Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Official BAYLOR, A&M, NC State, and Coogs Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 26, 27, 28  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since our Aggies beat Bama, does that make us national champions? Wink

P.S Johnny Football and the ags put 20 unanswered points on Bama to start the game, just let that sink in....

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenney wrote:
Jacobys Homey wrote:
kenney wrote:
Any questions?

Congratulations on a great season, Kenney. I hadn't watched a player single handily dominate a game like Manziel did in the Cotton Bowl all year.

Thanks.

Now I'll wait on Apollo.

No absolutely, the Aggies & Johnny deserve all the accolades that come their way. Johnny put more distance between him and his Heisman field last week than I can remember in a long time, but let's also not completely dismiss the diminished resumes of LSU and Florida the week before as well.

However, I do gotta laugh at the transitive property that people are conveniently applying to A&M but not any of the other Big 12 teams with comparable, if not superior offenses to A&M. Agree that A&M probably had the best or 2nd best o-line in the country (next to Bama), but that secondary would have been tested had it come up weekly against the Big 12 this year (Baylor, Tech, OU, OSU, West Virginia were 5 of the top 7 passing offenses in the nation) and the 1st half against OU still showed that vulnerability. Bama throttling an SEC-light/Big10ish Notre Dame team that generally won all of it's close games by keeping teams out of the end zone and putting up 20 points themselves proves little to me. The BS BCS again slid an SEC team into a mismatch instead of a real test like Oregon would have provided, but at least this farce will partially get addressed in 2014 with a 4 team playoff. Nick Saban again proved himself to have no equal when it comes to preparing for a big game, but that does nothing to prove that the SEC is the best conference, just that it has a great team on top, just like the Big 12 did when OU & Texas where dominating. Even he would tell you that this was his weakest team and pretty much did in Saban-esque code.

As for A&M, things have obviously never been brighter, but the Ags let expectations get out of hand in 2011 as well while ignoring the impact of losing pieces less significant than Joeckel, Patrick Lewis, and possibly Jake Matthews from that o-line that deserved a 50% share of that Heisman. Ryan Swope was also massive part of this offense for 4 years that is irreplaceable as he also was it's heart and important steadying influence helping Johnny's development. Just like losing Von Miller in 2011 caused a ripple effect throughout the defense, losing Damontre Moore will make each unit suffer. I'm sure there are plenty of reinforcements coming via the recruiting train, but it is also entirely possible that what you saw this year was the perfect confluence of leftover parts from the Sherman o-line/d-line oriented recruiting and Sumlin's skill position focus. Obviously, Johnny shows that redshirts can impact quickly, but I don't think there is anyone that steps in and provides what Joeckel, Swope, and Moore did this year. SEC DCs also clearly have been alerted that stopping Johnny Football is required to get to the BCS next year so I suspect there may be a little more offseason focus than there was when their arrogance had them snicker at the UH/Tech offense having a prayer against mighty SEC defenses. I also think A&M is going to have it's hands full keeping Johnny contained for 3 more years as the multiple alcohol-related arrests and boozed up pictures continue to paint a picture that should at least concern Aggies that don't just excuse it away with the usual "boys will be boys" response.

And yes - Baylor got shafted by being 26th in the AP. Michigan lost 5 games which coincidentally are also the only 5 decent teams they played. Baylor had the #1 offense in the nation, beat the #1 team in the country at the time, and beat 4 ranked teams in a row to close the season (4 more than any team ranked 21-25 beat). Coaches (USA Today) continue to be even more ridiculous as they had UCLA over Baylor even though Baylor thoroughly dominated UCLA in the Holiday Bowl two weeks ago. Heck, maybe A&M should be national champs using that logic.

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An interesting look at the Big 12 after the bowl season.

The Big 12 really hurt its credibility in the bowl season, as league co-champions Kansas State and Oklahoma were dominated in their bowl games. On top of that, both teams lost with senior quarterbacks who were the key cogs in their offenses. Every other team in the conference had at least four losses in 2012, and the way Texas has performed the past three seasons, a lot of people will likely be picking Oklahoma State or Baylor to win the Big 12 in 2013.

After going 26-4 against weak nonconference competition (0-1 versus ranked teams) in the regular season, Big 12 teams went 4-5 in bowl games. The Alamo Bowl win by Texas over Oregon State ended up being the best nonconference victory for the Big 12 all season, and Oklahoma's loss to Notre Dame looks even worse after what happened to the Irish on Jan. 7 against Alabama. When the rest of the country doesn't believe that either the Sooners or Longhorns can be competitive with the best teams from the SEC, that hurts the perception of the entire Big 12, no matter how good you might think anyone else in the league could be.

If Baylor can get legit play out of their new QB next year they could be playing in the Fiesta bowl.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumberjackchris wrote:

The Big 12 really hurt its credibility in the bowl season, as league co-champions Kansas State and Oklahoma were dominated in their bowl games. On top of that, both teams lost with senior quarterbacks who were the key cogs in their offenses. Every other team in the conference had at least four losses in 2012, and the way Texas has performed the past three seasons, a lot of people will likely be picking Oklahoma State or Baylor to win the Big 12 in 2013.

After going 26-4 against weak nonconference competition (0-1 versus ranked teams) in the regular season, Big 12 teams went 4-5 in bowl games. The Alamo Bowl win by Texas over Oregon State ended up being the best nonconference victory for the Big 12 all season, and Oklahoma's loss to Notre Dame looks even worse after what happened to the Irish on Jan. 7 against Alabama. When the rest of the country doesn't believe that either the Sooners or Longhorns can be competitive with the best teams from the SEC, that hurts the perception of the entire Big 12, no matter how good you might think anyone else in the league could be.

If Baylor can get legit play out of their new QB next year they could be playing in the Fiesta bowl.

I know I read that from somewhere else, so you should quote wherever you got it from.

And yeah, it's a possibility. But i'd put TCU and Oklahoma ahead of us at this point (seriously its still way early). I would've put OkieLite there had Joseph Randle not declared. I'll know how excited to get about the Bears after watching some spring practices and the spring game.
Deep roots are not reached by the frost
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacobys Homey wrote:
lumberjackchris wrote:

I know I read that from somewhere else, so you should quote wherever you got it from.

And yeah, it's a possibility. But i'd put TCU and Oklahoma ahead of us at this point (seriously its still way early). I would've put OkieLite there had Joseph Randle not declared. I'll know how excited to get about the Bears after watching some spring practices and the spring game.

My bad, forgot to put it. It's by Brad Edwards at ESPN, it's a small piece of an insider article.

Idk about Oklahoma, I don't see Bell as a viable QB but I guess will see since he won't just be running on the field when the teams inside the 5.

TCU's D is stacked next year bringing back 10 starters, including the Big 12 Freshman Defensive POY in Fields.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firsts off I think Jacobyshomie needs to change this thread title to College Sports.

That being said, this is a huge day for 2 of our posters schools.

TD's Gophers play @ Indiana and Grasspike's State squad hosts #1 Duke.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumberjackchris wrote:
Firsts off I think Jacobyshomie needs to change this thread title to College Sports.

Yeah, it's big time. I have no hope for State today, because they can't defend the post. They don't defend the perimeter particularly well either, and they don't score that well when they're not running the ball up and down the floor (and a huge part of Duke's success is making other teams play to their pace, so I don't see State getting a huge amount of transition points like they normally do.

Sig by matthouston91
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grasspike wrote:
lumberjackchris wrote:

Yeah, it's big time. I have no hope for State today, because they can't defend the post. They don't defend the perimeter particularly well either, and they don't score that well when they're not running the ball up and down the floor (and a huge part of Duke's success is making other teams play to their pace, so I don't see State getting a huge amount of transition points like they normally do.

Never underestimate the power of home court especially in college ball

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8KbNmJQllmg

This was my favorite game last year, next to the Austin Rivers buzzer beater at UNC.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumberjackchris wrote:

Agree somewhat, but again it is ridiculous to criticize the Big 12 out of conference schedule when the SEC as "greatest conference in the history of humanity" had a vastly softer out of conference schedule - including 14 MORE out of conference games and out of conference borderline by weeks strategically placed to insure late poll momentum while others were playing 8th and 9th conference games. Big 12 had 9 of 12 bowl eligible despite lack of conference fluff while SEC had 9 of 14.

Big 12 did itself no favors at the top, but I don't think many teams would have faired much better against Oregon or A&M at the end (which would have been a fun matchup in a playoff). Baylor domination of Pac 12 South Champion UCLA and Texas win over Oregon State clearly put some distance between the Big 12 and Pac 12's second tier (although it remains ridiculous that Texas has been second tier for nearly an entire class now). Big 10 was a joke again at 2-5 and I hope we've dispensed with the farce that was the MAC (2-5) and all those dumb bowls they get invited to over deserving teams. LSU and Florida were exposed as overrated as well, but as long as Alabama wins, the 10 other mediocre to bad SEC teams get to proclaim themselves part of this monster conference that is primarily more about one coach who may go down as the best ever before he is done.

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man I would love Leslie in a rockets uni. He's a monster, a stronger Rudy Gay.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumberjackchris wrote:
Jacobyshomie

What is that?

And, i'm on it bro. Love talking some Baylor Basketball Cool
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacobys Homey wrote:
lumberjackchris wrote:
Jacobyshomie

What is that?

My bad, couldnt remember how it was spelt while I was typing.

I love Isaiah Austin's talent and ability, but just wish he had a better low-post game. He's a 7 footer play like it!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumberjackchris wrote:
Jacobys Homey wrote:
lumberjackchris wrote:
Jacobyshomie

What is that?

I love Isaiah Austin's talent and ability, but just wish he had a better low-post game. He's a 7 footer play like it!

Eh, I disagree. He is no Perry Jones, he has terrific touch around the rim and a great 3-5 foot game.
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacobys Homey wrote:
lumberjackchris wrote:
Jacobys Homey wrote:
lumberjackchris wrote:
Jacobyshomie

What is that?

Eh, I disagree. He is no Perry Jones, he has terrific touch around the rim and a great 3-5 foot game.

I guess it's more of a, I wish he was more physical than finesse

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumberjackchris wrote:
Jacobys Homey wrote:
lumberjackchris wrote:
Jacobys Homey wrote:
lumberjackchris wrote:
Jacobyshomie

What is that?

I guess it's more of a, I wish he was more physical than finesse

Still only 18. He was 6'2" as a sophomore, I believe. He's still growing into that frame.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Page 14 of 28

Jump to: