Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Official 2014 Fire Rick Smith Countdown
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:10 pm    Post subject: Official 2014 Fire Rick Smith Countdown Reply with quote

I went ahead and started a new thread for this topic since it was going to be buried in the Louis Nix IR / Ryan Pickett thread over time. By no means am I attempting to throw in the towel on 2014 in Week 3, but it remains abundantly clear to me that Rick Smith will never be the guy to get us where we need to go. You simply cannot get there when the "build thru the draft" GM can't find contributors beyond the first round or two and spends most seasons scraping the skid row of street free agents to fill important spots on the roster. 9 years is long enough to rule out the occasional "bit by the injury bug" excuse (as if that is ever legit in a sport with 60 man rosters) and there is a limit to how far a few inspired picks like Watt, Cushing, and D. Brown can take you when weighed with the perspective of 07-10 classes producing exactly 4 players who were retained beyond their rookie deals including 2 already mentioned to go with the absurd Brice McCain resigning and Garret Graham who is at best a TE2. I'm not going to break down the past 4 drafts, yet again, but it's quite telling when one of the 5 or so picks beyond the 2nd round to impact any team is doing so as NT for the Patriots.

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My other thoughts from other threads on this topic:

As good a time as any to start beating the HTF does Rick Smith still have a job drum. Just to recap, this is our 4th season running a 3/4 base defense which any DC will tell you is predicated upon a strong presence in the middle to enable the guys on the outside to inflict the damage. Thus far we have started a failed smallish DE in Shaun Cody (who is out of the league), a middling smallish DT in Earl Mitchell (who is riding the bench in Miami) and an illiterate, 6th rounder with 6 career tackles in Jarrell Powe. Now we get a 35 year old fatty in Ryan Pickett who got destroyed in GB last year almost as much as he destroyed buffets at Golden Corral.

4 years at ILB has gotten us 2 healthy years of Cushing and a season of a gimpy Demeco playing out of position along with laughable garbage like Bradie James, Sharpton, Ruud, Mays, Mohamed, Tarpinion, Dobbins, Alexander. Basically we have started a gaggle of unwanted street free agents and udfa's (meaning players nobody wanted) who nobody wanted after they left.

DE had been solid with Antonio Smith who was one of the few players in the front 7 playing with any fire last season and cast him aside for a $4.5 million salary (less than the dead money we are paying for Ed Reed and Daniel Manning) and left the job to yet another failed college pass rusher who still has never done anything without Suh next to him. There was NOTHING in Jared Crick's resume that pointed to him being able to hold up against the run and whammo, "beasts" like Rashad Jennings, Derek Carr, Albert Morris, and Roy Helu are running all over us.

Sure, everyone liked "the potential" of Louis Nix III, but clearly there was a reason 83 players were taken before him (fat & lazy with a bad knee). Great guy if you want to have a lively party, but this guy sure looks the part of Frank Okam as a smart big guy who peaked early in college at a glamor program then stopped working at it as the slow motor stopped turning over. It is amazing how inept Rick has been in the 3rd round where the real GM's start earning their money as his glam program focus has brought us Nix, B. Williams, S. Montgomery, D. Posey, and Antoine Caldwell, Slaton. Of course, the two times he went off his ESPN Game of the Week sheet in the 3rd, it brought us Eastern Kentucky's Antuan Molden and Jacoby Jones (at least Nix, Montgomery, and Williams will never cost us a playoff game).

You can already hear the simpleton Texan fans ready to drive the bullpen bus over short-timer Ryan Fitzpatrick when the reality of the Texans true futility can be found with Rick Smith and his abysmal results outside of the 1st two rounds the past 8 drafts. QB is an obvious weak link (one that could have been filled if he had just dealt that 3rd rounder to move up and get Teddy Bridgewater), but the true problem in the Rick Smith era has been his repeated inability to address other obvious weak links like RT, Slot Receiver, ILB, FS, Nickel back and even a few he created like dumping Quin, Winston, Manning, Barwin, and Antoinio Smith for inferior replacements with negligible cost savings. Of course, when the punter (who even managed to contribute to a loss this week) is amongst the top dozen highest paid players on the team, who could question the fiscal brilliance of the paper pusher that has assembled a roster certain to garner another opportunity to stockpile high draft picks to burn.

Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another re-post

The first step to recovery is to admit we have a problem. McNair, the local press, and many of the fans remain in deep denial about the GM's role in the state of the franchise. While I respect Bob's loyalty, we have a nasty habit of holding on too long to failed players, coaches, and front office personnel which merely prolongs the failure and forestalls real solutions. We clung to misguided hope that Kubiak would somehow "fix" David Carr and picked up his option which burned another season and killed our cap for two more. We repeated the same mistake practically note by note with Schaub. Of course, that move was made possible by not addressing Kubiak and Smith after their cycle of mediocrity ran full course in returning to 6-10 in 2010 largely due to Kubs nepotism and complete ignorance on the defensive front and his lackey Rick, going along with every one sided move to serve the OC in HC clothing. Sure Wade brought 2 playoff appearances, but such half-measures ultimately fail and keeping Smith around after last seasons return to zero just sets us back further (witness the failure to make a simple move to get a viable QB in Bridgewater while instead drafting a backup Guard and burning our high 4th & 5th round picks to again draft damaged goods in the 3rd with Nix).

No, I don't have a name to throw out there as our next GM, but I can promise you that it would take me about 10 minutes to find a guy more qualified than Rick Smith was when he was hired (a 36 year old paper pusher that Kubiak could control). Rick had his chance to step outside of Kubiak's shadow the past few seasons (advancing to becoming McNair's lackey with moves like the Ed Reed/Glover Quin debacle) and no GM should survive the pathetic draft returns the past 3 seasons and his clear inability to fit personnel into a 3-4 (the same thing that doomed Casserly). Personally, I am glad Rick stuck around long enough NOT to bow to fan pressure and reach for a certain backup bafoon that Cleveland got, but I suspect he'll rejoin the Shanny clan in Cleve, or his buddies Ozzie & Kubie with Balt WHEN we let him go. Like Kubiak, Smith has always been a class act and I will wish him well, but the time has come to move on and assemble a front office capable of building a champion which clearly will never happen when Rick can barely manage to add 1 or 2 long-term pieces a season to a 53 man roster.

Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell us how you really feel 😄
amazingandre

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

His time is definitely up. Hopefully the lack of talent and depth on this team is made abundantly clear to McNair this season with the new coaching staff. His failures in the middle rounds are destroying this team.
Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He has been money in round 1, only Okoye was a bust and he was still a good choice.

2nd round is another story.

He traded 2 of them for Schaub which I guess was worth it
Then there was Barwin and Tate who both left after rookie deals

Brooks reed is still a maybe

Brandon Harris is gone

After that it's down right twrribel.
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one goes back a while, but this week has continued to show what a complete fail Rick's 2012 draft was (along with 2013 & 2014). In 2012 we sat on the cusp of breaking thru after our first playoff season and instead of filling in the gaps, Rick and Kubiak got cute and frittered away our 2nd rounder which could have yielded Lavonte David, Rueben Randle, or Dwayne Allen to reach badly on Devier Posey in the third and Keshawn Martin in the 4th. Compounding the mistake of passing on 3 players that would have been solid 2nd rounders was the choice of Posey, who was a character concern and out of football nearly a year after an underwhelming college career, instead of a dynamic deep threat out of the slot in TY Hilton or a proven do-it-all receiver like Sanu who seemed to all to be Kevin Walter Jr. with twice the athleticism. Of course, Russell Wilson and Nick Foles both went in that 3rd round as well, but Smith and Kubiak were so concerned about not providing ammo to the Schaub-haters as he came off another injury that they didn't bother looking QB despite finishing the season with TJ Yates starting 5 games and our first 2 playoff games and the poor historical returns of players coming off lisfranc injuries. I still think S Harrison Smith over Whitney Mercilus and just keeping Barwin (and avoiding the Ed Reed debacle) was also a critical miscalculation, but any draft can be picked apart in hindsight with better players taken after the ones we took. I do think the wheels of this team came off in the 2nd round of the 2012 draft especially if you consider the high picks we've had to spend on WRs and TEs since vs. having Hilton and Allen and wasting a season starting Case Keenum vs. having Wilson, Foles (or Cousins instead of Ben Jones) ready to take over when Schaub faltered.

At the very least, I like that O'Brien wasn't afraid to bring in Mallett who will get more and more popular with each Fitz led loss. Also, the cap reality would make it difficult to draft a QB high in 2015 if we burned a 2nd last year which is why I still like the Savage pick as a smart long-term move if we didn't think Bridgewater would hold up or rightly viewed Garoppolo as just another long-term project like Savage and not someone we could win with the next two years.

amazingandre

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My problem with Mallett vs Fitz playing right now is very simple. Fitz is in his 10th season, he is what he is. A below average 1:1 (on a good season) TD:INT ratio guy and not very clutch (thats why his teams have NEVER made the playoffs).

With Mallett it is a big fat question mark. If there is ANY DESIRE at all to resign him, you need to play him extensively this season and see what he is made out of. Resigning him with less than 8 games played is a giant mistake and I hope we do not do that. Either play him now and ride the season out (all this hoopla about winning now, Fitz is playing like one of the worst starting abs this season in almost every category, he isn't the reason we are 3-3. Mallett should be able to perform very similarly.). Ride it out and determine what the future will be at qb, Mallett, Savage or someone else.
shep0507

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazingandre wrote:
My problem with Mallett vs Fitz playing right now is very simple. Fitz is in his 10th season, he is what he is. A below average 1:1 (on a good season) TD:INT ratio guy and not very clutch (thats why his teams have NEVER made the playoffs).

With Mallett it is a big fat question mark. If there is ANY DESIRE at all to resign him, you need to play him extensively this season and see what he is made out of. Resigning him with less than 8 games played is a giant mistake and I hope we do not do that. Either play him now and ride the season out (all this hoopla about winning now, Fitz is playing like one of the worst starting abs this season in almost every category, he isn't the reason we are 3-3. Mallett should be able to perform very similarly.). Ride it out and determine what the future will be at qb, Mallett, Savage or someone else.

I've been kind of back and forth on Fitzpatrick since his signing. I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt and a chance to prove himself. Unfortunately, at this point, he's shown to be exactly what we thought he would be, an average quarterback that has moments of good play, always with the haze of disaster hanging over his head. He's a decent enough veteran presence that can play if needed, but at this point, I agree with you. He shouldn't be starting right now.

The thing none of us have mentioned about the QB position is that Fitzpatrick is signed to a 2 year contract, with only this season guaranteed. That means that Mallett could take over as starter to see what he's got, and if he's terrible, let him walk and go back to Fitzy next year. Sometimes I get the feeling that the FO and coaches are trying to limit Mallett's playing time to keep that draft pick as a 7th and that they plan to play him later in the season when there's no way he'll get to 40% of the team's snaps.

20-30, 211 Yds 2 TDs 1 INTs/-4 Yd rush
Snap Counter
Mallett 84
Texans 630
Percent: 13.33% Trade:7th rd pick
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shep0507 wrote:
amazingandre wrote:

I've been kind of back and forth on Fitzpatrick since his signing. I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt and a chance to prove himself. Unfortunately, at this point, he's shown to be exactly what we thought he would be, an average quarterback that has moments of good play, always with the haze of disaster hanging over his head. He's a decent enough veteran presence that can play if needed, but at this point, I agree with you. He shouldn't be starting right now.

The thing none of us have mentioned about the QB position is that Fitzpatrick is signed to a 2 year contract, with only this season guaranteed. That means that Mallett could take over as starter to see what he's got, and if he's terrible, let him walk and go back to Fitzy next year. Sometimes I get the feeling that the FO and coaches are trying to limit Mallett's playing time to keep that draft pick as a 7th and that they plan to play him later in the season when there's no way he'll get to 40% of the team's snaps.

I think you guys are missing the reality that we are 3-3 with recent last second losses to 2 of the best teams in football. We are currently 1 game out of the playoffs and Baltimore and Cleveland (who are ahead of us for the WC) certainly don't seem like teams we can't catch and I'm comfortable with our position ahead of Pittsburgh & Buffalo. In the real world NFL vs. fantasy or blogosphere, you don't bench your QB who is completing 65% of his passes behind a shoddy line while operating the run oriented system his coach chose to employ. The unknown quantity that is the backup QB is always the favorite "answer" of fans who oversimplify issues facing teams. Sure, on forums we love to just tank seasons and build for next year, but we hired a coach to win football games and he's fielding the team that gets us the best chance of doing so and that includes Fitz who has 90 NFL games under his belt vs. Mallett who has completed one NFL pass and thrown one interception in his career. I think most agree that there will come a time when we end up seeing Mallett, but for me that time comes either when Fitz is clearly the problem, not the o-line and secondary as it was this week, or when the season has digressed to a point where you start making moves to evaluate the 2015 roster.

Not that I'm happy about giving the Cowboys credit for anything, but who among us geniuses wasn't laughing at the lack of talent on that defense and gloating about their pending lost season after week 1. Rod Marinelli didn't throw in the towel and has them playing at a level they haven't seen since Wade's peak and their run-based offensive attack finally gives them a legit shot by minimizing mistakes. Funny how you're not hearing all the idiot Cowboy fans who wanted to ditch Romo for Johnny now (or even Browns fans calling for Johnny for that matter). O'Brien is 6 who games into his coaching career taking over the worst team in football last year and if you look at most of the current candidates for worst team, it's the one's with inexperienced QBs running the show (Raiders, Redskins, Vikings, Bucs, Rams, Jets, Jags, Titans). We had our "throw in the towel" season last year and I think it's a bit soon to join the ranks of the teams handing over the keys to some unproven QB on the hope that he's more Nick Foles than Thaddeus Lewis.

shep0507

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apollo Stallion wrote:
I think you guys are missing the reality that we are 3-3 with recent last second losses to 2 of the best teams in football. We are currently 1 game out of the playoffs and Baltimore and Cleveland (who are ahead of us for the WC) certainly don't seem like teams we can't catch and I'm comfortable with our position ahead of Pittsburgh & Buffalo. In the real world NFL vs. fantasy or blogosphere, you don't bench your QB who is completing 65% of his passes behind a shoddy line while operating the run oriented system his coach chose to employ. The unknown quantity that is the backup QB is always the favorite "answer" of fans who oversimplify issues facing teams. Sure, on forums we love to just tank seasons and build for next year, but we hired a coach to win football games and he's fielding the team that gets us the best chance of doing so and that includes Fitz who has 90 NFL games under his belt vs. Mallett who has completed one NFL pass and thrown one interception in his career. I think most agree that there will come a time when we end up seeing Mallett, but for me that time comes either when Fitz is clearly the problem, not the o-line and secondary as it was this week, or when the season has digressed to a point where you start making moves to evaluate the 2015 roster.

Not that I'm happy about giving the Cowboys credit for anything, but who among us geniuses wasn't laughing at the lack of talent on that defense and gloating about their pending lost season after week 1. Rod Marinelli didn't throw in the towel and has them playing at a level they haven't seen since Wade's peak and their run-based offensive attack finally gives them a legit shot by minimizing mistakes. Funny how you're not hearing all the idiot Cowboy fans who wanted to ditch Romo for Johnny now (or even Browns fans calling for Johnny for that matter). O'Brien is 6 who games into his coaching career taking over the worst team in football last year and if you look at most of the current candidates for worst team, it's the one's with inexperienced QBs running the show (Raiders, Redskins, Vikings, Bucs, Rams, Jets, Jags, Titans). We had our "throw in the towel" season last year and I think it's a bit soon to join the ranks of the teams handing over the keys to some unproven QB on the hope that he's more Nick Foles than Thaddeus Lewis.

I'm not missing that reality. I've mentioned a couple of times that O'Brien is doing what it takes to win, because that's what coaches do. His job and "legacy" are at stake. Like I said, I've been back and forth on Fitzpatrick. I agree that he hasn't been horrible, in fact he's been fairly solid in most cases. I also realize that this team is in the playoff hunt, exactly as I predicted in the preseason. Conventional wisdom says you don't replace a solid QB when you're in the hunt. The problem is that even if this is a playoff team, it's not a team built to have a long run in the playoffs. The two playoff runs we've seen were fun to watch, but where did it get us? 2-14, a coaching staff fired and the #1 pick in the draft.

I would personally love for this team to make the playoffs if just to shut up the idiot commentators that saw 2-14 and believe that that team was the worst team in the league and that this is the same team. I would prefer though that this team was realistic that Ryan Fitzpatrick is not the long term answer and see what Mallett has. That way, if he isn't worth resigning, the search can continue with Fitzpatrick as the bridge. Playoff seasons, or even just missing the playoffs make teams believe they're close and nothing major is changed. GM's don't get fired, QBs don't get let go, and the draft is centered around "filling holes". This team doesn't need a reload, it needs a semi-rebuild.

I agree that back up QBs are rarely the answer, but the precedent is there. Brady, Rodgers, Steve Young, etc all started as backups. Don't get me wrong, I am in no way comparing Mallett to them, but it has happened. The only way to know is to play him. My gut tells me that either way, the Texans QB going forward isn't on the roster, but I'd like to see that for myself in a game.

20-30, 211 Yds 2 TDs 1 INTs/-4 Yd rush
Snap Counter
Mallett 84
Texans 630
Percent: 13.33% Trade:7th rd pick
shep0507

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, nice dig at the Duke fan with the Thad Lewis comment.
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shep0507 wrote:
By the way, nice dig at the Duke fan with the Thad Lewis comment.

Not necessarily a dig, especially with Duke notching another impressive victory this weekend over Georgia Tech to move to the fringes of the top 25 (and probably should be ranked over Stanford who has nothing but losses to good teams on their resume. BTW - it was Bill O'Brien's work with Thaddeus Lewis at Duke that helped get him noticed by Belichick. Simple fact is that aside from his time with Brady where he integrated the 2 tight end set into their attack, O'Brien's reputation has largely been built on winning offenses mostly led by mediocre QBs.

That doesn't mean we want to build our team around Matt McGloin or some marginal NFL talent, but I do think that there is value to implementing the system with a battle tested vet like Fitz vs. some rookie or player starting for the first time in his career. The Texans have a very solid chance of beating the Steelers, Titans on the road and could hang with the Eagles at home heading into the bye or at least 2 of 3 as long as we stick to our conservative offensive plan allowing the defense and run game to lead the way, while inserting Mallett now invites the opportunity to throw each of those games away with "rookie" mistakes that he still exhibits in pre-season games. If we lose 2 or 3 of these and Fitz plays a more significant part in losing them than a fumble or int against extreme pressure, I'm all for making a change at the bye and playing the remaining 7 games with an eye towards seeing what we have in Mallett and maybe Savage if the wheels totally come off, but anything before then is premature and we probably lose intensity throughout the clubhouse like last year.

Right now guys like AJ, Deandre, the o-line, run defense and the secondary haven't lived up to their end of the bargain either, so lets not think Mallett fixes any of those things, but rather likely makes them worse in the short-term. Without question, Fitz needs to help get this team out to a lead or at least provide longer sustained drives early in games with some timely 3rd down conversions and let the d and run game roll to victory, but I think Mallett more than likely digs us earlier holes with turnovers that Fitz has not been committing.

If we were coming up against Denver, SD, New Orleans, or Green Bay I might support throwing caution to the wind and seeing if Mallett can win shootouts with his arm, but against our next 3 opponents, ball control and minimizing mistakes is the path to victory and Fitz is that guy. If you want to see how this works, look at Buffalo beating Detroit with lame old Kyle Orton vs. Minny nearly getting shut out vs. them with a mistake filled effort behind Teddy. We might not be a sexy offense to watch this year, but we are built much more like Arizona, Seattle, SF, or Carolina teams than pass happy Falcons, Saints, Redskins, or Pittsburgh who might win more if they stopped taking all the sacks, committing turnovers, and exposing their weak secondaries. We may be disappointing the fantasy crowd, but the Falcons would be closer to a Super Bowl right now had they not sold out to get Julio Jones for Ryan, the Lions defense will get them to the playoffs quicker than forcing the ball to Megatron did, and Cleveland is winning despite being without their only dynamic offensive star in years (Gordon). There is more than one way to win in this league and we still have more playoffs wins than fantasy heros like Stafford or Ryan do.

amazingandre

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are 3-3 because of solid defense and a stout run game. Not because of our qb. He has done little to help with that 3-3 record. Our playmakers IMO make him look better than he is. I honestly dislike him more than Schaub. I think his accuracy is a step down and his ability to read defense is not nearly as good. He is one of the worst starters this season so far, so it's not like the drop off can be THAT much worse. He is this year's Case Keenum except Fitz has Foster and a healthier defense at his disposal, not to mention we were out of it before Case took his snaps last season, the team folded. My point is, Foster and a solid defense has us at 3-3 with wins vs teams with a combined 4-13. Not exactly striking fear in anyone. Fitz is bad in reading defenses, bad in pre-snap reads, bad with accuracy and even worse yet, like Case, bad at getting the ball out quick on blitzes. I think the winning is hiding some of our problems and I think Fitz is making it look like more problems than actually exist (play calling, utilizing TEs and wry with separation).
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since this thread is about why Rick Smith should be fired, why has there not been more discussion about why the hell we let Connor Barwin walk. The Eagles got him for a paltry $3 million signing bonus and puny $700k and $4.3 million salaries last year and this year. We signed a punter for almost that much with a 3 year / $5.5 million deal, not to mention the horrific Brice McCain resigning at 3 years / $5.25 million! Sure the back end of Barwin's Eagles deal escalates quite a bit, but he's exceeded it so far and nothing beyonf this year is guaranteed, so the can cut bait with virtually no cap hit over the next 4 years. Barwin already has 6 sacks this year and destroyed Eli Manning this week who looked unstoppable vs. us. We don't have an LB with more than one sack right now and Brooks Reed has 6.5 sacks in the past 3 seasons combined! We have spent 2 first round picks and a 2nd rounder on OLBs since Barwin yet he has still impacted more games than any of them. Furthermore unlike the other 3, Barwin has proven to be a complete LB as a solid run stopper and above average in coverage with 10 passes defensed last year plus an int. He racked up 59 tackles last year and is on pace for more this year. Barwin was clearly a leader on this d yet Rick chose to try to buy new leadership with Ed Reed who clearly was damaged goods that quickly became a cancer in the locker room. Again, how does this stuff not stick to teflon Rick???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: