Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Bradford-Givens Deep Ball
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jrry32

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Bradford-Givens Deep Ball Reply with quote

We're actually all wrong in what we thought during the game. I just reviewed the play on the coaches film function.

Givens didn't beat his guy early, the safety was deep and Sam wasn't late on the throw.

Here's the play:

We were all wrong. It really shows how little you see on regular TV. I also watched it from another angle directly behind Sam. What happens on the play is that Sam initially looks to Givens and Amendola. Both are covered due to Detroit being in deep zones. Bradford then looks to Kendricks in the flat who is wide open. Bradford turns his body to Kendricks and pump fakes. Florence sees this and turns his head to Kendricks while stopping his back-pedal. At that exact moment, Bradford resets his feet and body and throws a bomb to Givens who has separated from the safety and Florence due to both getting caught by Bradford's fake.

Bradford's timing was dead on and his fake is what drew in the safety and Florence getting Givens the separation. He just wasn't able to step into the throw after resetting his feet and didn't quite get enough on a ball that traveled 55 to 60 yards.

However, as shown in the final picture, Givens had the ball in his arms. If that's Fitzgerald, Calvin or another top WR, that's a catch. Givens attacked the ball the wrong way.

Honestly, while the ball was underthrown, from an execution standpoint, Sam was pretty amazing on the play.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
kgarrett12486

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was an amazing play just upon initial glance, I'm even more impressed now with this view...

He threw the ball off his back foot, on like his 4th read, after pump faking the CB/S off the man and managed to get 55-60 yards on it with pretty good trajectory...

Abeit, the throw was a tad underthrown/late, but like you said, the ball hit Givens in the hands...

IDOG_det on the sig...
S-jax39

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our wrs have to make that play, man. Those plays change games. So frustrating.

Also on our first third down, Bradford had a WR open for a touchdown....amendola cut in the middle and the safety came up to stop him. Hes gotta start taking some shots downfield more.
jrry32

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

S-jax39 wrote:

Also on our first third down, Bradford had a WR open for a touchdown....amendola cut in the middle and the safety came up to stop him. Hes gotta start taking some shots downfield more.

If you're talking about our first 3rd down of the game, I watched the play and am not seeing what you're seeing. Amendola was open for a first and Bradford hit him. The other WRs were all decently covered. Smith was 1 on 1 on the outside to the left but he definitely wasn't open for a TD.

El ramster

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff man.. I'm going to rewatch the game later..
Sam at times can move more in the pocket.. I like you
get frustrated by that. We know he can, He did last year vs
the Ravens and other countless times.. His rookie year he
would move a lot. I just don't understand.. But all the pumps
he did in the play was fun to watch, not to mention
all those Linemen around him.. I believe so much it's not even
funny. Something about this kid that I love. The way he led us
down the field was a thing of beauty. He did it vs san fran as well
his rookie year. I was telling my self there is no way in hell
he can lead us down, yet he did... Threw a strike to Fells but
he dropped it..

I will say that the difference between Spags era and
Fisher led WR's for the moment it's NIGHT AND DAY.. Amendola
man, that dude has stickem.. Gibson who has frustrated me
stepped up huge.. The kid can dance.. But lacks focus.. Looks
like he's focused for now.. Love what Givens can bring.. I still feel like
kendricks should see more PT.. He's a mismatch and can run
with the ball. Quick is a guy I can't wait to see. Kid attacks the ball..

Hopefully he turns out like Quinn last year. Deactivated a few games and then comes up strong..

Sam has all the makings.. But thru out the first few QTRS.. I don't know if it was him or play calling.. But the offense struggles a lot.. We tried to feed Sjax too many times.. Lions kept waiting for the run, we should have thrown some bootlegs. More screens to Sjax.. Ball was moving just fine..

BBL

mozwanted wrote:
I'm beginning to like the rg3 trade
S-jax39

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
S-jax39 wrote:

If you're talking about our first 3rd down of the game, I watched the play and am not seeing what you're seeing. Amendola was open for a first and Bradford hit him. The other WRs were all decently covered. Smith was 1 on 1 on the outside to the left but he definitely wasn't open for a TD.

He had a clear step on the CB before Bradford threw the ball. I understand Bradford had Amendola open on the play, but bradford barely ever takes these type of shots you know? Just like he had kendricks wide open for a td but dumped it off to Sjax...

I completely understand him going to amendola and we did get the third down but at some point hes going to have to be more aggressive imo.
ctp2124

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post Jrry. I love it when you show us things like this.

Props to mike23md

Supporter of Mohammed Sanu and Lavonte David to the Rams
California Ram

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bradford already had linemen in front of him , the way I seen it is he wasnt able to completely step Into that throw ! Again I think it is correctable & something they will fix & get dwn in practice ...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

S-jax39 wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
S-jax39 wrote:

He had a clear step on the CB before Bradford threw the ball. I understand Bradford had Amendola open on the play, but bradford barely ever takes these type of shots you know? Just like he had kendricks wide open for a td but dumped it off to Sjax...

I completely understand him going to amendola and we did get the third down but at some point hes going to have to be more aggressive imo.

I was and am legitimately disappointed with the Jackson checkdown but not with that play. There's a difference between being aggressive and overzealous. It's 3rd down. Bradford has Amendola wide open for an easy first down. Why would you risk throwing a bomb to Smith who has at most a step on the defender? Deep balls are ridiculously unreliable. The best in the league complete 45 to 50% of them. They're very tough throws to make. You don't pass up an easy first on 3rd down for a tough throw that's very hit or miss.

JMO though.

Ramsman2881

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone post a picture of the play where Sam checked down to Jackson instead of throwing to kendricks, would like to see that thanks

^^El Ramster^^
tone

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Bradford-Givens Deep Ball Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:

I love bradford but this ball is late in the NFL you cant wait to your guy is open you have to know when he will be open and be able to throw them open. The ball should be thrown when hes even "if he's even he's Leavin".
Also it would've been nice to see it more than once
jrry32

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:27 am    Post subject: Re: Bradford-Givens Deep Ball Reply with quote

tone wrote:
jrry32 wrote:

I love bradford but this ball is late in the NFL you cant wait to your guy is open you have to know when he will be open and be able to throw them open. The ball should be thrown when hes even "if he's even he's Leavin".
Also it would've been nice to see it more than once

I don't think you understand the issue. The guy got open because Bradford turned towards Kendricks in the flat and pump faked. Bradford threw the ball to Givens immediately after he reset.

The throw was not late. There would have been no throw if Bradford had not pump faked.

Ramsfan28

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post! I know a lot of us were giving Bradford a hard time for that throw, but this changes everything. You're right, had that been Fitz, CJ, AJ, that would have been a catch. I just hope Bradford gets another chance to make this throw in the future.

Adopt-a-Ram
CB Janoris Jenkins
9 TKL, 1 FF

ViolentMonk71 wrote:

We're football fans...reactionary, delusional, and passionate...
S-jax39

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely agree that he made the right decision with throwing it to amendola. Im just saying I see a pattern with Bradford to not go for the big play and to take the easy pass. Sometimes we need him to be more aggressive.

I dont see why with the lions DBs we werent taking more shots. We can do the same thing next week, because the skins secondary isnt particularly good either. Im STILL annoyed at the give up plays on third down. Thats some spags crap right there.
Special Teamer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bradford can set up the plays and that's great and all... but he under threw him. I guess it's something to be excited about but he needs to complete the entire play.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: