Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Pre-Season Week 4 49ers @ Texans GDT
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:14 pm    Post subject: Pre-Season Week 4 49ers @ Texans GDT Reply with quote

Battle for the backup spot, and roster spots.

The pass rushers should be licking their chops with Gabbertt starting at QB for San Fran.

Carlos Hyde will be a good matchup for our run D early on.

I expect Ronnie Brown to get a lot of carries.

Has Labhart done enough to garner a roster spot?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Pre-Season Week 4 49ers @ Texans GDT Reply with quote

lumberjackchris wrote:
Battle for the backup spot, and roster spots.

Probably not before game 1, but Case hasn't shown much to make him QB2 and Savage has been looking better. Sooner than later I think Savage takes the #2 spot, and if the team (Fitzpatrick) struggles gets a shot at starter before seasons end.

Quote:
Has Labhart done enough to garner a roster spot?

I'm going on the assumption that Dre, Hopkins, Thomas, Martin and Posey have made the team. It comes down to EZ and Labhart and whether the team wants to keep 6 at WR. It seems to be a tight battle right now and whoever doesn't make the team is going to be on the PS if they slip through after the cuts.
LuckyNumber11

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Random question because he went to my high school, but any chance Zach Potter makes the final 53 man roster?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LuckyNumber11 wrote:
Random question because he went to my high school, but any chance Zach Potter makes the final 53 man roster?

Doubtful, they raved about his blocking early in camp, but he hasn't been heard from on ST's or in game action really. I think he may be a camp body, or a guy we call if someone goes down, but Anothny Denham has shown flashes of good ST's play, so if we keep 4 TE's, I think he'll be the 4th.

I'm not so sure Thomas is a lock to make the team. Martin has already jumped him as the slot guy, and with the tape teams have on Labhart, I doubt he can be stashed on the PS. Hell, Denver might pick him up to play the slot if Welker is out for any amount of time.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumberjackchris wrote:
LuckyNumber11 wrote:

Doubtful, they raved about his blocking early in camp, but he hasn't been heard from on ST's or in game action really. I think he may be a camp body, or a guy we call if someone goes down, but Anothny Denham has shown flashes of good ST's play, so if we keep 4 TE's, I think he'll be the 4th.

I'm not so sure Thomas is a lock to make the team. Martin has already jumped him as the slot guy, and with the tape teams have on Labhart, I doubt he can be stashed on the PS. Hell, Denver might pick him up to play the slot if Welker is out for any amount of time.

Thanks for responding, hope he can manage to make it

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Im O'Brien I would play Keenum the whole 1st half and Savage the whole 2nd half. I would also play Nix mostly the whole game so he can get back to game shape. Same with Brandon Brooks.

Quote:
I'm going on the assumption that Dre, Hopkins, Thomas, Martin and Posey have made the team. It comes down to EZ and Labhart and whether the team wants to keep 6 at WR. It seems to be a tight battle right now and whoever doesn't make the team is going to be on the PS if they slip through after the cuts.

I dont think it's a guarantee Martin makes the team. He already lost his return job and he hasnt been that impressive receiving the ball like Labhart has. I like EZ's and Labharts chances of making the team than Martin personally.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texansfan713 wrote:
If Im O'Brien I would play Keenum the whole 1st half and Savage the whole 2nd half. I would also play Nix mostly the whole game so he can get back to game shape. Same with Brandon Brooks.

Quote:

I dont think it's a guarantee Martin makes the team. He already lost his return job and he hasnt been that impressive receiving the ball like Labhart has. I like EZ's and Labharts chances of making the team than Martin personally.

I anticipate some pretty solid WRs will be released on 8/30 and with us sitting atop the waiver priority, I think we'll have at least one WR on our 53-man roster that isn't currently in a Texans uniform. Chris Givens and Austin Pettis are jostling for a spot on the Rams. Amendola is likely a cap casualty and is a high-producing receiver for the half of a season he actually plays. Josh Boyce is probably firmly on the Patriots bubble as well. Denarius Moore has apparently fallen out-of-favor with the Raiders brass. Brandon Gibson overpaid for a #3 WR in Miami. I would say that all those guys offer more immediately to the Texans than EZ and Labhart, though that could obviously change with a year of development on the practice squad. I like Labhart and I'd pull for him to make the team over EZ, but I'm not sure he'll present the best option for us after the 53-man cuts happen.

In regards to Martin losing his return spot, I think he's looked far better returning this year than has any other player we've put back there. Thomas may be better and we just haven't had a chance to see it yet. And it'd make sense that if Thomas is the starter in the slot, we'll want someone else to return kicks. Personally, I really like Boyce, and it'd make sense for us to bring him in, if indeed he is released by the Patriots.
Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 4th pre season game is like the NFL taunting it's fans and laughing that's there is still 10 more days left.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pastor Dillon wrote:
The 4th pre season game is like the NFL taunting it's fans and laughing that's there is still 10 more days left.

It's also the one way you can buy football tickets for less than 10 bucks. Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

49ers plan on playing starters for some plays. It might be ugly the first couple series.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pastor Dillon wrote:
49ers plan on playing starters for some plays. It might be ugly the first couple series.

for them Twisted Evil
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grimes is impressing. Love his running style. Keenum needs to step it up because if Savage impresses when he gets on the team then he will be cut.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mercilus you have to make that sack on Gabbert and as soon as I say that he gets a sack. Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mercilus making sure people don't forget about him.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pleasant stinking it up. Keo might make the team by default.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: