Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

GDT Week 1: San Francisco 49ers @ Green Bay Packers
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 56, 57, 58  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who Takes It?
San Francisco 49ers
54%
 54%  [ 30 ]
State Farm Commercial Guys
45%
 45%  [ 25 ]
Total Votes : 55

SoCalNiner

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:29 pm    Post subject: GDT Week 1: San Francisco 49ers @ Green Bay Packers Reply with quote

San Francisco 49ers @ Green Bay Packers

Week one is officially one week away! Facing Green Bay at their home opener is probably our toughest game this year. Our defense will have their hands full, as will our offensive line.

Keys to the game:

Alex Smith: Can he take advantage of mis-matches and receivers breaking open? He can't leave anything on the field against this Green Bay defense.

Pressure, pressure, pressure: We need to keep Rodgers on his back, and really disrupt their passing game. I'm not too worried about their running game, but they've done well without one. We need to force Rodgers into making mistakes.

Wide receivers: We have new blood, and they need to perform. Certainly one of our weakest areas last year. Crabtree has been getting nothing but high marks all off-season, so I'm expecting big things from him.

Last edited by SoCalNiner on Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:48 am; edited 1 time in total
49ersfan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting stat: 49ers are 3-0 with more than a week to prepare for a game under Harbaugh's coaching

Week 1, 2011 (all offseason to prepare)- 16-0 lead, 33-17 win over Seahawks

Bye Week, 2011 (2 weeks)- 17-0 lead, 20-10 win over Browns

Playoffs round 2 (2 weeks)- 17-0 lead, 36-32 win over Saints

So if the trend keeps up, we'll lead 17-0 and then hang on to the win, lol.

Seriously though, it will still be a tough game. Should be close either way. I want to see our new look WR's and RB's, and see how our OL performs against a guy like Matthews.
-Not taking this off until the 49ers win #6

Last edited by 49ersfan on Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:46 am; edited 1 time in total
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Packers thrive on creating turnovers so Smith will have to be careful as their CBs bait QBs in throwing picks. Can Davis handle Matthews? How healthy is Aldon Smith? He will need to be close to 100% and constantly be in the face of Rodgers. I'm eager to see how often we go to our dime package and how the young bucks look in Culliver and Cox. Offensively, our RBs will need to wear them down and the WRs will have to make plays in the red zone. I know we have been hiding Moss in preseason as in practice he would always catch a few TDs in the red zone nearly every day. I expect Woodson on Davis quite a bit. Lets just hope the O-line doesn't have any breakdowns and can give Smith some time in the pocket.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

40 yard line, 16 rows up. I wanna see some serious offense to keep up with what the packers can put up (even against our D) or its gonna be a loooooong flight home.
John232

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this strange feeling the 49ers have been game planning for the past 5 weeks for this game, instead of game planning for pre-season.

I hope they smash.

xsaMainevent on the sig
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John232 wrote:
I have this strange feeling the 49ers have been game planning for the past 5 weeks for this game, instead of game planning for pre-season.

I hope they smash.

Well, most teams tend to that Wink .

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pray for no injuries and a good game by James. Not too good though..
burlow

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to put it simply, we win. Packers fans do not bother me (Lions fans take the cake in that regard), but we are getting zero respect. Going off last year, yes they have a great offense, but their defense contains like a sieve holds water.

All we really have to do is run the ball well, and go play action off it, score on most possessions, which should not be difficult against their defense. Our defense will get its turnovers be it fumbles, or ints. There is no reason why we cannot win this game.

My prediction: We do not come out flat and win 31-17. It starts slow for both sides, then we get the lead, bleed the clock and they go into panic mode in the fourth quarter and produce a couple turnovers.

Davis, Hunter, Willis and Gore will tear this game up in that order of importance to the game.

Thanks y2 for the sig - and it has nothing to do with the trash who wore number 32 (I had to look it up, he will stay unnamed).
neezy007

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope we win in a low scoring game where we just smother their offense. It's pissing me off that everyone things they are going to blow us out and that last year was a fluke. People are acting like the Packers O is unstoppable. Which is stupid. The Giants smothered them and we have a better D than they do.

I would be so happy if it was a 17-0 smotherfest.
justo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thoughts about this game: The 9ers are really not catching much rep from certain people around the league. I don't think that the 9ers are the one year wonder type team and now they have a full starting D back and full offseason to prepare. Team is going to be dangerous. Period. Hopefully Green Bay can out shoot this team because that's how I assume they would have to win. If this game is played "small ball" then I think San Fran's got it. It's going to come down to your pass rush to be honest. If they can get to Rodgers fast enough then this game is already over.

2 more things:
1) I think I'll probably post in here on game day. I want to see if I can learn more about the rest of the teams in the league that way instead of just talking live with my Packer brethren. If that's okay with you guys. I'll try not to be a troll the entire time..
2) Please win the NFC West. St. Louis is St. Louis. Arizona is the worst state in the union. I live in Seahawk country. Do it for justo.

EDIT: Here's the Packers forum GDT if anyone wants to stop by and chat
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=497821
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

burlow wrote:
to put it simply, we win. Packers fans do not bother me (Lions fans take the cake in that regard), but we are getting zero respect. Going off last year, yes they have a great offense, but their defense contains like a sieve holds water.

All we really have to do is run the ball well, and go play action off it, score on most possessions, which should not be difficult against their defense. Our defense will get its turnovers be it fumbles, or ints. There is no reason why we cannot win this game.

My prediction: We do not come out flat and win 31-17. It starts slow for both sides, then we get the lead, bleed the clock and they go into panic mode in the fourth quarter and produce a couple turnovers.

Davis, Hunter, Willis and Gore will tear this game up in that order of importance to the game.

Like our team, the Packers have bunch of ball hawks that create a lot of turnovers. The Packers offense will get their yards but we have to hold them to FGs not TDs. This will definitely be a tough game especially at their place.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justo wrote:
thoughts about this game: The 9ers are really not catching much rep from certain people around the league. I don't think that the 9ers are the one year wonder type team and now they have a full starting D back and full offseason to prepare. Team is going to be dangerous. Period. Hopefully Green Bay can out shoot this team because that's how I assume they would have to win. If this game is played "small ball" then I think San Fran's got it. It's going to come down to your pass rush to be honest. If they can get to Rodgers fast enough then this game is already over.

2 more things:
1) I think I'll probably post in here on game day. I want to see if I can learn more about the rest of the teams in the league that way instead of just talking live with my Packer brethren. If that's okay with you guys. I'll try not to be a troll the entire time..
2) Please win the NFC West. St. Louis is St. Louis. Arizona is the worst state in the union. I live in Seahawk country. Do it for justo.

EDIT: Here's the Packers forum GDT if anyone wants to stop by and chat
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=497821

Yeah, the pass rush will be important but we produced none of it in the preseason. Obviously that isn't a direct indicator of how it will be in the regular season, but it seems like Aldon Smith is the only one that brings is CONSISTENTLY. Will you guys chip him and give the LT some help or leave him on an island?

You are more than welcome to post here during game day and I really hope we win the division as well. The Seahawks scare me some but we should still be the favorites.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to say this because I would hate for it to happen, but I really have a strange feeling that Rodgers is going to get hurt week 1. I'm not saying I want it to happen, because I don't REPEAT I DON'T WANT IT TO HAPPEN, but I just have a funny feeling. The NFL always has something like that happen week one. The last time I had one of these feelings Aldon Smith got hurt. Shocked
chucknorris101

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Id like to echo what Justis ..er justo said, good game with no injuries.

I think the Packers take this only because they're at home.

The 9ers are indeed 3-0 with more than a week to prepare but McCarthy is 9-2 with more than 1 week to prepare (4-1 after the bye (0-1 vs undefeated titans in '08, lost in last possession) , 5-1 openers, last loss in 2006), so someone's stellar record will get tarnished.

1. The key for you guys will be containing Rodgers. Sure your pass rush is excellent and will likely get to him a few times during the game, but can you guys collapse the pocket and prevent him from breaking out on 20 yard runs? The left side of our line is definitely weaker than the right, but a healthy Newhouse should hold his own, and will likely get help. The right side is full of pro bowlers and should-be bowlers (bulaga), i anticipate alot of rolling right to get away from your pressure and finding Nelson on back shoulders.

2. How are your corners looking? Can you take the Packers' 5 wide sets? Jennings, Nelson, Finley, Jones, Cobb (?). I assume Willis will cover Finley, do you have 4 corners than can hang with the rest? Will Rogers be on Jennings (premiere route runner) or Nelson? (our big fast white dude)? From the Giants game last year, it seems like speedy (Cruz) guys give your coverage issues...I'd watch to see how much the Packers use Cobb in a similar role. He was touted alot last year but couldnt push Driver out of our lineup, sounds like this year he's ready to take on more of the receiving duties as the 3/4 WR.

3. How is your offense looking in the passing game? Has Randy done anything of note? or is it a similar Alex smith offense? will you be able to take advantage of the packers rather weak safety spot? Or is this still a run-first offense?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Definitely, this preseason we haven't created any pass rush on the right side which was a little bummer. However, we will really see week 1 as it was for the most part vanilla defense.

2. We haven't had this much depth at CB in years. Perrish Cox has been a very good addition and has played great in the preseason. Brown will most likely be the best CB of the bunch and Rogers is the most versatile as he plays outside and in the slot in nickle situations. We didn't use much four CB set last year but we HAVE to get Cox on the field. Willis will cover Finley quite a bit and maybe some Bowman. The safeties will come up in the slot and cover at times as well. Fangio likes to mix up a lot of zone as too. Cruz absolutely torched Rogers in the first half until we started to give him some help.

3. The offense was very vanilla in the preseason as well but I expect us to open it up more this year than the prior season. We have been hiding Moss for the most part but in practice he has been a beast in the red zone. I expect us to throw him a fade or two when we get inside the five yard line. What will be interesting is if Vernon Davis carries the momentum from the playoffs and has his best season. Michael Crabtree was finally healthy in training camp for the first time in his career so that's a plus. Mario Manningham's grandfather passed away before the 3rd preseason game so he was gone for some time with the funeral or what not. He is expected to rotate with Moss when we use two WR set formations.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 56, 57, 58  Next
Page 1 of 58

Jump to: