Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Pre-Season Week 3 Houston @ Denver GDT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:59 am    Post subject: Pre-Season Week 3 Houston @ Denver GDT Reply with quote

The Texans coming off a very troubling opening pre-season game, righted the ship last week putting an overall beat down on ATL, where Jadeveon "Just A Guy" Clowney made some splash plays that got everyone excited. Grimes/Blue ran the ball well behind and OL made up of backups, and Fitz looked somewhat competent. The DB's were flying around making plays which was nice to see, especially still missing JJoe.

The Broncos looked like the Broncos. Peyton was typical Peyton going 12/14 102 yards and a TD, and the backup QB's lit up the 9ers D too.

Game Overview Since the 2 teams are practicing together all week, I'm not sure if this will be a true dress rehearsal like most 3rd preseason games are. Will see how BOB handles the stars as he gave JJ, Meyers, and Duane off last week. Hopfully Nix, Dre and Foster get some reps, because I highly doubt anyone of the top guys play next week. Aside from that, there are some good battles across the board. Den LT Clady will be a good measuring stick for Clowney and JJ. The Thomas' along with Welker and newly added WR Saunders will be tough matchups from the DB's and LB's

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the true deficiencies we've seen from Clowney is in coverage. That being said, either keep him away from Julius Thomas so he doesn't get worked, or make him cover him so maybe he can learn something.
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to rewatch Saturdays game tonight, but I don't remember Clowney dropping much into coverage.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumberjackchris wrote:
I'm going to rewatch Saturdays game tonight, but I don't remember Clowney dropping much into coverage.

He only played 9 plays against ATL; don't remember him in coverage in those 9 snaps either.

I think Shep was alluding to AZ game.
shep0507

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jch1911 wrote:
lumberjackchris wrote:

He only played 9 plays against ATL; don't remember him in coverage in those 9 snaps either.

Yeah, I couldn't remember if he dropped against ATL or not either, but the one that stuck out in my head was the AZ game where a flag saved him from giving up the TD. Granted, it's a small sample size, but it's one of the few things I've seen him look off on.

That's not to say that he doesn't have other flaws, we've just not seen them yet.
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louis Nix making his Texans debut this week so that's good. Cant wait to see how he does. Hopefully Foster and Andre comes back too. I expect Duane Brown, Cushing, Joseph and Watt to play this game to get into shape for the season. Broncos a good week 3 test for us this preseason. Secondary need to be tested hard.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texansfan713 wrote:
Louis Nix making his Texans debut this week so that's good. Cant wait to see how he does. Hopefully Foster and Andre comes back too. I expect Duane Brown, Cushing, Joseph and Watt to play this game to get into shape for the season. Broncos a good week 3 test for us this preseason. Secondary need to be tested hard.

Concur. Excellent pre-season game 3 contest foe (Denver has looked pretty good in pre-season thus far). I believe it will be all hands on deck... hoping even Brooks plays!
Dawgtx

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jch1911 wrote:
lumberjackchris wrote:

So 9 snaps against ATL? I don't know how many against ARZ, but for discussion, lets say 10? So for a grand total of 19 plays for his entire careeer, through 2 preseason games? The entire time he's learning a new system, while adjusting to game speed as a rookie....... and we are seriously concerned?
dsorc

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brandon Brooks is practicing today. Hoping we get to see him in the game instead of Kupper.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dawgtx wrote:
jch1911 wrote:
lumberjackchris wrote:

So 9 snaps against ATL? I don't know how many against ARZ, but for discussion, lets say 10? So for a grand total of 19 plays for his entire careeer, through 2 preseason games? The entire time he's learning a new system, while adjusting to game speed as a rookie....... and we are seriously concerned?

Not really concerned. The point of my post was that he rarely dropped in coverage at SC and he's got to learn to do it if he's going to play that "Jack" linebacker role. He has little experience so I would expect him to have issues. My point is that you can throw him in the fire against a really good TE and one of the best QB's in the NFL, or you can protect his confidence by avoiding those situations until he's more comfortable at it.

Even though it would probably mean a bunch of completions to Julius Thomas and likely a couple TD's, I would lean towards putting him in those positions as much as possible. I get the feeling his confidence won't be affected, but use it as a learning experience. After every drive, get him behind the bench with Vrabel and Cushing with the drive pictures and go over everything he did right and wrong, and then spend next week in the film room and on the practice field reconfirming to him what he saw and how to fix it. The way he seems to have picked things up, I think it would do more good than harm.
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dsorc wrote:
Brandon Brooks is practicing today. Hoping we get to see him in the game instead of Kupper.

As much as I hope we do, I doubt it. If we do, it think he'll struggle. Just because he passed his physical, doesn't mean he's in game shape.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it's going to take some time before Brooks is in game shape. He might need to play next Thursday against the Niners also. When he does get in shape though, our line is going to be nasty. Newton is still terrible and we will probably get his replacement next year, and Ben Jones is the future at C once Myers contract is over in 2016, and he provides depth at C and guard for us.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This game is going to be very important. it will be a good test of how good we really are this season. I would say at half time if we are close then we can be legit this season.

Watching to see if our D can slow down that high powered offense will be really important

i expect Fitzpatrick to play into the 3rd quarter and then i would like to see Savage finish the game out. We know everything we need to know about Keenum by this point. Let's give the rookie some reps and then lets give him a good 3 quarters of work in the final pre season game

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shep0507 wrote:
Dawgtx wrote:
jch1911 wrote:
lumberjackchris wrote:

Not really concerned. The point of my post was that he rarely dropped in coverage at SC and he's got to learn to do it if he's going to play that "Jack" linebacker role. He has little experience so I would expect him to have issues. My point is that you can throw him in the fire against a really good TE and one of the best QB's in the NFL, or you can protect his confidence by avoiding those situations until he's more comfortable at it.

Even though it would probably mean a bunch of completions to Julius Thomas and likely a couple TD's, I would lean towards putting him in those positions as much as possible. I get the feeling his confidence won't be affected, but use it as a learning experience. After every drive, get him behind the bench with Vrabel and Cushing with the drive pictures and go over everything he did right and wrong, and then spend next week in the film room and on the practice field reconfirming to him what he saw and how to fix it. The way he seems to have picked things up, I think it would do more good than harm.

Clowney has a grand total of 29 snaps this season, and if I recall correctly, has only been truly in coverage twice against Arizona. He was lined up over the slot in the Falcons game, but he still came off the corner and blew up the FB three yards deep to effectively set the edge. His coverage is obviously a concern at this point, but I imagine it'll be extremely rare that he drops this season. In fact, against the Falcons they had Jamison drop at least once and Clowney rushed.

Brooks Reed has actually looked pretty solid in coverage thus far, so I'd imagine it would be him dropping when necessary. I'm pretty effin' excited for our Nickel package this year. Finally having capable Safeties, a more aggressive (read: turnover friendly) defensive scheme in the secondary, and undoubtedly the best pass rush in Texans history, I'm hoping it'll actually be fun to see teams try to pass against us this year.
Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dsorc wrote:

Jones and Filo will be our two starting guards i would think

Kupper will make the roster, but wont be active on game day. I imagine we go with 7 linemen on game days with Jones and Clabo being the 2 back ups

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: