Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Game 1 Observations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDOG_det wrote:
We really need Delmas. Can't wait for Leshoure. Hope Bentleys alright. I also want to know what happened to Barnes?

Given safety play today I think the team needs Houston back more than Delmas. I might be a bit bias as I'm not a huge Delmas fan. He hasnt lived up to expectations or improved from his rookie season. In fairness to him with all the injuries it's hard to improve.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
Big Cat

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What this game showed me is that our O can score when we need too. When you look at all the things we did right, this was a good performance.
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diehardlionfan wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:
We really need Delmas. Can't wait for Leshoure. Hope Bentleys alright. I also want to know what happened to Barnes?

Given safety play today I think the team needs Houston back more than Delmas. I might be a bit bias as I'm not a huge Delmas fan. He hasnt lived up to expectations or improved from his rookie season. In fairness to him with all the injuries it's hard to improve.
Look at my sig Wink
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #1: Eric Ebron
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #2: Martin Mayhew

R.I.P. Stylish
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDOG_det wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:

Look at my sig Wink

Can't fault me for not seeing that. I'm old and the sig is pretty small. Laughing

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
lions on top

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sllim Pickens wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
Jrugges wrote:
Lions can't cover very well. Please draft some coverage talent!

We were missing Houston. That's a pretty big part of the equation: when your weakness is missing its strength, it's not going to be pretty.

I don't blame Pettigrew for dropping the TD: that was an extremely difficult catch, and one he almost had.

The OLine deserves a lot of credit: Gosder had a tough match-up, and played a great game.

We were also missing Delmas, and I think we covered pretty well all day. Florence would have been beat if Bradford didn't under throw Quick but he did recover and make a play. I thought Green had great position on the TD but Gibson made a great catch on a great throw. Some complain about him not getting his head around but I'm just glad he was in position. A lot of CBs don't get their head around on that play.

I don't blame Grew for the dropped TD completely but he should have had it. He also should have had a couple other balls thrown his way. He did come up big the last couple drives but he needs to cut out the early mistakes. It definitely was not one of his best games.

The O line did play pretty well. Kevin Smith also was solid in pass protection. Both tackles struggled on some plays but they were pretty solid for the most part. I'll take this performance from our line any day.

I'm with you Slim, I thought we covered pretty well overall. I have no complaints on Lacy (who I was expecting to be a consistent burn victim this year), Florence (why play the "could've" game? He was burnt but the ball was underthrown and he made a tremendous play), Bentley when he was in there covered well, and I will say Green did at least try to break up that pass and it was a great catch (Gibson, WSU alumni represent!), but I wasn't overly wowed by his performance.

I thought Coleman and Wendling played very well and I distinctly remember a great shoelace tackle by Speivey to stop Jackson before he broke a big one and thought he did a good job on special teams as well. Also thought Green was good on special teams coverage (besides the holding, not sure what he was going for there).

Overall analysis, we played like an actual secondary today!
detroitroar

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

studdogs wrote:
detroitroar wrote:
Get the bad out of the way:

-I was very disappointed with how long it took for our Offense to adjust to what they were doing. I thought it was obvious after the first INT that we were going to need to take shots deep to stretch the field; we didnt do so until the third INT.

-Also thought we should of run the ball more. It was a tight game, our D was playing well, passing game struggling, we were running well, yet we chose to be arrogant, IMO.

The good:

-Good ST's play.

-LB's played very well.

-Limited the penalties.

-Great overall Oline play.

-Dline dominated.

-Secondary held their own.

-Stafford proves yet again he has the clutch gene. He needs time often to get going, but he without a doubt has the resolve to finish games, no matter the situation.

I am neither encouraged nor discouraged overall with this team. I rather have a wait-and-see approach. I said before the game I expect the Rams to be one of the most improved teams in the league, and looking back later, this may prove to be a solid win, rather than a near gaffe.

We will learn a ton more about this team come next Sunday night.

49'ers 10 - GB 0... heading into the halftime...wow...we sure will learn a lot more?

I have no clue what your trying to say.

2014 Adopt-A-Lion #1: Joe Lombardi
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #2: James Ihedigbo
KILLER LIONZ

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

detroitroar wrote:
studdogs wrote:
detroitroar wrote:

-I was very disappointed with how long it took for our Offense to adjust to what they were doing. I thought it was obvious after the first INT that we were going to need to take shots deep to stretch the field; we didnt do so until the third INT.

-Also thought we should of run the ball more. It was a tight game, our D was playing well, passing game struggling, we were running well, yet we chose to be arrogant, IMO.

The good:

-Good ST's play.

-LB's played very well.

-Limited the penalties.

-Dline dominated.

-Stafford proves yet again he has the clutch gene. He needs time often to get going, but he without a doubt has the resolve to finish games, no matter the situation.

I am neither encouraged nor discouraged overall with this team. I rather have a wait-and-see approach. I said before the game I expect the Rams to be one of the most improved teams in the league, and looking back later, this may prove to be a solid win, rather than a near gaffe.

49'ers 10 - GB 0... heading into the halftime...wow...we sure will learn a lot more?

The Packers got beat by the 9ers who we play next week. The Pack are a "great" team and they beat them so we're gonna get a real test next week. I think thats what he meant.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KILLER LIONZ wrote:
detroitroar wrote:
studdogs wrote:
detroitroar wrote:

The good:

-Good ST's play.

-LB's played very well.

-Limited the penalties.

-Dline dominated.

The Packers got beat by the 9ers who we play next week. The Pack are a "great" team and they beat them so we're gonna get a real test next week. I think thats what he meant.

Maybe. But if that is the case, isn't that the type of team you learn about your team the most when you play them? I thought his statement was a well thought out and true statement. How we perform against a team like the 9rs goes a long ways towards what I may expect going forward.
Laimbrane

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, the most important thing is that the Lions committed exactly one penalty, and that was a boneheaded one by TY.

If they can play more under control and stop being predictable with the out-routes, they're going to be a dangerous, dangerous team this year. I'm really looking forward to the 49ers this weekend.
SuhPLEX

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laimbrane wrote:
For me, the most important thing is that the Lions committed exactly one penalty, and that was a boneheaded one by TY.

If they can play more under control and stop being predictable with the out-routes, they're going to be a dangerous, dangerous team this year. I'm really looking forward to the 49ers this weekend.

I might be mistaken, but didn't we commit 3? I know Jonte Green had one

Cruz is one of best WR in the game

detfan782004 wrote:

(Eli) Manning has a new look offense and he has looked really good in it.

wut
SuhPLEX

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, despite having 3 picks, Stafford is still leading the league in pass yards Laughing. His overall play is still very good, but as we all know it's those small portion of plays he needs to not make... I think he trusts his arm too much, but he will learn that with some more maturity. I think his early game woes have to do with maturity too. It's a couple of things that can be devastating, but IMO aren't hard to correct

Cruz is one of best WR in the game

detfan782004 wrote:

(Eli) Manning has a new look offense and he has looked really good in it.

wut
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuhPLEX wrote:
Also, despite having 3 picks, Stafford is still leading the league in pass yards Laughing. His overall play is still very good, but as we all know it's those small portion of plays he needs to not make... I think he trusts his arm too much, but he will learn that with some more maturity. I think his early game woes have to do with maturity too. It's a couple of things that can be devastating, but IMO aren't hard to correct

I don't tend to put as much stock in total yards. I'm interested in YPC, completion percentage and QB rating.

The season is young but he has had three years of film study so the interceptions are a concern. After last years growth in protecting the ball I though we would see a continuation of the same. It's to early for us to pull our hair out but it is an area of concern.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
Sllim Pickens

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KILLER LIONZ wrote:
detroitroar wrote:
studdogs wrote:
detroitroar wrote:

The good:

-Good ST's play.

-LB's played very well.

-Limited the penalties.

-Dline dominated.

To be fair, GB struggled on D last year and maybe their offense isn't much with no RB. I mean the Patriots went from record setting season to cuttin Moss due to unproductivity in a year. I'm not saying GB fell off, but is a possibility they aren't as great as last year. We don't know yet.

Adopt-A-Lion - Riley Reiff, OT/TE/FB
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really, guys... those INTs... man. The worst one was the second. The other two I have less of a problem with. (Watching Finnegan jam Burleson, then completely abandon him and come under that pass... it's a big risk for a player to make that move, and I don't think Stafford thought there would be a chance it would happen.)

Stafford played well. He made some mistakes. His mistakes happened to hurt this time. I watched the BAL-CIN game, and Flacco had two passes (at least) that could have easily been picked. Instead, they went off the defender's hands, and his "great day" was maintained.

Sometimes, plays like that get dropped (and forgotten). Others, they get caught. Looking at his entire body of work, we moved the ball well, and most of his decisions were good. I feel that these mistakes were more of an anomaly, and less of a trend.

Team Stylish
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
Really, guys... those INTs... man. The worst one was the second. The other two I have less of a problem with. (Watching Finnegan jam Burleson, then completely abandon him and come under that pass... it's a big risk for a player to make that move, and I don't think Stafford thought there would be a chance it would happen.)

Stafford played well. He made some mistakes. His mistakes happened to hurt this time. I watched the BAL-CIN game, and Flacco had two passes (at least) that could have easily been picked. Instead, they went off the defender's hands, and his "great day" was maintained.

Sometimes, plays like that get dropped (and forgotten). Others, they get caught. Looking at his entire body of work, we moved the ball well, and most of his decisions were good. I feel that these mistakes were more of an anomaly, and less of a trend.

Hopefully they are an anomaly. We should know soon enough.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: