Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Random Thread V: Random Strikes Back
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 55, 56, 57 ... 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Vote for these randomly selected Wikipedia topics:
1990–91 U.C. Sampdoria season
17%
 17%  [ 6 ]
Ajidaar-Unkyur
8%
 8%  [ 3 ]
1813 in literature
17%
 17%  [ 6 ]
Arvind Mohan Kayastha
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Mszanowo
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Vaynor
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
KQRX
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Gallatin, Tennessee
22%
 22%  [ 8 ]
Latin Quarter (film)
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Parapiptadenia rigida
20%
 20%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 35

48 1/2ers

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrissooner49er wrote:
steadypimpin wrote:
Patrick Willis shot a snake and posted it on FB now he's getting a whole bunch of heat over it.

Well, I can understand that--to an extent. If he shot something endangered or it wasn't threatening him, then I would have a problem with anyone killing it.
Last week, I saw a 3 foot black ratsnake in my backyard and I basically thought, "Hey there little buddy! Stick around, make certain no mice get in my house!" Told my wife and she said "Don't pick it up! I want it to stick around and eat any mice!". Great minds think alike.
Yes, I am a bit of a snake enthusiast. I don't keep any, but I find them fascinating. Can identify most on sight. Can't stand it when they are slain needlessly.

Lol I have no problem with him killing the snake...people overreact a lot. Laughing

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did any of our sig makers make a 2012 division champs or nfc champs sig? I just realized how outdated mine is Laughing

janky wrote:
Bridgewater won't be better than Brandon Weeden
AT49ers

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000169163/article/chris-ault-hired-by-kansas-city-chiefs-as-consultant

Don't know if anyone posted this elsewhere but it's a shame because i would have loved to see Kap with his old head coach perfecting the pistol. But at least it went to the Chiefs. I'm not sure how it would be incorporated into their offense though.

props to WalterRedskins on the great sig
adamq

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just finished the patriot.. such a great movie. doesn't seem like there's ever any great movies that come out anymore...

-kiltman
Chrissooner49er

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adamq wrote:
just finished the patriot.. such a great movie. doesn't seem like there's ever any great movies that come out anymore...

Personally, I love what Peter Jackson did with "The Lord of the Rings" and I may like what he is doing with "The Hobbit" even more... If you want to make a great movie, it helps to start with great literature.
Personally, I don't believe "The Great Gatsby" fits as great literature so I won't bother to see the movie.
adamq

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrissooner49er wrote:
adamq wrote:

Personally, I love what Peter Jackson did with "The Lord of the Rings" and I may like what he is doing with "The Hobbit" even more... If you want to make a great movie, it helps to start with great literature.
Personally, I don't believe "The Great Gatsby" fits as great literature so I won't bother to see the movie.

really? I loved the book, but the Movie looks awful to me.. I troed reading the hobbitt in school but hated it, still need to govr the movies a shot

-kiltman
y2lamanaki

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrissooner49er wrote:

Shocked

The Great Gatsby is widely considered to be one of the greatest novels of all-time.

Frank Gore Career Rushing List Tracker:

*Currently Ranked 27th All-Time
*Yards needed to pass #26, Ottis Anderson: 49
*Yards needed to enter Top 20: 743
NINERFAN_4_LIFE

Location: Buring the eternal flame Candlestick Park, wondering if I should throw my levis into the fire
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adamq wrote:

Inception, oceans 11, django unchained ... I could go on but I'm in class at the moment
Psychlone

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newest member to the family.
Sig p226 X5 Competition. Awaiting deportation from AZ then she'll be out of jail 10 days later...

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Psychlone wrote:
Sig p226 X5 Competition. Awaiting deportation from AZ then she'll be out of jail 10 days later...

Great weapon. Good choice.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Psychlone wrote:

Sexy, cant wait till I'm 21 to get my handgun certificate.

^Kempes^
Chrissooner49er

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

y2lamanaki wrote:
Chrissooner49er wrote:

Shocked

The Great Gatsby is widely considered to be one of the greatest novels of all-time.

Ummm, yeah. I have a big problem with glorifying infidelity in marriage and never really got the point of the whole novel. Will never read it again. Will never endorse it. Great literature, IMO, should be uplifting, inspiring--not degrading or degenerate.
y2lamanaki

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrissooner49er wrote:
y2lamanaki wrote:
Chrissooner49er wrote:

Shocked

Ummm, yeah. I have a big problem with glorifying infidelity in marriage and never really got the point of the whole novel. Will never read it again. Will never endorse it. Great literature, IMO, should be uplifting, inspiring--not degrading or degenerate.

The point is simple - the book is a social commentary on the decline of the American Dream in the 1920s. People became far too wealthy before the depression and became overly materialistic, and the 'wholesome' America corroded away. If anything, Fitzgerald's and your viewpoints align almost identically.

That said, I appreciate your opinion on the novel and it's certainly not for everyone. I think your opinion of 'great literature' is more 'literature you would like' which are two very different things, the latter of which is unarguable. However, it shouldn't be what the themes of the novel are that determines its greatness, but how the themes were presented and achieved the author's goals should certainly be part of it. After all, your theory of great literature would condemn works like MacBeth, Hamlet, The Importance of Being Earnest, The Catcher in the Rye, or One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest to name a few - all of which fall into at least one of the 'not uplifting,' 'uninspiring,' 'degrading' or 'degenerate' categories.

Basically, I wholly accept your reasoning for why you may or may not like a particular piece of literature, but don't agree with how you would equate that to 'great' literature or not.

Frank Gore Career Rushing List Tracker:

*Currently Ranked 27th All-Time
*Yards needed to pass #26, Ottis Anderson: 49
*Yards needed to enter Top 20: 743
Chrissooner49er

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe my definition of great literature would necessarily exclude Shakespeare's tragedies... There is much to learn from those without so much of the unnecessary 'detailed debauchery' that other stories such as Gatsby just "had" to include.
I rather liked Brannaugh's Hamlet; really liked what I saw of Tennant's Hamlet and even Mel Gibson's Hamlet wasn't all bad. Hamlet is a great story for showing how revenge can ruin a person. MacBeth, now that I can do without...Intriguing, but reading/watching it once is enough.
Oedipus Rex(not Shakes, I know!)? Well, now that is just...eh, not gonna go there. Laughing
Big fan of Shakespeare, especially after getting to play Sebastian in "Twelfth Night" in college. That was the toughest role I had every played. I was used to playing comedic parts (such as that of Clitandre in Moliere's "The Misanthrope") and even though that was one of Shakespeare's comedies, if you know anything about "Twelfth Night", then you probably know that Sebastian doesn't have much of a sense of humor. Laughing
oldman9er

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

y2lamanaki wrote:

Cool, thanks for the summary! I just thought it was bout some dude named Gatsby, who was great.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 55, 56, 57 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 56 of 100

Jump to: