple the pay I get for moderating here.
Bowler1215

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we move up a few spots in round 2 or 3 yes, like we did when we got Alshon(move up 5 spots, cost us our 5th rounder)

'The Bears could trade 2[51], 4[117] and 2[2015] to move up as high as 29 if one of the top 4 DTs falls.'

I personally dont like this. We have huge defensive needs and depth on offense. Being aggressive is one thing, but we cant get that aggressive.
Sugashane

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaMike wrote:
MonserinNC wrote:
IronMike84 wrote:

I like the depth at safety, but two starters from day 3 in the draft? I can see a day one and a day two, especially if you get a guy from day one that can play either to get the best available later, but I don't think a day 3 pick should ever be counted on to start immediately. If they fell due to non-performance issues like Lyerla likely will then I can see immediate playing time, but to count on as a starter would be a bit much.
The march for 2,000 All Purpose Yards
Roadrunner

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you be okay if Emery got aggressive?

Well, maybe if he talked nice to me first? Embarassed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: