Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Random Thread V: Random Strikes Back
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 85, 86, 87 ... 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Vote for these randomly selected Wikipedia topics:
199091 U.C. Sampdoria season
17%
 17%  [ 6 ]
Ajidaar-Unkyur
8%
 8%  [ 3 ]
1813 in literature
17%
 17%  [ 6 ]
Arvind Mohan Kayastha
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Mszanowo
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Vaynor
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
KQRX
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Gallatin, Tennessee
22%
 22%  [ 8 ]
Latin Quarter (film)
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Parapiptadenia rigida
20%
 20%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 35

J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, you bring up a few drives where he led the offense to points. Well, that wasn't the point at all. No one said Smith did NOTHING, but he just had very little to do with the win.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:

Would you say Kaepernick was a big reason we beat the Texans?

I'd say football is a TEAM sport.. and everyone contributes. I think it is petty and simple-minded to try and point fingers at one aspect and not another. I see no point in faulting the offense for their defense making a couple of huge plays.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldman9er wrote:
J-ALL-DAY wrote:

I'd say football is a TEAM sport.. and everyone contributes. I think it is petty and simple-minded to try and point fingers at one aspect and not another. I see no point in faulting the offense for their defense making a couple of huge plays.

And no one is denying that. It's just that you could pretty much substitute Smith with a replacement level player and they still probably win that game.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, that is not the point at all. Of course this is a team sport, but Smith simply against the Bills did very little. There is no shame in that, and no need to deny it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UofMfan909 wrote:
And no one is denying that. It's just that you could pretty much substitute Smith with a replacement level player and they still probably win that game.

Exactly, you can't just point to a few drives where Smith led the offense to a score and say see, he did do indeed do something!!!

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steadypimpin wrote:
Wait until the Chiefs play the Broncos next week. They are averaging over 30 points a game. Do you guys think Alex ball will win that game? I have a feeling the chiefs are going to be in for a reality check next week. The Broncos will probably start out slow but that defense can't hold everyone on Denver's offense and once the score gets over 21 it will be fun to watch Alex and his offense curl up into a little ball and die for the rest of that game.

No. Alex Ball isn't going to beat the Broncos. But then again, Alex will always have those one or two statistical outlier games where he'll blow up against a team he wasn't expected to beat, and lead the team to a victory (see: New Orleans; playoffs; 2011). Either way, those Broncos/Chiefs games should prove to be very fun.

Frank Gore Career Rushing List Tracker:

*Currently Ranked 22nd All-Time
*Yards needed to pass #21, Ricky Watters: 29
*Yards needed to enter Top 20: 354
big9erfan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UofMfan909 wrote:
49ers Finest wrote:
steadypimpin wrote:
That's why that stat sucks. Is Alex the reason the Cheifs are 9-0? I'd say no. He's along for the ride doing the bare minimum like he was with us. I mean look at what he did yesterday, 120+ yards. Hell, the Cheifs D scored 14 of the 23 points. If the D didn't score they would've lost. I'd say Alex is benefiting from a beast defense again. When they see the Broncos or anyone good they're going to get stomped.

you know they were the WORST team in the league last year right

Exactly. Do you really think Smith turns the worst team in the league to a 9-0 one himself? That's insane.

As insane as it is to think he's not a big part of it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

y2lamanaki wrote:
steadypimpin wrote:
Wait until the Chiefs play the Broncos next week. They are averaging over 30 points a game. Do you guys think Alex ball will win that game? I have a feeling the chiefs are going to be in for a reality check next week. The Broncos will probably start out slow but that defense can't hold everyone on Denver's offense and once the score gets over 21 it will be fun to watch Alex and his offense curl up into a little ball and die for the rest of that game.

No. Alex Ball isn't going to beat the Broncos. But then again, Alex will always have those one or two statistical outlier games where he'll blow up against a team he wasn't expected to beat, and lead the team to a victory (see: New Orleans; playoffs; 2011). Either way, those Broncos/Chiefs games should prove to be very fun.
That's the only game Akex ever blew up in. That Saints game is the only time we've ever really seen help carry a team to victory. I swear that is like the only game Smith fans ever really bring up.

Thanks to IDOG_det on the sig!
2011 & 2012 NFC West Champs!!!
Xbox: Steadypimpin49
"Keep choppin' wood"
Psychlone

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like Mr. Peabody and I jumped into the way back machine Laughing
Is Alex solely responsible for the Chiefs being 9-0? No.
Are the Chiefs 9-0 in spite of Smith? No.
Is there a possibility that a TEAM that won only two games last year despite already having a great defense just needed a QB that doesn't screw the pooch and allow the offense to do just enough and lean on that defense? You can decide on your own but either way, the turnaround is quite impressive...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steadypimpin wrote:
I get it. You guys love Alex but take your blinders off for a minute. That Cheifs situation is eerily similar to ours.

You guys are lying if you think Alex's 128 yard game and 50's pass % helped them win yesterday.

And right back at ya. Take your own blinders off. You still think the QB with the highest winning percentage in the league over the past three seasons, playing for two separate teams including one that was the worst team in the league before he took over, sucks and that the team is winning in spite of him rather than becausse of him. And you actually say that a QB's winning percentage is a meaningless stat. Really? Is there some stat more important than winning?

And I don't think you're lying to yourself, but I do think you're wrong about the measures you use to evaluate QBS. Alex not throwing an int for the entire game did help them win yesterday - more than all the yards that Brees, and Ryan and Rivers, and Dalton had passing because their ints cost them those games. Romo lost an important game earlier this year on a late int. We'd be tied with Seattle now if Schaub hadn't thown a bad int. Brady had more ints than tds in both of NE's only two losses. Same goes for Luck in one of their two losses, and he had an int in their other loss. And on and on it goes. Not throwing ints not only matters, it matters more than anything else. And Alex is as good at that as anyone.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steadypimpin wrote:
y2lamanaki wrote:
steadypimpin wrote:

That's the only game Akex ever blew up in. That Saints game is the only time we've ever really seen help carry a team to victory. I swear that is like the only game Smith fans ever really bring up.

In 2011 ALex led the team to more 4th quarter come from behind game winning drives than all but one other QB in the league. If you think those don't count because he didn't do it by throwing a 50 or 60 yarder, think again. The time consumed in those drives was as important as the score itself.

Oh, and for your last comment you should understand that people bring that game up a lot because we came from a long way behind ... and there were very few games he started where we were ever behind by very much. Again something you don't appreciate, but it's precisely why a miraculous comeback was not something we hardly ever needed.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UofMfan909 wrote:
oldman9er wrote:
J-ALL-DAY wrote:

If it's so easy not to throw ints then why do some guys seem to do it often, and why does Alex always seem to be amoung the league leaders in lowest int rate? It simply is not true at all that any QB can play error-free ball as consistently as Alex.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
UofMfan909 wrote:

Exactly, you can't just point to a few drives where Smith led the offense to a score and say see, he did do indeed do something!!!

Know any doctors? Some can do things that others cannot, but the first rule of medicine is "DO NO HARM". Everything else follows after that. I believe that is a good analogy to the role of a QB. If a QB makes zero mistakes his team will likely always be in the game, miraculous comebacks rarely required, and wins more likely than with a QB who makes more mistakes even if he throws for more yards.

Another way to put it is that football IS a team game. Games are rarely won solely by the QB ... but, as I pointed out a few posts ago, they are often lost by the mistakes a QB make.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh boy, I'm not even going to get into this any further. Holy cow are some people so damn sensitive. FOR THE GAME YESTERDAY, SMITH SIMPLY DID VERY LITTLE AND THEY STILL WON. Nothing wrong with that at all, doesn't mean I said anything about the entire season.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
UofMfan909 wrote:
oldman9er wrote:
J-ALL-DAY wrote:

If it's so easy not to throw ints then why do some guys seem to do it often, and why does Alex always seem to be amoung the league leaders in lowest int rate? It simply is not true at all that any QB can play error-free ball as consistently as Alex.

Did you read my post on how "Alex Ball" is statistically conducive to winning under the right scenario? You've quoted me three times now with implications that I'm trying to detract from what Smith is. I'm not. I'm just not willing to overemphasize his contributions. He was mediocre against Buffalo and I'm confident that most replacement level QBs would have led the team to victory yesterday as well. That doesn't mean that it's been the case all season. He threw for 124 yards on 4.3 yards per attempt and no touchdowns. They played arguably the second worst team in the AFC who started an undrafted rookie at quarterback and those were the numbers he put up. The game would've been a blowout had the Chiefs' offense showed up. Did he help his team by not throwing any picks? Sure. Would starting any QB in the 20-25ish range for KC have ended with the game in Buffalo's favor? I doubt it.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 85, 86, 87 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 86 of 100

Jump to: