Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Gameday Thread: Rams vs. Lions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 22, 23, 24  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chris00cm

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll see what happens. I just don't see how anyone can expect the defense to shut down the Redskins after their performance this week.

Obviously it's only week one but if we can hold the Redskins to 24 or so points we should be satisfied. They offer one thing the Lions don't have, which is a running game. Passing game isn't as strong but they can throw off the run, which is the only reason why the Lions won today. Kevin Smith was the difference maker.

Xbox Live Gamertag: Chris Sanity
stlblackshirt

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest takeaway from this game is that it's awesome to FINALLY have a football coach and staff that performs.
DEE RAWL

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite a bit of a heartbreaking let down at the end... The defense looks tremendous and one of our weaknesses (secondary) could very well now be considered a strength. Janoris Jenkins... Cortland Finnegan... Nuff said.

Very scary with Saffold. I hope hes back very shortly. I still think Bradford holds onto the ball a bit longer than he should but he still played very well and didnt turn the ball over which is huge. How we lost with a +3 turnover margin is beyond me.

We need to establish the running game a bit better which is obvious. Kendricks is under utilized in my opinion.

My question is why didnt Pettis and Quick really play?..

This one really hurt but there are signs of positivity that was not there last year... And the year before that... And before that...
jrry32

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris00cm wrote:
We'll see what happens. I just don't see how anyone can expect the defense to shut down the Redskins after their performance this week.

Obviously it's only week one but if we can hold the Redskins to 24 or so points we should be satisfied. They offer one thing the Lions don't have, which is a running game. Passing game isn't as strong but they can throw off the run, which is the only reason why the Lions won today. Kevin Smith was the difference maker.

Shut down? That's something different than saying they aren't as good as Detroit.

They surprised the heck out of NO this week by running an offense NO has never seen. It was brilliant. But we now have game film. It's not going to catch us by surprise. They basically ran an offense similar to Baylor's at the NFL level.

Plus we have 2 really talented pass rushing ends and an excellent group of CBs. I like our chances defensively to keep the Skins from putting up a lot of points(hold them between 17 and 24 imo). But I do have questions about how our offense will perform against their D especially if Saffold is out(which seems likely).

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
El ramster

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riftt wrote:
I've been reading and posting on occasion on these forums for years, so I know some of your names quite well and how die hard some of you are. We live and die with this team.

Lets be honest guys. This was the best opener we have had in years. We went toe to toe with a playoff team. We kept Calvin out of the endzone and our defense looked AMAZING. Bradford played like a guy who could become the guy lol.

The loss sucks, but the signs are there, Things are looking better.

True but we had a similar start eith spags vs the Cards.
we were all so pumped. Im still keeping expectations down
But its so hard because we faced a really good lions squad.
Last year Sam was killed by Rak and Kereigan. They left
him bloody and beat up! Still Sam stayed strong and we almost
Won the Game. I have a great feeling vs DET. Plus Chris.
SPAGS does not have his defensive personel. He has zone coverage
corners not Bump and Run. You gotta remember that. Plus

Im still shocked how well DETS oline played.
Matt was only hit twice. I doubt Quinn and
Long are kept in check vs Wash.

mozwanted wrote:
I'm beginning to like the rg3 trade
kgarrett12486

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DEE RAWL wrote:
My question is why didnt Pettis and Quick really play?

Pettis is suspended for the PED violation IIRC...

Quick was on the field for a few snaps, he's still dinged up though from what I've read...

IDOG_det on the sig...
RIP "El Fenomeno" - Oscar Taveras
ctp2124

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My impression with the game is that we were hurting a lot by missing our DTs. We never came close to putting any pressure up the middle so Stafford had clean windows to throw and didn't have to drop back far negating Long and Quinns speed on the outside. Our interior line really struggled once Wells went down (we were lucky to get that fumble back).

I would like to see Richardson get 6-8 touches a gane. He hits the holes so hard. Could be dangerous in the receiving game if we can get him the ball in space.

I know he had a good game, but that Gibson penalty was an absolute killer.

Anybody recall how far Sam threw the ball in the air on the Givens play? I don't know if he underthrew it or if that is the limit of his arm strength.

After a day, I am pleased with the result and think we will beat the Skins next week.

Props to mike23md

Supporter of Mohammed Sanu and Lavonte David to the Rams
DEE RAWL

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgarrett12486 wrote:
DEE RAWL wrote:
My question is why didnt Pettis and Quick really play?

Pettis is suspended for the PED violation IIRC...

Quick was on the field for a few snaps, he's still dinged up though from what I've read...

Ahhhh I totally forgot. Rookie mistake.
StLunatic88

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ctp2124 wrote:
My impression with the game is that we were hurting a lot by missing our DTs. We never came close to putting any pressure up the middle so Stafford had clean windows to throw and didn't have to drop back far negating Long and Quinns speed on the outside. Our interior line really struggled once Wells went down (we were lucky to get that fumble back).
Man was this true. I know some people have praised Cudjo, but he isnt good enough to be relied on. A few snaps he can provide some relief and not get us killed, but coming out of Half Time we were running a 3 DE set because the other DT spot (not Langford) was giving us nothing, and the posibility of them being blown apart in their run game was worth the risk to get some pass rush. We need Brockers back, maybe Conrath can add something if Brockers isnt ready for next week.

Quote:
I would like to see Richardson get 6-8 touches a gane. He hits the holes so hard. Could be dangerous in the receiving game if we can get him the ball in space.
Man are some getting way ahead of themselves with D-Rich. This isnt even a Richardson/Pead thing. Its nice to have a fun new toy, but he isnt as good as Steven. Jackson needs to get more touches, thats who they need to go to, not anyone else.

Quote:
I know he had a good game, but that Gibson penalty was an absolute killer.
Meh... Didnt effect much, still got the FGout of the drive, and there likely wouldnt have been room for a 17 yard catch from Amendola if it wasnt 3rd & 24.

Quote:
Anybody recall how far Sam threw the ball in the air on the Givens play? I don't know if he underthrew it or if that is the limit of his arm strength.
The actual distance Im not sure. BUt you have to also realize Givens was his last read, he saw him at the last second while he was backing away from a pocket that was breaking down and threw that ball off his back foot.

Sam should have made a better throw, step into it and hit Givens in stride for a TD. Im not trying to absolve him of a mistake, Im just pointing out there isnt a reason to question his arm strength
ramsfan55

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any word on Saffold? How long do they think he will be out?
StLunatic88

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ramsfan55 wrote:
Any word on Saffold? How long do they think he will be out?
They were keeping him in the hospital overnight for observation, with an injury this potentially serious, I would expect atleast this week.

But Fisher did say Saffold not only had mobility in all extremities, but also strength in them, which is a great sign.

I would say we can hope it was just a stinger, and the immediate shock and pain is what caused Roger to go down on his own, and everything there after was just precautionary.

A chance he is ready this week for Washington, but its probably more realistic to look at Week 3 in Chicago as a return date.
ctp2124

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Richardson just gives us a nice wrinkle into our offense. I think we can use him in a McCluster-ish role except more of a runner than receiver where his touches won't really cut into Steven's too much.

Props to mike23md

S-jax39

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basic thoughts on the game now its not in the heat of the moment....

Sam Bradford couldve played better. He was decent, but its his third year and we need him to start taking that next step especially against a secondary like the Lions. The 'give up' plays on third down imo are REALLY frustrating. Let Sam throw the ball, hes a smart qb and understands the situation. Hes not going to throw the pick. We protected him better then I thought he would also. He left some points on the board but meh. Still couldve won.

Defense was great, no need to say anything about them. They couldnt stop the lions at the end but we cant be mad at that with how they played. We clearly missed Brockers and Stewart.

Amendola was nice. So glad we have him back! Give quick and Givens more playing time. Gibson came up big, but i cant shake the feeling hes waiting to have a crucial drop.

We have some bad luck with injuries too. Its so tough to be a rams fan sometimes.

Also, the reactions going on against the redskins are hilarious. Imo we match up well with them. Our DEs > their tackles. Our Secondary > their WRs. Imo, its all going to come down to how the offense performs, the defense should be able to get it done. Impressed by RG3, but the saints defense cant tackle, cover or pressure the qb. We just held megatron without a td and forced a qb who threw for over 5000 yards and 41 tds to one td and three picks.

Im hoping we are looking at trades for WRs or linemen. Any boost on offense could be a HUGE boost on defense for the WHOLE team.
ctp2124

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing, that 3rd and 11 shovel pass was ridiculous.

Props to mike23md

IncuRAM

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First post here everybody. I live in Baltimore, but have been a die-hard Rams' fan since '98 (which doesn't make life easy around these parts). Was a young teen during the formulation of the GSOT and fell in love with everything about the franchise and it's players back then, and never looked back. I've contributed on Rams' message boards off and on for years, but haven't been able to find an active board that I really enjoyed being a part of. I decided to give a read to most of the pre-season and now regular season discussion here and people for the most part seem to be pretty knowledgeable and fun, so I think I'll give this place a try.

The Fisher hire had me very excited for the direction of this team moving into the future. The culture of losing has become so much a part of this Rams organization for the last decade that I really thought they needed to go with a no-nonsense, experienced coach who was up to the task of instilling a brand new attitude in the franchise. I was relatively happy with the way the draft looked on paper, with pieces put in place to give us what could be a considerable defense (albeit young) and at least some potential on offense.

As for the first game, it's a mixed bag. On one hand, I'm incredibly excited that we actually looked competitive and didn't just roll over and get embarassed as has been the case in a number of games for a long, long time. Fisher's mentality and experience seemed to be evident in the fact that the defense seemed a lot tougher, and we hung toe to toe with probably one of the top 4 to 6 teams in the NFC until the last 5 seconds. The defense has more playmakers for sure. Against a QB with a slower release or less receiving weapons, I think Quinn and Long will wreak some havoc too. On the other hand, moral victories are beginning to lose their meaning when your a Rams fan, because at a certain point you simply want a freaking WIN regardless of how it comes about or how good/bad/ugly any aspect of the game looked. In order for this franchise to ever be heading in the right direction, the players/staff need to find a way to start consistently turning these close disappointments into victories. The offense is still one of the most meager in the NFL, albeit with the potential to at least keep us in games this year if Sam can make quicker reads and we can get anything out of relatively deep WR core.

All in all, I feel more positive than negative about this season and the Rams' future. Hope to have some fun gameday and midweek discussions with everybody! GO RAMS!!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 23 of 24

Jump to: