Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Texans Offseason Thread (OTA's)
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:20 pm    Post subject: Texans Offseason Thread (OTA's) Reply with quote

Didn't know where to put coaching changes and general discussion, so I made this.

BOB fired OL coach Paul Dunn today, not a surprising move, as he was his 3rd choice behind Munch and Ferentz.

I suspect the TE and ST's coaches wont be to far behind

^CalhounLambeau on the sick sig^

Last edited by lumberjackchris on Wed May 27, 2015 10:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
Marco79

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. It is refreshing to see BOB not hesitate to make necesary changes like Kubiak always struggled to do.
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say I'm mildly surprised since the o-line drastically improved over the 2nd half of the season and whatever he did, he managed to make RT Derek Newton and LG Ben Jones at least passable NFL players vs. being amongst the worst in the NFL at their positions in 2013. However, it's a much greater sin to NOT be able to coach up a 33rd overall pick (Su'a Fila) well enough to be able to get onto the field.

I'm not big on a revolving door at a major position like ST Coach, but Ligashesky clearly hasn't brought enough improvement in a year as the #2 guy and this year as #1. Keshawn Martin is a waste of space as a returner and lack of quality depth at LB continues to hamper our coverage teams, but there is no excuse for giving up 26 yards on kickoff returns while only getting 21.1 giving up 12.4 yards on punts and only getting 6.1 yards. Those numbers aren't even skewed by giving up any 100 yarders which is good if you consider giving up return TDs as the game killers they often are, but also signals just how consistently poor our coverage was again this season and you've got to do more than run Martin out there to call fair catches 50% of the time and run 15 yards sideways and 5 yards forwards. Way may not have outright lost any games that I can remember due to special teams, but I can't remember that last one we won because of them and Daniel Manning's stumbling and fumbling sure helped turn the momentum in the Pitt loss.

I suspect you are right that, O'Brien is just looking to bring more of "his" guys into the fold and I suspect we'll be hearing about the hiring of Brian Ferentz soon as either O-line or TE coach. He stuck around with his dad at Iowa again last year, but he's got to see the writing on the wall there with his Dad's massive buyout being the only reason he's still employed. As much as I complained about Kubiak's cronyism, the O'Brien-Ferentz connection is strong with us taking Fido relatively early based upon his strong endorsement and we carried his 25 year old brother James on our PS all season. It's tough to be too excited about someone who hasn't exactly distinguished himself coaching the o-line on a .500 Iowa team with daddy, but like O'Brien, having your name attached to the 2011 breakout of Gronk/Hernandez is going to stand out on a resume.

14 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I think the Shanny family is about as overrated as it gets, but I wonder if Kyle gets a look here if O'Brien is willing to give up his OC title and risk Shanny using the Texans as a stepping stone again. Kyle certainly wanted no part of tying his future to trainwrecks like Johnny and Gordon and it certainly seems like he did some good things with Hoyer at least initially. I'm not so sure Hoyer to the Texans is a given since little priority was placed on Mallett who definitely outplayed Hoyer head to head, yet will likely be cheaper due to only having 1 NFL win to his name.

I think Shanny probably has his eyes on the Buffalo gig and OC in SF or Chicago certainly should have appeal since perceptions of their QBs are at such lows, but it's laughable that his daddy is out there wanting to provide a GM/Coach combo considering how underachieving the post-Elway Broncos became once he got personnel power. Never mind how he single handedly destroyed the future of the Redskins by failing to protect an asset in RG3 who had just set a new standard for QB play as a rookie, but was sent out in a lost cause late in a Wild Card game against the best defense in the NFL despite a torn LCL. I wonder how Shanny the GM would feel about his coach destroying an asset it took 4 valuable picks to acquire who had just single-handedly carried your team back into the playoffs and not accepting a shred of accountability for protecting his injured rookie of the year. Hell, I didn't want us to expose Tom Savage by playing him too soon and new Mallett would be a sitting duck behind our porous o-line and somehow they let RG3 start 7 months after ALC/LCL/MCL surgery behind a worse line with no preseason, again accompanied by their "whisper campaign" that RG3 demanded it and got Snyder to pull rank. Even if he did, Shanny is either guilty of not developing enough trust with his star player to be able to convince him that sitting another month or two to fully heal would have him ready to lead them into another 2nd half surge OR that he was too soft to take a stand and publicly state that he did not want RG3 in there even after he was fired. Instead, Shanny did like he did in Denver in making Adam Shefter "a thing" he used Peter King and the press to do his dirty work.

I'm telling you watch the press on Kyle Shanahan and count the number of times they credit him for being some sort of boy genius behind Schaub's record 09 season (that was a product of how abysmal our running game was in his one season), good RG3 (as if using RG3's legs wouldn't have dawned on anyone else), and good Hoyer (who didn't do much but beat 5 of the worst defenses in the league, catch the Steelers defense in shambles early on when they couldn't stop the run, and watch Dalton hand them a freebie with worst game in QB history). Conveniently omitted is mentioning that Schaub and Hoyer had equally solid seasons before getting injured the years before he had anything to do with them or how awful the 2010-11 Redskins offenses were when he and daddy thought Donovan McNabb, Rex Grossman, and John Beck were viable QBs and it's like we are just supposed to ignore that without RG3's legs in 2013, they went from winning 7 straight to win the division in 2012 to a 3-13 laughing stock. Never mind that the balanced attacks of the Texans made the playoffs in 2011 & 2012 without lil shanny or any halfback option passes.

How is it that press allows the shanny press firm of King and Shefter to spin this and lay zero accountability at HIS feet for failing to develop highly drafted QBs in his past two jobs. I guess if he went to Tampa and Jamies or Mariota were to bust, everyone could conveniently be amongst those now off the RG3 and Johnny bandwagons that sure seemed pretty full in 2012 and blame ownership for being dumb enough to take them against their wishes. Seems I remember how "perfect" a fit Johnny and a "innovative and creative mind" like lil Shanny was supposed to be. Just absolutely crazy how some of these "sources" can control the dialogue and that a guy like Peter King can suddenly become "multiple sources" as if we're not supposed to realize that Football Night in America, Pro Football Weekly, Rotoworld, and Monday Morning QB aren't all just the same Peter King/NBC propaganda regurgitated in different forms.

WizardHawk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone heard Brian Ferentz name again? Rumor here says he was offered a position by O'Brien again.

Kiltman on sig
RYAN RUSSELL FAN CLUB
jch1911

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And this came out today from PFF's ranking of OLs.... I think Dunn gets a job relatively quickly

Quote:
5. Houston Texans (16th last year)

Pass Blocking Ranking: 12th, Run Blocking Ranking: 3rd, Penalties Ranking: 10th

Stud: Nobody mentions his name much, but Brandon Brooks (+18.7) has quietly put together two very good seasons with his run blocking being of the standout variety.

Dud: Rookie Xavier Su’a-Filo (-8.5) was supposed to be an instant contributor. His 130 snaps highlight how that has proven to not be the case.

Breakdown: They looked a line in need of a rebuild with a new head coach in town, but those same elements responded to Bill O’Brien and played extremely well. A special mention to Derek Newton whose turn around has been one of the most remarkable of anyone in 2014.

Also, saw an item over at BRB that said there may have been an argument on draft day re: XSF (da Rickster) & Joel Bitino (OB1). Not sure how it relates to Dunn.... just thought I would share.
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BOB moved swiftly, he hired former Jets longtime assistant Mike Devlin at OL coach.

^CalhounLambeau on the sick sig^
canyon1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know nothing about how successful he has been but I do like how fast the position was filled ... Its like Bob knew exactly the people he wanted and went out to get them.
MLB: Tigers
NHL: Red Wings
NCAAB: Michigan
NCAAF: Michigan
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

canyon1 wrote:
I know nothing about how successful he has been but I do like how fast the position was filled ... Its like Bob knew exactly the people he wanted and went out to get them.

Seems like Lance Z is in love with the hire.

Quote:
Lance Zierlein @LanceZierlein
· 1h 1 hour ago
Can’t tell you how excited I am that Mike Devlin is the new offensive line coach for Texans. Huge upgrade w/ very sharp man taking over.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like Doug Marrone may have miscalculated his value on the open market. Jets are going to pass and I don't see anyone else being too overly impressed with Buffalo being competitive last year considering how much they spent in defensive free agents and selling out future draft picks to just get to 9 wins. However, you have to admire what Marrone was able to do with a complete duct tape offense with a street FA in Orton, crippled Fred Jackson & CJ Spiller and some guy named Boobie at RB, and actually getting something out of Robert Woods.

He and Bill O'Brien seem to be cut out of the same blue collar cloth and are both from the George O'Leary tree. Again, I suspect it would be a short-term thing, but I could see Marrone coming to Houston for a year and getting and OC title and freed up O'Brien to focus on shoring up some other areas this offseason, especially integrating a slot WR & TE. Would be interesting if we made a run at Ryan Nassib who I think was the QB Marrone wanted instead of the ridiculous reach on Manuel. He's just collecting dust behind Eli and they could an extra use a 3rd or 4th rounder and goodness knows Rick Smith can't do anything with them anyway. I just don't get the sense Bill is an elite first round QB type of guy and like Marrone prefers to mold a project in his own image. If it doesn't work out, there is always Hackenburg next year.

jch1911

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apollo Stallion wrote:
Looks like Doug Marrone may have miscalculated his value on the open market. Jets are going to pass and I don't see anyone else being too overly impressed with Buffalo being competitive last year considering how much they spent in defensive free agents and selling out future draft picks to just get to 9 wins. However, you have to admire what Marrone was able to do with a complete duct tape offense with a street FA in Orton, crippled Fred Jackson & CJ Spiller and some guy named Boobie at RB, and actually getting something out of Robert Woods.

He and Bill O'Brien seem to be cut out of the same blue collar cloth and are both from the George O'Leary tree. Again, I suspect it would be a short-term thing, but I could see Marrone coming to Houston for a year and getting and OC title and freed up O'Brien to focus on shoring up some other areas this offseason, especially integrating a slot WR & TE. Would be interesting if we made a run at Ryan Nassib who I think was the QB Marrone wanted instead of the ridiculous reach on Manuel. He's just collecting dust behind Eli and they could an extra use a 3rd or 4th rounder and goodness knows Rick Smith can't do anything with them anyway. I just don't get the sense Bill is an elite first round QB type of guy and like Marrone prefers to mold a project in his own image. If it doesn't work out, there is always Hackenburg next year.

All I am saying Apollo is that your post was at 5:44 PM, but the report below came out at 11:54 AM... LMAO

Quote:
ESPN Chris Mortensen reports Doug Marrone will have an offer to join the Texans as a consultant if he is unable to land a head coaching gig.
Marrone was viewed as the heavy favorite for the Jets' head coaching job after he opted out of his Bills contract, but with New York turning its attention to Seahawks DC Dan Quinn, Marrone could be out of luck. Marrone has close ties to Texans coach Bill O'Brien.

I have the feeling that you and Chris Mortensen played connect the dots and came to the same conclusion. OOORRRRR maybe you were Mortensen's source??? Either way.... interesting!

It would probably do OB1 some good to have a guy like Marrone as OC.
Probably means no CJ Spiller tho... Laughing
Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smith really screwed us with this contract he gave Cushing.....He is going to sit on the roster at least another 2 seasons eatting up cap space

if we have the money we should cut him this off season and take the big cap hit now and free up that money
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pastor Dillon wrote:
Smith really screwed us with this contract he gave Cushing.....He is going to sit on the roster at least another 2 seasons eatting up cap space

if we have the money we should cut him this off season and take the big cap hit now and free up that money

Can't happen. It costs us $13.5 million in cap dollars to cut him and only $7.8 million to let him play next year. You know it's a bad deal when you are so far upside down in it, that just letting a guy sit on the end of the bench or be a gameday inactive every week is less damaging than cutting him. Since there is no financial incentive to cut him this year, he'll get a chance to show that he can return to some semblance of pre-2nd leg injury form in 2015, but 2016 is definitely a question mark. The emergence of Mike Mohamed as an excellent coverage LB might help to keep Cushing on the field where he can focus on his forte against the run, but IMO he was even a liability in that respect last year as he always seemed a step away from making the stop.

jch1911

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pastor Dillon wrote:

At the time, IIRC the Cushing signing made a little sense as he was considered a cornerstone of the defense (the 2nd level at least) as we had watched the defense fall apart when he was injured.

That being said, he seemed unnaturally prone to injury Rolling Eyes

Now, he is a 2 down LB who other teams know to throw at or have RBs/TEs run routes against. No bueno!
jch1911

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three Texans earned pay escalators

G Brandon Brooks
DE Jared Crick
G/C Ben Jones

http://overthecap.com/2015-proven-performance-escalator-rookies/

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 1 of 14

Jump to: