Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Will offensive line be a major issue?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:50 am    Post subject: Will offensive line be a major issue? Reply with quote

We have had one of the best left sides in football the last few years. I think i would take Brown-Smith-Myers collectively over anyone else, however Brown and Myers are perfect fits in the ZBS

Remember how Brown was just a TE in college and transitioned to tackle i think his Jr. year. He wasnt the best LT in that draft, but he might be the best LT from that draft now. He was a perfect fit in the ZBS

Myers is very undersized for a center, and his biggest trait has been his ability to QB the O-Line. He is a guy that is another ZBS guy most of his career

Im sold on taking whoever the top QB is on our boards with pick #1, but if we pick #2 and that QB is gone(which he will be) then Jake Matthews(or whoever your #1 tackle is) has to be the pick and here is why:

1. Matthews can play LT in the event that Brown cant transition to a normal style of play(i suspect he can however)

2. Matthews played RT for 3 years at A&M and is probably better suited for the right side anyway

3. #2 is a high pick for a RT, but when RT has been destroying your team for 2 seasons, get it fixed! The new CBA gives us the opportunity to do so without having to pay Matthews 60 million

4. Brown has dealt with some minor injuries and is getting older, he will turn 29 right when the season kicks off. This is a great situation. When Matthews finished his 4 year rookie deal, Brown will be 33 and we will have to option to pay Brown another contract or give that money to Matthews to move over.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we take Matthews over Clowney or even Barr or Mack I will punch a baby. Frankly I'd consider Dennard there, too, before Matthews.

There is 0 justification for it. Brown is athletic but doesn't rely on the ZBS to succeed. He's plenty strong enough for a power scheme if that is what we go to. A RT is never worth the #2 slot unless you have a lefty QB. That can be fixed with a FA or mid round pick. You don't need a pro bowler there. Just someone average.

With all the holes at positions actually worth higher draft picks you want a right tackle? Please.

#JDI
Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mse326 wrote:
If we take Matthews over Clowney or even Barr or Mack I will punch a baby. Frankly I'd consider Dennard there, too, before Matthews.

There is 0 justification for it. Brown is athletic but doesn't rely on the ZBS to succeed. He's plenty strong enough for a power scheme if that is what we go to. A RT is never worth the #2 slot unless you have a lefty QB. That can be fixed with a FA or mid round pick. You don't need a pro bowler there. Just someone average.

With all the holes at positions actually worth higher draft picks you want a right tackle? Please.

If we take Clowney, we would be picking right back here next season.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pastor Dillon wrote:
mse326 wrote:

If we take Clowney, we would be picking right back here next season.

Good. Then we'll have Clowney and a top QB. Plus it's false. Right now we only have one person that can get to the QB. Frankly even if we had a good secondary we'd get torched with our pass rush. He'd help more than any other single player other than Bridgewater.

You think a RT is going to change our season?

And I didn't put it in the first post because I was more making the point about taking a RT, but I actually really like Blake Bortles. If he declares I'd be ok taking him at #2.

Leading up to the draft I actually think we'll hear his name being mentioned above Bridgwater by some. Bortles is better physically in almost all areas. Bridgewater is more advanced in the intellectual part of the game, though that is more because he is very advanced for a college QB than Bortles being poor at it. He actually is in a pro style offense and goes through progressions fairly well so he is more advanced than most, just not Bridgewater. Accuracy is where they separate some more. Bridgewater has great accuracy. Bortles is more inconsistent. Not many very poor throws but the little things like throwing a guy open or getting out front so he can catch and run instead of reach back.

#JDI
buckwild

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that y'all are missing something. Arian is still owed how much money? He is a one cut back that excels in the ZBS so unless you want to cut him, and be in cap hell for the next 2 years. Then they are probably sticking with the ZBS.

Thanks Mike23md for the Sig
kenney

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buckwild wrote:
I think that y'all are missing something. Arian is still owed how much money? He is a one cut back that excels in the ZBS so unless you want to cut him, and be in cap hell for the next 2 years. Then they are probably sticking with the ZBS.

I agree that the offense will have to incorporate the ZBS, but there's no reason it can't be a multiple offense, even with the money invested in Brown, Myers, and Foster. I do anticipate that a running back will figure prominently in our draft designs going forward.

My eye is on Marion Grice.
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im not on the "take Matthews 1st or 2nd overall" train. First, Clowney and Bridgewater are better prospects than Matthews. Matthews is the safer pick sure, which leads me to my next point. Second, the OT class is strong this season.

Lists of OT's that could be picked in round 1 and 2:

Jake Matthews
Cameron Irving
Greg Robinson
Taylor Lewan
Cyrus Kouandjio
Antonio Richardson
James Hurst
Cyril Richardson

That's 8 right there, and almost certainly one will be available when we pick in round 2 assuming some of them come out. Taking Matthews with the 1st or 2nd pick is dumb.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a reason RTs don't get drafted in the top5: their value to the team is not that great. The best OT pair in the AFC South for years has been Roos and Stewart in Tenesse and yet how much do they have to show for it? Both of those guys are top10 for their spot but that hasn't hidden the fact that their QBs have sucked.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clowny is going to be a bust

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pastor Dillon wrote:

...so, don't draft him. Draft Teddy Bridgewater.

Simply put, the lack of positional value at RT means you don't try to take them with a top 5 pick. We know that KC went Eric Fischer and Jax went Luke Joeckel 1/2 in this past draft, but there is a specific plan with those two moving from RT to LT, as both Branden Albert and Eugene Monroe will be free agents following this season. Both Joeckel and Fischer were RT this year, and this year ONLY.

The Texans have a top tier LT who's on the books for a while, and have absolutely nobody at QB. How this pick can be anything BUT QB is something that completely boggles my mind. Offensive line IS a concern, but putting your eggs into a single basket that is Matthews and expecting a drastic turnaround is a recipe for failure - even if it DOES work, you still don't have anyone worth their stones throwing the ball. I honestly think this Jake Matthews discussion is based on overcompensation - the Texans failed at RT, but look at how we tried to fill it, with a 7th round RT from a small school. In most circles, the fact that Newton even saw the field as much as he did would make him one of the more successful 7th rounders out there. Given how this one has worked out, folks are thinking the only way to correct the issue it to go the opposite direction - just take one #1 overall. Not when you have a glaring hold at QB, IMO.

Grab a QB at 1, look at guys like Cyril Richardson out of Baylor or James Hurst out of North Carolina if you're looking for a RT.

iPwn, Kempes and Flaccomania: The official sig makers for THE ET80!
PAtexansFAN99

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to get Jake Matthews. We need a T. What we could do is wait until Brown starts to struggle later on in his career and then have he and Matthews switch sides to get extra mileage out of Brown. Plus Jake Matthews dad was Bruce Matthews..

LORK88
Wolf6151

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like ET80's concept. I'm thinking:

1. Teddy Bridgewater
2. Best CB or OLB
3. JaWaun James-OT
4. Yawin Smallwood-ILB
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
Pastor Dillon wrote:

Simply put, the lack of positional value at RT means you don't try to take them with a top 5 pick. We know that KC went Eric Fischer and Jax went Luke Joeckel 1/2 in this past draft, but there is a specific plan with those two moving from RT to LT, as both Branden Albert and Eugene Monroe will be free agents following this season. Both Joeckel and Fischer were RT this year, and this year ONLY.

The Texans have a top tier LT who's on the books for a while, and have absolutely nobody at QB. How this pick can be anything BUT QB is something that completely boggles my mind. Offensive line IS a concern, but putting your eggs into a single basket that is Matthews and expecting a drastic turnaround is a recipe for failure - even if it DOES work, you still don't have anyone worth their stones throwing the ball. I honestly think this Jake Matthews discussion is based on overcompensation - the Texans failed at RT, but look at how we tried to fill it, with a 7th round RT from a small school. In most circles, the fact that Newton even saw the field as much as he did would make him one of the more successful 7th rounders out there. Given how this one has worked out, folks are thinking the only way to correct the issue it to go the opposite direction - just take one #1 overall. Not when you have a glaring hold at QB, IMO.

Grab a QB at 1, look at guys like Cyril Richardson out of Baylor or James Hurst out of North Carolina if you're looking for a RT.

Monroe got dealt to the Ravens at the deadline this season.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
Pastor Dillon wrote:

I specifically said draft a QB if we get pick 1, but if we win this week, then we won't get bridgewater

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: