Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Just How Good Is Our Front 7?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
charger-man

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:35 pm    Post subject: Just How Good Is Our Front 7? Reply with quote

My excitement about our season was tempered somewhat by the trio of offensive injuries (Gaither, Mathews, Brown). There's no denying that our offense will miss those guys and Rivers will have to shoulder a big load like he did in 2010.

But what gets me excited about this upcoming season is our revamped front 7. Getting pressure has been our defense's Achilles heel for a few seasons running. Partly because of bad defensive coordinators, but mostly because the personnel just wasn't there. I think AJ finally addressed that during the offseason. He drafted two highly athletic pass rushers and added a veteran run stopper. I think we've had talent at linebacker before, but never has our defensive line been as deep as it is now. Corey Liuget, Kendell Reyes, Cam Thomas, Antonio Garay, Aubrayo Franklin, Vaughn Martin. That is a young, athletic line that will be fresh and able to free up our outside rushers.

I'm looking specifically at English and Ingram. We know what Phillips and Barnes can do, but will our first round pick linebackers live up to their selection? (English has some work to do on that front) I think so, especially with that defensive line in front of them.

Our inside linebackers are class as well. Takeo still has something in the tank and I think Donald Butler will take a David Harris-like jump this season. Mouton is a bit of an unknown (haven't heard much about him during TC), but will serve as depth along with Demorrio Williams.

So tell me, am I just grasping at straws in order to get pumped for the season, or is there something here?
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you have good reason to be excited about that group. It may be the bright spot of the team right now. The vets are dependable, and the young guys are exciting.

"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar"
kramxel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do me a favou and continue focusing on that front 7, because the rest of the D is a big question.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
charger-man

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramxel wrote:
Do me a favou and continue focusing on that front 7, because the rest of the D is a big question.

It just depends on Quentin Jammer, to be honest. If he's washed up it's going to be a long year. At least we have the best FS in the league.
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

charger-man wrote:
kramxel wrote:

It just depends on Quentin Jammer, to be honest. If he's washed up it's going to be a long year. At least we have the best FS in the league.

I think Jammer will get help from the big guys actually getting pressure this year. He's definitely not fast enough to run with the top WR's anymore, but he still has the skills to be good. Cason scares me every time the ball goes in his direction.

There's a lot of hope for a pass rush this year. There's enough depth that Phillips can stay fresh. We know Barnes can bring it, and by the look of it, so can Ingram. I'm sure we'll see all 3 of those guys on passing downs.
All of the DE's can penetrate this time around, which should give the OLB's even more of an opportunity. The front 7 may be the DB's savior this year.

"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: